Polykarbon Art Forum

Polykarbon Art Forum (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/index.php)
-   2011 LEGO Illustration (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Summer Contest! (http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=27003)

darkreaver 07-09-2011 10:38 PM

Summer Contest!

Contest? Contest.

if you don't like any of them, feel free to suggest an alternative. if other people like that enough, that may well be the theme.

voting will be for a week.

idea 1: illustration based on LEGO models: generate a stylized or realistic interpretation of buildings and vehicles that exist as LEGO models. Example:
Spoiler:

(art by adam duncan)

idea 2: Video game character/class set (adapted from Dr. Zoinksman): multiplayer games like Team Fortress 2 and League of legends feature numerous characters. The goal would be to design about 3 characters (perhaps redesign, given existing characters) to be stylistically consistent and original. might consider this for a collab contest...less work individually, but harder to be stylistically consistent ;D

idea 3: sayings/idioms (adapted from just-gary): illustrate a saying, either literally or metaphorically. some examples of idioms at the bottom of the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengyu
*edit* the theme is expanded so it's not limited to Chinese chengyu.

idea 4: optical illusion (adapted from GlassBomb): one of those images that are like, double images? Maybe generalized to any kind of optical illusion, e.g. escher-esque works, more abstract stuff would be fair game as well.
Spoiler:

Reminder: got more ideas? Plonk 'em here:
http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=24540

Prizes:
???

billiegene 07-09-2011 11:03 PM

Those are some great ideas, well done to all who came up with them!

tidalforge 07-10-2011 02:14 AM

I'm good with 1 and 2, and I'm especially hyped for 3 (since I'm chinese, which means I get an unfair advantage as far as getting 成语 goes)

Wherein lies the problem, we'll need someone to provide a list of available 成语 to use, since you can fill entire dictionaries with the number of them.

Also, I think for added challenge, for 1 we could build our own customs to draw off.

EDIT: Looking at the poll results though, guess no one wants it.

astrapho 07-10-2011 02:36 AM

I kinda want the chinese sayings one too. They tend to be very visual, some are really quite goofy. :D What was that, "hua she tian zu", literal translation "draw snake add legs", is a story about these painters having a contest to see who can paint a snake the fastest. This guy finished so fast he had time to spare, so he drew additional legs on his snake, but ended up losing because a snake with legs is no snake! Probably means, keep it simple stupid, overworking is bad. Funny stuff like that.

But then I'm biased, I'm chinese too. xD

Lamb 07-10-2011 02:57 AM

"A Snake doesn't have a shoulder" ... I think I would be in a disadvantage. The best interpretation arises from constant confrontation with the culture, which I'm missing. I feel like I wouldn't be able to come up with something really valuable, that goes beyond an intersemiotic translation. Why not make it a saying in general? I bet there are dozens of Slav sayings that you would enjoy (and kras would certainly agree).

Also I voted for the Game character design. Anyone who'd like to do it in a collab with me, I'd be just glad. But I can imagine doing this on my own too. I think this is a very good contest that could last for portfolio purposes, so would actually have a bit more meaning.

darkreaver 07-10-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tidalforge
EDIT: Looking at the poll results though, guess no one wants it.

it's only been a day. the vote could go anywhere =D

Quote:

Originally Posted by r@nd0m-lamb (Post 406304)
Why not make it a saying in general? I bet there are dozens of Slav sayings that you would enjoy (and kras would certainly agree).

I think that's a good point...I think sayings in general is reasonable. as long as they're real. The participant will have burden of proof to show that the saying they use is not something they made up though...

also lol kras.

Red Hot Hoshi 07-10-2011 07:51 AM

I'd definitely also like the sayings. I think my Japanese heritage makes me just as biased as Tidal and Ast though. The Video Game characters or the Lego one would be fine as well.

Phl 07-10-2011 08:05 AM

I would be up for the videogame characters and the lego one. Funny stuff :D.

I actually am pretty enthusiatic about doing a contest right now, where does that come from? :P

HiddenTruth 07-10-2011 08:13 AM

If it ends up being the game characters deal, I may just attempt it. Haven't ever posted my artwork up here, but it'd be worth a try.

Dr. Zoinksman 07-10-2011 08:17 AM

The only way I see the game character one becoming a collab really is one person does the line work and someone who's awesome at coloring color the piece and this gives you a full design. I'm sure there might be other ways to make it a collab and I wouldn't mind it being one if it comes to that. But you're also right that makes it hard to be consistent when more than one person works on the same thing. Communication will have to be key. I was torn between that and the sayings one. I agree if we do the sayings it should just be sayings in general from any culture. ANd yes you should prove it's real. However I'm biased to my own idea so of course I voted for the game character. But either of those two I'm looking forward too.

chr0ma 07-12-2011 01:10 PM

I voted for the lego one because I haven't attempted a building or a vehicle for ages. In fact, I don't recall when I ever drew one as the main focus of a picture. They require lots of straight lines, which for me is complicated and frustrating :D Though any of the contest themes would be fine for me. I could go to town with the game character one, especially, and have fun shopping around for clothes references.

Manamaraya 07-12-2011 08:08 PM

Character designing?? Oh boy oh boy!
I wonder what option my vote went to!

Billov 07-13-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrapho (Post 406303)
What was that, "hua she tian zu", literal translation "draw snake add legs", is a story about these painters having a contest to see who can paint a snake the fastest. This guy finished so fast he had time to spare, so he drew additional legs on his snake, but ended up losing because a snake with legs is no snake! Probably means, keep it simple stupid, overworking is bad. Funny stuff like that.

HAHAHAHA YESSS I remember that story from when I was small. My mom used to read me these chinese folklore stories. That story perplexed me... it seems so redundant, but gets its point across.

I guess I'd pick 2 or 3. But I'll wait for a few days before voting. I'd like to put some work into this, haven't been posting here much, but still check up on things quite often.

Faliat 07-14-2011 09:39 PM

I like the video game character classes thing. Would be beneficial for my portfolio. I need to build up my art skills and productivity before getting back into persuing games as a career.

Meatloaf 07-15-2011 06:14 AM

Just tied it up. LEGO FOR LIFE!

muzz 07-15-2011 10:39 PM

Optical illusions gets my vote... even if it is unpopular.

darkreaver 07-16-2011 05:07 AM

muzz: don't stop believin' ;_;

muzz 07-16-2011 10:10 PM

Would anyone complain if 20 "spambots" decided to vote for an option :D?

Alucard1515 07-16-2011 10:14 PM

I vote for "what is the real entertainment."

meerkat 07-16-2011 11:34 PM

Alucard has turned into a bot!