PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Anime

Robosockmonkey
12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
...or animes, you aren't limited to just one.

For me the top five would have to be, in no particular order:
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (I havn't seen the entire movie of G in the S yet, but the show is great)

Jeanox
12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Scrapped Princess

falmith
12-05-2004, 08:09 PM
...I'm curious to know, though. What did you like about Samurai 7?

what comes to mind right now for me is:
Hikaru no Go
Read or Die

if you included manga, I'd say FMA, too.

noah of the howards
12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Hah, shamefully I am limited to Adult Swim and Cartoon Network and a couple of bootlegs. So far though, I have to say Hellsing, Full Metal Alchemist and FLCL. Inuyasha is getting pretty good though.

Cruiser18
12-05-2004, 10:22 PM
whew I have quite a few favorites.

Scrapped princess, Gundam seed, Fullmetal Alchemist, Chrno Crusade, Escaflowne, Last exile and Full metal panic. :)

Dendrobium_Zero
12-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Hajime no Ippo, Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Desinty, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gunparade March

Hiltz
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Cowboy Bebop - Characters are someof the most interesting in all of anime and the ending alone was an unforgettable one

Ninja Scroll - Has some of the coolest group of villains in all of anime
(just my opinion)

Akira - Just one of those movies I'll never forget
(Awesome bikes and great villain)

Outlaw Star - Never thought space battling can get so wierd but so fun to watch

Wolf's Rain - One of the most unique storylines I've seen in a very long time and a pretty tragic ending (for anyone who has watched it)

I would have put Ghost in the Shell:STA on my list but it tends to be rather confusing with all the complex dialouge and situations for the average viewer to realize what is going on until you finally understand it. I also like Full Metal Alchemist but I'd have to wait for later episodes to see just how good it can get.

cyprox
12-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist.

X Chris
12-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Tokyo Godfathers (http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/tokyogodfathers/index.html). One of the best movies I've ever seen, let alone animations.

MaDPoWer
12-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Evangelion
Last Exile
Lain
Hellsing
Gundam Wing
Ghost in the shell 1 and 2

Tharrick
12-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Hmmm

I think mine are (no order)

Hellsing
NGE
GITS:SAC
GITS the film

ury2ok2000
12-06-2004, 05:53 AM
My top 5.

1rst. Now and Then Here and There. I pick this one as first because it is successfully conveys such a dark theme and is perhaps the only anime that i had to see the rest of as soon as it came out becuase it made me care about the characters unlike any anime i have seen to date(and ive seen alot heh).

2nd. Razephone. This anime is very confusing. To be honest when i was done with it i was still confused. However when i looked up on a website on what the anime was about i realized that it was an indeed clever series. (partly my confusion was due to having dropped the series for a couple of months then starting back into it). This one scores 2nd also for my favorite death scene where the unknowing hero kills someone he holds dear without even realizing it.

3rd. Berserk. Initially i hated this one because the animation wasnt particularly good but i stuck with it and it turned out to be really good. (cant wait for the ps2 game i hope it comes to america....)

4th. Infinite Ryvius. Kinda tired of typing so let me just say that characters switch places alot wich makes every dvd interesting and ending was cool.

5. Evangelion. Should probably have scored this higher but i honestly havnt seen the whole series just bits and pieces. But they were reaaally good bits and pieces.

ok bye.

I Like Pie
12-06-2004, 08:15 AM
FLCL
Big O (not sure if that's an anime or not but it ROCKS)
Escaflowne
Fullmetal Alchemist
G Gundam

I havent seen a lot of those (especially Escaflowne) in a long time but I love em all, especially FLCL for itss sheer randomness (the scary part is you actually start to understand it the more you see it, its a sign that you're going crazy :eek2: )

aisuru
12-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Initial D

Oceans Andrew
12-06-2004, 09:35 AM
rahxephon was the best full length tv series i've seen. great characters, excellent art, and a complex story that never insulted your intelligence by putting in bullshit just so it would appear superficially deep. The unintentional death was a total surprise, and very moving.

the kenshin ova is also awesome. the style was excellent, and the music made me get over my utter distaste for the horrible tv show and make me want to watch it, and I wasn't disappointed.

FtheFAIR
12-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Samurai Champloo
Escaflowne

Robosockmonkey
12-06-2004, 05:12 PM
I guess I'll give my reasonings for my top five.

Samurai Champloo- It was made by the same people as Cowboy Bebop, so you know the character designs are going to be good (if you havn't seen it). It has some of the greatest fight scenes of any anime I've ever seen, and all the music is Hip Hop along with many Hip Hop themes throughout the show.

Samurai 7- Based on the classic film 7 Samurai. It has some good animation and fight scenes. I just like it.

Cowboy Bebop- Characters, story, everything about this show was great. I also liked how Spike actually would get hurt and actually have to deal with it (something in Samurai Champloo as well).

FLCL- Random, funny, actiony, fighting robots, I don't think I have to go further.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC- Great animation as well as plots. It also has some good action.

Onwakariudo
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
GITS: SAC (never seen the movies, but I really want to!)
Witch Hunter Robin
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu-Yu Hakusho
FLCL
Spirited Away, Millenium Actress, CITS, etc. (anything by Miyazaki)
The Animatrix
FMA
ROD

dfacto
12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Macross Plus - Human drama with mecha kickass thrown in for good measure.

Escaflowne movie - Awesome animation, solid plot, and the mood was perfect.

Cowboy Bebop - Best anime show ever probably. It was mature and didn't disintegrate into random bullshit and childish Japanese cliches like giant hammers.

Wings of Hanneamise - The more I see it the more I like it. An honest to god thoughtful movie that doesn't need mechs, airheaded chicks, loud annoying kids, or any other amount of crap to be a great film. Not something to watch if you need to get a fix of action though.

Oh, and the animation is the best I've EVER seen.

noah of the howards
12-06-2004, 06:46 PM
OMG....I forgot about Beebop and Esca.

I have all of Escaflowne (soundtracks and everything) and wish I had Beebop.

For three full years Chain and Epsitle and Machine soldier were my favorite songs...I am a bad fan :squint:

I will now commit fan suicide for my ignorance...

Ummhmm
12-06-2004, 09:26 PM
FLCL
Inuyasha
Last Exile
Rurouni Kenshin
Witch Hunter Robin
Read or Die
Fullmetal Alchemist
Wolf's Rain
Gundam Seed

Hiltz
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I never could stand the animation stlye of Rurouni Kenshin, something about it really bothered me. The series was kind of lame with its cheesy sense of humor but the action scenes and cast of villains were good. Although I got a bit annoyed at some of the villains like Makoto Shishio who kept going on about how the the weak are unfit and only the strong survive. It was like "Yeah, we get the point.Take out your sword and fight already before you kill the viewers with all of your ranting."

Speaking of Inuyasha, does anyone have any idea when new episodes will begin airing again?

Jeanox
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
"Yeah, we get the point.Take out your sword and fight already before you kill the viewers with all of your ranting."

:laugh:

noah of the howards
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Itd did get old, I got really tired about waiting five or six episodes to see this ultimate technique used. Still, I loved it, the movie was even better (Samaurai X). I notice a lot of the english version animes are cheesy, i think most of the time Japanese humor gets lost in translation.

oolong
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
ultimate Muscle Champion

Eolatria
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
FLCL, Trigun and Jester. ANd am I the only one who doesn't like Escaflowne?

Sevyr
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Vampire Princess Miyu is exceptionally freaky. I like..

Also, The sailormoon Manga (NOT THE CRAPPY ANIME)

Read or die,

FLCL,

Love Hina,

Please Teacher,

GTO,

Dirty BASTARD!!

Escaflowne

Hiltz
12-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I haven't seen Escaflowne either. tear:

Man, what an ironic way for Makoto Shishio to die. Not only did he prove that he was weak by defeating himself for surpassing the 15 minute time limit thingy, but it went against that one comment he kept on repeating to Kenshin and the other characters.

I just watched Blue Submarine # 6 on the Adult Swim on Demand channel the other day for a second time, that Shark villain on that Phantom Ship is cool in an ugly sort of way! :

Robosockmonkey
12-07-2004, 04:04 PM
What is Adult Swim on Demand? Is it related to TiVo or something?

Aires
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Man that shark, Verge, have notice what he does when he gets pissed off,
freaking hilarious

Oh,
Last Exile
Blue Sub no. 6
Perfect blue

Opaldarkness
12-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, Weiss Kreuz, Fullmetal Alchemist, Houshin Engi, Dragon Knights.

Hiltz
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure how else you can get the channel but I got it from buying digital cable from time warner. They gave me a list of several channels and one of the newest channels is called Adult Swim On Demand * Free*.

It's basically a seperate channel where it only shows a few selected shows that stay like that for one whole week from the former shows on cartoon network's adult swim. The cool thing about it is that since it is also an I-control remote feature I have the ability to pause,rewind,stop, and fast forward the show anytime I want. Another cool thing is that most of the On Demand * Free* channels are commercial free which is awesome.

These are some of the stuff it has shown:

-Movies -
Blue Submarine # 6
Kikaider the Animation
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Gundam f-91 (something like that)

-Tv series-
Scryed (currently showing)
Outlaw Star (the first series shown until they canceled it after episode 3)
Witch Hunter Robin (currently showing)
Big O ( they stopped showing this series)
.Hack//Sign (currently showing)

I'll have to watch the movie again because I don't remember what Verge does. I'll have up till tomorrow to watch it until the channel gets updated and might replace the movie with something else.

Robosockmonkey
12-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Figures it had to do with digital cable.

Snowfox
12-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Ah, I still liked that saga of Kenshin the best. I even liked all the cheezy dialogue, because it seemed nicely dramatic and maniacal to me.

Drawing Guy
12-08-2004, 01:52 PM
(In no particular order)

Scrapped Princess, RahXephon, Ghost in the Shell (both movie and series), Evangelion, Mezzo.

the real bamph
12-08-2004, 02:35 PM
here in Romania we don't have much to choose from, but... Transformers, Transformers Energon and Ghost in the Shell

FigureFour
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Man, I bought Wings of Honneamise like, weeks ago cause I always have wanted to see it. But I can't watch it cause my roomate sold our dvd player.

Drawing Guy
12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
The advantage of living in a country that doesn't have much anime licensed is that you can get it for free off the net. My Scrapped Princess is off the net, and I have the fan-subbed version of GITS:SAC before it got licensed, and the DVDs when it came out. I have a thing for showing my respect for a good movie by purchasing it when it becomes licensed. :D That gives them more money so they can produce more... despite the fact that a middle-man is often introduced in the process.

FigureFour
12-08-2004, 05:51 PM
A lot of people here seem to like GITS:SAC. Is it any good?

I loved the two movies, and the manga, but haven't gotten around to watching the series.

Does it live up to it's predecssors? How does it compare?

Hiltz
12-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I own the first 2 volumes of Ghost in the Shell:STAC, the first few episodes are rather dull compared to the later episodes. It seems to be like each new episode is like a more sophisticated police investigation type of scenario. They try to find who the bad guy or bad guys involved in commiting the crime and try to deal with them by any means necessary, but they don't like have a license to kill anyone they want. Keep in mind that not all of the bad guys are necesarry human lol.

I only had 2 real problems with this series so far.

I thought it had way too much "complex" dialouge in many of the episodes that I've seen so far.

Having a hard time clearly understanding the point of each new episode's investigation. That is, until it slowly becomes slightly easier to understand over time the more you continue to watch. Although it can easily be made up for by relying more by simply watching the characters act out in the scenes than trying to understand everything the characters talk about, in relation to stuff like laws and investigation procedure mumbo jumbo.

The second thing concerns all the cybernetic stuff. At times I get confused as to who is a normal human being and who is part cyborg let alone who maybe a full cyborg for that matter. There's some visual signs for you to identify who has some artificifial implants to them which I think is like a showing of a transparent square shape sign usually found on people's heads; some being found near the sides of the head or behind the head.

Robosockmonkey
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Hiltz, have you seen the first Ghost in the Shell movie (I havn't seen the second one)? Well if you haven't I suggest you should. I just recently saw the entire thing (in stead of bits and pieces), and it actually makes the show a little easier to understand. It is pretty much just like the show, so it can be a bit confusing at times as well, but not as much.

Hiltz
12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Unfortunetly, I haven't seen any other Ghost in the Shell anime other than the Stand Alone Complex series. Is the first movie on dvd? I may be able to buy it with my gift card I got for as an early Christmas gift.

Robosockmonkey
12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I think both of them are on DVD now, the first has been for years. The second came out in theaters earlier this year, so it may not be on DVD yet.

Hiltz
12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay, I'll see if I can find the first one.Oh right, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was recently in theaters, but none near me, I forgot all about that.

Robosockmonkey
12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
One major difference from the show is that Majo Kusanagi (the main character) has to be naked to turn invisible... something I didn't really get seeing how this dude turns invisible with some cloak thing and in the show she turns invisible wearing cloths.

Ummhmm
12-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Speaking of Inuyasha, does anyone have any idea when new episodes will begin airing again?

I've heard January 6th but I'm not 100% sure since January 6th is a Thursday.

Hiltz
12-09-2004, 10:18 PM
One major difference from the show is that Majo Kusanagi (the main character) has to be naked to turn invisible... something I didn't really get seeing how this dude turns invisible with some cloak thing and in the show she turns invisible wearing cloths.

Heheh, now I'll have to definetly watch the it.

I think it is like the first episode where Section 9 storms that japanese restuarent to confront the geisha robots and they turn invisible, not sure how they did it though, even that one fully human guy was able to turn invisible so it may have been a suit they were all wearing.

I hope your right about Inuyasha.It took too long the first time around for Adult Swim to show off the last batch of new episodes lol. Although this time they have a more new shows airing in its place like Gits:STA and Full Metal Alchemist.

Vava2109
12-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Can i still post my favorite anime??? if so Its Inuyasha all the way, my friend introduced it to me and i loved at first episode . . . lol but any way thats what i think ok Vava over and out . . . P.S. poor me i dont have Cartoon Network to watch it anymore . . . .boo hoo for me . . . .

Hiltz
12-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Inuyasha, and I thought DBZ had a lot of filler episodes in it lol. The cast of characters is what keeps me watching it, otherwise the story plot would have gotten too old by now.

Drawing Guy
12-10-2004, 01:52 PM
LOL, man. She's not naked, just has an insanely tight skin-colored suit on (if you look closely, they don't quite match). That is the case becuase she does not want others to know that she wearing it... allowing her to go into places, strip the clothes she has over the suit, and get around with out them knowing she's the invisible one. I do have to admit it's hard to tell. :eek:

As for the comprehndability of the series and movie (the only epsiode I found 'slow' was the first one), I had no trouble with either, but that can be attributed to my being crazy. :p I only haven't seen the GITS: Innocence yet, and plan on buying it the second it hits shelves. :D

Hiltz
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Has anyone seen the Gits2: Innocence? I don't remember what people had to say about it back on the old forum.

slice
12-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Well, of all I've seen, Cowboy Bebop remains to be my favorite ANIME.

Manga is a different story though. :)

Robosockmonkey
12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
LOL, man. She's not naked, just has an insanely tight skin-colored suit on (if you look closely, they don't quite match). That is the case becuase she does not want others to know that she wearing it... allowing her to go into places, strip the clothes she has over the suit, and get around with out them knowing she's the invisible one. I do have to admit it's hard to tell. :eek:

Either way there is no real point to it whatsoever. Cool anime just the same. Besides that, I thought that the whole invisible thing was sort of built in to her body seeing how she is a cyborg.

Robosockmonkey
12-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the clarafication.

MaDPoWer
12-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Has anyone seen the Gits2: Innocence? I don't remember what people had to say about it back on the old forum.

i was one of the few that caught it in the theater. It should be on DVD in the US by the end of the month.

Hiltz
12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Too bad it wasn't released into more local theaters.

I just say the movie today actually.

I still think Gits's dialouge is typically confusing to understand when they get way too deep in the philosophy department and all and even some of the easier dialouge is hard to figure out. The action scenes were way cool in the few that it had. The only thing that bummed me about it was that I had to see it in Japanese with english subtitling, I really can't stand that and I wanted to listen to the character's english voices.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good movie, although I like Gits:SAC much better. because they show all of the characters. I wish the Major was actually in character, lol well in a way she was haha. Batou and Togusa took all the spotlight, but Batou is cool in the way he works and that dog he had was funny. Those dolls the where freaking creepy!

Steasaurus
12-11-2004, 05:27 AM
Good Movies (no order);
Wings of honneamise (first anime I ever bought) :D
Princess Mononoke (I don't need an excuse) :-P
Interstella 5555 (just because it's odd)
Perfect Blue (not because of nudey bit) ;)

Bad Movies (no order);
Akira (was over hyped when I got around to it and it didn't live up to it)
Shadow Skill (unfortunately I bought a dvd with only english language :confused: and that alone frankly made it suck major ass)

Good Series (no order);
Trigun (how can it not be included!?)
Chobits (yeah I'm a wuss, so what?)
Fist of the north star (maybe I'm not a wuss, I like exploding body parts)
Excel Saga (OMFG funny!)
Macross Plus (I like voices on the sound track)

Bad Series (no order);
Weiss Kreiss (or some crap like that... although it had an amazing death in the first ep lol)
DBZ (would have been alot better if the fights didn't last like 20 episodes, other than that it was great)

crap I forgot Full metal panic and full metal panic fumofu... they are simple amazing... at least up until what I've seen lol
look at teh lovely formatting skillz... ok so what if they're poop?

Chronos
12-11-2004, 07:26 AM
gundam 08 ms team
gundam wing
hellsing
cowboy bebop ;)

Robosockmonkey
12-11-2004, 12:49 PM
I liked Akira, and Shadow Skill. Some of the animation in Shadow Skill was crazy (that is if I am remembering correctly).

Alright this is not anime, but it is foreign. Has anyone else seen The Tripilets of Bellville? I have that movie and it is amazing. Great animation, crazy characters, and situations, and the story is one of the strangest I've come across in a while.

Bloodstar
12-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Favorite series:
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Cowboy Bebop

Rurouni Kenshin is good but sometimes there is alot of boring crap between all the fighting. It's still pretty good though. Inuyasha started dragging on... why the hell haven't they killed Naraku yet? Outlaw Star is good, but not my favorite. I just recently bought the DVD box set for that though. I'm trying to remember how much I liked Gundam Wing... been forever since I've seen it. Yu-Yu Hakusho is good for a little fighting action.

I need to see the Gits Movies though.

Edit: I forgot about Trigun. I have only seen a few episodes but that was a good show. DBZ I liked until after the frieza saga (that's a topic for another time though, and has already been discussed to death). Some of the old gundams were good too, but Cartoon Network never showed all the episodes...

CuriousJoe8
12-13-2004, 08:54 PM
wolf's rain, lupin the 3rd, trigun, rurouni kenshin, cowboy bebop....it goes on.....

Hiltz
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
I started to really appriciate Wolf's Rain towards the ending of the series. I thought it was almost as tragic as Cowboy Bebop's ending, that is until you know what happends after.

I just bought Ghost in the Shell:STA volume 3. The first episodewas a bit boring and pretty confusing but the others were great, especially Jungle Cruise!

bEhInD_yOu?
12-17-2004, 04:48 AM
I always like gunsmith cats for some unknown reason?

Supermanincarn
12-17-2004, 06:38 AM
I do enjoy; full metal alchemist, Gankutsuo, The Melody of Oblivion, Chrono Crusade, and Bleach!

oh and

NARUTO

Hiltz
12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I Just started watching Naruto.

One of the best fighting scenes I ever saw. Rock Lee vs. Gaara

Go "thick eyebrows!"

Robosockmonkey
12-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Has anyone else seen Dead Leaves? It was made by the same peple as FLCL,and it is just as strange. Somethig like 45 minutes of nonstop action and extreeme violence in a humorous sort of way. Saw it like a week ago, and it is now on my favorites list.

Naota
12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Read Or Die is my favorite anime.

mourning wood
12-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Has anyone else seen Dead Leaves? It was made by the same peple as FLCL,and it is just as strange. Somethig like 45 minutes of nonstop action and extreeme violence in a humorous sort of way. Saw it like a week ago, and it is now on my favorites list.

is that the one with the guy that has a t.v. for a head¿
:huh:

Cian
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
This is an easy choice mainly because Ive only watched one Anime movie( My God! Kino must be a freak!!!! Well Im not I just watch more tv shows) .The Cowboy Bebop movie.....the animation is incredible.

Robosockmonkey
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
is that the one with the guy that has a t.v. for a head¿
:huh:

Yeah, his name is Retro because the TV looks retro, the girl's name is Pandy because her eyes are different colors and one of them has a pink circle around it.

Robosockmonkey
12-30-2004, 01:23 PM
This is an easy choice mainly because Ive only watched one Anime movie( My God! Kino must be a freak!!!! Well Im not I just watch more tv shows) .The Cowboy Bebop movie.....the animation is incredible.
Have you seen Kino's Journey (it is aa show)?

Cruiser18
12-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Something I can always go back to watching is Gundam seed.

Not so much because of the storyline, more because of all the kickass mecha action you get. Lasers, rockets, swords ang explosions galore is something I never get tired of seeing.

Cian
12-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Have you seen Kino's Journey (it is aa show)?To be honest Ive never heard of it. Is it good?

Steasaurus
12-30-2004, 01:37 PM
although the animation is questionable Dragon half is the funniest anime...
I just have to see it now and confirm this "fact"

bigyellowlegoman
12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
This is an easy choice mainly because Ive only watched one Anime movie.

Hang on a minute there Kino, you've seen two, cowboy bebop and spirited away. Am i right?

Cian
12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Hang on a minute there Kino, you've seen two, cowboy bebop and spirited away. Am i right?Ok then I have seen two but you should know......damn it I cant think of a good excuse!...Oh well...That still doesnt change anything. Cowboy Bebop was better.

bigyellowlegoman
12-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah i guess it is, but you have to see the series! That was bloody amazing! The movie pales in comparison.

Cian
12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
I looked for the series in HMV but they were nowhere to be found. Oh well....Ill live on. Where did you buy them anyway?

bigyellowlegoman
12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
It was $20 dollars on ebay, which is brilliant considering you get 25 episodes and some trailers. Oh yeah, p&p cost $30 because it was sent from Hong Kong, which was crap. And you'll need a decent dvd player that'll play ntsc dvds unless you like watching stuff in black and white/ green.

Cian
12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I saw the whole collection http://www.manga.com for something like $34.99. Thats not right is it. My mistake. Anyway theres no chance of getting it in HMV?...I thought not

Robosockmonkey
12-30-2004, 03:52 PM
To be honest Ive never heard of it. Is it good?

It's alright, it's about a girl named Kino (that isn't her origional name, she took it from a travler who gave up his life to save hers) who travels from country to country on her moter-rad (a motercycle that talks) She can fight really good, but I wouldn't classify the show as action. It has some cool stories about the different countries and people she comes across.

Steasaurus
12-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Kino do you you guys have forbidden planet stores in ireland... we have em here in england. They usually have all kinds of series in stock and if tehy don't just start talking to the guys/gals in there and be all over enthusiastic about what ever it is and they usually get em in stock. Not sure if they'd actually order something in if you ask them straight up though lol

Steasaurus
12-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Oh wait... I have a carrier bag...
~Forbidden Planet International
Aberdeen Belfast Cardiff Derby Dublin Edinburgh Glasgow Hanley Leeds Leicester Manchester New York Middlesbourgh Nottingham Sheffield Wolverhampton Birmingham(nostalgia and comics) Liverpool(worlds apart)

It'll only really help if you live near one I guess... or if you're ever visiting one of those places you should call in and see what they have :)

Apricot
12-31-2004, 04:55 AM
Favourite anime!
Naruto, I am playing Naruto 2 on PS2 too. Is my favourite anime at the moment

Cian
12-31-2004, 05:13 AM
Oh wait... I have a carrier bag...
~Forbidden Planet International
Aberdeen Belfast Cardiff Derby Dublin Edinburgh Glasgow Hanley Leeds Leicester Manchester New York Middlesbourgh Nottingham Sheffield Wolverhampton Birmingham(nostalgia and comics) Liverpool(worlds apart)

It'll only really help if you live near one I guess... or if you're ever visiting one of those places you should call in and see what they have :)Well where Im living we dont. Ive never really heard of them,like that Anime with my name in it. They sound interesting though. Ill try and find some next time Im in the capital.

bigyellowlegoman
12-31-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah, i've been to the one in dublin, on liffey street. It's got loads of cool comics and toys and collector's stuff for nerds, but the dvds are way overpriced. I usually go in there any time i'm around but the only things i've ever bought are Akira on dvd and some resident evil 2 toys(when i was younger).

Cian
12-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah, i've been to the one in dublin, on liffey street. It's got loads of cool comics and toys and collector's stuff for nerds, but the dvds are way overpriced. I usually go in there any time i'm around but the only things i've ever bought are Akira on dvd and some resident evil 2 toys(when i was younger).How much are the DVDs? Im willing to pay any price to get some. Even if they arent that good.

bigyellowlegoman
12-31-2004, 07:15 AM
Dvds are between 30 and 40 euro, which isn't that bad, i suppose. You can probably get 3 episodes of a series on dvd for the same price.
Kino, you have to get Ghost in the Shell, it's excellent, and forbidden planet will definitely have that, they have all the famous ones like the latter, Akira, Spirited Away etc. and some you mightn't have heard of.

Steasaurus
12-31-2004, 10:16 AM
I mainly buy the mangas and if the rare occasion arises and they get toy tribe trigun action figure thing in that I don't already have... I want legato and wolfwood :(
The DVD's are usually around £20 here in crappy ol' england... I'm working on my Excel series on DVD... trying to finish off my chobits collection of manga... and as already stated waiting and praying for trigun toys lol there's a nice Hellsing bag for carrying sketch book type things around in I want but it's £40ish...

Fishlike Samurai
01-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Man, I should really see more real animes. And read more real mangas. I did see Ninja Scroll though, about 7 times. I love it. I think I do have Ghost in the Shell, Blood and Sin somewhere.....hmm. Though there must have been at least one cartoon that inspired me when I was only a little boy.....hmm what could it have been, sure there was one. *mumbles things to self* *still mumbling* What are you looking at? :mad:

Hiltz
01-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer Go!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Hiltz/speed_296.jpg

Onwakariudo
01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Man, I just got The Anime Network (http://www.theanimenetwork.com) and w/ my new DVD Recorder, I've been recording shows left and right. So far, I've got a solid collection of Mezzo and Peace Maker and I've recorded tons of movies such as Samurai X:The Movie, RahXephon: The Movie, Saiyuki: Requiem, and these old live action movies from the 60's called Yokai Monsters. Also, the channel has these things called "perfect sessions" where they show like a whole series of a show all at once, and I can just record the whole thing. However the channel has commercials, so unfortunately I have to go through and take them all out but it isn't that hard. I've been immersed into so much anime it's hard to have favorites.

Hiltz
01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Wait, do actually have the The Anime Network 24/7 channel or do you have The Anime Network channel *Free on Demand* channel that gets updated once a week usually with new content?

Cause the Free on Demand version generally is commericial free which is what I have through Time Warner HD digital cable.

If you have the 24/7 version then monkey balls in a barrel cause your lucky!

enid
01-09-2005, 01:42 AM
FLCL
Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Love Hina (the earlier episodes)
Tenchi Muyo
Outlaw Star
Ghost in the Shell (the movie and Stand Alone Complex)
Haibaine Renmei
Lain
Excel Saga

Fishlike Samurai
01-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Though there must have been at least one cartoon that inspired me when I was only a little boy.....

Oh, I remember now! That was probably Shinzo! (People start barfing) What? I was just a little kid :huh:

Unttisan
01-09-2005, 05:16 AM
Well i have watched following animes:

Neon genesis evangelion series and movies
The Slayers
Fushigi Yuugi
Galaxy Angels s1
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Tales of Eternia: the animation
Scrapped Princess

Neon Genesis Evangelion was the best of them, because the ending touched me somehow deeply.

Vava2109
01-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer Go!!

Bah. . . im too young to know what speed racer was lol Ah! ooh! Ah! Vava overand out . . .

Hiltz
01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Bah. . . im too young to know what speed racer was lol Ah! ooh! Ah! Vava overand out . . .

Your probably better off not knowing what it was lol.

Hiltz
01-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I haven't seen such an interesting anime series that brings in some heavy new things like Naruto has in such a long time.

And there's so many characters that have their own individuality and attitude and that's just awesome.

Vava2109
01-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Your probably better off not knowing what it was lol.
i do know some things but not enough to accualy know the accual story, all i know is some kid drives a fast car and some other things oh welll Vava ovver and out . . .

Hiltz
01-09-2005, 02:22 PM
A teenage race car driver named Speed goes on adventures with his girlfriend, his candy-crazed brother whose best friend is a monkey, and his mysterious brother Racer X (Real Name: Rex). His father, Pops, created the car he races in, the Mach 5. - Taken from Anime News Network

Well, back then it was either watch Looney Tunes or watch Speed racer and I was fed up with Looney Tunes.

Oh here we go, turn up your volume and listen to the flash intro and music to Speed Racer from the website. ;)

http://www.speedracer.com/ (brings back old memories)

The tv show made a come back in the 90's on Mtv and Cartoon Network.

Vava2109
01-09-2005, 02:30 PM
i like that so simple lol Vava over and out

Naota
01-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Simple yet brilliant Vava, simple yet brilliant.

By the way dont you dare insult speed racer, I also liked that show when I was little. Then they took it off the air and I was sad.

Robosockmonkey
01-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Just wached GITS: Innocence a couple of days ago. i liked it better than the first one. It is also on my favorites as well as the new Appleseed movie (which i just saw a couple of weeks ago)

Steasaurus
01-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I've just watched the first three episodes of Full Metal Alchemist and I was impressed... if I had every episode available I'd watch them all in a row only stopping to go to the toilet and maybe eat (but I can do that while I watch) that's how I watched trigun ^_^ I'm not crazy *_*

Naota
01-09-2005, 05:09 PM
LOL yeah Fullmetal Alchemist is a great title. I watched an episode last night. That whole thing about equivilent exchange is a little confusing, they kept talking about that in almost every scene.

I love the theme song on it, but the singer has an odd tone to his voice.

Hiltz
01-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm on episode 26 of Full Metal Alchemist and I'll just say that its get much deeper and all the more interesting.

Anyone see episode 116/117 special of Naruto? Man, that was pretty cool one.

Robosockmonkey
01-21-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm getting into Naruto, great show, I've seen up to episode 31.

Steasaurus
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
That whole thing about equivilent exchange is a little confusing, they kept talking about that in almost every scene.
It basically means because they are breaking down something and rebuilding it into something else they need the things to be of the same amount... thats why they can't make humans, because a life is apparently more valuable than anything. Or something.

Naota
01-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to make a conversation. I knew what it was. :poke:

Hiltz
01-21-2005, 08:47 PM
The one thing I don't understand about the "Equilvelant exchange" is when Ed uses alchemy to create the spear weapons he is so fond of. He just touches the ground but the ground remains the same after the spear is summoned. So what is he exchanging in order to create the spear?

My thought is that maybe it is just one of those things that is either a goof thanks to the show's production team or doesn't necessarily apply to exactly everything in the world of alchemy.

The show talks about it quite a few times but later on it gets to be much more understandable once you see the future episodes.

darkreaver
01-21-2005, 08:53 PM
hiltz: maybe I'm not rembering correctly, but the spear creation causes a shallow crater to be formed. Or, if not, maybe it simply leeches metal elements from the ground. or the ground becomes more porous.

In any case, I dont think there's a need to think too hard about it >_>

Hiltz
01-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Hmm, I don't ever remember seeing any craters of anykind but perhaps your theory of the metal elements in the ground could be it. Actually, I was just thinking the same thing before my last post but I had second thoughts and decided not to mention it. Oh no.. my head just exploded. I'll have to go get some duck tape for that, brb. :)

Ed gets pretty crafty with alchemy but I won't mention anything in particular.

Cruiser18
01-22-2005, 03:36 AM
The creators didn't make any mistakes or something. His transmutation of the ground leaves a crater around the tip of the spear:

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/digitalis/pic10.jpg

Cheesy-Scar
01-22-2005, 11:27 AM
i've only seen a few so i'd say my favourite was............................................... .................................................. ...um............................................. .................................................. Dirty Pair : Flash

FallenAngel
01-22-2005, 08:58 PM
the 2 most out standing anime series ive seen #1 ghost in the shell
#2 Chrono Srusade.

Hiltz
01-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the visual there Cruiser. :)

Ghost in the Shell:STA is just one of those animes that is the embodiement of originality as well as complex dialouge.

Cativo
01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I think I posted this in the old bbs....I'm one of the few who liked the Big O(don't be echi ;) ), I also recently bought FLCL after watching a music video at fileplanet! Great series....those are my favorites for the moment...I think I'll give GITS:SAC a try, I don't really like long series(don't want to expend that much).

Hiltz
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
So far GITS:SAC is 26 episodes long but there will be way more once the second season cames to Adult Swim in fall 2005. One perfect confusing episode would have to be Chat!Chat!Chat! where Major Kusanagi goes into a virtual chatroom to talk with other places about the recent developments over the Laughing Man case and boy I could barely comprehend what the hell the characters were trying to talk about lol.

Big 0... another first time watching & confusing anime series. What happend to that show anyway? They never finished the series on Adult Swim. The whole memory thing still confuses me a bit but they never got the chance to clearly explain everything unless future episode are shown.

FLCL. Great animation and what a bunch of short,whacky, random episodes lol. I liked this series but not so much loved it. ;D

Cativo
01-24-2005, 04:02 PM
So far GITS:SAC is 26 episodes long but there will be way more once the second season cames to Adult Swim in fall 2005. One perfect confusing episode would have to be Chat!Chat!Chat! where Major Kusanagi goes into a virtual chatroom to talk with other places about the recent developments over the Laughing Man case and boy I could barely comprehend what the hell the characters were trying to talk about lol.

Big 0... another first time watching & confusing anime series. What happend to that show anyway? They never finished the series on Adult Swim. The whole memory thing still confuses me a bit but they never got the chance to clearly explain everything unless future episode are shown.

FLCL. Great animation and what a bunch of short,whacky, random episodes lol. I liked this series but not so much loved it. ;D
...26 episodes...maybe I'll just watch the two movies...as for the Big O, it's 26 episodes total(2 seasons) with an ending that you have to see carefully to get it...any good non-demons, vampires, etc movies?

Hiltz
01-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Grave of the Fireflies
Cowboy Bebop the movie: Knocking on Heaven's Door
Akira
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Gundam Wing mobile suit: Endless Waltz
Samurai X

are some pretty good movies.

luigi_mario
01-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Inuyasha pwns above all! I program someone else's television to record it just in case I miss it XD

Snowfox
01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah I <3 Inuyasha too. But since I love it- that means there will probably be about 30 board members that will jump out and say it sucks now. :huh:

Hiltz
01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
It's about time that Adult swim finally got started to air new episodes of Inuyasha.
There seems to be a great amount of filler epsiodes which probably helps explain why there are so many episodes of the series. The thing that annoy me about the show is that the main characters are constantly being side tracked by going on side missions instead of sticking with their main priority of hunting down Naraku and retrieving the stolen jewel shards but I guess it is to be expected.

Hiltz
01-26-2005, 01:48 PM
It's about time that Adult swim finally started to air new episodes of Inuyasha. There seems to be a great amount of filler epsiodes which probably helps explain why there are so many episodes of the series.

The one thing that annoys me about the show is that the main characters are constantly being side tracked by going on side missions instead of sticking with their main priority of hunting down Naraku and retrieving the stolen jewel shards but I guess it is to be expected.

On the bright side it's good to see new episodes!

Naota
01-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Inuyasha's not bad or anything, and I'm glad I get to see new episodes, but I'm not a big fan of fairy-tale-ish animes. I do like the theme songs though.

Vava2109
01-26-2005, 08:03 PM
hey my friend has a Inuyasha RPG site if your interested private message me to know. . . you will be required to be loyal as you are here lol just message me to know . . . Vava over andout(INUYASHA RULES!((my series will be better . . . )))

Robosockmonkey
01-28-2005, 01:38 AM
They are going t oshow Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent on Adult Swim sometime in the near future (I saw that on Adult Swim tonight).

I love the Samurai Champloo series, and although I've only seen the first episode of Paranoia Agent, it is very interesting also.

Just thought i'de let you know, and if you already did I just reminded you.

Hiltz
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Really?! I've only seen the first few episodes of Samurai Champloo and the style is really great and the music is something fresh.

Ghost in the Shell:STA second Gig will be airing in fall 2005 too.

Robosockmonkey
01-29-2005, 02:00 AM
I didn't know about GITS: SAC 2nd Gig, that's a cool show too (the show in general, I haven't seen the second season).

Hiltz
01-29-2005, 09:47 AM
The episodes get so much better from where they are right now. :dance:

Robosockmonkey
01-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Do they solve the whole laughing man thing?

Gillermo
01-30-2005, 04:55 PM
The laughing man thing is pissing me off! I've watched most of the episodes aired on adult swim about the laughing man case, and it confuses the hell out of me. Can anyone elaborate on what exactly is going on?

Robosockmonkey
01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
I like his icon, but I'm probably as lost as you.

Bomu
02-06-2005, 04:17 PM
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (Everything I'd ever want in an anime/ manga series)
Fist of the North Star (Animation very dodgy, but love the concept- Mad Max+kung fu!)
Ninja Scroll (Can't get better Ninja Action than this)
Guyver (Animation a bit dodgy, but I like the idea)
Angel Cop (Great cyber punk mini series)

- I see a strong shonen theme running through my picks!

Also love Miyazaki Stuff- Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away etc.

Vegito1471
02-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Dragonball,Dragonball Z ,Dragonball GT,Yu Yu Hakusho,Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin,Trigun,Peacemaker,getbackers,Evangelion,sa iyuki,Fullmetal Alchemist,All gundams,cowboy bebop,Inuyasha,Outlaw Star and Naruto

K_x_uksami
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Trigun 3 Just an awesome series. The story is awesome, the message is something we could certainy benefit from, and I love the music. There is just something so emotional about People Everyday. It reminds me of the existentialist concept of the universe being absurd and causing anxiety.

Neon Genesis Evangelion — I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but what I have seen is just cool. I can't wait to figure out how the whole Adam thing works or why only a few specific people can pilot the Evas.

Robosockmonkey
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I've been watching Bleach sence before I started this thread, but didn't put it because it waasn't yet a favorite. Now the show is starting to get really good, so It is now one of my favorites.

McGarnacle
03-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Zoids:chaotic century (a bit kiddy but not a bad storyline)

Cruiser18
03-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Well I can't remember the details about the Laughing man case, but I do remember that they solve the mystery of it in the end.

Steasaurus
03-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Trigun 3 Just an awesome series.
Trigun 3? there's only one series ain't there?

K_x_uksami
03-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Trigun 3? there's only one series ain't there?

I meant to type — using the number pad but hit 3 instead.

Siike92
03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
YuYu Hakasho! the first episodes were the best though.

Hiltz
03-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Ghost in the Shell : STA

What is a "ghost" ?

Another name for a human's soul. However, it comes into question whether an individual loses part of their soul or all of it if they become fully cyberized because when you have parts of your body cyberized then you lose part of your humanity and becoming more "machine-like" in one sense. Another way to think of it is that from humans,animals, and to computers everything has a soul ... a "ghost". The thing is there's alot of contradiction about machines having souls like those Tachikoma's for instance.

What is ghost hacking?

The process of hacking another's cyberbrain. From there the hacker is capable to have ability to manipulate the host's body.

The Laughing Man used ghost hacking to manipulate all the cyborg people in the episode where Section 9 had to protect the Police Super Intendent from.

In another episode, we get to see the supposed Laughing Man, a kid who has cyberbrain syndrome I think and he's the one who carries a baseball and a baseball mit. There is symbolism here from the book "Catcher in the Rye" where the main character says that he wants to protect innocence by being a catcher in the rye and there's talk about a baseball mit and stuff.

In another later episode, the Laughing Man ghost hacks Major Kusanagi's cyborg body when she is in a vunerable position and this is where Kusanagi gets to have a conversation with the Laughin Man in his online realm on the net.

I'll have some information about the Laughin man tomorrowsince I'm too sleepy to type right now. :)

I'll post the picture of the supposed Laughing Man.

- Commited crimes 6 years ago and dissapppeared and now he is back
- The Laughing man is a super A - class hacker & cyber terrorist
- The real appearence of The Laughing man is really unknown and some say that The Laughing man doesn't even exist.
- The strange logo of The Laughing man is his trademark signature.

The logo is an image of a happy face wearing a baseball cap and has a quote from the book "Catcher in the rye" that rotates around the logo.

Vash-Lexus
03-13-2005, 03:17 AM
well, les see........:

trigun
gundam seed destiny
akira
guyver

thas the essentials for me

Cativo
03-13-2005, 05:12 PM
What do you guys think of Love Hina, I saw the first 2 episodes and I really like it...I think I'll by the rest of the series...

Aires
03-13-2005, 07:39 PM
how was the voice acting in Love Hina, Cavito?

Cativo
03-13-2005, 07:45 PM
I like the Japanesse version better, except for the Big O and Bebop, but it's ok...unlike dbz...

j0n
03-14-2005, 01:11 AM
love hina rules!!

Charlie
03-27-2005, 07:19 AM
1. Evangelion
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Ghost In The Shell -- Movie
4. Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (anime of course)
5. Iria Zeiram The Animation
----
and thats MY top 5 ;)
----
but i mean,this list really means nothing to me, theres just way too much good anime for me to have a real top 5 list... sigh...
----
I mean, it would be easier for me to make a list of anime's I -don't- like. Uh... I can't really think of many though. Most likely just that stuff they put on kiddie channels, like, uh, yugioh, all those poke-shows, (*not including monster rancher... MONSTER RANCHER RULED*), I mean, I guess they weren't really bad anime, just kind of outside the age curve. Heh... But, if I had to lable a bad anime... OH, the attempt at a Ninja Scroll sequel. What was that crap, Ninja Resurrection? I think. That was a complete embarrassment to the movie. I bought it on dvd, watched the first 30 minutes of it, and threw it IN the trash. 30 bucks completely wasted. (they wouldn't take it back, I called and asked *sniff*) -- I mean, other than that, all anime rules!
----
also, I'm not totally for sure it was meant to be a sequel... But the title sure suggests it.

japanman
10-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Flcl,inuyasha,one-piece, Gash(zatch)bell,s-cry-ed,big O,cowboy Bebop,wrath Ninja,and Ghost In The Shell Sac.

chimp
11-27-2005, 10:41 AM
DIGIMON!

naahhhh im just kidding that show sucked in order my fav are
1.Naruto
2.Zatch Bell
3.Inuyasha One more thing what channel is Adult Swim?!?

Darkmatter
11-27-2005, 03:31 PM
guyver..
ninja scroll

S.J.Nero
11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Favorite anime of all has got to be Cowboy Bebop. It's perfect because I was always looking for an anime with guns, blood, and cool characters.

JNX
12-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Gungrave... always has ben always will be...

Wonka
12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
1 NG Evangelion
2 Wolfs Rain
3 FMA