PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie, finally getting back to it...posting leg getting soon fixed. Please crit!

gmpilot
05-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Okay, Valkyrie..I had a large set of updates on some old thread I used...and this is a newer one I just decided to open now. The leg is NOT going to be posted with that scribblyness (a lot of people kept thinking I was with my original scribbles). Anyways, I'm trying to vary the stance a bit, since straight forward legs is a bit awkward...and I wanted very slightly more dynamic. I realize that's hard with a cockpit facing straight at you, but it's a slightly top view with braking maneuver, hence titled up feet...and when I add the arms etc it will hopefully be a little more "active."

Okay, point of this post:
I want crits on whether you think there are any major flaws in the basic design of the new leg versus the other one. (I suck at drawing two perspecs of same thing that is so curvy/detailed)

http://img79.echo.cx/img79/6761/f14pen718jx.jpg

bathala_rubbz
05-11-2005, 06:42 PM
the right leg[the unfinished--in progress] seems fine...but i dun't know about the left one. sorry man..if i wre good at drawing mech i cuold've at least help you out with this.
right now all i can give are 'GOOD praises for the job well DONE'

hmm..mouse? is it in PS too? just asking..^^

gmpilot
05-11-2005, 06:52 PM
yeah, ps, mouse...I gotta refine some joints of the "finished" leg because it's a bit awkwardly bent...but I'm getting there. But thanks.

bathala_rubbz
05-11-2005, 06:56 PM
hehey no prob. gm are you using the vector side in PS? like pen, etc..or how did you really do it? brush? pencil?..what?..

gmpilot
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I did a pencil drawing first of an f-14 first then inked quickly with a repidograph pen to bring out specific key lines, scanned at a good high resolution (the ps file right now is over 40 megs).

I then use a new layer and go over the whole drawing and all its lines with a thick ps brush. Quite thick...like 5-10 pixels. Not completely hard, so it has some soft edges. I do that on a layer with NO WHITE IN THE BACKGROUND. (key point) Never use white for erasing, just use the Eraser tool, then you can add a background later if you want.

From there I use the eraser tool and "etch" out the details and curves and line thickness at very high zoom to get good details and to be able to create varying thickness etc. From there, I go through the whole drawing.

For the new parts I added I first created a new layer and with the mouse quickly sketched a basic form, then I use another layer and go over it like previously stated. I then begin cutting away, etc.

Finally, I reduce the image down so all the small blemishes disappear and smooth clear details prevail and such. (This one I reduce to 50%)

Should I make a tutorial when this drawing is done with the steps I have done? I have pics of them.

bathala_rubbz
05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
i see....coz i thought you did this whole thing with a mouse in ps like the prevois works on your recent threads.

well yeah! go for it! make a tutorial that is if you have some time to sapre...i do get what you try to say and i GOT YOUR IDEA..thnks man.

gmpilot
05-11-2005, 07:28 PM
lol, but there isn't really much of an f-14 left on this drawing. I really ended up doing it by hand, there is very little left of the original drawing, I can show you if you want. I stopped using it as a reference after I got the original thick lines done. Then I just went haywire with the mouse and had fun like I did with the legs.

See? Really changed quite a bit...and there is more to come, lol.

http://img243.echo.cx/img243/6606/f14pen1copy4uu.jpg

Natezero
05-11-2005, 07:47 PM
reminds me of the "tornado 2" from Sonic X
yea somethin doesnt look right with the finished leg
good mouse work

FLAME KING2341
05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
ok i cant say a darn thing about this line art its great ur good at drawing machines