PDA

View Full Version : Super Duper Newb Digital Painting!

Krieock
04-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, here 'tis... Little Krieock's very first digital painting :)
I just started it a little while ago, but I thought I'd show the WIP version, so digital painters with actual talent (i.e. ColdKodiak) can tell me how badly I'm flucking this piece up :)
I've never worked with acrylics, watercolours, or oil paints. But I've always been interested in painting, any tips or tricks of the trizzy would be nice.

This is like... on a different planet, so the orb of light most likely isn't the Sun or Luna... But I didn't think this piece out, i just started throughing shyt together :/

http://img244.echo.cx/img244/2147/wip15wz.jpg

bathala_rubbz
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
uhmm i'm seeing some round-ish thingies on the left page...is it just me or others see them too.^^

Azmodeus
04-26-2005, 10:10 PM
digital painting? well . . . i like the first two images.

VERY DARK. The first is a sky with breaks in it and I like the lightening a bunch. I'm not to sure of the third, it looks like a volcano or a fire of some sort.

. . . wait, wait It's like a scene. Something from "The Day After Tommorrow"
Now I like it like 50 times over. Except maybe those dots on the left side of the screen.

I'm not sure if you said what program you used for this digital painting, if it's photoshop try using the "outer glow" effect on the lighting. I dont know. . . just and optional opinion.

Hopefully I'm right and not making an ass . . . sry butt hole out of myself.

Good luck in future project, and welcome to digital art world.

Dresden Codak
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
The dots are there for color reference. I'm guessing you used some incarnation of Painter?

In any case, it looks good. Very realistic weather effects with a lot of subtle power. Also, don't be tempted by the quick and easy path of layer effects and gradients, my padawan. They're evil, I tells ya!

Battousai
04-27-2005, 06:49 AM
i'm not experienced with 3d art but the clouds look amazing man...the lava and fire is my only crit. looks bland and unreal.

Krieock
04-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks alot all.
Bathala - not sure what you mean by you're ONLY seeing the spots of colour (for reference, like Dresden said, since this IS a VERY early wip) Try scrolling over a bit to see the whole thing.
Azmodeus - Yep, it's supposed to be a scene, maybe a BG for a piece of art :) thanks alot. I used PhotoShop7 :)
Dresden - very good advice :) I didn't use any layers for this, actually (I know I prolly should have used 1 or 3 for specific spots) all i have is the dark blue bg and layer 2 for everything else.
Battousai - this isn't 3 deminisional, it's just flat with shadding :) Yeah - the lava does look stupid, but like I said - this is a EARLY wip, so I'll probably get rid of it :)

Sparet odinman
04-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Hey man..
this is very cool, shows potencial.. i like the clouds and the lightning very nice job.. but i do agree with everyone esle the fire needs work. Overall nice start i hope i get to see the final draft. im thinking its gonna be sweet.
Keep it up

------------------------------------------
"Religion is the opiate for the masses." ~Carl Marks
www.myspace.com <---- go here and search for Uni-Bomber (its me)

OniCloud
04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
what do you mean by noob? This is better than probably any attempt I can make. It just looks unfinished and needs more colors and detail. But yeah I couldn't really come close to what you got lol

Krieock
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Like I said before, this is the very first steps in this Work in Progress... and I'm a total newbzor >.< but thanks for the nice crit :)

LLPerks
04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Krieock,

Interesting work. As a painter in the physical world, I can say with some certainty that your attempts are valid and show promise for growth. I can see this being a cool background for something slightly more interesting. Lets face it, a pit of fire, a thunderastorm, divine rays of light. I've seen these before man! Cliche'! But don't distress, flex that noodle of yours a little more and I have every confidense that you are capable of coming up with something slightly more interesting.

Ciao!
LLPerks

tiyo konching
04-29-2005, 06:31 AM
all i can say is..VIVA!!! nice job manhttp://polykarbonbbs.com/images/smilies/thumbsup2.gifhttp://polykarbonbbs.com/images/smilies/banana2.gifhttp://polykarbonbbs.com/images/smilies/banana2.gifhttp://polykarbonbbs.com/images/smilies/banana2.gifi like it alot^^

tiyo konching
04-29-2005, 06:34 AM
bathala_rubbz stig avatar mo ah^^

Krieock
04-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Krieock,

Interesting work. As a painter in the physical world, I can say with some certainty that your attempts are valid and show promise for growth. I can see this being a cool background for something slightly more interesting. Lets face it, a pit of fire, a thunderastorm, divine rays of light. I've seen these before man! Cliche'! But don't distress, flex that noodle of yours a little more and I have every confidense that you are capable of coming up with something slightly more interesting.

Ciao!
LLPerks

I like that post ^^ Thanks alot LLPerks - it's very cliche :) but I always wanted to paint something like it, and now that I have a wacom I can sort of make an attempt at it :)

Multas(latin) Gracias(spanish)(lol - don't know why) Tiyo, your comments warm my cold dead heart :) (not really... only the Souls of the Damned, burning in the Furnus of Osiris can hope to breathe vitality back into me... lol, j/p - and i'm not a poet, I know it, I just wanted to show it....)

akaast
04-29-2005, 10:03 AM
I hoped that I would see some REALLY crappy drawing that I could critise .. but then I saw that Kriecock was the topic-creator so I knew it couldn't be THAT bad .. and I was right ;)