PDA

View Full Version : Played out superpowers, storylines, and lack of creativity

mercenary
05-03-2005, 09:50 AM
I think a lot of us realized there are some things in anime, manga, video games and/or western that have played to the point that strike zero interest.
So, I ask you, what superpowers and/or storylines, you once thought were amazing, but are now the worst thing you possible thing you could see or read?

Hiltz
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Amazing but now are worse: Flying and the casual fire/energy ball.

Worst: The infamous "dbz" spin off of powering -up

Battousai
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Amazing but now are worse: Flying and the casual fire/energy ball.

Worst: The infamous "dbz" spin off of powering -up

man i agree. i personelly like telekinesis or supernatrual as in a ghostly sense. i definitely hate the dbz spinoffs.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Invisiblility is one power that has used beyond some of us can bear. For some reason there hasn't been a power that just makes invisibility obsolete, that I know of.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 01:38 PM
That's because being able to turn invisible is the coolest thing ever.
Why do you think everyone loves ninjas?

mercenary
05-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Ninjas make invisiblility less annoying and more interesting to watch, because of their skill and tact. They just don't turn invisible for no reason, they use it to kill the enemy or gain an advantage.
There are some that use invisiblility and expose themselves(accidently) or just use it ineffectively, which makes it boring to watch.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Technicly you can't watch someone using invisibility. That's the point.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 01:58 PM
My mistake, but watching the opposing side fight(the one not using invisibility), it makes invisiblility more interesting. Because opposing side has to think more carefully about their strategy and act quickly.

Hiltz
05-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Gayest power: "Wonder Twin powers activate!"

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Wait. Didn't you say that invisibility makes a fight boring? Now you're saying it makes things more interesting?

Anyway. The thing that I think is most overused in anime AND manga AND video games is the tenage boy who has to save the world. I'm ****ing sick of it.
That goes DOUBLE if it's another normal kid who one day discovers that he's got special powers or something and is the only one who can fight the ninjas/aliens/monsters/gerbils/whatever.

Hiltz
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
The thing that I think is most overused in anime AND manga AND video games is the tenage boy who has to save the world. I'm ****ing sick of it.
That goes DOUBLE if it's another normal kid who one day discovers that he's got special powers or something and is the only one who can fight the ninjas/aliens/monsters/gerbils/whatever.

Hell yeah! :laugh: Those types are so freaking unoriginal nowadays.

Bleach
Rave Master
DN Angel
Yu Yu Hakusho
etc...

Rave Master is probably the best stereotype.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
See now saying I'm hypocrite. I'll explain myself again. Poor use of invisiblility makes a fight boring, when used skillfully, the fight is intensified or more suspense is added. No lie, invisiblility is a cool power, but it can turn out to be less interesting when invisiblility isn't the best alternative or just used to drag out the fight. An example is when you have to guys fighting, but they're standing in knee high water, invisiblility would be least effective because the splashes from when he walks/runs would give him away.Is that better, does that clear the air.

the shining
05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
well for one the entire DBGT series The last part of the DBZ series and The whole Yu-Gi-Oh thing. I hated how the DBZ seasons were so repetative. I actually thought the Yu-Gi-Oh thing was pretty cool until they started to base the fate of the world on a ****in' card Game.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I wasn't calling you a hypocrite, I just wasn't sure what stance you were taking.

Anyway, even if the water would give away your position, it would still be a huge advantage. You would be harder to track, and it would be practicly impossible to defend against anything you did.

Besides, ANY power would suck when used badly.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
A teenage boy that has to save the world is old. I hate the ones where someone has to regain their memory/mind and they send the whole season or saga on someone trying to get their memory back.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I apologize, for the false accusation. People always seem to misunderstand me, for some reason.
It must be said though that invisiblility is a powerful ability, it just annoys me to see a good power go to waste, that's why I find it less thrilling.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Fair enough.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Super strength, speed, or just anything super is just old and used a lot. But over the years it has become more thrilling. Two super fast fighters, fighting in fast paced traffic, is nice to watch, but gets tiresome when everyone does it.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't know about super speed. I can't think of that many speedster characters.
And a well done fight scene (I'm thinking movie here) with The Flash or someone like that could be ****ing amasing.

That reminds me, have you seen The Incredibles? Watch that then tell me that super strength and super speed aren't cool anymore.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Super speed and strength have just been used a lot, when compared to the power of controlling paper(Read or Die/anime). Super speed and strength haven't lost there spice, but have been used a lot, but not to the sickening point. They will always be a entertaining power. You would be happy to if you had super strength and speed, because now you tow your own car and get to the repair shop faster than Nascar.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
The problem isn't that those things are overdone, it's that people use them under the assumption that they will make a character or a story cool, instead of making sure they do a good job of using whatever cliche it is.

mercenary
05-03-2005, 03:35 PM
That's true. Just because your character has cool power doesn't make your character cool.
Poor character designs is another thing that annoys viewers. Some characters these days have sallow personalities or just another repeat/copy of some other character.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah. Enough with the brooding loners allready. Over and over with the "Ooo . . . I'm mysterious. I've got a dark past. Ooo . . . I am angry and fighting bad guys."

Tharrick
05-03-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't like people who moan about having a dark past etc. I like 'em when they've got a bad past, and they know it, but they're doing good only because what's out there is worse, ya know? Like, when the character's a bad guy who doesn't want to repent of his past sins and all that junk. So they carry on doing bad things for good reasons :P

Lack of sleep is destroying my grammar and writing abilities :(

dfacto
05-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Personally, I don't find the superpowers and all that to be a problem. If the show is cheap shit with generic animation, anything will look bad, whether it's unique or not. If the show has a large budget then even mediocre stuff will be cool. For me it's a matter of budget over originality when it comes to fights.

However, I can't stand it when people power up for half an hour and the opponent just stands there. I mean, just run up behind him and crack his balls open with your foot while you're waiting for him to glow brighter.

I also can't stand it when the bad (or good) guys wait on the sidelines while someone from the party goes at it with an opponent 1v1. DBZ suffered from this, and it would have been much cooler, and much quicker if they had just had titanic brawls.

I tend to actually get pissed at the non-fighting things. The ditsy girl cliche is played out, and with Japanese voices it's absolutely mindnumbing. I'm getting sick of the Japanese fascination with eyes and their meaning. Seems that every show has commentary on "sad eyes" or some shit like that, and it's getting on my nerves. There is also some thing with disadvantaged youths. Seems that there is some traumatized/orhaned/screwed up kid in every single show, and it's kinda lame. You'd think that Japan is full of orphans with super mechs parked in their garages.

Azmodeus
05-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Honestly, the power up doesnt bother me.
I try to vision it in real life if Jet Li powered up and the ground started to break off and debris floated around him, I think it would make some badass visuals in the movies these days.
SORTA LIKE SHOALIN SOCCER! never seen it? go rent it.
DONT WATCH IT IN ENGLISH, read the subs.

What's up with the blonde hair though?
TRUE it could be made quicker, but what really pisses me off is the wait time for the hero to show up. FRIGGIN a whole episode for stupid GOKUsan to show up.

I dont know, anything can suck if presented stupid. For example, the INCREDIBLES, awesome animation with old school powers. Totaly pimps the genre.

Latest thing that gets to me, cards. WTF is up w/all the card cartoons. Card Captors, Yugiohh, Duel Monsters, even Digimon went into the corruption of this marketing scheme. Digimon was a decent show for a couple of season until that tragedy. Its no super at all I guess.

Professor Az
05-03-2005, 05:58 PM
The problem with characters having super powers is that most of them have been done already. The Incredibles are a prime example of using powers already established in the hero genre, but since they are used in an original way, they are once again new and exciting.

Good powers used as a CRUTCH for poorly designed characters piss me off no end. Any fool can be strong and fast. The trick is to do your homework, and to keep in mind all of the characters that have used the powers before. Being original is easier than it sounds, as long as you keep the way you are using the old school powers new.

When I get done with my comic, the powers of super strength combined with super speed will be tempered by semi-invulnerability and the guilt that comes with being the focus of every enemy attack for the past couple a centuries. As non-generic as I can get, that's what I strive for.

Hiltz
05-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I find characters like Spike(Cowboy Bebop) more interesting to watch fight than compared to a character like Inuyasha(Inuyasha) who has too many super powers for his own good.

Inuyasha relies on his demonic powers and the supernatural powers from the swing of his swords to fight bad guys while Spike is all about skill and being more fearful because he is just human and so he must be more resourceful and do his best to protect himself because being human means you are more vunerable to dangerous and life- threatening situations.

I'm sure everyone prefers flawed characters over flawess characters because a flawless character is just too perfect and is boring in every way from how they act to how they fight using super powers.

Flawed characters are usually more interesting than flawless characters. Major Motoko Kusanagi(Ghost in the Shell) is an example of a flawed character. Physically, Kusanagi is flawed yet has superiority of being a cyborg and all the superior strength,reflexes, and agility but she is just slightly more resilent than humans but she is not indestructable. I guess she is techincally immortal since she is a full cyborg but destroying her cyber brain would literally make her nonexistent which is the only thing that makes her mortal inside an immortal's body excluding her human memories that were implanted into her double cyber brain.

When it comes to a character using a weapon don't allow the weapon to define the character as being a hero, that would mean that the weapon makes the hero instead of the hero making the weapon.Those are shallow characters.

Putting too much reliability on the weapon can easily become a bad flaw whereas someone like Major Motoko Kusanagi has plausible and effective flaws that work to the advantage of the character instead of working against them. Haru from "Rave Master" I think fits the perfect negative stereotype of the weapon making the hero because without it he is basically a teenage loser with an unrealistic attitude at the world and at himself because it is flawless and that is boring.

The only character with original super powers that is repetitive is Alucard from "Hellsing". However, Alucard is arrogant and has a sense of superiority over everyone but he has style in the way he does things and that makes all the difference.

It is easier to use unoriginal super powers than to think of original super powers. This can also be applies to characters that try to reinvent themselves as well. Breaking the mold is what makes a true original character.

... feels good to get that load off my chest. :laugh:

Krieock
05-03-2005, 08:20 PM
The best superpower ever:
MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaS hiba!
lmao, Hank and Dean Venture bitches!\

The most played out: hmmm... that's a toughy... but I'd say super strength... every superhero worth their salt has supephuman strength.

FigureFour
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
The best superpower ever:
MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaShiba!MechaS hiba!
lmao, Hank and Dean Venture bitches!\

The most played out: hmmm... that's a toughy... but I'd say super strength... every superhero worth their salt has supephuman strength.
What the hell was that?

Spider Edge
05-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I think theres too many dramatic teens as the main characters in anime. I just thought of something that specificly made me stop watching alot of shows. Anime characters that suffer from "YOU CAN'T KILL ANYONE! Sure he killed your family and everyone in town! and then he peed on their grave stones. but its not up to you to take his life!" syndrome. I'll take an anti-hero anyday over someone who thinks a mass murderer deserves another chance. I don't care what the moral is, it's so annoying. I thought trigun was cool until they went over board with it.

Then again thats just me. If i was a pokemon character i'da put a gun in the mouth of a team rocket member already.

Hiltz
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
What went overboard with Trigun?

Bloodstar
05-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Vash not wanting to kill people I guess. I've only seen a bit of Trigun.

Battousai
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
figurefour why do you insist on creating an argument...it gets the forum of topic and is stupid.

i honestly don't like invisibility eigher.

Battousai
05-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Vash not wanting to kill people I guess. I've only seen a bit of Trigun.

not a superpower...just free will. but trust me he will continue that pattern. maybe that is why it wasn't popular at all in japan.

Spider Edge
05-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Why i see it as something played out is because I've seen alot of characters do that. Lets say your a cop, bounty hunter or whatever. Some dramatic guy is going around blowing up people. So as soon as you pull your gun on him, some token depressed anime girl screams "STOP! BOTH OF YOU! I HATE VIOLENCE!" and if it's not that, then it's a character that wants to spare the villians life. Vash, Goku, whoever, i hate it. If fist of the north star was like that i'd be pissed.

Hiltz
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
It's Vash's philosophy of not wanting to kill people when he can find an alternative solution. Rem further inspires Vash's philosophy. Vash protects himself because Knives and his minions go after Vash and everyone else just wants to get the bounty out on Vash's head. Vash deals with them for the most part by defeating bad guys and not necessarily killing them. Infact, Knives himself is basically the one responsible for most of Gun ho guns deaths despite him not always being involved in a direct manner and that is usually by commiting suicide or physically force them to do something.

Goku isn't an educated character to begin with. Almost every villain in DBZ was created for the purpose of causing senseless destruction. There's no point in Goku asking Cell, Buu, or Frieza to stop being evil because it simply isn't going to happen. Goku was probably just probably looking for a fight anyway lol. Goku's respect from living on Earth and his nature of being a Saiyan only worked out for him when he was eventually able to make Vegeta realize that being a good guy isn't so bad afterall.

Hiltz
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Vash is unlike most characters when he could easily overpower someone but choices to do something else. It may be reckless but it's how he does things.

FigureFour
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
FigureFour why do you insist on creating an argument...it gets the forum of topic and is stupid.

I honestly don't like invisibility eigher.
If you watched closely, I haven't been off topic here, nor have I been arguing. I was discussing differing points of opinion in a civil manner with someone who shares similar intrests.

I like to call that a conversation.

Just because I act like an asshole in response to idiocy (and there's so much idiocy here on the internet) doesn't mean I act like an asshole all the time.

Edit: Now if you were to reply to this, we WOULD be in an arguement, and it would be YOU who started it. How do you like that?

Battousai
05-04-2005, 10:07 AM
If you watched closely, I haven't been off topic here, nor have I been arguing. I was discussing differing points of opinion in a civil manner with someone who shares similar intrests.

I like to call that a conversation.

Just because I act like an asshole in response to idiocy (and there's so much idiocy here on the internet) doesn't mean I act like an asshole all the time.

Edit: Now if you were to reply to this, we WOULD be in an arguement, and it would be YOU who started it. How do you like that?

don't care...ever heard of the weapon forum...talking about christianity...a tad off subject. i will agree you actually kept it on subject kind of. a bunck of people are not doing superpowers. trigun for example. this is not your fault though ff. it is the guy that posted about vash. and to keep this on subject i agree with hiltz in that goku is a complete moron...also i hate sean shimble (i think that is how his name is spelled and i think he is the on that does goku's voice)

also radiation effects...we have had enough. western comics need so many new ideas.

p.s. ff, i don't mean to start arguments and i think they are pointless over the internet. i do respect you for be intelligent. i respect most people who are...considering everyone around me only have intelligece about cows and shite.http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

FigureFour
05-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Did you notice that the actual topic here is cliches and lack of creativity and that superpowers was just one of the situations we were talking about? Anime was another one of the situations.

As for me talking about christianity, if you weren't a complete asshat, you might have noticed that I was talking about the history of weaponry. Krieock brought up christianity.

I am glad you respect my intelligence though, I'm just not so sure I can respect yours.

mercenary
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
How sad, we can't even have a decent conservation. It's shame to see people argue or in this case read.
Lack or creativity is problem among weapons and styles. A lot things are repeated, like spikey hair, the teenage boy that has to save the world, the sword or the magic thingy(whatever you want it to be) that has power to save the world or has a mind of its own, dull and shallow characters and the only thing that makes him stand out is his weapon, friends, and/or creatures, and the villian that wants to destroy or rule the world. But finally someone comes along and does something new and captivates are attention, like are favorite TV show or video game. But sadly that doesn't happen very much.

Spider Edge
05-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Ughh... my whole point with the trigun thing was that i've seen to many characters in anime that have way to much pity for villians. I think thats what played out in adventure story lines.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Who else takes pity on villains? I doubt any of them are as intensified as Vash's seeing that his pity is part of what makes him so dangerous to be around.

Originality, unfortunetly it makes rare appearences but appearences that will always be remembered.

Anything involving a main villain wanting to take over the world is just a poor excuse to not being able to come up with a better idea, original or not. Quality over quanity... an evil villain can be just as sinister by only killing a few people that makes the viewer feel emotional about or doing something really bad instead of doing something as dull as destroying the world because there's no human emotion for viewers to act out on. Basically, anything a dragon ball villain has done should be avoided at all costs for future reference.

Some evil characters are so evil they don't need any weapons, like Legato(Trigun).

Lack of creativy: Giving a character a totally out of place weapon, the katana. Characters like Bear Walken(Gungrave) he lives in the modern world, give him a freaking gun not a silly katana.

Snowfox
05-05-2005, 02:05 AM
I like characters who use oldschool weapons in modern settings. It's kind'a like they cling to an old code of combat that's both a hinderence and a strength to their character.

Fishlike Samurai
05-05-2005, 05:35 AM
You know what's kind off weird? If you give a character a motive that hasn't been used yet, your story will be placed in section comedy, cause the only things left for new evil people who don't want to have the same motive as others are things like ''They didn't have my favourite banana's anymore.'' I think the counterside of people like Goku would be games like GTA. In there it's like Lalalalala I'm running on the street *bang bang bang* oh goodie I found 12 dollars by killing this guy oh look I got a police star! (In police car) Hmm we have now followed him for 90 seconds that means we have to drop the star and drive and pretend it never happened. It would be kind off funny to see a comic with characters like that :D

Battousai
05-05-2005, 06:52 AM
know what i really dislike...superman. honestly. they made him far far far way out their. his only weakness is kryptonyte. where the **** is someone going to get that. now that i fully take notice...i agree with ff in that superstength is greatly played out.

Krieock
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
What the hell was that?
lol, it's a friggin funny episode of Venture Brothers, where Dean gets onto of Hanks shoulders and they wave their arms around saying 'MechaShiba' acting like a Mecha of the hindu* god Shiba.

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
know what i really dislike...superman. honestly. they made him far far far way out their. his only weakness is kryptonyte. where the **** is someone going to get that. now that i fully take notice...i agree with ff in that superstength is greatly played out.
Thanks for not paying attention to me! I said that super strength ISN'T played out!

Also, if you ever read Superman comics, you'll realise that people get Kryptonyte all the time, and that it's not his only weakness.

Captain Marvel kicked the living shit out of Superman kryptonite free in Kingdom Come, and Doomsday KILLED HIM without any kryptonite being involved.

mercenary
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
A lot villians repeat the same tactics. There are some who have there own agenda, Slade(teentitans), his plan was to train an apprentice and then conquer the world, that's a somewhat out of the normal villian agenda.
Villians do tend to have simple or basic weapons, but that just shows true skill and power. To massacre entire army with a simple weapon such as a knife/sword/gun, that's amazing. Having a big powerful weapon, only requires more work, in order to prove that villian is powerful and worth being afraid. It's kind of stupid to be afraid of a guy who just hids behind his big, oversized weapons and is just a complete coward without them.

Krieock
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Also, if you ever read Superman comics, you'll realise that people get Kryptonyte all the time, and that it's not his only weakness.

Captain Marvel kicked the living shit out of Superman kryptonite free in Kingdom Come, and Doomsday KILLED HIM without any kryptonite being involved.
Cough*nerd*cough
Lol, just kiddin ;) , superman comics are friggin awesome - David Carradine confirmed that, lmao.

Krieock
05-05-2005, 09:58 AM
As for me talking about christianity, if you weren't a complete asshat, you might have noticed that I was talking about the history of weaponry. Krieock brought up christianity.

haha, yeah, I brought up the BC/BCE thing...
Battosai needs to get his facts str8.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Slade is just a pathetic villain with too much time on his hands. He fights the Teen Titans primarily for amusement and then for world domination. If a villain doesn't take the opportunity to kill the hero/heroes when they are down then they are enivatably sealing their own death. Training an apprentice from the start was a waste of Slade's time.

Slade's problem is that he can't even manage to successfully and permanetly take over the city and his real intentions are for world domination. Realistically speaking, if Slade can't manage to take over one little city then he'll hardly be able to achieve world domination.

Naota and Haruko from FLCL are some original characters. Their motives in how they act in the series is what makes them original.

The thing with Superman is despite all of his super powers he has one major weakness. Even without the use of kryponite Superman's invunerbility is still limited. If Superman were a flawless character then no villain would be a match for him. Death can be one of the best strengths for a hero.

**********COWBOY BEBOP SPOILER BELOW****************

In the last episode of Cowboy Bebop, Spike went off to fight Vicious but he knew there was a chance he could die yet he still went anyway. Spike was injured and could have just turned around and go home but he faced off against Vicious and when he died that made him more of a hero than when he was alive.

mercenary
05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Slade is pathetic for wasting his time and toying with the heros. But slade isn't as pathetic as you say he is. I think the idea of wanting someone to follow in your foot steps and continue your legacy of evil after you die, isn't half bad, it's better than just saying "I want to the rule world" and leave it at that. Slade really should concentrate on destroying the titans more, before they destroy him. The more he puts it off the more backwards and corwardly he becomes. He should really focus on proving to the titans that we is more dangerous than he's letting on.
Tell what you think of Yami Marik(Yugioh)?

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
In the last episode of Cowboy Bebop, Spike went off to fight Vicious but he knew there was a chance he could die yet he still went anyway. Spike was injured and could have just turned around and go home but he faced off against Vicious and when he died that made him more of a hero than when he was alive.
Jesus ****! Do you have no sense of decency?

I hope you get cancer and die alone and unmourned.

Snowfox
05-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't really like many Western Superheros because they just seem way to powerful anymore.

The ones I do love are Spiderman, Batman, Venom, and many of the mutants in the Marvel Universe. Although they're way stronger than a mere human, they're not - OMFG w00t move planest nads and destroy the universe with power of INFINITY -

But yes, I also enjoy anti-heros quite a bit. I love it when a hero isn't chained to "high morals", and can castrate a rapist instead of hauling him off to prison so he can get out in a few weeks.
It's awesome when heros ruin really bad people's lives.

Oh, and yes I do realize there are tons of overpowered characters in anime/manga too, I just was bringing up Western heros individually, not comparatively. :(

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Jesus ****! Do you have no sense of decency?

I hope you get cancer and die alone and unmourned.

If it helps I had leukemia when I was a baby. :unibrow:

The thing isSlade should have known better by thinking someone would actually work for him at his every command like a mindless lap dog and not question his authority or actions.

I'm not much of a Yugioh fan to say the least. Mind you I was naive when I used to watch the series. However,Yami Marik in a nute shell is simply another wannabe psychotic and power-hungry driven villain who not surprisingly ends up failing to achieve what he set out to do.

However, I give him some points for the satisfaction he gets from winning duels and capturing the souls of his victims but unfortunetly for him the lost souls he defeated were brought back to life so all his efforts were in vain. Still, he's an unoriginal clever and sneaky villain who thinks that he has a shot at ruling the world with the power of some stupid god cards. I'll put it this way, anyone who thinks they can rule the world with some game cards are sadly mistaken.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
double post.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
The thead also deals with anime storylines, that is part of Cowboy Bebop's storyline and I was using it to make a point. I pity anyone who has yet to see the series for as long as it has been out and available. However, I apologize for not putting a warning in advance.

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Nice tripple post there.

And I was refering to blowing the ending to one of my favourite anime series, you dirty cock.

Seriously, if I could I would poke out your eyes and piss in the sockets.

Alucard1515
05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
also radiation effects...we have had enough. western comics need so many new ideas.
That's an excellent point... if this were the 60s. I can't think of any newly created characters that have that as part of their origin, unless it's a parody, or just some sort of toying with the conventions of comics.

I don't really like many Western Superheros because they just seem way to powerful anymore.
I don't really think so. DC seems a little worse about it, but most comic characters seem to be basically normal people with powers. I can only think of a few ridiculously powerful characters.

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
The thead also deals with anime storylines, that is part of Cowboy Bebop's storyline and I was using it to make a point. I pity anyone who has yet to see the series for as long as it has been out and available.
It's still stupidly ****ing rude to anounce how a series ends. Jesus Christ. It's not like I can watch everything as soon as it was produced. I have a life and anime costs money. I had put off downloading the series till I could buy the rest of the DVDs.

In short, you are a royal ****ing asshole, and I want all the most horrible things you can imagine to happen to you and your family.

Alucard1515
05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Yes. Please, in the future, if you are going to give something MAJOR away, put a spoiler warning in your post. That way, you can ruin whatever you want, but it gives people a chance that don't want it ruined the oppurtunity to skip over it.

mercenary
05-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Here's a crazy villian and quite poweful, Zeke(ShamanKing). I think he's different to a certain extent. He wants to destroy humanity but have only Shamans running around on the planet. That's different, but kind of less interesting, because with normal people would be dead, the viewers can't really relate to what it would be like to live in a Shaman only world, because we be dead if the situation was real, unless we were Shamans too. But even then, only the strongest Shamans would be alive and the weak would perish along with the non Shamans. If the Shamans weren't reproducing fast enough the Shaman people would die out and noboby would be on this planet expect Zeke because he'll come back again. Zeke maybe prowerful, but his plan isn't full proof, but as a person I like him because he's like a mirror of me in a way, which is creepy, along with some other characters.

Snowfox
05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't really think so. DC seems a little worse about it, but most comic characters seem to be basically normal people with powers. I can only think of a few ridiculously powerful characters.

Yep yep, I was mostly referring to DC. I usually love Marvel way more for some of those reasons. But both universes still have ridiculously powerful characters (Superman and Captain Marvel for example). I guess after watching DBZ for so long that kind of godlike power isn't as appealing as it once was.

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 10:04 PM
That depends on what DC comics you are reading.

They publish all their good stuff in their Vertigo line. Pretty much every Vertigo title is better then most stuff Marvel is cranking out lately.

Snowfox
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah, you should never stop reading comics, because now it's like there's a zillion parallel universes in DC to which I have no idea what's going on.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Villains who are bent on destroying humanity should really consider watching an episode of Oprah. With any luck they'll learn to cope with their inner demons before taking out their rage on a heavily flawed path of causing humanity's destruction.

Played out super powers?

Turning Super Saiyan.

Transforming into Super Saiyan was perfectly understandable.

Transforming into Super Saiyan 2 was pushing the buttons a little.

Transforming into Super Saiyan 3 was just ridiculous.

Transforming into Super Saiyan 4 was beyond riciculous.

Thanks to DBZ and their ki powering-up Super Saiyan concept there have been so many take offs on it and parodies of kiddy cartoons that make fun of dbz because of it.

Alucard1515
05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
They publish all their good stuff in their Vertigo line. Pretty much every Vertigo title is better then most stuff Marvel is cranking out lately.
That depends on what Marvel comics you're reading. :P

I love Vertigo, but Marvel is putting out some good stuff right now. I wasn't trying to imply that DC was bad, just that some of their characters tend to be insanely powerful, and Marvel's tend to be more human. Of course, that depends entirely upon the character, but I was speaking generally.

The one thing that's bugging me about both of them right now is the return of the gigantic storylines. I don't mind occassional crossovers, or even regular ones if it's one or two books, but right now they're both having these giant events coming up that will be a pain in the ass to keep up with. Well, I'm probably not going to try all that hard, but it's still annoying...

The only big complaint I have against Marvel right now is how each book seems to exist on its own. I know I just complained about the giant crossovers, but making reference to other storylines or at least acknowledging that they are happening, would really help things out. For Christ's sake, Wolverine is on three (I think it's three) different X teams, The Hand turned him into a psychotic killer in his solo book, and he's going to be joining the Avengers. All these things are occuring simultaneously, without any attempt to tie them together. Same deal with Bishop. He's over in the Savage Land in Uncanny X-Men, but he's playing detective in New York in District X. I don't even want to start on the retarded, conflicting shit they did with Venom.

I still like many of those books, but I have to pretend the others aren't even happening, otherwise many of the stories just don't make much sense. At least, not in the order that they're published.

Snowfox
05-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I guess they just expect you to be a loyalist to one storyline. Maybe like vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate. You pick what interests you most. :/

Alucard1515
05-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks to DBZ and their ki powering-up Super Saiyan concept there have been so many take offs on it and parodies of kiddy cartoons that make fun of dbz because of it.
I don't know why so many people can either not notice, or ignore the fact that Akira Toriyama was pretty much parodying DBZ by the end. He was making fun of a lot of the things most people tend to complain about. The problem is, as I've mentioned before, the anime screwed up the timing of most of the jokes, so it defeated what he was doing in some cases. I mean, the entire fight between Gotenks and Buu was just him laughing at himself. He was a showboat who named all his moves ridiculous names (and wouldn't attack unless he did so first), Buu at one point was waiting so long for the fight to start that when the camera cut back to him, he was laying down drinking a soda and reading a magazine.

The problem is, some people take the show way too seriously.

Hiltz
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
It certainly makes great paradozing material for other anime/western cartoon to make fun of. Although, it seems western cartoons still do it besides having made their point and have overkilled the whole dbz parody.

Other anime series like FLCL makes fun of Lupin the Third when Kamon
(the main character's dad) jumps out of his clothes and makes a diver's position when he wants to get hot and heavy with Harkuko who ends up knocking him out.

FigureFour
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, I definitly haven't been following Marvel lately.

I picked up the Wolverine Origin book recently, and I read a lot of the "Ultimate" stuff.
Ultimate X-Men wasn't bad, and I ****ing LOVED The Ultimates (good to see that they aren't taking themselves seriously), but nothing compared to any of the Vertigo titles I love.

Come to think of it, four of my top five comics of all time are Vertigo titles.

And if you can't guess three of those four, you need to read more comics.

Tharrick
05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
... I think I need to read more comics...

I don't read a lot of comics, but I do read a lot of books, and I find that the ones with the best storylines are generally the older ones, although there are one or two newer ones that aren't all bad.

DN
05-06-2005, 02:14 AM
The Ultimates is pretty good, but probably just because it's not tied down by continuity. They can play with the original characters a bit.

Other than a few of the books Al keeps pressuring me to read, I've just been avoiding the older mainstream books altogether, mostly to save money. Plus, it's much easier to read some of the books that aren't as old where you can start them and know they're going to end at some point. The stories usually end up being better too when they're not bogged down with continuity issues.

Actually, I think some of my favorite stuff right now isn't even about superheroes, like The Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man, and Fables. Though, I also like Invincible and Supreme Power, so there's still some good ones out there that deal with people in tights.

Battousai
05-06-2005, 08:14 AM
i was boxing all my comics yesterday and noticed how much i trully hate the new ones. i dislike the new artists and styles. i enjoyed the late 80's and 90's art work. and some new millenium stuff.

Docam
05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
I really hate superheros who are indestutable yet they get their #$$ kicked!

I also think that dbz should have ended with with the buu saga instead of going into dbgt! i mean come on... how come every time the superhero(Goku) Claims to be the strongest person in the world another villain who is 10 times stronger than him pops out of who knows where to wreak havoc.

Mainly as you can see i dislike dbgt.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Are the books Al is pressuring you to read Swamp Thing (the Alan Moore bit), Sandman and Preacher? Because if so, he's right.

I think DBZ should have ended with the sales pitch to the TV producer.

DN
05-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Are the books Al is pressuring you to read Swamp Thing (the Alan Moore bit), Sandman and Preacher? Because if so, he's right.

Heh, no. Since you're insulting my manhood, I'll point out that I read Preacher before he did and was the one that made him read it, though he did push me to read Swamp Thing. I haven't finished all of Sandman yet though only because I've been lazy about buying all the books. You'd have to ask Al where he's at with that one, but I seem to remember last time we talked about it, he was around the same part I was.

Anyway, I was referring to some of the more mainstream stuff like the Ultimate stuff and one or two X-Titles. I've mainly been avoiding those and sticking to the Vertigo stuff and a few others since I started collecting again (which has only been within the last year or so).

I used to collect back in the late 80s, early 90s when Image first started, then got burned out because of all the crap like the ULTRA NEON GLOW IN THE DARK COVER! every week. I started up again like a year and a half ago because Al was a drug pusher and suggested a few good ones like The Walking Dead and Invincible. I've been avoiding certain titles just to manage the addiction. :p

Let's see, since it's not too long a list, here's what I'm reading regularly at the moment: Y, Walking Dead, Invincible, Supreme Power, Lucifer, Fables, and Powers. There's a few more odds and ends I pick up off the internet or manga I download occasionally, but those are the main ones.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, at least you've got taste.
If you haven't read it yet, I'd recomend Transmetropolitan as well. I've recently started trying to finish it again, and I love it more then ever.

Admitedly it's not for everyone, but if you read it, you'll at least understand why I love it so much.

It also explains my increased levels of bastardism lately.

DN
05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I read most of it, but about 2/3 of the way through, it got a little slow. I think I still need to buy only 1 or 2 books for that one. Just haven't bothered with it yet.

And yes, I can see why you might like Spider Jerusalem. :p

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Spider Jerusalem is my hero. Go figure.

someone1074
05-06-2005, 01:33 PM
hm...had a comment to make about the end of Cowboy Bebop...but I think this thread moved away from that anyway...

I'll just say Spike is no hero for doing what he did...he was somewhat pathetic, but he had no choice in his action. If anyone cares to know why I see him in that light (despite the fact that he is one of my more-liked anime main characters) then you are free to ask. I'll try and come up with a timely response.

hm...I need to get back into comics again...the only reason I left some years back was because it came to my attention that there were more than five story arcs (diff comics) involving one hero I was reading of...and after looking at the covers for them all and realizing later that they all took place at the same time...I just walked away from that...not worth the confusion. I should pick up the Ultimates some time tho...I was half-way through U Spiderman before I lost interest, as stated above. (no, I'm aware the Ultimates are fairly in sync with themselves, it wasn't Spiderman I was talking about with the 5 story arcs)

I recall some complaints about the storylines involving some random youth suddenly awakening with powers that are necessary to save the world in some inexplicably contrived manner (I suppose this is generally attuned to anime, yes?). Well...despite the mainstream nature of some of those story-lines, writers tend to use that idea to illustrate the symbolism of the fact that the 'new' generation is what we will depend on in the far future for survival. Notice how most of the time, said characters are initially portrayed as callous youths who are more often than not lacking discipline and direction, then through the course of the anime they manage to realize what their destinies have in store for them and respond accordingly to it? Simply put, its just to show how eventually the rotten 'new' generation we see around us will eventually (or better) change to deal with the world they live on.

of course I could be completely wrong...but thats how I see it anyway ^_^;

mercenary
05-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Here's an overused enemy, zombies, I think most shows has something refering to undead creatures. Zombies are cool, the idea of having an army that can't die is slick, but they've been used so much, it's hard to make your own personal zombie. Then some fail to make them scary or worth being afraid of.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Zombies will NEVER be overused.

If there is one thing I hate, it's the ****ing undead.
You don't even need a plot to satisfy me if there are zombies involved, I could watch those ****ers die all day.

That's why Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a great game. You got to kill Nazis AND zombies.
And who doesn't like killing Nazis and zombies?

Cativo
05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
How about the one when the main character gets so mad, that he/she is able to do something almost impossible?(Goku going super for example, in NGE happens too)

mercenary
05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
The youth that has to been used many times and have become less interesting because the creators of the characters fail to make there character come off the page or off the TV screen. They make the characters so sallow they seem less human and more like a one track mine, robot, shouting the same old agonizing goal: "must save the world" or what every the common goal is.
Zombies will never be over used, where they lose popularity, I say they've been over used because zombies have a purpose, not to rule the world but more like destroy/eat there victims, but some haven't kept to that simply purpose. I don't want to see a mindless zombie become someones best friend, that's cool but silly. The zombie that would normally eat me, is now my best friend and sharing a refrigerator on top of it. That's scary to me. Zombies are mindless killers who just have a single objective: eat your flesh and fill there half rotten stomachs with it, then find more victims to consume. To me that's there script and zombies users should stick to that, those that follow otherwise, may your decision have the best of success.

Hiltz
05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Demons are easily the most overused and represenative of supernatural villains and for good reason.

Since demons aren't real then their appearences and forms have endless possibilities.Demons represent everything evil about humanity and their motives are usually to improve themselves in every way they can just so it makes them feel superior or just go on a bloody rampage for no apparent reason because being a demon means you don't need a reason to do anything.

The one thing is most if not all demons seem to share is their existence to kill and survive. Other than that they are useless in the world they live in live and that can include living on Earth in many of the animated series,movies, and comic/manga books they are found in.

In the anime series, "Inuyasha" demons including half-demons like Inuyasha are so captivated by how superior they are that they don't do anything really productive in their lives to greater benefit themselves,their fellow demons, or the world they live in, which in this case would be fuedal Japan.

Ironically, if demons think they are so superior then why is it in Kagome's era that demons no longer exist and humanity has become the superior being? The reason is simple, they never did anything productive to ensure their race's survival.

Obviously, the only true statement demons make is that they are typically superior in physical form compared to ordinary humans. Although, humans are superior in their will to survive and prosper.

Demons live to fight and humans fight to live.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 04:37 PM
How about the one when the main character gets so mad, that he/she is able to do something almost impossible?(Goku going super for example, in NGE happens too)
That would only be cliche if it wasn't true. Extreamly elevated levels of emotion can allow people to acomplish feats they would normally never even attempt.

Reality is by definition, not a literary cliche.

Hiltz
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
A human can have such an adrenaline rush or due to possible other reason that they can tolerate pain and summon up incredible strength usually triggered by some sort of event. However, it is highly unlikely that anyone will transform into a super saiyan. :laugh:

The reason why those characters can do near impossible things is because they are only limited to a person's imaginiation so you can make the unrealistic happen even if the character is a human.

Since Goku is a saiyan it is perfectly within his nature to do supernatural things that humans like Krillin will never be able to do. such as increasing hispower level with every fight and to transform into super saiyans. Notice someone like Gohan who is a half saiyan can still do the stuff Goku can but that is because he has saiyan blood in him whereas someone like Tien or krillin aren't capable of doing what a saiyan can.

Alucard1515
05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Since you're insulting my manhood, I'll point out that I read Preacher before he did and was the one that made him read it, though he did push me to read Swamp Thing.
You bastard, I've been telling you to read that for over TWO YEARS!!! I got you to buy the damned Dark Genesis trade (just the original 10 issues of Swamp Thing), but not the Moore stuff. You're insane, it's only 6 books, you lazy bastard!

And yeah, I just started on Sandman. I have up to book 6, but I haven't read it all yet. I burned through like 3 trades in less than a week, though.

Also, it is fun to get people hooked on comics, just so you can have someone you can hold a damned conversation with. Right now, as far as I can remember, I collect:
Astonishg X-Men (awesome), Uncanny X-Men (meh), Excalibur (alright), X-Men (mostly retarded), Ultimate X-Men (Brian K Vaughn!), X-Men: The End (dunno yet), Walking Dead (awesome), Invincible (awesome, but less so lately), Marvel Team Up (fun read), Ultimate Spider-Man (yay), Ultimates (awesome), Ultimate Secret/Nightmare/etc (interesting), Ultimate Fantastic Four (Doom sucks, but new storyline is good), Runaways (hooray), Ex Machina (awesome), Y The Last Man (awesome), Supreme Power (awesome, but soooo slow lately), Punisher (good, but not as quirky and weird as Preacher was), Swamp Thing (****ing bastards!!!! stripped away most everything Moore did, which had made him great), Conan (yes!), Spawn (habit mostly), Batman (probably gonna drop), Darkstalkers (haha, pretty, but dumb), New Avengers (gotta see where its going), Young Avengers (awesome... seriously), Amazing Spider-Man (depends), Marvel Knights Spider-Man (entertaining), Wolverine (only collecting for the current writer/artist team), Lucifer (love it, now it's kind of drifting).
I'm also collecting these as trades: 100 Bullets (awesome writing), Sandman (nifty), and Daredevil (love it).
Goddamn, that's a lot...

I wouldn't recommend all of them, but some are so great I have to get others (DN mostly...) hooked on.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I pretty much just collect trades, but my biggest problem is that I read Sandman, Swamp Thing and Preacher back to back. After having not read comics in a long time.

I'm should finish reading Transmetropolitan tonight, then I guess 100 bullets will be next, seeing as I allready have the first 4 books.

A guy from the comic shop turned me on to the new Starman too. If you haven't heard of it, see if you can get "Sins of the Father", it's the first TPB and is one of the better rehashes of an old series that I've seen.

I'll give you a hint as to just how non conventional it is by saying that Starman is shot dead by a sniper on page 3. And page 1 is a splash page.

Edit: DN read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing. Al knows what he's talking about.

Alucard1515
05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I just wish they weren't screwing it up right now. The very first storyline took away all his elemental powers. He had actually acquired all of them, not just plant. All except for Flesh, which he took from his daughter, and then just as quickly gave them ALL up so that the sorcerer manipulating the two of them couldn't steal them for himself. So basically, aside from a few powers he picked up in Moore's run, he's back to the way he was originally. And, while I don't mind the artist on it now, the way he has drawn Swamp Thing since he lost those powers is awful. He doesn't look anything like the way he used to, he's just a giant, goofy looking monster. He didn't just lose his powers, he lost his personality.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Man, I loved Alan Moore's use of Swamp Things abilities. And the way he was drawn . . .
Bloody amasing.

When he first appeared in the courthouse . . . all the roses. Holy god. I can't even describe it. That was some of the best work in comic book history.

Alucard1515
05-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I forgot the worst part; he's no longer with Abby. His relationship with her is what made the comic so great to begin with, but somewhere along the way (I believe it was before this new series), they parted ways. She's still in it, but it's not the same.

The storyline you're talking about was one of my favorites, and especially "My Blue Heaven" which came right after.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 08:59 PM
WHAT!?

How the . . .

****!!

I'm pissed now. Someone should suffer and die for this.

FigureFour
05-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I read most of it, but about 2/3 of the way through, it got a little slow. I think I still need to buy only 1 or 2 books for that one. Just haven't bothered with it yet.

And yes, I can see why you might like Spider Jerusalem. :p

I just finished the series a few minutes ago. It does slow down at a few points, mostly to help flesh out the characters personalities, but after every time it slows down, it imediatly gets more intense then it ever was before.

Holy ****ing shit.

I love that dirty, angry, amoral, GLORIOUS ****ing bastard.

DN
05-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Edit: DN read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing. Al knows what he's talking about.

Yeah, I know. I just haven't gotten around to it. Plus, I usually prefer to read most fo the series, but they don't actually have the graphic novels for everything. That means, I would either have to buy all the individual issues or just download them, and I haven't had time to dig through DC++ for the back issues yet.

Besides, I still have tons of other crap to read thanks to that rat bastard.

FigureFour
05-07-2005, 08:36 AM
The graphic novels of the entire run of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing are about two feet from my arm. That's not an excuse.

Besides, there is nothing better you could be reading. NOTHING.

Alucard1515
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I think he means all the issues in between the first 10 and Moore's run. You don't really need any of those to understand anything that happens. If you've read that first book you already know who the main characters are in Moore's run. Besides, from what I've heard of those issues, and what I've read what comes after, you're not really going to be missing anything.

As long as you know who Swamp Thing, Abigail, John Cable, and Arcane are, you really don't need to know much else. The first storyline does reference another story, but they give you the gist of it, and after that it's all moving forward.

McGarnacle
05-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I think that anime series start going downhill once it starts to get repetitive..which some have done. I like the storylines of anime, or any book/movie for that matter, where there is one objective to fulfill, and once it has been completed, the series would be over. Full metal alchemist would be a good example i suppose, I didn't mind the ending that much... I though Naruto was good, but to me it's seeming to get similar to dragon ball z...Bad guy comes, peoppe try to stop him, they fail, Naruto comes, kicks bad guys ass for a bit, bad guy fights back, Naruto's moral views come into play and that gives him power to beat people...after he does, they realise that their way of life is wrong and either become good/die with feeling. Also, we realise that most sub-characters have some awful past that affected them humongously. Even though it might not be interesting why not have just a normal person who's family didn't die or family upringing was corrupted? I kind of lost my head with this post.. :(

Wyrmslayer
05-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, and it starts to get repetitive when someone strongers comes a long and then the person fights and starts to lose, then something happens and of course he wins.

Im co-writing a comic and Im gonna try and make it as non-cliche non-repetitive as possible.

Hiltz
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
I think a series that is repetitive is only bad when you lose interest in the series even if you still continue to watch it. DBZ is a prime example.

Naruto is repetitive for a couple of reasons that I'll mention.

The constant use of flashbacks that are featured in Naruto. When characters have flashbacks during fight scenes the fight scenes tend to lose some of their intensity. Even worse are episodes totally dedicated to flashbacks.

Naruto is a great and interesting character-driven story despite there being so many characters to remember. Naruto is repetitive for the second reason for its fight scenes. Characters get stronger and learn new ninja techniques and go off to fight the enemy ninjas, typical for it's genre.

Some fight scenes go through the "dbz staring showdown" and some characters ( Naruto and Sasuke) do a lot of talking that simply prolongs the fight scenes.

The last repetitive thing is the whole "friendship concept" which I personally want to throw up everytime that kind of dialouge is found in any anime series. Naruto doesn't need to mention nor remind Sasuke that he is his friend in every freaking single episode and to make it worse flashbacks are shown. :mad:

FigureFour
05-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I think he means all the issues in between the first 10 and Moore's run. You don't really need any of those to understand anything that happens. If you've read that first book you already know who the main characters are in Moore's run. Besides, from what I've heard of those issues, and what I've read what comes after, you're not really going to be missing anything.

As long as you know who Swamp Thing, Abigail, John Cable, and Arcane are, you really don't need to know much else. The first storyline does reference another story, but they give you the gist of it, and after that it's all moving forward.
Actually, I started with the Alan Moore saga and ended there as well. You really don't need to read ANY of the books that come before, although I have heard they are good.

Naota
05-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I think I can think of something! From DBZ that influenced many others to do the same: HHHHWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! ZZZZZT ZZZZZTTT ZZTTT CCRRRKKKK HWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Alucard1515
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Actually, I started with the Alan Moore saga and ended there as well. You really don't need to read ANY of the books that come before, although I have heard they are good.
So did I. I only knew about his origin, which helps to know for the first few issues of Moore's run to really mean anything to you (as far as how what that revelation means). He explains everything well enough so you don't have to come into it with that knowledge, it just doesn't have the same impact if you didn't know about it beforehand.

FigureFour
05-09-2005, 09:13 AM
In conclusion, Alan Moore's Swamp thing contains no played out superpowers, storylines and has an over abundance of creativity to go along with some of the best writing I've ever seen (not ever seen in a comic book, ever seen period). Read it now.

Naota, you could have said that using way less letters thank you.

velcro animal
05-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Even the best show eventually "jumps the shark" if you keep it running forever. There's only so much you can do with one character. That's why sequils ruin so many good stories. The Matrix would have been better if it ended after the first movie. The last two were unnecesary.

speaking of zombies. One of the coolest examples of mindless undead in a relatively recent story was the Zombies in riot gear in Hellsing. Of course they were just a distraction, but what a distraction that is.

Tanalius
05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I have been having a hard time coming up with a good "superpower" or inhuman ability for my main original character in the comic I wish to someday make. I have gone through alot of things from turining into a shadow to controlling his own blood and none have worked for me. I need a power that you could imagine a powerfull evil entity granting, a power that seems dark itself one that people can fear and misunderstand. But one that will allow himself to still be one of the goodguys and one that will allow him to physically fight and not just stand back and let something fight for him. My latest Idea was him having a direct connection to hell. he would have the ability to do things like open a portal and allow the chains that bind the damned souls to come fourth and aid him, and other evil hellish things. But this still dosent have that ring to it, it just is not perfect. This is really starting to bother me and I am afraid if I dont find insparation soon I will go mad. >.< Maybe I can make him have 9 attacks, one for each layer of hell but what I read about each layer is so confusing. I just dont want a power that is boring, dosent fit his character, or is driven from a weapon and not from inside himself. Oh yah no demon inside his body making him more powerfull with spirit energy, chakra, ki, radioactive cancer giving aura but if I must use some type of inner energy for some reason I will come up with something a little more creative. and no he is not using his power to become the king,best,lord,win a tournament, become top [insert profession that involves fighting] So if anyone has any suggestions to a good power I can think about I would love you forever!

Wyrmslayer
05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I have been having a hard time coming up with a good "superpower" or inhuman ability for my main original character in the comic I wish to someday make. I have gone through alot of things from turining into a shadow to controlling his own blood and none have worked for me. I need a power that you could imagine a powerfull evil entity granting, a power that seems dark itself one that people can fear and misunderstand. But one that will allow himself to still be one of the goodguys and one that will allow him to physically fight and not just stand back and let something fight for him. My latest Idea was him having a direct connection to hell. he would have the ability to do things like open a portal and allow the chains that bind the damned souls to come fourth and aid him, and other evil hellish things. But this still dosent have that ring to it, it just is not perfect. This is really starting to bother me and I am afraid if I dont find insparation soon I will go mad. >.< Maybe I can make him have 9 attacks, one for each layer of hell but what I read about each layer is so confusing. I just dont want a power that is boring, dosent fit his character, or is driven from a weapon and not from inside himself. Oh yah no demon inside his body making him more powerfull with spirit energy, chakra, ki, radioactive cancer giving aura but if I must use some type of inner energy for some reason I will come up with something a little more creative. and no he is not using his power to become the king,best,lord,win a tournament, become top [insert profession that involves fighting] So if anyone has any suggestions to a good power I can think about I would love you forever!

Power to manipulate your own bone structure.

Like use your shoulder blades to make wings, his/her skin would stretch out over the wings to create bat like wings.

Increase the size of your hands and give yourself claws.

Seemingly Limitless possiblities, although, more than likely extremely painful to do.

Give yourself spikes/horns or armor, I like this power, Indeed I am a genius, I should use this in my own comic o_o.

Twist your arm into a grotesque blade, and your other arm into a shield.

Who needs a weapon with a power like that.

Hiltz
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I'd have to say that the super power concept of "The Force" in the Star Wars movies is among one of the best if not the best examples. It is used by the good jedi but is also used by those who are corrupted by the dark side. It is used as a meaning of hope but it can also be feared.

Tanalius
05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
kimmimaru-ish but better. that does sound like a good power and it fits his character also. hmmmm now i might be able to figure something out. keep the insparation coming!

Wyrmslayer
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I'd have to say that the super power concept of "The Force" in the Star Wars movies is among one of the best if not the best examples. It is used by the good jedi but is also used by those who are corrupted by the dark side. It is used as a meaning of hope but it can also be feared.

Although, in the movies all they use it for is to bring back there sabers after they were deflected out of there hands, jumping really high, and lifting stuff up.

Doku (sp?) used the lightning trick on Yoda, but damn was it lame in Episode 2.

The force has some serious potential, like in Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy you could get a lot of powers, but its still pretty much like Telekenisis to me.

Wait.

Who the hell is the Kisumisams mu character, and WHAT IS HE DOING WITH MY ORIGINAL POWER?!

*tear*

FigureFour
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey Wyrmslayer, that's an excillent and original power.

Or it would be if you didn't just basicly describe Marrow from X-Men.

Seriously, it is pretty cool though, and it hasn't been done often . . .

Wyrmslayer
05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Wyrmslayer, that's an excillent and original power.

Or it would be if you didn't just basicly describe Marrow from X-Men.

Seriously, it is pretty cool though, and it hasn't been done often . . .

Too bad ive never even heard of these characters, or else I wouldnt have posted.

Oh well.

New Power:

Give him complete control of everything with the colour black! >.>

Tanalius
05-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Arrrg I went and thought about it and I dont think it would work for Sen. Lets see... maybe the ability to..... I have no clue. I will list what I have allready thought of
1. Manipulate His own blood
2.steal the soles of the dead and use whatever abilitys they had
3. turn into a living shadow
4.absorb light and also use it in a weapon called the light baton wich could focus the light energy into a solid substance allowing the baton to become a whip, a sword, a long staff so on....
5.Hell Sorcery - many diffrent "spells" that all deal with hell like the chains of hell wich summons up chains or Dark Familiar where a small bat like demon will come fourth to aid him.

still looking for a power that fits. Not everything has to be 100 percent original if you do it better then the last guy.

velcro animal
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
color is very subjective. What kind of control.

If we could find a way to see without light would color exist?

Hiltz
05-16-2005, 11:57 PM
There was some kind of clown super villain on Power Puff Girls who had that power to take color away (I was channel surfing). :laugh:

Some ideas.

The Levels of Hell super powers

level 1 - Final Limbo

Opens a portal that surrounds a person in thick black fog that covers up all light.

level 2- Mind Flayer

Piercing sounds of voices invade the person's mind driving them insane.

level 3- Dopple Ganger

A slow death where a person's own shadow slowly disappears and for each part of the shadow that dissappears inflicts direct pain onto that specific part on the person's body. Once the shadow is gone the person falls dead.

level 4- Hail

Causes black rain to shower but the rain is actually boiling tar that dissolves flesh and bone.

level 5- Laceration

Invisible piercing winds of air cuts through skin that cause nonstop bleeding

level 6- Entrails

Vomit up your internal organs.(tastes like chicken)

level 7- Tainted Liquid

Blood fills up your lungs until you cease from breathing.

level 8- Fracture

Breaking of bones.

level 9 - Hellgate Bind

Tattoos are marked on the body, eyes and mouth are sewn shut and a damned mask forces itself to embed into the skin of the face. You cannot see or speak. The tattooes deliver unseen continous marks of pain while the mask grants immortality to enable eternal torment.

(put them in any order if you wish - sorry if these may be too evil)

FigureFour
05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Too bad ive never even heard of these characters, or else I wouldnt have posted.
That's pretty much what I thought. I figured you'd like to know.
2.steal the soles of the dead and use whatever abilitys they had

OH NO! Their soles! How will they walk?

And Hiltz, is there actually any parallel between those powers and the different levels of hell, or did you just think up nine evilish powers?

And just so I'm not standing around criticising, what about the ability to wither and age parts of his enemies body by touching them, gradually sapping their strength and eventually killing them.

Tanalius
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
My friend did that allready. ;-;
and for the 9 layers im looking for some type of connection for each if thats going to be his power. And for the soul stealing its stolen when they die so they allready cant walk but I decided agianst that power.

Hiltz
05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I've haven't been to Hell recently so I took a few minutes to think of these.

Alucard from Hellsing's vampiric powers are probably based loosely on the 9 levels of Hell. Not the ones I included.

FigureFour
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
It was a joke . . . of course dead people can't walk, but you never mentioned stealing their souls.

Hiltz, there are commonly accepted themes and aspects for each of the layers of hell, usually based on the description of Hell in Dante's Inferno.

Fiend
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
The good guys training up to be really strong, they kick some badguy ass for about 5 minutes and make strange grunting noises, then get their asses kicked by another even more powerful badguy named after a kitchen appliance with a tail for about 9 episodes, then they do it all over again.