PDA

View Full Version : Mecha on rampage(really? no)

Vava2109
02-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Ok after looking at Dfacto's tutorial(i hope thats how you spell his name heheh) i came up with me own mech so here he tis: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Valcron/mymecha.jpg Not inked and not done, if you can youcan spot the starting guide lines and "balls" i used to plan his body out its not done and not fully detailed yet, Dfacto your mech is going down!(if i could color mechs that good boo hoo for me ...) I myself can already spot a number of mistakes but ill let the good ol' audiance of my art decide that Vava over and out

gmpilot
02-14-2005, 05:41 AM
I like each individual section of the mech, but as a whole it seems a little uncohesive...like it is just the different drawings stuck together a little awkwardly instead of actually built together...also there seems to be some perspective issues with its right arm (our left)...also its left leg (our right) seems to be facing farther right at the thigh than it does at the feet. Suddenly the perspective and angle changes at the knee, and that needs to be fixed...but very nice in general. Good job! Keep it up.

Non Existent IBW
02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
It you want something big and imposing(judging from your initial sketch this seems to be the case, make the head really small, the torso HUGE, and the limbs longer, especially the arms right now they are short.

I would make the lower legs a lot bigger and make redesign the feet altogether. I like the balljoint torso system and the opening cockpit. However please remember you should be drawing and indicating forms rather than just lines, I know that the details are pleasing to you but you have to indicate they've got mass otherwise it seems rather flat. Form follows function so everything has to make sense, rather than just be there to please the eye. Everything has to do something, and have a purpose. Maybe the stilts near the heel should have pistons. If you want I can trace some parts over it and post here to give you an idea of my insight. Overall this is pretty good, this is the best work I have seen so far from you!

put
02-14-2005, 10:59 AM
If you want it too look "big and imposing", another thing you might want to keep in mind, is that it might look beter when drawn from bellow. Directly translated from Dutch that would be the frog perspective, but I'm not sure if that's what it's called in english. Anyway, this is probably just a sketch of how it should look, so you might not want to do this just yet.

If I remember correctly it looks a lot like the picture from the tutorial. I'm not really sure about that though. Looks good.

Vava2109
02-14-2005, 11:27 AM
gmpilot: like i said i myself noticed the mistakes right after the sketch was done, and you pointed out the perspectives(the others i had no idea about heheh) thanks for the Comment/crit

Non Existent IBW: thanks im going to change alot so dont you worry, the forms, yes i should put them first. Practice makes perfect(im too lazy it did cross my mind heheh) The arms are aspecial case, they can expand and they can enlong like the hand can come out farther and all that but ill change it, also its too round for my tastes so im going to "box" it some. The chest is the flatest of all, it needs to look more '3D' so im going to be doing some major erasing lol yeah the stilts should have pistons like said its not done so ill change that as well and yes also do trace over it so i can see what you mean directly, and thanks imust admit i took 'some' time since so many mistakes have been pointed out heheh thanks also for the comment/crit

Put: Drawn from bellow eh? ill take a crash course at that and see how it looks and yes i did follow the tutorial to an extent heheh

Thanks for the comments people! Vava over and out

Non Existent IBW
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Put, that would help for an illustration but I was referring to the actual design itself. Vava there is a book called "ho to draw manga:giant robots special edition" It is a good read and also the book by PLEX(in house company for bandai that handles all the power ranger sentai stuff in japan). I want to do the trace tonight so look out for it.

Another thing, for boxy but angled curved arms, try a rectangle, and cut each corner@45 degrees so it doesnt have sharp corners, looks cool as well. A lot of modern RX-78 gundam variations have this feature especially Hajime Katoki's redesigns.

gmpilot
02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Ah, good ol' RX-78, been ages since I've seen it! Personally, I love gundam dendrobium stamen because of its more dynamic and curvy look, with the knee joints having soft elliptical covers and the same with the cockpit and boosters. But back to the topic at hand...I think the cockpit area would look less "flat" if you accentuated the forward features that stick out with more dark lines, deeper, and perhaps a bit of shading to indicate depth and shadow from the sticking out features, while keeping the flat sections light. Also, the vents should be a little neater, maybe use a ruler or something on them, they look a bit sloppy. Again though...must repeat this. This is REALLY nice. Very cool.

Dwee dee(3d)
06-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Non Existent IBW, I saw your animated transformer in the other thread... cool stuff
vava2109, The legs should at least look like they make it hard to tip the robot over...
although, adding cables couldn't hurt much either. It's good like it is since
I don't know what your intentions were...