PDA

View Full Version : Photoreference Collection

noah of the howards
04-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Just thinking, I have a lot of free webspace. If I used my free time to go around snappign pictures of stuff would anyone be interested in having them put together as a photoreference section. I will try and get photos on a variety of subjects such as cars at carshows, airshows to get aircraft details, landscape, buildings, people, etc. Dunno when i can start it but I wanted to know how you guys would like it.

Aires
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Would you like a poser to make stupud snapshots of himself for various references?

I would like to donate a few forest, vehicle, and perspective shots as well?
Would it help?

noah of the howards
04-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Probably would, Koruneko would probably pose for some, I might even do it just so we don't have a reference full of skinny folks. We were talking about taking the camera to the museums in VA and trying to get some good shots of the shipyards and the tunnels.

Any photos would help, I had thought of recruiting people but it wasn't like I could pay them. Any volunteer things would be great. I may actually do a section where I post events that I would like photos of and other people and you guys could see if they were near you and you could photograph it.

CrematoR
04-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me, it should help alotta ppl.

noah of the howards
04-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, out of three voters so far we are looking at a resounding yes. I will probably get a start on the layout for the site next week.
I will set up an e-mail for photo submissions so you guys can start sending anything you want up. I will try to think of as many categories as I can and gladly take suggestions in the mean time.

DN
04-23-2005, 10:31 PM
If you're just posting random references, then I'm not so sure it's that useful. It would be useful however if you're supplying something that you can't already get from google images or one of the many stock photo sites such as getty images. Perhaps user requests, or some other specific topic useful to artists.

I'm sure there's other niche topics that would make your site valuable and you could always try to combine a few, but I think it's probably better to try and do one or two things really well rather than focusing on too much general stuff. Basically, if I can find the same things on google images first, I probably won't bother checking out your site. I imagine it's the same for many people.

As a random thought, it might be interesting to have a site full of reference photos of different, cool looking machinery, the type of stuff you could use for drawing mechs or other machines.

koopdi
04-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I second the machinery thing.
I also like the idea of collaborating with people to get content up. The simple aspect that it's more of a community thing with the purpose of photo refs makes it good regardless of the usefullness of the actual refs.
Might be cool to see a bunch of sketch books fill up with photos you'd taken.
Sounds good.
Set it up.

Aires
04-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Well Dn, i think this might be good for the fact that these photos will be the property of the artists who submitted, so there would be little to no fear of copy right infrigement if people decide to use scenery for their art. Besides, I would rather have an organized site for action poses than to google it up every day to find what i'm looking for. :)

noah of the howards
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
You can submit photos to photorefsubmissions@howarddesigns.biz. I don't know when I will get a chance to sit down and work on it but the site will come up sometime soon.

DN
04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Well Dn, i think this might be good for the fact that these photos will be the property of the artists who submitted, so there would be little to no fear of copy right infrigement if people decide to use scenery for their art. Besides, I would rather have an organized site for action poses than to google it up every day to find what i'm looking for.

I never said it was a bad idea, I just said you need to focus on things that people can't get elsewhere. Having a community or offering images with usable copyrights is a good start.

FigureFour
04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
I think it could be increadibly usefull provided you take the time to categorise and index every last image so I could find what I wanted quickly and easily.

noah of the howards
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
*sigh* Databases and ASP.... rah.

That is my plan though.

unstable monki
04-25-2005, 04:39 PM
it would be very helpful, once it gets bigger.

Jeanox
04-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Noah, if you want help, I can try and lend some assistance. I have over 4,500 images that I have sorted on my comp.

noah of the howards
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Holy crap Wigs, yeah that'd help. I guess I need to set up the databases then...

Did your BBS work?

Jeanox
04-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah, its up, but i haven't linked to it or anything yet. Still configuring stuff...and getting rid of those aweful smilies. :|

Aires
04-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Yeah Dn I was just picking on ya that day:) Peace?

Geez Wigs Im afraid to ask but why the massive amount of pics?

Jeanox
04-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Errrm....when I see a reference I like, I grab on to it. Even if I never really directly reference most of them, I have my own personal library of stuff to just browse through. I guess I'm just one who likes to observe or something. :)

But those were just the photo references. I've got about 2,600 files of tutorials/concept art. :|

Aires
04-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah I hear ya the past week I was just scrounging through galleries of some art and just saving them so I can study comp and all that stuff

which reminds me
How do you encrypt a drive so no one will accidently look at your references?

Jeanox
04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
que? O_o

Aires
04-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I have a buch of nude references on my hd, and I don't need my roomate or to get any ideas, so i was just asking how to hide those images

j0n
04-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Yeah I hear ya the past week I was just scrounging through galleries of some art and just saving them so I can study comp and all that stuff

which reminds me
How do you encrypt a drive so no one will accidently look at your references?

dunno how to encrypt a hd, but you could just put them into a winrar compressed folder with a password, then noone can see them, and they take up less space!