PDA

View Full Version : What kind of a forum is this?

Kessen
06-02-2005, 02:57 AM
What do u recon?
is this a forum a place for ALL artists (including cubists, impressionists, and abstract artists) to gather and chill as one, or a forum that's loyal to anime/manga?
What should it be? Speak up, Stand up and Be Heard!

Kessen
06-02-2005, 02:59 AM
What do u recon?
is this a forum a place for ALL artists (including cubists, impressionists, and abstract artists) to gather and chill as one, or a forum that's loyal to anime/manga?
What should it be? Personally i dont mind either way. Dis website's Heavy!
Speak up, Stand up and Be Heard!

Kessen
06-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Personally i dont mind wheather it's for all art genres or just anime/manga. Dis website's Heavy!

FLAME KING2341
06-02-2005, 03:42 AM
well it seems to me that this website is for all artist of all ages and your more than welcome to express what ever you do as an artist this site is very handy to me because my art needs help and they allways help me maybe to you it would be handy beacase you just want to show your pictures and chill

velcro animal
06-02-2005, 05:55 AM
It's for everyone. just pick a style and go with it as long as you don't mind critique.

Agent Cryrid
06-02-2005, 06:10 AM
I don't mind what the style is, or what the medium used is really, so long as it is done in a way that shows work was actually done and that some degree of skill was used. I hate abstract art with twelve passions of the Christ. I like art to be something I can at least identify/understand what it is I'm trying to look at, not some blotches of black on a red background. Any one who thinks that a splatter of paint is art that represents the "artist's" emotion is missing a few marbles.

ReddDragon7
06-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah I agree about the abstract thing.. but you would be amazed at just how muh strees you can relieve by taking an eisle outside and throwing paint at a canvas.... heheheh... and funny thing is.... last year at a gallery a friend of mine had.. I had one piece of abstract art up... one of my pissed off moods made that piece... and it was the first thing that sold... heh. Abstract art is a valid artform for some I guess.. but being like agent said... I would not like it much if someone posted it for a critique.. maybe post it in a sketch boook or something...... but to answer your question.. yeah.. it's a forum for all modes of art.... not just manga/anime

Ravenshade
06-02-2005, 07:29 AM
I agree, this is for all art styles. Though your feelings are your feelings so you cant really be critiqued on stuff that you've done to show you are angry or sad or whateva

Protius404
06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
This web site is definitly an "all art gathering place". It's just that anime/manga is the most common form here. Most people come across this site while wanting to draw anime/manga or something and find the tutorials and the find the message board. Thats even how I found it a few years back.

Jagori
06-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I came here while looking for tutorials on drawing manga, but it seems like a place I wouldn't be afraid to show work I'd done in other styles (if I had anything worth showing).

About abstract art... I think it can be valid, if what the artist claims is abstract art really is both of those things.

Jeanox
06-02-2005, 08:57 AM
What kind of a forum is this?

:eek2: Run. Run while you still can!!! :eek2:

(in honor of the late lina bo who has mysteriously disappeared from pk and is little more than a ghost on kutfoot)

Ninken
06-02-2005, 09:47 AM
noo.. stay.. :unibrow: :squint: :looney:

Ilaekae
06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I got some impressions from going through the old posts when I first got here...

Most of the people here seem to be interested in art that I would consider art for reproduction. By this, I mean illustrations, comics or posters and such. Things with characters and "real" environments--even though those might be pure fantasy. A lot of you are also manga-oriented, and are heavy into video game imagery, so I would think the first thing we would have to say is that our primary area of interest is art that is fairly realistic and descriptive, stuff that most "non-art" people would recognize and be able to appreciate. This covers a lot of territory. For example, my own attempts at what you guys are doing would probably be very "un-manga" by your standards. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna get involved and ask for crits because there's enough overlap that we can appreciate each other's attempts.

The concepts of cubism, surrealism and abstraction and such are schools of art that exist at an intellectual level. They're personal interpretations that are hard to critique unless you have years of exposure and involvement in them. This is MY real world. I'm a surrealist with deep roots in "primitive" imagery. If I showed you my paintings or sculpted pieces, you might like or dislike them, and you may or may not understand them. The same would hold true with a pure "abstractionist" posting his or her work here. too. If I posted anything like that here, it would be because I'm proud of it and wanted you to see what I did. I really wouldn't necessarily insist that you like it, though you could crit it all you wanted. It would be more of a personal thing.

I think the work that's been posted so far gives us a clear guide to what "we" are. We create worlds in a fairly realistic fashion, that contain things and people that are recognizable to most people as such. This doesn't mean we're all "Norman Rockwell." If you think about it, exactly how would Picasso or Paul Klee draw a Samurai? And if they did, would it be of interest to us? Quite possibly, because we may learn something from it...just as I do from the CG robots I find here, and the 3D environments some of you post. In return, you'll learn something from my attempts at fantasy and "lands-that-aren't-but-damn!-I-wish-they-were..."

Does any of that help?

Kessen
06-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey thank you all for the replies, I conclude from them that most peeps in here love Anime/Manga style art, however we would prefer if more art styles were present. (Excluding Abstract art LOL!)
Any one who thinks that a splatter of paint is art that represents the "artist's" emotion is missing a few marbles.

Why is anime so popular? Cause itís one of/the most expressive, and unrestrictive styles that shows skill (unlike abstract, lol) which Everyone can understand.

Ilaekae I believe I get what youíre trying to say > that this forum is for people (using all art styles) to express their imagination. However, Iím gonna have to look on da net to find out what surrealism is!

Bloodstar
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't prefer if more art styles were present, but I don't mind them.

Aires
06-03-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't mind what the style is, or what the medium used is really, so long as it is done in a way that shows work was actually done and that some degree of skill was used. I hate abstract art with twelve passions of the Christ. I like art to be something I can at least identify/understand what it is I'm trying to look at, not some blotches of black on a red background. Any one who thinks that a splatter of paint is art that represents the "artist's" emotion is missing a few marbles.

Hey! Now come on, I actully put in a lot of time and energy to actually make my digi abstracts, even if they are series.

It is a very varied forum

the shining
06-03-2005, 02:47 PM
why limit this thing to anime and manga. Of course lots of people here perfer Anime over other art styles.

Hiltz
06-03-2005, 02:51 PM
As much as I like anime I'm actually kind of getting sick of hearing the word "anime" all the time.

Western animation can vary in style and in exaggeration just as anime can. Anime and manga seems to have taken over where comic books and animation based on comic books were once dominant in.

Everyone on the forum has killed and or threatend at least one person and has arrested at least once in their life. Opps, that's supposed to be meant for rap artists.

velcro animal
06-03-2005, 02:59 PM
surrealism rocks

Ilaekae
06-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Surrealism is what happens when your brain moves to another city to work in the circus and forgets to tell you...

FigureFour
06-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Whoever voted "Anime/Manga" is wrong.