PDA

View Full Version : Did you gain influence from a Cartoon/Comic for your style?

Faliat
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
I myself haven't got enough things to gain influence from anything. All I got's Lolomecha's .Hack OAV. And I hate .Hack!
I think My eyes might have been influenced by American made stuff, like The Prince of Egypt and Mulan... But I'm unsure about that.

I do sometimes try to go more Japanese in some drawings, and some more American. I'd prefer to go a bit more American, but I just can't for some strange reason.

Enigmatic_Delugar
12-01-2004, 01:29 PM
I have been influenced by a few wll alot of manga, movies and shows. Here are a list of them below if you care to look::

-FLCL (Influenced alot by that one and I loved the show and manga also.)
-Inuyasha
-Pokemon
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-YuYuHakusho
-Cowboy Bebop
-Trigun
-Cowboy Bebop The Movie
-Spongebob (Believe it or not)
-Venture Bro's

and more....

slice
12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Hmm...yes, I hadn't actually thought about what I'd been influenced by before. I guess I've been mildly influenced by all of the mangas that I've bought. I guess the things I've been most influenced by are:

-CLAMP(Magic Knight Rayearth, Angelic Layer, WISH, etc.)
-.hack(the mangas. Mostly on the art pages. I like how they do eyes.)
-Fruits Basket(not that much, but it's still there.)
-Angel Sanctuary(I love this person's art style!)
-Cowboy Bebop(show)

Hmmm...there are probably a lot more...I'm going to have to think about this.

Aires
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Fred Gallager: MegaTokyo - Color
Aoi Nanase : Angel Dust - Emotions
Julie Dillion : No manga - Anatomy

Biggest Influences right now

Antisocial Anomaly
12-01-2004, 05:38 PM
My biggest idealistic influence is Katsuhiro Otomo (Domu, Akira). My art style looks nothing like his, but the way he merges realism with his sequential art is amazing, and I try to meet that sort of balance.

PhisH
12-01-2004, 06:09 PM
hmm influences.. lets see
people
genndy tartakowsky, Jim Mahfood, Joe Madureira, Shirou Miwa, darkreaver, Lesean thomas, paul fryer and tons of others..

comics.
Battlechasers, Dogs, crimson, e.v.e. protomecha, spider-man, batgirl, streetfighter.

cartoons/anime
old wb stuff, cowboy bebop, samurai jack, batman beyond, batman the animated series, grimm n' evil. uhm loads of others..

Hiltz
12-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Artists/Etc

Stan Lee - The comic book legend guy
Peter Chung - Creator of Aeon Flux animated tv series
Daryl Bird- Former high school friend & great cartoonist/real life/DBZ artist
Polykarbon - Of course
Todd Mcfarlane - Creator of Spawn
Akira Toriyama - DBZ

Tv series/movies/comic books/video games

Gargoyles tv series
Marvel/DC Comics - (back in the early 90's)
Cowboy Bebop tv series
Ninja Scroll movie
Yu Yu Hakusho tv series
DBZ (in the late 1990's)
He - Man and the Masters of the Universe ( the new one is better)
X - Men, Spider -Man, & The Savage Dragon
Batman animated tv series (1990's version)
Transformers Armada & Beast Wars
The Simpsons
Soul Calibur
Chrono Trigger
Gungrave tv series

Sagaseeds
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
The first major influence I had was Slayers, then it gradually moved over to more CLAMP-ish and Chito Saitou-ish. Recent influences would be Fullmetal Alchemist and Ahiru no Oujisama. :D

Hiltz
12-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah I'm also growing to really like Fullmetal Alchemist's art style.

Opaldarkness
12-02-2004, 02:55 AM
I know that I was influenced by gundam wing, since I first learned anime styled profiles and three quarter views by studying it. My eyes have been influenced by Fushigi Yuugi and clamp, hair by Fushigi Yuugi, gundam wing, weiss kreuz and just about everything else I've seen, Clothing designs by Houshin Engi, trigun and dragon knights, and anatomy by weiss kreuz, gundam wing, dragon knights, houshin engi and rurouni Kenshin. Roughly. There would be other, more subconscious ones, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Protius404
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
The first show that started influencing my style would be dragon ball when i was really little. Also there was the original x-men show and countless different comic books. My brother collected them so i got to see so many different one. It was acutally an x-men comic that i read that made me kick drawing into high gear. More recent influences would be new anime shows comming into the USA.

Faliat
12-02-2004, 11:35 AM
The first show that started influencing my style would be dragon ball when i was really little. Also there was the original x-men show and countless different comic books. My brother collected them so i got to see so many different one. It was acutally an x-men comic that i read that made me kick drawing into high gear. More recent influences would be new anime shows comming into the USA.

I remember watching X-Men when I was 4. I also liked street sharks, but they didn't influence my artwork though... I also remember just sittin' in the lodge in Wales on holiday, drawing and colourin' in.
I couldn't go outside because of a heatwave. I hate the sun. :squint:

Tharrick
12-02-2004, 06:37 PM
What influenced my hand-ink style would be Hellsing (the manga)
My digi-inking and colouring style I have to say was influenced greatly by Traum4 (wherever he is now)

Hiltz
12-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Ronin warriors anime series was actually one of the first series to influence meto have an impact on drawing characters. It's a good thing that the original X-men is still being shown in reruns.

pofo
12-03-2004, 04:35 PM
If I had something to be called style, the one thing I know for sure that would have put its mark upon it is drawing too much fan art of Folken from Escaflowne. Haven't drawn him in a long time (last bit of fan art I did actually wasn't a drawing but a kokeshi doll ^_^) but bits of his face still keep popping up when I doodle.
I'm sure I've taken inspiration from any number of other sources, but I can't really point to any.

+Incognito+
12-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I was influenced by many mangas and Animes which were all mainly Japanese, American Cartoon characters can put me off as some of the bodies are abit chubby:

Inspiration (In order of rank):

Gungrave
Hellsing
Ghost in the Shell
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Detective's Story (Animatrix)
Zone of the Enders

Snowfox
12-03-2004, 06:09 PM
No, not really... though others might be able to point out something to me. I've watched such a huge variety of anime since I was a little kid, I wouldn't know where to start to see any impression in my art.

Onwakariudo
12-03-2004, 08:02 PM
And I hate .Hack!

... too bad, I have a strange obsession with it.

personally, i draw my influences from almost any cartoon i watch, or any comic book i read. of course, i also draw influences from life and live action movies as well.

gmpilot
12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Well..at least there is ONE other person who considers Akira to be an influence...I practically learned to draw basic human forms from it. Next is probably Lone Wolf and Cub...seems I'm alone in that.

+Incognito+
12-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Akira was one of my favourite movies it taught me how to draw humans dying in cool poses lol.

Faliat
12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Akira was one of my favourite movies it taught me how to draw humans dying in cool poses lol.

I hate Akira. IT MADE NO SENSE!
http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/p/pissed.gif

Like the Dalmuir Gala Day ride though...

Hiltz
12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
What didn't make sense about it?

emmapeel
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I hate Akira. IT MADE NO SENSE!

read the manga. while the movie is cool and groundbreaking it does not hold up as well as a "story." the manga is 2500 pages, thus plenty of time to explain what should be explained.

as far as influences go, technically anything you see/read/watch/etc is an influence, whether you deliberately incorporate it into your art or not.

it took me a while to think of things that fall into the comic/manga realm but here's my list.

Cowboy Bebop (the movie and TV series)
Blade of the Immortal (manga)
Akira (manga and film)
Bengal (French comic artist)
Jo Chen (Chinese (?) artist)
Rodolphe somebody-or-other (animator)
Boogie Pop Phantom (TV series)
Neil Gaiman (writer)
Jill somebody-or-other (artist, did a series about Scary Godmother)
Edward Gorey (artist)
and some other people i've met online.

personally, i find a lot of films influence my art more directly than comics. but that's probably just me.

e.p.

Lolomecha
12-04-2004, 12:28 PM
kingdom hearts
pokemon
digimon
FFX
FFX-2
FFIX
FFIIIX

MaDPoWer
12-05-2004, 01:49 AM
The first thing i started drawing was TMNT and Batman and XMEN but that was so long ago that it's not in my style anymore. I still see traces of DBZ and gundam wing in there that i'm trying to get rid of. lol Joe Mad(battle chasers)'s style to probaly the main influence along with Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (eva)

Agent Cryrid
12-05-2004, 06:31 PM
I try to pick up different things from anything I watch or read. Even if I don't end up using that style, it is always helpful to see how another artist might draw something.

Alucard1515
12-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Stan Lee - The comic book legend guy
Uh, Stan Lee is a writer, not an artist.

I've picked up a ton of influences. I never really tried to consciously copy any of them, but some that have influenced me are:
Joe Madureira (what made me try to incorporate anime/manga traits into my art)
Mark Bagley
Greg Capullo
Akira Toriyama (not so much now, but I had a hint of his style in mine a while ago)

Robosockmonkey
12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm influenced by everything. Graffiti Art, Joe Mad, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Cowboy Beobop, Anime in general, Loony Toons (got to give it up to them), Mickey Mouse (and him too) and Disney in general. Daredevil Ninja (it was a short mini-series of comics that I have the collection book, or whatever you call it, but don't feel like going up to my room to check the artist). Michael Gange, he has some of the coolest art. FLCL, Pop Art (Andy warhol and Claes Oldenburg are just plain cool), etc...

Robosockmonkey
12-05-2004, 08:09 PM
I am inspired by all of these and so many more, but I don't try to copy them, only learn from them.

Mr Jack
12-22-2004, 05:46 AM
My main influence is probably J. Scott Campbell... I really like his stuff.. I also got a bit from Polykarbon, as well as from Joe Madureira and a number of American artists and Anime movies like Akira.

And mech design from Evangelion... and other places.

wherever. We are influenced by almost everything we see.

OhHenry18
12-22-2004, 12:28 PM
My main influences right now are:

Hyung-tae Kim (magna carta, War of Genesis III)
Yoji Shinkawa (Art Director of Metal Gear games)
Benegal (uh dont know much about him)

oolong
12-22-2004, 01:00 PM
i've really developed a lot of my own style lately but my biggest influences that are still visible enough in my work are Falcoon (http://falcoon.hp.infoseek.co.jp/), Great Teacher Onizuka and Rainbow Brite.

fatalM4
12-22-2004, 01:46 PM
shmorky, spumco, and 2ch flashes.

i also have some anime style which i think is unrelated and i have no idea where it's from.

CityRose
12-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Woah, I couldn't pin point what has influenced my style....in fact, I haven't even got a set style yet- it's constantly evolving. I used to mimic the style of comic books such as 'The Darkness' and the likes, but that's stopped now. You can probably still see some of that influence in my work, but I'm aiming to improve my work beyond simple comic art at the moment. I think some artists that have played a part in my style are:

Hoon, Kunkka and Miro from http://www.messstudio.com/con/

Noah KH: http://www.shadowness.com/members.php?profile=noah-kh&view_gallery=1&page_default=#view_gallery (right side of the page)

At the moment, the GFX image server is down, but you should be able to view the artworks here soon enough:
http://apipe.gfxartist.com/artworks
http://anry.gfxartist.com/artworks
http://azhrarn.gfxartist.com/artworks

I never really get influenced by Manga beyond the idea of creative clothing. Manga is too tight a style for me- not enough room to be really creative unless you start breaking rules of basic Manga. That said, Tetsuya Nomura does inspire me with his creativity to the Manga style.

As I discover new artists, I'm sure my style will grow from that. I think I like it that way too. ^_^

KuranosukeOishi
12-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Manga is too tight a style for me- not enough room to be really creative unless you start breaking rules of basic Manga.

Manga isn't a style, it's a medium. If I look at something by Katsuhiro Otomo and then look at something by Rumiko Takahashi, they look nothing at all alike. Or say, something by CLAMP and Masamune Shirow. Again, vast differences and yet they're still all manga.

To be fair, you could probably argue that there are similarities between all the artists I mentioned, but you could do the same with western comic artists and, feasibly, classic painters.

Hiltz
12-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I've been lately inspired by the artwork as well as the songs of Naruto (tv).

CityRose
12-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Manga isn't a style, it's a medium. If I look at something by Katsuhiro Otomo and then look at something by Rumiko Takahashi, they look nothing at all alike. Or say, something by CLAMP and Masamune Shirow. Again, vast differences and yet they're still all manga.

To be fair, you could probably argue that there are similarities between all the artists I mentioned, but you could do the same with western comic artists and, feasibly, classic painters.
Ah yes, you have a point. I know there are many differences between artists (you could check out http://warrenlouw.gfxartist.com too when the server is up and running again) and their manga. Generally I mean that there are limitations in that if you do certain things, it stops looking like Manga. I personally just prefer to go with the flow. I don't have anything against manga; in fact I'm the only person who likes anime in my household. ^_^

Cruiser18
12-23-2004, 03:28 AM
hmm, my style lies mostly with manga, but it's not really define yet. I don't have a very specific look in my drawings that I wanna achieve every time I sit down and draw.

My main influences must be: Joe Mad & Hyung-Taekim as artists.
The fullmetal alchemist looks has had a bit of influence on me lately too :D

Javaman
12-28-2004, 07:34 PM
applegeeks.com--mohammed haque
machall.com--ian mconville
vgcats.com--scott ramsoomair
derekhess.com--derek hess

those are the people who influence my art and my personal heroes.

tokenblackguy
12-28-2004, 10:16 PM
I got mine from all the kinda old anime's

Last Exile
the Tenchi Series (yeah all uv em')
Inuyasha

btw i hate DBZ!!!

KiWi
12-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Cartoons/Anime
Spawn
Mortal Kombat
DBZ(when I was younger)
Rumonin Kenshin

Bloody-Mando
01-01-2005, 04:05 PM
hmm influences.. lets see
people
genndy tartakowsky, Jim Mahfood, Joe Madureira, Shirou Miwa, darkreaver, Lesean thomas, paul fryer and tons of others..

just wanted to give Darkreaver a pat on the back for being there side by side with joe mad and shirou on someone's list of influences.... :D i definitely got influenced by you from the few stuff i've seen of your work.... oh and one unforgettable (to me at least) OC session...

Naota
01-01-2005, 04:52 PM
hm thats hard...

Old cartoons
DBZ (not as much anymore)
Rurouni Kenshin/Samuri X
Furi Kuri
Fooly Cooly
FLCL ( :D )
Read Or Die (more "The TV" series)
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho manga (the anime talks too much)
Read or Die
Naruto
Shaman King
Read or Die
uh, Read Or Die.
Also pretty much everything in Shonen Jump

Fiend
01-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Hate to say it, but Masamune Shirow, because of the way he overly stylizes his characters.

Hyung Tai Kim is one of my influences too, mostly because of the detail and designs. His style of drawing is a little too realistic for me, though. Heh.

Sharingan
01-13-2005, 12:18 AM
DB, DBZ, DBGT~first influence, along with RK, what got me into anime
Rourouni Kenshin
Inuyasha
Ranma 1/2
Andy Seto
Karekano (er...)
Cowboy Bebop
Yu yu Hakusho
Samurai X/ Kenshin OAV's (OMG BEST ANIMATION EVER...so smooth...)
Shaman King
NARUTO (in my opinion, best manga/anime ever.)
HYUNG-TAE KIM (one of the best...manga-ka? not really. i dunno just say graphic designer ever)

I guess my style is most heavily influenced by Naruto, Andy Seto, and Hyung-tae Kim the most, which explains my slightly more realistic style...I do think that I have gone through pretty much every phase u can go through for styles in manga though XD. First with the DBZ stuff, then the Kenshin slant eyes style, then the Ranma/Inuyasha (Takahashi) big round eyes with abnormally small torso style, then the miniturized version of that like Shaman King, and then the Kishimoto Masashi style which is a combination of all mentioned b4, and finally a mix btwn Masashi and Hyung-Tae Kim. Hope you had fun readin my style autobiography lol.

Melch
01-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Man, I've been influenced by tons of people, mangas and anime's.

Darkreaver was a huge influence on me
Cowboy Bebop (super stylish!)
David Iseri (hellacomics.com ; watch out for the language there)
Skottie Young
Tite Kubo (the Bleach manga and also Zombie Powder)
l0cke (from Damaged Anime)
David Greier (awesome colors and style)
Samurai Champloo (awesome graffiti styled anime :D )

And of course many others. Just too many to list right now.

~Melch~

Vava2109
01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I have more on the impact of inspiration . . . i dont know where my style came from . . . well if you can call myne a style . . . i ono whatswhat im just bored . . .Vava over and out . . .

blueheron
01-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Christain Gossett is currently my biggest influence.

clarion
01-16-2005, 01:53 AM
weee...more bored-posting spam X3

I'm not really sure what all has influenced my style. I can't think of anything I've consciously tried to emulate, which is probably why I can't pin it down. I've been told it has an 80's american cartoon feel, which is neat, I guess. :ugh:

Tigger
01-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Tania del Rio is great, I love her stuff. Hmm...I enjoy Monica Baker, Sara Butcher, and Jennadelle, but none of them are Manga. Or big comic/cartoon style artists. I like Johanna Brummer as well. But Tania is my first and only Manga true-love.

DaiKamonohashi
01-17-2005, 03:19 PM
One of my biggest influences would have to be Jeff Smith's "Bone" (which, if I had access, I would read like a madman).

And Godzilla. Don't ask how, but I am very much inspired by the DaiKaiju Eiga.

Oh yes, and Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes". And "The Far Side" by Mr. Larson.

Now, I have nothing against anime or manga but when someone tells me that what I draw is such, I get really pissed off, because that's not the way I draw. I just can't stand that assumption...

As for Anime/Manga influencing me, I'd have to say that it doesn't really, except in recent times, it's been seeping in (my friends can be obsessed and while I find it "meh", they expose me to it whether I like it or not).

Hmm... anything else... oh yeah, Monty Python in all forms!

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore you anymore :)

Phunin
01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Influences From PK:
-DarkReaver
-Phish

Other Influences:
-Testuya Numora (Kingdom Hearts Creator)
-Masashi Kishimoto
-Stan Lee
-Nobuhiro Watsuke
-Yoshihiro Togashi
-Hiro Mashima
-Yasuhiro Nightow

Gaara
01-18-2005, 10:51 PM
l0cke is so awesome, way to go melch. I have never seen such amazing land/city scapes, i wet myself...every time i see them.

Tharrick
01-19-2005, 04:37 AM
I mainly only do inks, but I find I got a lot of inspiration from Kohta Hirano (good ol' Hellsing :P) and usually aim for really dark stuff. Been veering a lot towards digital stuff though, and I've been influenced by Traum4 (anyone seen him around, btw?) in that I learned to digi-ink from his tutorials :P

Gillermo
01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
My two main influences are Jim Lee and Mike Turner. They are awesome! I recomend picking up any comic books that they penciled

Alucard1515
01-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Other Influences:
-Testuya Numora (Kingdom Hearts Creator)
-Masashi Kishimoto
-Stan Lee
-Nobuhiro Watsuke
-Yoshihiro Togashi
-Hiro Mashima
-Yasuhiro Nightow
People, please... Stan Lee is a WRITER. This is like the third time I've said this, and I think I actually said it in this same thread...

Melch
01-30-2005, 07:56 PM
l0cke is so awesome, way to go melch. I have never seen such amazing land/city scapes, i wet myself...every time i see them.

Ya man. His stuff is just incredible. His style is so smooth and detail just blows me away. Also, his ideas are just too crazy for me NOT to enjoy.

I just wish he'd freakin' update his site. It's been so long since he has.

~Melch~

K_x_uksami
02-13-2005, 12:25 AM
In terms of style, definitely the makers of Inuyasha as I watch it frequently. In terms of story ideas and such, I'd say my main influences are Eugène Ionesco, Hideaki Anno, and Jean-Paul Sartre.

Montressor
02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Excel Saga ep. 21 inspired me to create my comic

Captain Jack
02-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Im inspired by pretty ladies and commie-hating. good combo no?

Monty - "bricker of drunkards" thats frickin hilarious skad pochodzi Zolw Ozdobny