PDA

View Full Version : valkyrie! update #7! feel like the legs are almost done; but crit 4 me to change!

gmpilot
04-19-2005, 12:39 AM
So nobody forgets about me!
Key:
Red = original scanned picture of f-14 I drew.
Blue = vague plans I just quickly threw on of the valkyrie...needs work.
Black = I was inking over the original scanned on a seperate layer because I wanted to get a better quality cleaner picture...and was too lazy to fix the last.

This picture is at 50% size...decided this is a good enough amount to post...this is just a start, so we will see what happens next.

One more thing...I know a lot of you left comments on how to fix up the f-14, but I kinda gave up on that and wanted to do something a tiny bit more original, so I'm sorta impromptu making my own valkyrie.
http://img243.echo.cx/img243/3766/f14pen224an.jpg

dfacto
04-19-2005, 04:05 AM
That pic is over 150 kb. That is WAAYYYY too big for a simple lineart pic. It's also too wide. 700 pixels wide and 50 kb is a normal size, especially for a simple sketch.

Aside from that it looks good so far. The wingtips seem to be out of perspective though, and there are rough lines all over the place. A tighter rendering is in order, plus some more detailing to bring out the perspective in certain places.

gmpilot
04-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Sorry, did this at 2 in the morning, I wasn't thinking.

Frozen HoBo
04-19-2005, 05:37 AM
you could try making it into a starwars goody kinda spaceship thing... as thats what it looks like to me

gmpilot
04-19-2005, 08:25 AM
dfacto: Now answer cuz I have more time...it is so large because that's how I work. I was short on time and wanted to post quickly...and I always work on large boards. I didn't mean to make it such a large file size...unfortunately I was a bit preoccupied at the time with studying for tests so I was trying to get my distraction over with. Anyways...yeah, the wingtips are out, because I changed up the original f-14 drawing. They make sense in perspective if you take into account shape changes I have made to the ends to give it some difference from f-14s. The roughness you refer to I think is from the original lineart (red) or the wacky guides (blue)? The red was quite messy, I agree, that's why I began to redo it on another layer. I plan to cut away at the thick black lines to give it variation etc...it looks rougher than it is, because I wanted to put all three of these on one picture instead of posting three seperate stages. This is definitely a proto drawing...hardly much done here, just wanted to give you guys a quick peek! I will take your advice with the wings, though...I agree they are a bit off. When I get home I will repost a smaller version or something...

Frozen HoBo: I'm not quite sure what a goody kinda spaceship thing is...but I guess thanks, lol. It's is meant to eventually become a valkyrie from macross...but I need more work on it such as the cockpit area and nose that need refining, along with all the other random stuff.

Non Existent IBW
04-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Size it down and the DPI too for web man I cant even view it.

Dragon_Head
04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Awesome detail, can't wait to see more.

bigyellowlegoman
04-19-2005, 12:40 PM
That is looking very cool!

gmpilot
04-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks very much! I am still working on it right now..on and off. Hopefully soon I can get the tablet I want and that will make things a billion times easier. I'll update in an hour or so..

gmpilot
04-19-2005, 08:41 PM
updated version:

I have only finished the left wing, more or less, in its cropping from the thick black lines. I redid the engine booster thingies on the back and some of the finer features of it. I cleaned parts of it up...don't really feel a need for the guide stuff, you can check that at the top if you want. I want to start uncluttering this drawing. Hope this gives you an idea for my plans of continuation.

http://img61.echo.cx/img61/571/f14pen32sd.jpg

This is the old, so you can tell I did SOMETHING to change it, lol.

http://img249.echo.cx/img249/8559/f14pen21mt.jpg

kusi_kishi
04-19-2005, 09:51 PM
sir, it's wonderful. but you should not take my oppinion, for i can not judge mechs as well as the human figure.

gmpilot
04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks very much. I guess right now it's hard to judge as a mech...at least until it becomes more gerwalk-ish. Kusi, I'll go ahead and take it because an artist is an artist!

tda
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
It's well inked and stuff gm, but the pose lacks in my opinion, just looks a tad static and boring from my pov.

gmpilot
04-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I do have a bad habit of making boring poses...but then again I got more to add. The main body is supposed to be a bit static...but we shall see. I'm gonna try cel-shading this one...

Non Existent IBW
04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Are you basing off of the VF-1, VF-0, VF-2SS or VF-5000B? Its known kawamori in fact while the VF-1 WAS influenced by the F-14, it was also influenced by the F-111 and F/A-18. You can see this in the nose and the sharp wing sweep angle. I can't tell what you are drawing over top the tomcat. I saw some of your original sketch, you've got to block in the masses as if they were rectangles...start simple and such this goes for the limbs, they seemed to thin in your sketch. Also to make it more dynamic, cant the lower legs outward for the gerwalk mode, it looks better and this is possible in the anime and in the yamato 1/48 toy as well as the toynami MPC collection VF-1s.

Also you are drawing too muc lines on the tomcat, for example the cockpit frame...not all of it would show from the angle your drawing it.

gmpilot
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Honestly, this has no basis on any of them. I really didn't feel like copying any designs, so I decided to just make my own? Lol..I don't want to copy the anime 100%. I understand what you mean by start simple and build up, and I agree that is good, but on the original f-14 I used a reference photo and drew it ages ago...but I didn't scan it until later so I don't remember what the ref was. When I drew from the reference photo I did take some liberties...but I hope that explains why it thins some. I drew straight from in my inexperience. I know what you mean by having the legs outwards, because that's what I was planning on doing. I want to color this..that's the main reason I'm going through all the efforts I am, and I was hoping to sort of have a "moving out of picture" effect. I realize not all of the lines would show from this angle...but I use a lot of them as guides for placement of the pilot, etc... plus I'm still taking liberties there, and adding stuff that I want. I believe when I thin out the lines more it will make more sense what all those extra lines are, but at the moment they seem to continue the cockpit farther back. Thanks for your comments IBW. I will take them into account as I continue.

gmpilot
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Mkay, the picture is definitely coming along some...I decided to start putting in some details simply because I felt like it. Fie on you. I'm gonna at least start drawing the mecha part lol...tomorrow. I'm lazy today. We shall see what occurs then...here ya go. Spent a good deal of time cleaning up all the lines and some details...this is 50%.

http://img255.echo.cx/img255/5999/f14pen56oy.jpg

moof
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
remember that the closer the object gets, the thicker the lines will be.

gmpilot
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the tip...but I kept the shading as such in the back because of intricacies of details...so you get more depth. In the front I left it sorta blank because I was thinking about coloring this.

gmpilot
04-21-2005, 10:40 AM
no other crits...? anybody...?

gmpilot
04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I apologize for the size...but there wasn't much I could do without cost at the details. I'm probably gonna get flamed for sketchiness of this..but I really spent a good 30-45 minutes doing this over and over because I wanted them to give a dynamic look. It's supposed to eventually look like it's coming towards you down between buildings or something...please crit! I really need advice on making this dynamic...I can't redo the first part without killing myself, so I would like to try to fix this now with the new parts...

http://img180.echo.cx/img180/3462/f14pen510ef.jpg

davidshenoda
04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Wow man that's cool, the bottom doesnt really match the precision of the top with all the sketchy lines but clean those up and you got a bad ass pic. I definitely dig the big robots, thats about all i can stand of all the anime/manga stuff. They do know how ot make some bad ass robots for sure. Did you use a refernce, im guessin yes.

gmpilot
04-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Gah, of course the bottom is sketchy dude, lol...I meant it as a basis for me then going over it and making it as clean as the top. I just did it to get a good idea of dynamacism/shape though...so I could kinda collect my thoughts first. Thanks for the compliment...

Story about references just for david:
if you look at the first page of this thread I drew an f-14 first. That f-14 was drawn from a reference on paper. I scanned that picture..and was gonna keep it as such. I decided to redo a drawing over it...so I began to do that. (red on first page is f-14...blue is just concept stuff, black is inking over) I then decided to make a valkyrie in gerwalk mode for fun...and I just looked up random pictures, but I didn't really find a ref pic for it. I just looked up some pictures for a general idea of shape and placement of parts, then from there I just drew everything from imagination. All the changes from the f-14 picture to this were my own invention because I didn't just wanna copy the tv show models (booooring).

BOTTOM LINE:
My references were just general valkyrie pics just to get an idea for the whole shape...then I drew it from what I imagined under a few constraints which I got from those refs.

Zabur
04-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Heh, I realized that when you fist posted it.

It looks great, I can't wait till I see the finished product.

gmpilot
04-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Ah, thanks Zabur! It's nice to get compliments on art..I'm not one to complain about them, lol.

tda
04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Just workin' off the slight perspective that is goin on in this pic, the bottom of the box is where abouts i'd predict the floor to be. I positioned the legs roughly where i think they'd go IF they were joined at some small hips (but i know they arent) so i'll let you deal with leg placement. As for arms, maybe try pointing the guns into the cam (not directly though) to show uber perspective+foreshortening?

http://www.lod3d.net/upload/tomcatdrawover.jpg

gmpilot
04-22-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks tda...for the effort...but i think you misunderstand the design of the mecha. The way the legs are is that they bend backwards so I am showing some foreshortening on the both the upper and lower portions...that's why they look short. Hopefully that could be fixed when I fix up the lineart. I think I will take your suggestion with the arms though...I never really liked them all that much.

Non Existent IBW
04-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Tilt the wings back more, too much of the top is showing, and extend them as well. They are too short. NOt wide enough. Try not to get too sketchy and make your limbs wider. ITs motly angular

tda
04-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Ah i getcha. Yeah i've never seen any macross, i feel dirty.

Non Existent IBW
04-22-2005, 06:19 AM
tda, look up VF-1 gerwalk mode. You'll see..

Frozen HoBo
04-22-2005, 07:37 AM
heres a crit.. put a minigun on it =]

gmpilot
04-22-2005, 08:41 AM
exactly my thoughts hobo..w00t. I wanna get these legs done so I can focus on weaponry and battle damage...mwahahaha. And destroyed buildings too. And dead people. Or mechs.

kusi_kishi
04-22-2005, 07:42 PM
all i can say is it is very good. i don't know anything about mechs, so i'll just go now.

gmpilot
04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Lol, well, thanks Kusi, seems like most of the people on pk only know living things. Here;s an update...I dunno...I kinda cheated on the legs...but it will be made more different...but it's a start on them. I feel like they make a bit of sense...I kinda wanted it to look like it was thrusting down with boosters, so the feet would be tilted forward to keep it balanced. I also changed up the nose because the f-14 one looked strangely bulbous to me...plus it kinda saved me some other wing troubles because they seem to fit better now. Anyways...enjoy.

*edit* I know the legs are nothing like the actual valkyrie ones...but those irritate me, and now is my chance to do it MY way.
http://img248.echo.cx/img248/6641/f14pen69qn.jpg

gmpilot
04-23-2005, 01:31 PM
no comments...? Am I gonna have to update blindly?

maroonlagoon3
04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Ummm.... I suck at mechs and so I'd really give some good C&C if I had any... but I don't. All I know is that it looks pretty kickass so far. ^_^

gmpilot
04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks man! Good to hear happy comments...nothing to complain about!

dfacto
04-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd say there is too much of the feet showing at the moment. Gerwalk mode generally doesn't let the feet extend fully, and from the ammount showing here, it seems that they basically are fully extended. Just something to think about. ALso, the feet totally do not match the plane. They looks very... trashed. I think a more traditional design would go over better.

I also don't like the new nose. It looks too flat in the front, wheras airplanes have pointed noses to reduce drag.

TaeSeong
04-23-2005, 03:40 PM
um...I think gmpilot traces that over into a nicer version, and is just getting the basic idea, though i could have interpreted your post in the wrong way..... ^^;;

gmpilot
04-23-2005, 06:52 PM
okay, that was actually something I was wondering about...I couldn't get the traditional gerwalk feet right...so I sorta gimped on them. On top of that, I never really like gerwalk feet anways, lol...they always bothered me. I have been spoiled by gundam. Yeah, I kinda agree abou the trashed part, I was planning on maybe toning them down to a more simple clean design...they do look a bit weird. Going back to the feet, I just want to mention that I was going for the angled up feet as though boosting to keep balance, like it's slowing down by thrusting forward also...make sense? I dunno...

On the nose part I sorta agree. I had a hard time getting them right since I have no straight reference I am going off of...but I think I am gonna lengthen it at a more tapering point; right now it looks like a space shuttle, lol.

Oh, and yeah, I dunno if knew, as TaeSeong sad, that I'm gonna go over the feet and clean it up as much as the upper portion. Thank you so much for yours crits...definitely helped a lot!

Non Existent IBW
04-24-2005, 01:48 PM
The front of the feet should be angled out more than the back. Remember in gerwalk, the thigh goes back, the lower leg goes forward, and in general the feet match the angle of the lower leg.

BTW I hope that is not what you are adding just yet because it looks to sketchty..try to match it with the good lines you already have. And BTW I am a huge macross nut and have a bunch of the toys n models and study the reference sheets and line arts for fun. And a big aviation nut to begin with. lemme know if you need more help on this kind of stuff.

gmpilot
04-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I agree about the angling of the feet, I think I will follow as you said...think back that does make more sense. A lot of the models I looked up online for some reason had pretty straight forward feet..that was weird. Just to let you know, of COURSE those are not the feet I'm going to keep, lol..they are so nasty and sketchy and too busy and don't fit with the style. I'm gonna clean 'em up and make them more technically plausible. Thanks for the help...I spent most of last night fixing up the actual body more to my liking, and today I'm gonna get the legs started.

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/5023/f14pen624iv.jpg

Non Existent IBW
04-24-2005, 06:27 PM
you might want to go to macrossworld.com Check their magazine scans for hobby dengeki and hobby japan. Hell even their toy section and the yamato VF-1 1/48 toys. The model magazines will all show the accurate gerwalk leg arrangements. IF not I can take a pic later on or draw something real quick. I cant guarantee it thjough since finals are coming up and im busy as hell/

cheshirecat
04-24-2005, 06:53 PM
looks freakin awesome to me but i aint no good at drawin on the computer so i dont know wuts up with the legs...

gmpilot
04-24-2005, 06:56 PM
ah, thanks a bunch. The legs I'm not so worried about..I'll straighten them out. It won't be no biggie.

Cativo
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
No crittique yet(I'll wait till your done, jk), you are doing a great job!

gmpilot
04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks man! I love taking on these large scale ambitious projects (ambitious for me, that is) and seeing what I can do with them. Hopefully I can finish the legs tonight...I'm getting closer. Then arms...and finally the most fun part...DETAILS! Plus b/g etc crap if I feel more ambitious.

gmpilot
04-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Okay, hope you enjoy this. I know the legs are quite angled outwards but that's because my eventual goal is to have it "hovering/balancing." Or something of the sort...like stopping after a quick boost. Crits loved because I can change them if asked...seriously.

http://img256.echo.cx/img256/1581/f14pen631po.jpg

bathala_rubbz
04-25-2005, 06:25 AM
dude,,, all i can say is 'WOW!!!' and all praises for the efforts. i like it. can't really give anything since i haven't tried mech/plane or related stuffs designing...yet.
i'll just look forward to see progress as you move on and till the work is DONE. that's all.

gmpilot
04-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks very much man! Yeah, I am taking my time on this, slowly working through, we will see what happens though...mechs are easy, you just need to be creative and think logically.

bathala_rubbz
04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
i might as well try to draw mech someday, but not for now...got lots of other stuffs to attend to.

tda
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I feel so bad posting this, but he looks like he's toppling forwards and his legs are buckling outwards from underneath him D=, at least that's what i see. The legs just don't gel with the body for me.

gmpilot
04-25-2005, 10:51 AM
It's alright, I understand your confusion. See, what I'm trying to portray is that it's trying to stop quickly after a long skid/thrust...so it pushes forward with the thrusters that are in its feet, and yet the cockpit moves forward because of simple momentum. It will make sense once I draw more in such as a background or at least a horizon plane and some other effects...to show what I mean. It's supposed to be like he stopping, thrusters slowing him, then looking around for perhaps enemies or such..

tda
04-25-2005, 11:25 AM
ah i see what you mean. i hope you pull it off ok

Non Existent IBW
04-25-2005, 01:13 PM
If it is a sudden brraking procedure, you want less of the front of the feet showing and more of the heel out. Also you might either want the VF-1 airbrake behind the cockpit popped up or the F-14 pancake airbrake towards the back near the beaver tail popped up.

gmpilot
04-25-2005, 01:50 PM
hmm..I can't seem to find a picture of the vf-1 airbrake, any chance you could help me out here ibw?

Non Existent IBW
04-25-2005, 02:23 PM
in macrossworld.com go to the model kit section and look for the hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 fighter mode kit scans. It is directly behind the cockpit.

gmpilot
04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
alright, thanks man, you rock

OniCloud
04-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Only thing bugging me is some lines look to be out of place

Like those curves on the nose of the jet, look out of place to me :S

gmpilot
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah, I did them for my sake so that they define form. I like to think of my drawings as not just flat when I draw them, it helps me define details later on for curves and such...so they are guides for me. I will get rid of them later when I work on light sources and things like that...plus any other stuff.