PDA

View Full Version : Howls Moving Castle

Steasaurus
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/howls_moving_castle/

I'm not sure how I feel about disney cashing in on anime and studio ghibli but Miyazaki rocks.

pofo
05-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I'll agree that Miyazaki rocks, but I'm not very happy with some of the changes made to the story.

FigureFour
05-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Changes?

As far as I can tell, Disney's agreement with Myazaki is that they can publish his work in America, but they can't do shit to it. Has that changed? Myazaki was very vocal about his arangement, and didn't want his work published in America at all, but Disney offered him complete creative control.

Hiltz
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
At least Disney isn't going to make it into a 3D movie. I'm getting really sick of all those commercials.

I saw the movie "Princess Monoke" when my uncle had special connections with Disney Studio before he retired.

Steasaurus
05-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Disney just released Mononoke in Japanese though right? Miramax got hold of the rights to dub it... I think the script would probably be changed if disney were gonna do anything. They like to make things a little to "for kids" if you ask me. I always cross my fingers but got to take life as it comes :D

chain2treechick
05-26-2005, 06:14 PM
ewww....disney. why does that make me cringe...

FigureFour
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Disney just released Mononoke in Japanese though right? Miramax got hold of the rights to dub it... I think the script would probably be changed if disney were gonna do anything. They like to make things a little to "for kids" if you ask me. I always cross my fingers but got to take life as it comes :D
As I said, as far as I know, Disney signed a contract with Myazaki giving them EXCLUSIVE rights to distribute all his movies in North America, provided they don't change anything.

And I'm pretty sure Disney released Mononoke in english.

Lesser known fact, the english version of Princess Mononoke was written by the AMASING Neil Gaiman.

Alucard1515
05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Wow, I didn't know that.

Also, I don't see what the problem is. The dubs they've made have been really good, with really talented actors doing the voices of all the characters.

But then, Disney has been piss poor about promoting the movies, and they always get limited runs. That's kind of ridiculous, because it's not like they couldn't afford to advertise it and get people interested in seeing the movies.

pofo
05-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Changes?
Sorry, I meant the changes Miyazaki made to the original story by Diana Wynne Jones.

Fiend
05-27-2005, 11:58 AM
The Mononoke Hime US version was absolutely fantastic (dub, translation)

Can't wait to see this movie.

Steasaurus
05-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Lesser known fact, the english version of Princess Mononoke was written by the AMASING Neil Gaiman.

I actually knew that :D

I feel so proud

FigureFour
05-28-2005, 03:12 PM
The Mononoke Hime US version was absolutely fantastic (dub, translation)
Except for Lady Eboshi having a thick brittish accent. That kind of got to me.

That and how people in the other room kept saying "Is that Agent Scully?"

Fiend
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
True, I've no idea what's up with British accents in dubs. Wierd.

gmpilot
06-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Haha, my friend's mom has a thick british accent, and apparently she does some voice acting for anime!

Goldenavatar
06-02-2005, 01:38 PM
If I didn't stick to fansubs for anime, I'd definetly be watching this in theaters.

rag rappi
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I just heard about this movie in class today from my teacher. He got a ticket to see it on, I think the tenth, but he gave it to one of my classmate because he couldn't make it.

Shou
06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Im guessing this will be another spirited away scenerio. Disney releases it in limited cities making sure they downplay its existence and only advertise on cartoon network anime blocks. Then it wins an academy award for best animated film kicking the ass of all their selfmade movies, which forces them to re-release in ALL theatres due to public demand since nobody saw the damn thing or even knew it existed untill the oscars came around.

I was hoping spirited away taught them a lesson through humiliation and embarassment since they tried to make sure it does horribly at the box office, but apparently I was completely deluding myself since this is Disney after all. idiots.

Onwakariudo
06-09-2005, 04:51 PM
so does anyone know what "select cities" its going to be released in tomorrow and which "additional locations" it will be released on on the 17th. I've looked at disney's site and they don't tell you crap. I also tried google but i cant find anything.

moof
06-11-2005, 11:59 PM
IT's playing in San Fran, Los Angeles, NY, and other selected cities.

I saw it yesterday, and it was good. Worth seeing, though the Myazaki magic is a little formulaic this time.

Onwakariudo
06-12-2005, 03:14 PM
ok, so now im officially confused, all the trailers i have seen so far have said opening in select locations june 10th and additional locations june 17th, but the trailer i just saw for it said that it was going to be released everywhere on the 17th. has anyone else seen one that said it was going to be released everywhere?

Fiend
06-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm gonna see it this Friday! Can't wait!

Goldenavatar
06-18-2005, 03:58 AM
has anyone else seen one that said it was going to be released everywhere? I can't say I have, but you might want to check your local listings for that information.

Fiend
06-18-2005, 05:11 AM
Heya fellas, I just saw this film yesterday, and it's friggin' great. Highly recommended to Myazaki fans (dur) and anyone looking for an excellent movie to watch in general. Voice acting was spot on and it was just great. 10/10

Hiltz
06-18-2005, 09:49 AM
It's been out for a while now right? Perhaps I can use my AMC movie theater ticket to see it.

Cativo
06-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I was browsing the paper, when I noticed the ad....it's been shown nearby!:eek:
I want to see it but I think I'll save my money for War Of The World...I'm spending too much this summer(too many good games and movies!)

chain2treechick
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
has anyone else read that article that was recently in the new york times? myazakian menagerie...or something retarded like that. my mom's boyfriend brought it to me perhaps to get on my good side or something, but anyway, i read the whole thing through, and to tell the truth, it was kindof sickening. i don't know why...but the basic message just seemed to be like,
"O MY GOD! WE CAN ACTUALLY HAVE ANIMATED FULL LENGTH FILMS THAT AREN'T 3D!! THERE IS A WORLD OUTSIDE OF NEMO!!!! O MY GOD!"
i mean, they really didn't even recongize it as in another field...well, i don't really know what i'm trying to say, but i mean, they only said the word "anime" once in the entire article near the end. i mean, there just wan't much point behind it that's all. just talking about how miraculous it is that an animator would pay so much attention to the ***dun dun dun** BACKGROUNDS!!!!! and the scenery/weather.

i think what really annoyed me the most, though was that they just treated it as another american animated film like nemo and all these recent 3Ds and evaluated it as such...i don't know...

Cativo
06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Keep in mind Chain2chick that the author is probably an older guy/lady who has never seen anime before and has been draged to all the 3d movies by his/her kids.
I read a good article in BusinessWeek magazine about the business side of anime and why there is no Disney equibalent in the anime industry; basicly. there're too many anime studios. no sucessfull formula for creating a "blockbuster" both in Japan and abroad...for example Steamboy didn't do good in either, and it was the most expensive anime ever($22 million)....plus it's getting more expensive to make an anime in Japan! a lot of animation is now being done in S. Korea.

chain2treechick
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
yeah, i know ur right cativo, but it still kinda hurt that on top of all the misunderstandings among a lot of parents/older adults regarding a lot of japanese films, when it has the opportunity to show itself in a widely read newspaper, some journalist just blows it...

Cativo
06-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I know, I think these people have to start seeing anime not just as "cartoons"...Maybe I'll go see it afterall...

miggie2099
06-30-2005, 06:01 AM
Sorry, I meant the changes Miyazaki made to the original story by Diana Wynne Jones.
I look at an excerpt from the book on amazon.com and found that the kingís wizard was a man not a woman as depicted in the movie. Also the little boy was named Michael not Mickel. By looking at the table of contents someone died but that didnít happen in the movie. What other changes occurred in the movie.

miggie2099
06-30-2005, 06:08 AM
Every where means the local theater that sometimes shows independent films. I live in Jersey so there is a theater in Montclair that shows regular and independent movies together. It was playing there. Go to moivephone.com and it should list what theater near you is showing it.

Onwakariudo
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Just saw it today. I loved it. Miyazaki may have made some major changes to the story but it was still an awesome movie.

Melch
07-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I thought it was a great movie, too. The art direction was incredible, as usual. I was lucky enough to go down to a bigger city and see it in a massive movie theater. We do actually have it here, but like said before, it's just in a small movie theater that plays lesser known movies and indie movies.

My sister-in-law reads Us magazine and she was sayin' that it got the highest rating she's ever seen (four outta four stars). I guess not even the really epic, hollywood movies get that.

I'm actually still a lil bit confused on some parts, though. Like, why does the girl (cant remember her name right now) keep changing between an old woman and a girl?

~Melch~

Fiend
07-12-2005, 05:59 AM
I'm actually still a lil bit confused on some parts, though. Like, why does the girl (cant remember her name right now) keep changing between an old woman and a girl?

~Melch~

I was under the impression that the curse didn't effect her while she was sleeping. I dunno why she kept switching back and forth near the end, though. zomg slight spoiler.