PDA

View Full Version : 100% flash website tutorial

mandelak
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
i have looked everywhere for tutorials on how to do this, but i couldn't find any. so i had to learn how to do it by dissecting someone's website.

this is a tutorial I created just in case anyone else wanted to know how to do it.

sample of what i mean http://www.mandelak.com/borahomes - this is a website I'm currently working for a building company.

here is the link to the tut. it is a PDF

Tutorial link (click me (http://www.mandelak.com/tutorials/100%25%20Flash%20Tutorial%20-%20by%20Mandela%20Komba.pdf))

it is my first ever tut so diss me to hard lol.

Panda
11-04-2008, 06:52 AM
The site looks pretty professional and it doesn't disturb the eye.

The tutorial is clear, it's a good thing you used images that makes it easier for learners, however it's too bad the site is a bit "fast". The transitions aren't great when I saw the website it reminded me the style the guys at templatemonster.com use. It's a great and professional style, just hope you will put some cool transitions in when you view another page.

Looking good!

космонавт
11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Wow, very professional looking. I suggest you slow down the speed of the banner, though. It's a little distracting.

I personally dislike flash over HTML because when the site gets too far into its subdirectories, it's nice to be able to use the 'back' button. But yours seems simple enough so that shouldn't be a problem.

mandelak
11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks for the crits. will look into the speed issues.

yeah i don't really like using flash a lot too. i usually do stuff using HTML and CSS, but i thought i'd try this out just so i can have it in my portfolio.

afroXcore
11-06-2008, 10:12 AM
can't you export a flash website into xhtml, and then put that in dreamweaver to edit?

i was almost sure you could do that.

actually, i want to know who did you do a roll off animation?

mandelak
11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
yeah i guess you could do it that way, but i didn't really think about that when doing it lol.

yeah and then you would edit the flash file in dreamweaver. either way it would give the same results.

the roll off is like that because it is a 100% flash page. if it wasn't like that then it would roll off where ever the flash movie ends.

i hope that made sense. my bad if it doesn't

Darkferret
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM
im new to the web site building subject, im looking for pointers, i guess. I'm using a few websites for tutorials, but if you were to go back and start the learning process over, what would recommend doing?

i mean should i just start learning html or learn to use a program like iWeb or something that does the work for me? my goal is to have a somewhat professional looking page to host my art portfolio.

(I just didnt want to start a new thread for a short question)

mandelak
12-14-2008, 01:34 AM
imo learn html and css first before anything else. css is tricky at first, but it won't take long to understand it. if you have any friends that know css get them to teach you. once you know the basics of css it is really really easy to catch up and get better.

i had a friend teach me css. i knew html, but html only doesnt always give the result you want, css will.

well if you learn css you will learn html in the proccess. if i find some good tutorials on css ill link you. the only one i know of off the top of my head is on a site called

gary simons

http://www.garysimon.net/webdesign_tutorial/1

to be honest i only did part of this tutorial, but it was pretty helpful. if i find any more ill post them

Gods Protector
12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Madelak, do you realize at the first pop up loading screen it says Mazimise?

Edit: Wait, my bad? The website is in another language...

Jigo
12-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow, Mandelak that looks awesome. The only thing that stood out to me was the speed like others mentioned, but otherwise it's a great representation. When the time comes for me to actually get a homepage maybe I could get you to build it for me. I mean I'm poor, but I would be able to offer you some kind of monetary compensation.

Darkferret
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks man, im following that and using Nvu or KompoZer to learn and this tut. http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/startwebsite.shtml.

I like your link, I didnt think of designing photoshop like that, ive never seen that before. Pretty cool.

I skimmed over your tut, I dont know flash though so I think ill save that for once i figure out the basics. Thanks a lot, yea ill keep an eye out for more links

mandelak
12-15-2008, 02:43 AM
thanks everyone..

unfortunately i haven't worked on it since i posted it here. i have been mad busy.

i see what everyone means by the fast transitions and what not. that will definitely get corrected when i do work on it again.

@ jigo yeah of course ill do it. as longs as its at a time where im not to busy, since I'm starting Uni next year and all apparently we will have our work cut out for us. ill gladly do it. I'm still a beginner so I still got a lot to learn too. there are some flaws in my coding (html and css) that i have to work on first though

@ Darkferret yeah ever since that tutorial i always design in photoshop first before doing anything. I'm still a noob to all of this stuff. there is still a shit load of things i have to learn, but I'm slowly getting the hang of everything.

Madelak, do you realize at the first pop up loading screen it says Mazimise?

Lmao nuh your right its a spelling mistake. the website isn't in another language its using lorem ipsum, its just dummy text. thanks for that.

once again cheers to everyone that commented