PDA

View Full Version : The seventh circle of hell...shading

Pawn007
04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Gak, learning to shade is driving me batty, catty, and pretty much anything else that ends with "atty"

Anyways, reference used, 0.5 hb mechanical pencil, kneaded eraser, sketchbook.

ya I could use tips on shading...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/pawn007/skirtgirl.jpg

all c&c is greatly appreciated

doodle
04-06-2005, 03:28 PM
She looks familiar, who is that? Seems like I've seen her in a "pr0n0" before or something, lol ;).

As for crits, work on your pencil stroke a bit more when it comes to the hair. At the moment they seems very sketchy and jagged.. even if it is a sketch, there's a technique to making it flow more smoothly.

The skirt might need some more wrinkles, since it's being clenched.

Her left eye (closest to us) is also smaller than the eye that's further away. Also I'd get rid of or fix the indent above her mouth, looks kind of like a mustache.

That's all for that, good work!

emmapeel
04-06-2005, 08:45 PM
when shading (or rendering) with pencil one thing to work on is keeping the lines uniform in weight and spacing. it's kind of like crosshatching. you can simulate shadow by using different weights and spacings (not a real word).

if you want a smooth look then you'll need to blend the lines together. you can find a nifty device called a "tortillion" (i think) that's like a pencil except with a paper/cloth tip that you can smudge pencil/charcoal around with. sometimes you can use a napkin or the tip of a kneaded eraser as well. (don't use your fingers 'cause this gets skin oil on the paper and can cause problems with erasing and all that.)

there are some serious anatomy issues going on here as well. the "worst" parts being her hand on the wall, her face and the way her buttocks/legs join and go under the skirt. you should try breaking the figure down into simpler shapes first to get a feel for the way the different portions relate to each other, then go back through and tighten things up with more detailed lines.

it's a challenging pose, kudos for taking it on. :)

e.p.

Orna
04-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the anatomy is all screwed up(nothing other than what's been said), but it is a tough pose to draw.

As for shading, I would suggest using more than just and HB. Maybe use that for the darkest portions of the shade, then use that "tortillion" thingy(I usually just call it a smudge stick, or something along those lines) to spread the shadow across the rest of the surface. I would DEFINATELY recommend it, because the way her arm and face, etc are shaded makes them look more hairy then dark.

It's a good drawing overall, though. Keep it up

Pawn007
04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
well, i guess its time to go back to the drawing board... and to the local art store to purchase a "tortillion"

doodle: thats Sabrine Maui

emmapeel: tortillion, hatch the lines, constant lines (i have a dislike for "familiar" poses)

Orna: u mean, colour in the darkest shadows, then shade the rest with the tortillion thing?? (maybe she's just hairy :dance: :D)

IAC
04-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Wow, DON'T do a Google image search on that name, heh heh. Anyways, the pose is alright, and shading is a little weak in areas. Listen to the crits already mentioned, but also, try shading from a REAL black and white image. I know you can do it with color, but if you are just learning, try plain old black and white. Calvin Klein ads are notorious for B&W. Also, about the pencils, don't use mechanical when shading, its too precise and well pointy. A good trick is to tilt a normal pencil kinda sideways for thicher darker areas using the lower (higher in number) B pencils. Keep at it!

:EDIT:

Oh yeah, and the smudge thing is awesome. Just don't wear any white clothes around them. They're great for drawing temp mustaches on people too!

johnfields
04-07-2005, 06:52 AM
You can find all different sizes- look for blending stumps (or stomps)-( tortillions are wound paper usually smaller for detail work )
http://www.madisonartshop.com/stompers1.html
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Pawn007
04-07-2005, 11:24 AM
ooh, everybody is just full of good advice (and depending on our situation the google search might or might not be a good idea :D)

Calvin Klien ads, good idea. I've been using centerfolds, movie posters, magazines.. never thought of CK.

Alrighty, one more thing for thing before i'm off to the artstore (no creditcard :() is there any real difference in the brands or quality of the smudgers... like which one should I be lookin for. big small style etc.

Brown Streak
04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=IAC]Wow, DON'T do a Google image search on that name, heh heh. huh. Google wait whats that name? okeedokee off to google it is :unibrow: no but seriously in some places the shadowing is kinda thick liek the top of her shoulder. and her hand on the wall kinda bugs me.

johnfields
04-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Personal preference - dont worry they are cheap!
Alrighty, one more thing for thing before i'm off to the artstore (no creditcard :() is there any real difference in the brands or quality of the smudgers... like which one should I be lookin for. big small style etc.[/QUOTE]
________
The Cigar Boss (http://thecigarboss.com/)

KrimsonxtidE
06-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Hm. Nice legs, first of all. Unfortunately, her left eye is in the wrongplace; a little high there. Her left elbow and palm both look out of proportion. Also, the thumb on her right hand is too high and her ear is a bit low...but nice legs, dude. Nice legs.

Pawn007
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your comments... but before the mod kicks your behind... if the threads aren't in the first 2 or 3 screens you shouldn't bring them back up...

mmmmm... i do like legs...and thighs... and ... well nevermind!

Brown Streak
06-24-2005, 08:33 PM
thats true if it has fallen behind we should help it get to the top agian.

Brown Streak
06-24-2005, 08:34 PM
i mean the treads