Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Rankao
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to Rankao Send a message via MSN to Rankao
Default Rankao's KO Intermediately Epic Sketchbook

I was going to use the adverb version of Mediocre instead of Intermediately, but apparently there is no adverb form of Mediocre. Well I'm going to aim at doing daily serious study sketches. At the moment my focus will be at creating interesting poses. At first they won't be lively; However, that will change with time... I hope.

GENERATION 23:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Rankao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Adakua
Karbonite

Send a message via Yahoo to Adakua

I'm like the body pose. Keep working on it.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Rankao
Karbonite

Working with Poses again will trying to pay attention to proportions. I absolutely screwed up on the perspective on the 3rd Image.

GENERATION 23:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Rankao
Karbonite

Head Study for Feb 01, 2009

GENERATION 23:
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Rankao
Karbonite

Abstract Balance Study:

I will likely re-edit this post with some more abstract balance studies. And more commentary if it gets positive feedback ( and C. criticism )

Commentary 2/2/09
Spoiler:
After my head study I realize I had problem with creating distinction between different genders. I decided to go even more basic and do a Abstract creation of the head. I manage to get the blocked heads looking pretty good in abstract cubic form. Even in 3d.

However, Once I decided to attempt to add items like the neck and the shoulders I couldn't get it. So I went back to the flatter profile using the abstract form. Whenever I look at what I had drawn I realize that there were some significant balance issues and slight proportion issue.

I decided to do a balance line and try the same style. To make it easier for me to see how the body balances when standing at attention. I decided not to add the arms, but left the shoulder portions of the arm in place. I threw the torso back and the pelvis forward. While fixing the point of which the scapula meets the humerus. The Femur( Yeah I definitely spelled in wrong in the drawing) was too short and was IMO awkwardly forward.

I also drew in a estimated spot where the femur sockets into pelvis. Although After looking to this it is likely off. (What do you think? )
I also drew the same for the humerus socket into the scapula . This time I think I might be a little low and a little bit to forward.

I did get a little detracted at what I was doing and attempted some muscle tone to the [back portion of the] legs and rounded out the back.

I added some notes in for my benefit. Trying to remember back from the anatomy/physiology days in high school, I added in the official names of the bones in the limbs.

Commentary 02/03/09 - More Abstract + Perspective + Motion
Spoiler:
All self explanatory. Attempts to work with some forshortening and perspective in the abstract form. For the most part (except for 1, that one is just horrible in anatomy) I feel pretty positive in anatomy. I feel that I've gotten depth down to a acceptable level. In fact I'm actually quite proud of the motion in 3. Although I had difficulty imagining the back leg. This could be that the front leg isn't up to par in the first place.

One of the points I've been trying to pay attention to when doing these abstract figures is the vanishing points. I've been aiming to keep them consistent, but with several moving components I have found that is more difficult then I first realized.

1 was made with that attempt in mind. However, I ended up making the vanishing point to be relative to each component of the body. Looking at it now, I would say that the 'camera' is viewing the figure from up top-left view. The feet might be the reason Its thrown off but definitely something that throws it off this perspective and makes it feel flat to me. (Possible the inconstant lighting/shading)

If you notice between 1 and 3 I gave up om the rib cage(how the ribs move up to the Sternum) and in fact went to cylinder limbs. I realize that previously was the norm; However, It took me a couple of tries to get comfortable with the less shapy body. I'm still worried a little bit about the pelvis. I actually have more trouble with it in abstract form then I do in Realistic form. I'm open to suggestions on how to do the pelvis along with femur.
----
I skipped 2, because I originally had a 2 but I deleted the layer. This made me very disappointed, and I went ahead and kept numbering them from 3 and 4 to remind myself to be more careful.

Any Balance Issues PLEASE point it out. That is something I focused heavy on in this set.

GENERATION 23:

Last edited by Rankao : 02-03-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Rankao
Karbonite

Referenced from Posemaniacs.com poses.

Just a take apart of a Dragunov got the basic shaped down.

GENERATION 23:

Last edited by Rankao : 02-15-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
m3_freak
Karbonara

Keep up the studies mate, they seem to be paying off
Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
andrexas
Karbonite

i like your gun and those heads

just prees this link pleasse help me
andrexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Rankao
Karbonite

Default Rankao's Sketchbook (UPDATE)

Two pages of sketches. Working on head and face and features. I'm having difficult on doing two difference genders any suggestions.

GENERATION 23:

Last edited by Rankao : 02-21-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Rankao
Karbonite

GENERATION 23:
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Rankao
Karbonite

Head Study, Neck Study and now...

Torso Study. Any suggestions with these studies?

NOTE: Torso Mass and Rib case from Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life.

GENERATION 23:
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
mandelak
Karbonite

Send a message via MSN to mandelak

way to go with the studies. looking good. keep up the good work. Im really liking the latest ones
mandelak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Rankao
Karbonite

Torso Study Back

GENERATION 23:
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Rankao
Karbonite

Default An Attempt of Perspective Study

GENERATION 23:
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Izanaki_Reload

Hey there. I really like your figure drawings and studies on dynamic poses. I can see that you're improving greatly. Keep it up.

Also, to shed some light on what you were asking about gender differences, let me give you a few conventional tips:

-Females usually have soft features and curvy physique. However, there are many unique varieties to the female form! Some of the basic body types are the hourglass, the pear-shape, and the cone shape (names of body types vary from place to place).

-Males, on the other hand, usually have more angular features and smaller hips compared to females. Like the females, male body types will also vary as well.

There's always an exception to the rule!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Rankao
Karbonite

Default Arm Study

GENERATION 23:
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
AnimePunk204
I ♥ Meat Eaters

Send a message via AIM to AnimePunk204 Send a message via MSN to AnimePunk204 Send a message via Yahoo to AnimePunk204

sweet. the key is to try to remember these things in your head and be able to apply them.

i remember i used to copy them without actually learning from them. I actually need to revisit my studies. you can never have enough as an artist working in representative human figure.
AnimePunk204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
Rankao
Karbonite

Oh yeah I definitely paid attention. A lot of things really surprised me. For example the Bicept connects to three parts, Your scapula(shoulder blade), clavicle , and Radius (Forearm bone that connect to the thumb part of your hand. )

The Triceps connects to your scapula and the Ulna (Other part of the forearm.) This is why when you stretch you arm to the other side of your body the Scapula slides and pokes out a little more.

From now on, I will actually sketch both the radius and ulna along with a little bit of representation for the scapula. I will also apply the same rules when I work on the lower part of the leg with the Tibia and the Fibula. For example the Fibula is lower then the Tibia when drawing the feet.

These are things that I have made sure I've put to memory while I was drawing these. Now the trick will be putting these parts to particle use to actually get it to memory.

GENERATION 23: