PDA

View Full Version : *OLD* General Discussion

dfacto
04-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Seeing as both cgtalk.com and conceptart.org have a daily forum sketch topic (and probably other forums as well) I was thinking that we could start some type of regular activity here on PK as well.

It would give people a chance to practice on set topics, plus have fun, Sort of like a focused speedpaint thread. Aside from that, it's a good motivation to draw.

I was thinking that a weekly activity would be best for PK, as there aren't as many of us as at the major forums, and posting probably wouldn't be enough in a day to fill a topic thread with more than 3 posts. A week gives people enough time to do a good job, plus it allows for time to finish it in case someone who wants to participate is too busy on a certain day.

Topics would be drawn from a list of member submitted ideas, and posted up every monday, either by a mod, or by an appointed member.

If we want, it could also be done more like the Creature of the Week, at CA.org, where a vote is conducted at the end for the forum goers to choose their favorite design, and elect a winner. Winner can get a special recognition thingy added under their avatar.

Anyone else think this would be fun?

SilverFox
04-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I've been thinking about this too. Eatpoo has a weekly format that I really like, actually. I support any iteration of this idea.

unstable monki
04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
sounds cool

Protius404
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
It would nice to have around when you lack any ideas of your own. It could sure help get people out of a slump too. The only other idea thread we had was in the exercise yard. The Anime 100 I think it was. Sadly it didn't last long. So I totally support this idea. It would be great to have around.

Zabur
04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Yup, I really hope this happens. It would be a great way to practice when ur in a slump.

the shining
04-23-2005, 03:06 PM
this would have been better for me 2 days ago. I had a mental block sooo bad I couldn't even do a good stick figure. but Yeah I think this would be cool and it would give us some practice with stuff we're not used to.

Jeanox
04-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I've actually been skulking over at CA.org and have thought about this a lot. I'd participate for sure if we set some daily/weekly thing up.

Evil Iori
04-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Sounds good.

FigureFour
04-23-2005, 04:39 PM
You know the best way to impliment this? It would be to create a topic in the Art Activities section with the first weeks idea.
Then next week, you can put up another one.

It's not like you need the mods to make it official, start drawing allready.

dfacto
04-23-2005, 04:49 PM
1) You need to bring attention to it. It isn't as if the Art Activities section is the most visited one on PK. If I start a thread there, it will get little attention. Or maybe not, but why bother taking a chance?

2) You need to see if people are even interested in an idea before you try it. Seems like everyone is on board, AND now they know that it could happen, so it is more likely that a thread like that would be popular.

3) Who knows, the mods may be nice and grant it an individual section, or somethin' somethin'. Doubtful, but shit happens.

4) New and interesting ideas tend to come up when people get together and discuss a topic. Why waste that.

FigureFour
04-23-2005, 04:55 PM
1) It's got attention now.

2) Everyone is interested

3) If so, they will move the thread into the section.

4) Because if we keep discussing we'll never actually do it. If the first one sucks, there will be a second that we can discuss more.

The best way to get it going is to start while people are interested.
Why not just say you'll put up a new idea every Saturday. If people want to suggest ideas, they can suggest the next one.

Shou
04-23-2005, 05:03 PM
you can try it in the activity forum at any time, if it becomes popular we could make a new forum for it

FigureFour
04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
In that case I nominate "Ninjas?" as our first topic.

If that's too simple, something with ninjas in it.

noah of the howards
04-23-2005, 05:41 PM
It's a great idea to me. My biggest problem in graphics is creativity. It'd be good.

Zabur
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Who will be incharge of changing the topic every week?

Also, will it be a weekly ordeal, or a daily one, or maybie both?

Snowfox
04-23-2005, 06:21 PM
How about a list of people that want to be involved, and each week the next person down gets to pick?

DN
04-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I saw you're post over at CA.org where you suggested some topics a few days ago, dfacto. I thought a lot of those were good. If you want to start it off, go ahead. I've considered jumping in on the dailies over there at some point, so doing weeklies might work out better for my schedule.

I'm with Shou. We have the exercise yard here for group activities, so feel free to test out your idea and see how it goes. Maybe try to contain it in one thread for now, and if enough people actually participate, we could look into making it a separate forum.

Zabur
04-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I believe that is permission or something..(like we needed it, hehe)

At lest this will give me a reason to visit another section of the forum besides ML and VG section, heh.

gmpilot
04-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I am soooo in. I've been wanting to have something like this for ages. The other thing I've been wanting to have I saw on some board, but I don't remember which one...it was where I post a character, then another person draws that character doing something, then posts another character, and the next person does the same.

Natezero
04-23-2005, 08:34 PM
sooo..when do we start?

gmpilot
04-23-2005, 08:37 PM
ready...set..GOAT! Ha! Tricked you!

king of bandits
04-23-2005, 08:38 PM
cool im game

Zabur
04-23-2005, 09:23 PM
sooo..when do we start?

When he makes the thread.

Lets call it DSG, like on CA.org.

SilverFox
04-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I think it should be weekly...

dfacto
04-24-2005, 01:52 AM
I'll make the first topic without a specified time range. We'll see how many people respond and how fast, and we can use that to guage how often we should have it. Either daily, bi weekly, or weekly.

dfacto
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Topic is now up in the Excercise Yard. Get drawin'.

Ther eis also a topic suggestion list, so feel free to post idea there too. Please read the first post for formatting information that would make everything easier when choosing a topic.

pofo
04-24-2005, 03:21 AM
:) I'll try to participate as often as I have time (and ideas). I don't think I'll be able to do it daily though.
I rather like the format of elysiun.com's Weekend Challenge (though that's just for Blender created stuff). Topic is posted on Friday, voting takes place on Monday and the winner picks next weeks topic. Don't know if it would work here, but it's an idea.

Shou
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
eh Im not too psyched about the name "pk sketch group" since it doesnt really explain anything about what youre supposed to do. It sounds more like some sketchbook sharing forum or something

dfacto
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Any suggestions?

Thnx for the separate forum section btw. :)

DN
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
What would you suggest, then? We're basically ripping off ConceptArt.org since they've been doing this for a while now, and that's what they call it. Since we're not doing it every day, we really can't say "Daily." :p

There might be a better term for it though, but I'm not sure either. Also, we can call it whatever we want, but I used "Sketch Group" on the main page link only because there's a limit on how many characters you can fit. That's why I also shortened the other two for now.

Shou
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
something simple and selfexplanitory like Weekly Art Theme or whatever. I dont think we need the pk part too

also if someone else is using the name then I dont think we should copy the name

DN
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
So I would put something like WAT on the front page since the full thing is too long and "Art Theme" just sounds weird. Maybe we should we call it something like "Extreme Art Jam" just to make it sound exciting? :p

Hmm, it's not weekly either, though, so is there even a word for doing something 2 times a week? We should probably skip mentioning the time frame for now since we may change it eventually.

As for copying the name, I really don't think it's that big a deal. We're definitely using a similar format, but it's not like they actually invented the idea of giving people a theme and having everyone work on it. I think it's one of those things that's perfectly fine to have at both boards.

[edit]"Themed Activities" maybe?

Jeanox
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
You could just call it the Drill Center or something. That would go along with your whole "Exercise Yard" thing.

DDC - Daily Drill Center
WDC - Weekly Drill Center

Or you could try Focussed Sketch Group/Activities

AZmayu
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
i like the name Extreme Art Jam it sounds interesting... DDC or DC and WDC sounds good to me...

DN
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
i like the name Extreme Art Jam it sounds interesting...

Hehe, I was kind of kidding. Everytime I hear "Extreme" I think of that one Simpson's episode with Poochy.

"Drill Center" might work though. Maybe "Sketch Drills" or "Art Drills." That's a pretty clear description of what's going on.

AZmayu
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
ADD: Art Daily Drills......:)

Jeanox
04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but it still isn't happening on a "Daily" Basis. If were going to do 2 a week, best keep some sort of reference to time out. Unless you want to use the word "intermittent."

Steasaurus
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
the word for twice a week is semiweekly... semiweekly scribbles? *shrug*
...or 半毎週走り書きする (?) :P

...I'm weird

noremac
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
2 a week is perfect
who cares what the name is not me
as long as theres something for me to draw
i dont care
its being discussed way to much i think
"actions speak louder than words"
"just do it"
"wrap it up"
"lets go!!"

all those other details will work themselves out as we go along

Jeanox
04-25-2005, 06:24 PM
callllm yourself :O We're already going, lol.

DN
04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, considering we already started, that's sort of what we're doing at the moment.

Though, I was debating whether we shouldn't start a new one today to get on the Monday/Friday schedule. Otherwise, we could just wait till around Friday morning? Quite a few of us already finished the first topic, so I suppose we could start the second one now if you guys want.

Dfacto, at the moment, I've kind of been assuming you could handle the topics until we come up with a regular system. What do you think?

[edit]Also, I changed the titles for now unless Shou thinks of a better one.

noremac
04-25-2005, 07:22 PM
...............oh, we did start
i posted in it..................

dfacto
04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
How about we just let it run until Thursday evening, around 8:00pm GMT. I'll post up the next topic then and that'll get us into the Monday-Thursday-Monday rythm. I'd say bi-weekly is looking very good right now, so that should work out well.

And I can handle the topics until we get a bot or something.

DN
04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Sounds fine. I suppose if people really want to work on more, they can always do a few entries for the same topic.

FigureFour
04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
This is pretty ****ing sweet.

jordan89182
04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.absentart.com/ktfot/emotes/clap.gifhooray dfacto and mods!

dfacto
04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Right, well, we have the timeframe established, and it'll probbaly work out pretty well, but we still need to work out the topic selection.

For #2 I just scrolled around the topic thread with my eyes closed and pointed at the screen, opened my eyes and used the topic I had my finger on. This seems a bit idiotic to tell the truth, and I was thinking that we could perhaps use a vote system to decide who gets to choose the next topic, instead of relying on random shenanigans.

We have it bi-weekly, which would mean that there isn't a lot of stress on me to post up the entries with a voting thread. Winner would get to choose the next topic (and PM it to me or whoever is responsible) and then it just goes on with the next thread. It would be staggered, so that you vote on the last topic while the current is running, and the winner gets to choose the next one. Then the current topic entries are voted on to determine the topic after the current one. If that makes sense...

Also, you'd have to choose a topic that you didn't suggest yourself if you win.

Ideas, suggestions, criticisms?

Dusty
04-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Sounds good. Just remember to delete the topic suggestion from the list when its been done.

dfacto
04-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Hmm, it occurred to me that this will be a big pain in the butt to actually do, but I'll give it a try rather than eat my foot so soon.

AZmayu
04-29-2005, 04:27 PM
your doing a great job dfacto.....:thumbsup:

so if we post more than one art, during the voting how is that going to work?

DN
04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Um, I'm not really sure I like the idea of having a voting thread everytime we have a topic thread. It just gets too messy. I was thinking we needed to randomize the topic selection for now. I'm hoping you just have to do it temporarily until we figure out a way to automate things. I'll go ahead and start looking into it.

I'm actually thinking of just emailing conceptart and asking them directly if they'll let us borrow their bot code. I'd be willing to mess with it and even give them any improvements I make if they're willing. I don't know if they'll be a little uptight about it though since we're sort of using their idea here. I don't think it really overlaps though since our boards cater to slightly different audiences, but you never know.

Steasaurus
05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't think they'd mind since we have acknowledged the fact that they did it before us, and I'm pretty sure everyone that feels confident enough to post there that comes here already posts there. It's not like we're in competition with them. But I guess all you can do is ask.

DN
05-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I already did on Friday night, and the guy I talked to forwarded it to one of the admins since he wasn't sure about the code. I'm just waiting on somebody to get back to me.

If all else fails, I could probably write one myself, but it doesn't make sense to waste the time if they'll let us use their's.

dfacto
05-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Pontemonti is the one who set it up I think, though I may be wrong.

pofo
05-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Um, I'm not really sure I like the idea of having a voting thread everytime we have a topic thread. It just gets too messy.
I must say I rather like the idea of voting. The mile wide competitive streak in me is what pushes me to do better :D

AZmayu
05-02-2005, 11:22 AM
bring it on pofo....:D

FigureFour
05-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Dfacto, if you are anoyed by trying to tally up all the votes, you should make the voting thread a poll.

Also, it's probably not nessicary to repost all the images.

AZmayu
05-02-2005, 03:08 PM
yeah, that'll probably alot easier....

anyways, i have question about a topic (Close Ended). will someone explane me more about this one...thanks

EDIT: (Open Ended)

dfacto
05-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Dfacto, if you are anoyed by trying to tally up all the votes, you should make the voting thread a poll.

I am, but the poll can only have 10 votes max at the moment. I have to ask the mods to increase that to 30 or so just to be on the safe side.

AZmayu: huh?

cyprox
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
It says open ended. Open ended means you can draw anything as long as it's related to the topic.

AZmayu
05-02-2005, 03:29 PM
mmmhh, im kinda slow on this. why do they call it Open-Ended

dfacto
05-02-2005, 03:40 PM
It isn't restricted to a vehicle/character/creature/scene/etc. You can do whatever you want as long as the topic is followed. If there is something like "character" in front, you have to stick to it at least in a general sense. Open ended means that anything goes.

AZmayu
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
okies got it, thanksss....:)

DN
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I'll increase the poll size thingy. I'm pretty sure there's a setting in there somewhere.

[edit]Ok, I just set it to 60 for now. Probably way more than we need, but I don't see any reason why that's not ok. We can always just ban someone who's annoying and abuses it.

dfacto
05-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Thnx DN

DN
05-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I haven't heard anything back from ca.org regarding the auto posting scripts, so I will probably start on that this weekend when I have some time. I don't feel like harassing a bunch of them to find out what's going on since they may just not want to share.

If you actually know some of these people dfacto, feel free to check again, otherwise, I'll try to have something written asap for here.