PDA

View Full Version : New to anime and looking for action.

TheOne
04-24-2005, 10:15 PM
I am new to anime and have been watching Full Metal and Naruto. I was wondering what are the names of some other good action oriented anime series? Maybe some that I would have to import even.

VTS_v2.0
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Samurai Champloo and Bleach

chain2treechick
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
r u planning on renting or buying or watching adult swim?
on AS: ghost in the shell is very action-y, so is trigun, and big o, and well, not really inuyasha.

TheOne
04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I plan on buying.

Bloodstar
04-25-2005, 02:18 PM
GITS is actually mixed. It has lots of action at times but other times can be a really boring talk fest where you're trying to figure out whats going on in the story. Its a great show so watch it, but its not always action packed.

Edit: 300th post!!! :dance:

mofo09
04-25-2005, 02:49 PM
well first thing u do is stop watching naruto and go get yourself some ninja scroll

chain2treechick
04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I plan on buying.

then you've got da world at your fingertips! hehe...
i love flcl but thats not really action at all...well...kinda...no....

i really don't think anyone can go wrong with cowboy bebop **drool**

Steasaurus
04-25-2005, 04:24 PM
...and don't forget that Trigun that chain2treechick mentioned (up in post #3) VTS_v2.0 has got it as their avatar. It just oozes awesomeness doesn't it?

chain2treechick
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
yay! comes on tonight!
(glances at avatar title thingy)
hehehe....

Steasaurus
04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
heh heh I have all of the dvd's :P
plus other things... such as action figures and a replica of wolfwood gun (not that big one just a pistol)

chain2treechick
04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
i really hate you...:squint:

but don't take it personally!:D

wolfwood i'm coming!!!! wait for me!

Anikraze
04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
get the show "la blue girl" its action packed. but thats for adults so if you want just action, get "samuri x"

TheOne
04-26-2005, 10:07 AM
I saw a few Trigun episodes and I must say that is one funny series. Hey, can I find any of these on P2P networks? Also, I bought the Ninja Scroll movie last night. Very very cool. The guy at the store told me thta there was a series too that I should check out. He also told me about one of his favorites called Berserk.

Thanks for the help.

AnimeLuver
04-26-2005, 11:47 PM
u can try bleach, tsukuyomi moonphase, yakitate japan,kiddygrade
they r not bad =P

Hiltz
04-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Some others...

Series

Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing
Last Exile
Beserk
Blue Gender
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gasaraki
Dragon Ball (the first dragon ball)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
FLCL (Also known as Fooly Cooly)
Cromartie High School
Scryed
Serial Experiments Lain
Gungrave
Ronin Warriors
Zoids: Chaotic Century & Guardian Force
Zoids: Classic Century
Kikaider
Gundam 8th MS Team
Escaflowne
Gundam Seed

Movies

Cowboy Bebop:The Movie
Akira
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Jin-roh: Wolf Brigade
Grave of the Fireflires
Ghost in the Shell
Escaflowne: The Movie
Princess Monoke
The Animatrix
Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust
Blue Gender: The Warrior
Kikaider: The Animation
Blue Submarine # 6
Dead Leaves

Snowfox
04-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Scryed is all you ever need.

TheSorrow
04-27-2005, 12:59 AM
trigun,hellsing,akira,neon genesis evangelion,inuyasha. are **cking :thumbsup:.

VTS_v2.0
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Ha...Ronin Warriors...timeless classic

Tanalius
04-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Hunter X Hunter

Cruiser18
04-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd suggest Scryed, Gundam Seed, Read Or Die OVA and Ninja Scrool.

That should keep you running for a while.

Krieock
04-29-2005, 02:46 PM
The BEST anime ever created would have to Cowboy Bebop (And before you do... InuYasha or Scryed fanboys... Don't you dare compare those to the Bebop - it's a genre in itself)
One, you should defiently pick those up series and movie
Read or Die OVA is exceptionally unique and one of the most beautiful anime styles I've ever seen.
Hellsing is dark (horror genre/vampires) but highly enjoyable - not the greatest animation value, but better than Evangelion (which is also Very enjoyable for sci-fi mecha fans)
Trigun (my bro's favourite) is very good/unique, but once again, not the greatest-looking... but very good story(90% action/10% sci-fi) arranged flawlessly.
Outlaw Star is a very good space/sci-fi anime, very colourful, unique anime style. The story seemed a bit lacking in depth (though they tried very hard) but it's defiently worth the 30-some dollars you can pay for the ENTIRE series (read bottom for instructions ^^ - if you don't already know where to get it anime that cheap)
Escaflowne is a pretty old school anime, they used to show it on The WB (if anyone remembers that) it's one of my friends favourites... but I think it's a little childish.
I'm buying the R.O.D. TV series right now (don't be hatin' - I love the story and the anime style)

I wont relist all the ones that Hiltz already has... but here is one you SHOULD AVOID:
Yu Yu Hakusho - GOD THIS ANIME SUCKS ASS!!! The anime style makes me want to VOMIT... seriously... don't you dare buy this tripe.
Serial Experiments is a little weak in story... but interesting (not enough to buy tho... I did... I'm justa tard) - everything else Hiltz listed is very good, especially Wolf's Rain

You can't get R.O.D. TV very cheap yet... b/c not all the english translated episodes are out on dvd... so you have to about $20 dollars for each dvd (non import)

To get cheap anime (mostly imports... but what the hell) goto Amazon.com and find the anime want, the click on Used and New, look under the New category and you'll prolly find a really good deal for like up to 78% less that the MSRP.

That's just my 2 cents. Cheers.

Hiltz
04-29-2005, 03:32 PM
As much as I love Cowboy Bebop I think it's a bit overrated. However, this is a must see anime series.

Inuyasha is repetitive to say the least. Kill demon,save village and move on to find Naraka. How long have they been trying to find him already?! The character cast is the only thing that makes Inuyasha interesting to watch.

Scryed seems like one of the most stereotypical of anime teenagers using destructive super powers to defeat their enemies for personal reasons. Even the twists in the storyline don't help make it original. The super powers are flashy and nice to watch but that's really about all I got out of watching Scryed.

I've seen a couple episodes of Read or Die, and I'd personally would rather "Die". It's too silly with the whole paper fighting concept to take seriously in my opinion. It's definetly unique and original and has good animation.

Waiting to see what Alucard does next is the only reason that makes Hellsing such an awesome series.

Serial Experiments Lain is wierd.

Trigun, I agree with. Vash was like one of the most noticable and original characters since being introduced to Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

I do agree with you about Outlaw Star and Yu Yu Hakusho. Yu Yu Hakusho starts off interestingly enough but it gets really ridiculous with the later sagas.

Frank
04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Since everyone else seems to have listed a lot of things I would have recommended I just wanna say keep an open mind. I notice a lot of people who see a series or two and don't like them and then they just think anime sucks all together. There are many different genres to choose from. You're bound to like something :)

Hiltz
04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah, that's a really good point you made there.

There's so many different genres and chances are you'll find more than one type that will gain your interest and that is one of the best things about anime.

Cruiser18
04-30-2005, 04:23 AM
I don't wanna start a big argument, but I recent being called a Fanboy by Krieock because I like Scryed. I could say the very same thing about Cowboy bebop. I've seen it once, and I don't think I wanna see it again since it's not really memorable since the story is almost non-existant. Overrated is an understatement.
Admitted, it is a good series, but not on the level it has been lifted to.

I found scryed to be good since it had some originality to it's story, the action has a much above average level of animation and the ferocity of the chars powers seems to make their emotions and their convictions become so much more alive.

And Hiltz, I agree that the ROD TV series is not so great. It's more based on the drama of the three sisters than the action. The ROD OVA is much better than that.
But I don't get that you find it silly with people using paper as weapons compared to a psychotic vampire in a red Trenchcoat using huge guns. At least the paper weapons come with some originality.

Snowfox
04-30-2005, 04:44 AM
Yeah, being called a fanboy because one likes Scryed is a bit insulting. It's a damn good anime that has some of the best action / fighting in any anime, ever. As well as an engaging storyline that does a good job (in my opinion) of getting the viewer to have empathy for multipule characters instead of just the main protagonist.

Krieock
04-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Good point about the weaponry Cruiser :) - Paper has always been an aspect of Japanese culture (i.e. Origami) I thought having chars that can emulate paper was a phenominal idea.
And... Cruiser/Snowfow... :) I didn't say your guys were fanboys just because you watch Scryed - I only call people fanboys when they watch a very small amount of something and shun all other (which I don't think either of you do)
And as for Cowboy Bebops storyline... Well, the series isn't just about Spike, there are also many episodes devoted to Ed's life on Earth/finding his father, etc. And Jet's younger years working for the ISSP/losing his arm in a setup by one of his partners. And Faye being cryogenically* frozen after she was in an accident in the early 21st century, to be revived in 2074. And then theres storylines about Viscious and his past relating to the war on Titan.... yada yada, and that's all not including the awesome storyline about Spike and how the Red Dragon is after him and he has to go kick some ass and take some names :)
Cruiser, you must have seen 'Toys in the Attic' or 'Peiro Le Fou', or 'Brain Scratch' those are fun episodes, but zero storyline :)
Ya'll aint fanboys :)

As for people dissing RODTV, well, I think you should just give it a chance - I found it very inticing (though it's not so full of action like Hellsing or GITS) and I enjoyed watch the characters develop as the anime pretty much followed their everyday lives as paper masters working for/then fighting against Dokusensha :)
But if you don't like an anime, that's your business - like mentioned by Frank above (cheers dude) there are plenty of genres and anime just for you :)

Azmodeus
04-30-2005, 09:57 AM
. . . episodes devoted to Ed's life on Earth/finding his father, etc . . .

uhhh . . I'd hate to be the one to ruin this for you, buuuuut Ed's a female . . . if you haven't noticed. Sry man, it just has to be this way.

To the owner of this thread, someone said to stop watching Naruto and watch Ninja Scroll. Well, Ninja scroll IS (and always will be) my favorite anime movie but it doesnt compenstate for the thought out genious of Naruto. Keep watching it :P (P.S. the ninja scroll series . . . eehhh no, just NO.)

I've noticed that there are some friggin badass anime's left out.

Berserk, EPIC/FANTASY . . . possibly horror. only 26 episodes, but it felt like 3 seasons of badass. Gatso the hundred man killer rocks. Evangelion, some may say its bad, some may say its good. I say holy hell its glorious. Now I can't normally get into chick anime like Slayers, but if you want to laugh at some idiots, Azumanga Dioh. I saw it at this Draft House that has an anime night, where it's pure rouhlette about what anime you see that night. You want something halairous . . . you must watch FLCL or Golden Boy.

So study study study your anime, GOOD LUCK

Krieock
04-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Lmao, I know Ed aint no guy, that was a typo. I'm a die hard Bebop fan - but I'm also only human.
-.-

chain2treechick
04-30-2005, 11:11 AM
. . . episodes devoted to Ed's life on Earth/finding his father, etc . . .

THANKYOU AZMODEUS! jeez, i was starting to spaz out.

and i really agree with Frank. there are so many anime haters out there who, when prompted with the word "anime", simply revert to pokemon, and say it sucks. and, at least around me...and my entire school...this is the prevailing attitude. it's stupid, i know. its just plain ignorant....though typically american.

how do you begin to try to convince someone of what anime is like outside of pokemon and yu-gi-o? its a lost battle from the starting gate.

sigh...

Hiltz
04-30-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm coincidentally watching FLCL right now. :)

I only find ROD silly because they use PAPER as a weapon. I agree it is original but I can't take it seriously. To me it just sounds kind of stupid yet an original concept nonetheless. Honestly, I don't prefer to watch super heroine-like females that manipulate paper as a weapon, just not my kind of show. Whereas in Hellsing, Alucard is a psychotic vampire with unique vampirish powers and two special guns as knowing that guns are recognized as a weapon of choice. Are his guns an orignal concept? No, but Alucard's vampirish powers are which I find that to be cool but everyone has their own opinions.

Anime in America is haunted by it's horrible franchise series like Pokemon and Yugioh. Some people are afraid that all anime is like that but those are just a cheap attempt to hit two birds with one stone. By having tons of kids watch and adore these specific shows and then at the same time produce endless amounts of cheap merchandise and video games that bear the gameplay of the storyplot and title of the series, milking it for all it's worth. The end result is that many people feel that anime is for kids and it doesn't expand to an older audience which they are mistaken to realize.

RobotCat
04-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I thought paper abilities were really really cool...

Especially when they carry the paper in ammo clips lol!

ROD TV is definately awesome, although there's a lot of drama and intrigue, there's still tons of action. The really great part is that the animation in ROD TV is one of the best I've seen. The action scenes are really well drawn and totally worth it, its almost movie quality (actually its probaby better than movie quality considering some of the low budget anime movies Japan seems to show all the time.)

Krieock
04-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Paper abilities are really cool... I mean, i just gave my self a horrible papercut(Linkin Park, bitches) yesterday; it's not a WMD, but it can still cut... and as for Maggie's abilties to create animals with the paper, that's just origami - I do it all tha time.

Xion, RODTV is an exceptional anime, in style, music, story and lots of good action (not all involving paper -.- the baddies have guns and whatnot), and the animation is simply flawless.

Pokemon and YuGayHo are horrible - I don't even like calling em animes... nasty....

Aires
04-30-2005, 03:18 PM
ROD Is like an Oreo, (just follow me)

They go in a 4 part formula.
1st episode is action, 2 episodes, regular life moments?, then end in a action episode.
It basically follows this formula and repeats as needed. I like it because it has variety, the music is good, and I really enjoy the characters and nuances.
Oh yeah episode 13 or 14 kicked ass when they had to rescue nenenei from dokusencha:)

Just keep an open mind about it.

Serial experiment Lain is the thinking mans show. Enough said, I really enjoyed it.

NOW:
My entry to this thread, though not action???

Boogiepop Phantom. Its just insane, it just gives barely anyclues and just leaves the veiwer guessing whats going on:)

Snowfox
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
I also second whoever brought up Berserk. I <3 that one.