PDA

View Full Version : Contortionist

littleguy468
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17890112/

This is a contortionist. I really wish I had saved the reference so I could show that too. As it says on deviantart this is a terrible scan. It was barely good enough to post. I like the real picture though, and is has a fair amount more detail than this does.

davidshenoda
05-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know maybe it's just the pose but she kinda looks like she has a you know...Maybe its just the pose. Either way I like it. It could use some more dramatic lighting to make it "jump off the page". Did you use a reference?

littleguy468
05-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Yes I used a ref pic, and, saddly, there really is shading, it just got messed up in the scan.

O yea, I'm pretty sure that the crotch would stick out a tad in this sort of pose.
Thanks

satanicpanic
05-07-2005, 01:44 PM
ooo that looks like it hurts but its still an interesting pose
.\o/
__l__ ow the splits

vcat2k
05-07-2005, 07:58 PM
If it is suppose to look exactly like what you saw, then it looks to me like her eyes are too big. It looks pretty good though. I guess the only thing is that it is hard to see the pic.

gmpilot
05-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I really don't think a woman could be balanced like that..

Papercut285
05-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah i totally agree with gmpilot. The way shes positioned now would have her falling to the left in no time. It would be more realistic if you had her do a one handed handstand on the dudes raised arm so that way she can still hold her leg in a split. All in all good drawing. Id totally like to see this piece finished.

littleguy468
05-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I'll try to get a clearer scan.

O Yea... the pose is real, they actually are in this pose in the picture

gmpilot
05-08-2005, 02:33 PM
show me the picture, because I really think you must have skewed the perspec or something...I would stake $50 on that.

littleguy468
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/gerrylab9/pics/lagolce.jpg

there you go... The reference.

And the picture should be a little bit easier to see as well... I still hate the scan.

gzus
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
The pose can exist, but not the way you put it. The reason it looks unbalanced is that you're missing the underlying rhythm of the two figures, which seems like a nebulous concept, but really isn't. Each figure has a really defined arc to it, which could both simplify the drawing and also help your balance issues. I think I'm going to do a quick study of that picture to show you what I mean, and then I will post it.

Edit: Quick study has been done.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/18189619/

Do you see what I mean? You can define their entire movement with a single curve, and build things off of that. Your rendering shows promise, but I think you're trying to read too much into the shadows, which is especially different working from a photo, because photos pick up shadows very poorly. You can get lights very well from photo refs, but shadows you have to keep crazy simple, so really, you have to keep the drawing very simple. A single area of tone with maybe a core in it would have taken care of your whole shadow side, and then the light side can be put down with a few well-placed strokes. This was a really quick job, so don't look at it too hard, but you can see that on the man's left side, I've defined that whole angle with a really really simple tone, and it reads just fine.

Mainly, I'd advise you to start simple and build from there.

!!R

littleguy468
05-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the advise I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Papercut285
05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Ooooh... i see. Also... don't forget to draw his other hand holding her foot... for without it there is no balance.