PDA

View Full Version : Character sketch for Brans comic(updated)

ally
05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
rip it to shreads please. I need real helpful comments, I realize it's grainy I'm really sorry. :(

My aim is for more realistic style. So help with muscle structure would be greatly apprieciated. But I'll take anything you can give me. :)

He's going to gut you! (http://www.deviantart.com/view/18207420/)

http://www.geocities.com/sifally/hatchet2.txt

thanks i thought the thumb looked weird. ill fix that and the abs and i need more crits before i got to ink it or anything so pleaseplease if you guys notice something let me know.

twstdelf
05-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Looks pretty good... may want to add some more definition around the key musclues in the arm and stomach areas... since he looks like he's thin, I think there should be more definition of his ribcage/individual ribs ... don't know if you plan to color it, but you could probably do the above with shading. Form looks pretty good... think I would make the hair more "whispy" (less spikey) if you're aiming for a "realistic" feel. Not sure about his left arm going behind his back... make it look like he's hiding something... erm, yea, those are my only suggestions at the moment... looks good over all though, look forward to seeing updates. :)

FigureFour
05-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I see he is (very very very loosely) based on Bran.

I also see you made a note about our conversation in the top left of the picture.

I know I'm not being helpful, but that's because I think you've got it.

Shikakapoop
05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
All these balled fists and hidden hands! People should be more confident in drawing hands, you'll have to do it some time or another. I probably wouldn't like the girl I do now if she had no hands......in fact I wouldn't even talk to her. In fact I'd hit her just a couple of times. You know, just so she knows what she did.

ally
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
...wtf you automatically assume im just dick at drawing hands? the arm is hidden because its obvious blocked by his body, his fist is balled because hes holding a knife.

and as far as i know youve NEVER seen my art before.

so how about giving someone a litle bit of slack before you call them a shit artist okay?
i also notice you didnt give ANY advice what so ever.

http://tyenadria.deviantart.com/gallery/ thats my gallery youll find im not afraid to draw hands. and im HIGLY ****ing offended.

Not to mention the fact that you admit to wanting to ABUSE WOMEN. and not jsut women, but women who are disabled. you're a real tough guy.

thanks for the comments other ppl :3 im trying to wait for more to come in before i make any more in depth replies that last post jsut burned me3 the **** up.

Oddnez
05-11-2005, 04:21 PM
he looks like he can kick some major butt :DD yayyy gooo alllyyyyy
i want to lick him :O
i really do love his hair

ally
05-11-2005, 04:22 PM
oddy hi! :D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D Thanks for looking at my piccyture ^o^

ally
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
twstdelf: I'm trying to make him really muscely and strong. If he looks so thin that I have to beef him up in order for his ripbs to not show I'll do that but do you thinkthey would still show if I did that and tried to keep him beanpoley?

What i mean is the character by nature is thin and tall but extremely strong.

Non Existent IBW
05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I think the chest sholuld pop out a lil more...its too flat...if hes supposed to be muscular and such it should pop a bit more....and I think you should extend the wrist on the lower right arm and maybe make the hand a teeny bit smaller.

emmapeel
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
i agree that the chest should be more muscular. his arms are pretty beefy so the chest should be a little bigger to match or the arms should be slimmed down a bit.

the lower arm needs to be lengthened. and i'm assuming this is unfinished and that's why we can't see the rest of the far arm.

his collarbone also seems to be off. the distance from the tip of the collarbone to the shoulder doesn't seem to be the same on both sides of the figure. i think the right side (page left) is okay, but the left side (page right) should be a little closer to the shoulder joint.

the pecs seem to tilt at an angle that doesn't quite match the shoulders.

other than that it looks fine. though the hair is not yet very realistic. maybe more/smaller chunks will help it look not quite so manga.

e.p.

ally
05-11-2005, 09:02 PM
ah sexcillent remarks, i was wondering about the arm. will update tomorrow :D

Shikakapoop
05-11-2005, 09:45 PM
...wtf you automatically assume im just dick at drawing hands? the arm is hidden because its obvious blocked by his body, his fist is balled because hes holding a knife.

and as far as i know youve NEVER seen my art before.

so how about giving someone a litle bit of slack before you call them a shit artist okay?
i also notice you didnt give ANY advice what so ever.

http://tyenadria.deviantart.com/gallery/ thats my gallery youll find im not afraid to draw hands. and im HIGLY ****ing offended.

Not to mention the fact that you admit to wanting to ABUSE WOMEN. and not jsut women, but women who are disabled. you're a real tough guy.

thanks for the comments other ppl :3 im trying to wait for more to come in before i make any more in depth replies that last post jsut burned me3 the **** up.

Touche.

Sorry, totally not what I intended. Didn't mean to offend you.
The abusing women thing was a joke, I never said u were a sh*t artist.
Lighten up a little, I don't understand how you took my few sentences that harshly when nothing in there was intended to be harsh.

Disabled women. good one.

ally
05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
well since you contributed absolutely NOTHING and i took on a serious project and posted here to get REAL crits because i CARE what my art looks like and im not just here to showcase my shit because i could do that on deviantart i was a little, actually a lot, miffed.

Im pretty light hearted, i just have low tollerance for ppl who go to a forum with a specific purpose and spam the shit out of it. Not to mention a zero tollerance rule for baseless accusations. Seriously, it was insulting that you'de think i'de even TRY to take on a full length comic project not knowing how to do something as mandatory as drawing a hand. Maybe I should get used to people not thinking about those kinds of things. Everyone assumes everyone else is a moron and I really hate that.

Anyway if you had added any kind of critisism at all I wouldn't have exploded. Seriously wtf did you think i was going to take form your comment?

anyway i gave him a boob job and shortened up the bicept to make room to lengthen his forearm. Ill let you guys decide if it looks okay in the morning. I also fixed the hair and did something a little less boring with his other arm. I think i worked on his 6 pack but the scan is so shitty i cant tell the difference.

i think the problem with the scanner is i resized it before i compressed it. So im going to do that in reverse and see what happens hopefully you guys will be able to see the difference.

The Bran Eating Zombie
05-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Usually people put the updated one in the first post, but I like the improvements.

Dendrobium_Zero
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
The abs should connect to where his ribcage kinda ends. Also on the hand holding the axe, the middle finger lookds kinda weird because the line for the meaty part of the thumb kinda lumps over it. The middle finger should be moved in front of that line.

ally
05-13-2005, 09:34 AM
ninja tofu(lol): About the abs, i figured i should conenct them to the ribcage but they looked liek they would be too big, im thinking maybe the stomach is too long. im goign to try shortening it a bit and taking yoru advice on connecting them to the ribcage

will fix the hand also :3

twstdelf
05-13-2005, 09:41 AM
looks good, I like the adjustments...
I think his left hand (axe-hand) looks a little awkward... maybe should be a tighter fist - as if he's clutching the handle with force/rage... maybe even add a few veins around his hands, forearms and shoulders (don't over do it though, just a hint / shadow of them I think would be cool). ...something about the back of his head is bothering me... looks too "shallow", but it may just be the hair cut ... not sure about that one (?) Keep it up, looking forward to further updates. :)

FigureFour
05-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I think his titties still need some work, but it's comming along nicely.

akical
05-13-2005, 03:24 PM
about shikaka's post above ..

well i've looked at your art,

as far as i can see, you've drawn two or three that were not in a balled fist or hidden position, and the other "open" hands i've seen so far are highly stylized

so don't go all explosive about how you're soooo offended he commented about the hands

cuz he's prolly right,

but then again just about everyone cud use practise drawing hands =)

The Bran Eating Zombie
05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
He's supposed to be holding weapons. He's a psychotic serial killer. You can't hold things unless the fist is balled up.

ally
05-13-2005, 05:06 PM
as far as i can see, you've drawn two or three that were not in a balled fist or hidden position, and the other "open" hands i've seen so far are highly stylized

so don't go all explosive about how you're soooo offended he commented about the hands

cuz he's prolly right,

I'll thank you not to say what I can and can't be offended by. I mean wtf you guys aren't even adding criticisms. Thats the most offensive part.

Also stylized or not I've never been afraid to draw them and my gallery reflects that. That was the point of posting the link, not saying I'm the greatest artist in the world as you seem to think. It's pretty obvious that I'm trying a new style. Thats what I need crits on.

oolong
05-13-2005, 07:20 PM
pretty sweet, if you could adjust the contrast a little so it would be easier to see that would be cool. i noticed this on your DA gallery. i like it a lot. it's apparent that you spent some time working on the realism and stuff on it. there are a few little things that could be fixed that have mostly been mentioned.

i thought it was bran at first too :P

mindlessepico
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
i'd have to agree with the axe fist, the fingers like the middle and index look a bit flat.

and his adam's apple looks weird to me, might just be me. other than that i love how the progress on your piece is going. wish my abs were ripping like those.