Thread: Results
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
oolong
Agador Spartacus

Send a message via AIM to oolong Send a message via MSN to oolong

I'm posting my own impressions, C&C and rating about each of the pictures as well. The first three listed are my top 3, and the others are listed in order of submission.

A lot of good entries this year! It was tough narrowing it down to 3. About 5 or 6 in particular were very close. I'm ranking them based on artistic merit (compared more to other work of yours that i've seen rather than compared to everyone else's) and relevance to the topic (christmas). Originality was used as a tie breaker.

#1 - ChrisHerself
Wow! When I first saw this piece I knew it was going to be close to the top. the composition is very nice (reminds me of the kind of paintings some nuclear family in suburbia would put up for christmas) and there are nice, well colored details in the piece such as the spotted Appaloosa pattern on the horse and the fog coming from their noses give it a nice ambience. The only thing that could have made it beter was to spend a little more time on the background - as it is, it seems rushed and bloppy, particularly the forest of trees behind the cottage. Keep up the good work Chris.
Artistic Merit: 8
Relevance: 10

#2 - falmith
Finally someone with daring lighting! I absolutely love the composition and the atmosphere of this piece. It's heartwrenching. Only thing i can crit is you should add more detail to the background, even if it's a bit hazy, it just looks very plain right now. More experimental colors would be nice too.

#3 - toetread
The first entry and a goodie. It made me smirk when I read it which is more than I can say for a lot of cartoons. The style is simple, but it's all very well done. And of course nothing is more Christmas related than Santa and his reindeer (**** baby jesus.) There's nothing really WRONG with it per se, but i think you could have been a little more daring art wise. Challenge yourself a little bit more.

lazyslaker -
Yours is cute! The subject matter is certainly christmas oriented as well, but i think it could have used a little more polishing. Your character coloring is very simple, and that's ok, but there needs to be a balance, meaning more detailed lineart and background. Your lineart is a bit plain and the background just looks like it was scribbled on as an after thought. Also her expression is a bit too "help someone just shoved a snowman up my butt", which is thematic but odd.
Artistic Merit: 7
Relevance: 9

mofo09 -
While most people are inside in the warm, eating cookies and enjoying their slut skanky babes that santa brought them for Christmas, this boy tells a different story. This is a good way of showing a Christmas that most people might not think of. The atmosphere of it is really good, it's gritty and cold and truly shows the hardship of spending the holidays alone on the street. Also, it's the first picture I've seen of yours with a background, good job on working at making your pictures more complete. There are some perspective issues, but nothing horrifying. Nice work and almost made it to the top 3.

Snowfox -
The lineart is adorable, and it's obvious you spent time thinking about how to connect it to christmas (reindeer anthro - cute!). Unfortunately, the coloring and background aren't up to par with your previous work (you mentioned in irc that you have a tough time coloring, but i've seen pieces of yours in the past that have been done effectively.) The background is also fairly simplistic and doesn't show much depth at all. A good effort but it could have been executed better.

Jats -
A pretty good effort, but there are flaws. The light source doesn't seem to be very defined, it seems like the moon would be giving off a lot of light but instead your girls are just kind of shaded haphazardly. The coloring all over is fairly ineffective. It conveys depth, but very little texture and form. The girl's faces are all sort of blank and boring, and could have been done better as well. Frankly, I think the best part of it is the view outside from the window.
Relevance: 8

Chastain -
Not so hot. The lineart's fine, albeit very simple anime generic girl, and the coloring's simple. But as was discussed in the "EEK BOOBS" thread, I fail to see how this connects with Christmas. I think you should be more experimental not just in your subject matter choice but in your lines and your coloring. Cel shading isn't the only technique out there.
Relevance: 6

emmapeel (mother and child) -
It looks like you were trying to go for some kind of combination of Rennaissance and Art Deco, and it ended up stylish but entirely lacking substance. In fact, i'm not really sure whether it's stylish or just kind of ugly. I commend you for your efforts, but it's too minimal and confusing.
Artistic Merit: ?

pigeonkill -
I would have liked to seen you draw 1 really good picture, instead of 10 mediocre pictures and a crappy poem. It's not even that they're badly done, they're just exceedingly simple and the style changes drastically (several of the pages have cartoony, dark black lines and the others are digitally painted in a more realistic way - not consistent). It tells a story, sure, but the story doesn't even make sense, so you're out of luck that way too.
Artistic Merit: 6

emmapeel (beefcake) -
The best part of this picture is 'North Pole.' That made me giggle like a schoolgirl. That said, the rest of it is about as minimal as your other picture, with less style. There's no shading whatsoever except the stuff on his chest and stomach, which looks to be either blurry chest hair or some kind of fungus. I know you didn't spend too much time on this and it was mostly just to counteract all the estrogen titty pool this contest is becoming, so hopefully this rating won't offend you.
Artistic Merit: 5
Relevance: 6

PhisH -
Not up to the caliber of what I know you can do. The children are amorphous and their faces are, how do I put this lightly, nightmare inducing. It looks like you didn't even finish decorating the background, let alone start coloring it. You can't win these kind of contests on talent alone. Spend more time on your pieces. I do like the little victorian style framing things. Snazzy.
Artistic Merit: 5

afroXcore - A cute start, but doesn't look very finished. The lines are very messy, you didn't do much shading and the background looks slapped on. Take a little more time to make your pieces look clean.
Artistic Merit: 6

darkreaver - The biggest problem I see with this is the composition. It doesn't seem balanced. The coloring is very nice, but like I've said to others the lineart is simple and doesn't showcase what you can do. I do like the concept, though.

fatalM4 -

Artistic Merit: one million billion
Relevance: cheese

BrianLucey -
Very unique twist on the christmas theme, but he seems a bit too much like any jazzed up comic book character. This was very close to being chosen for one of the top 3. The coloring on it is fantastic, BUT i think you could have done more as far as light sources and hue variations go. One of the great things about colored pencils is how well they blend. Also, get a host that's not angelfire. Having to copy and paste links is just annoying.

ally -
It's very cute. The coloring is fantastic and the concept is very unique (not the kind of elf you see every day.) The biggest thing that brought this down for me, and probably what brought it out of the top 3, is that y ou didn't do any sort of a background. I was hoping you'd get the background finished in time. Still, it's a nice job.

oringe -
Haha. They look like they're watching home alone because they can't find anything better on TV.
Artistic Merit: dreidel
Relevance: latkes

Nice job everyone who entered~ Thanks for bringing your unique talents to the Polykarbon Community!

Last edited by oolong : 12-28-2004 at 05:07 PM.
oolong is offline   Reply With Quote