Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Success!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Okay, so, I need to challenge myself.
I've come to the point where I'm displeased with my art; I've spent too long inside my comfort zone, and it is beginning to stagnate. I've said before that I wouldn't want to be a professional artist because I didn't want to push myself to the point where I would hate drawing. But, if I don't push myself, I'm also never going to get better. So I'm going to start pushing myself.
Starting tomorrow, I'm going to try to have a finished drawing every week (on Saturdays) to post online. I am also going to try and draw for at least ten minutes every day. In the event I don't have something done by Saturday, I will post what I drew that week (sketches, WIPs).
The way I figure it, even on my busiest days, I know I can spare ten minutes for drawing, and setting a low, easily-attainable goal will be a good way for me to get in the habit of doing it every day, as opposed to attempting a Sistine Chapel every day. I've also noticed that my biggest setback is not lack of desire to draw, but lack of ideas: the desire is there, constantly; I just don't always know what to draw. For this, I figured, I know I need work in a lot of areas (anatomy, perspective, coloring, backgrounds, hands), so, in the initial ten minutes, if I don't have an idea, I will start drawing things that I need to work on. I think ten minutes every day, drawing boxes at different angles is a better teaching tool than not doing anything. And who knows? Maybe when I start drawing hands, an idea will come to me.
So why am I posting this online? Because I would like your help. Anyone who is reading this, I would like for you to help hold me accountable for my progress. I know that no one is going to help me get better but myself, but if I know people are waiting for an update from me, maybe it will help me get a motivated. I am always seeking critique and ways that I could better myself. And, hey, maybe you don't like my art, my technique, or my subject matter. That's fine; but if you can at least tell me why, it will help me look at my work through an unbiased set of eyes.
If you decide to crack the whip every now and then, thank you. If you decide you don't want part in this gamesomeness, thank you for at least giving this a read.
A'ight? A'ight.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #23
r@nd0m-lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via ICQ to r@nd0m-lamb

The lack of ideas is only a dummy reason. I usually have ideas but it is the execution that often discourages me, for example a complicated composition can be a real killer of joy. I sincerely hope you will manage to draw least those 10 minutes a day, it is enough to get into the habit but not nearly enough for significant improvement. Good luck, you may start with updating our SE.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
r@nd0m-lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Thanks, lamb.
When I said ten minutes, I meant 'at least', not 'ten minutes a day, then I'm done'.
I updated our SE.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

pick a topic and stick to it.

Like nude chick sets or car blog daily posts and travel blogs. Or mix all of them from day to day.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #26
Markus25
Karbonite

I am in a similar boat; I just need the motivation, something I want to draw so I can express an idea or situation etc in a way that words cannot convey. 10 minutes a day sounds easy enough to put into my schedule; posting weekly could be a challenge, but doable.
What I'm saying is, perhaps I should match your challenge, for as long as I can stand it.
Markus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #27
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

RO, picking a topic is hard for me, because I like to draw and try so many different things, and I also like so many different styles. I haven't quite settled into a style, yet, but if I could choose one person I would love to be able to replicate, it would be Kevin Chen.

Markus, then come on, man! Posy a sketchbook, a finished painting, some speed paints, or something! Do a sketch exchange, do a weekly challenge, something!

I was playing Lords of Shadow, which inspired me to try my hand at some of the game's artwork. Lords of Shadow has amazing artwork, both conceptual and finalized, and I urge everyone to check it out.

About 45 minutes.
I've noticed that whenever I try to freehand something from reference, I end up making the intended drawing wider. Dunno why that is.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Ctrlpaint exercise. About 5 minutes per thumbnail.
Fun stuff.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #29
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

It looks like fun.

Suggestion: start out using a hard-edged brush, and soften what's needed later. And use that awesome purple in the distant background!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Yeah, I got carried away with the chalk brush I made in Painter. I'm gonna give it a try again tonight with a harder brush.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
Professor Az
TK-85650

Great stuff, Joe. Are those floating rocks in the sixth image? Awesome.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Thank you, Professor. Those are, indeed, floating rocks in the sixth image. I've always liked the idea of floating islands/rocks/cities/place. Too bad they've been done to death.

These exercises are a great way to highlight how unoriginal and uncreative I truly am.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #33
Yitetsu
Tai

A couple of your island paintings remind me of Zelda:Windwaker
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
Professor Az
TK-85650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
I've always liked the idea of floating islands/rocks/cities/place. Too bad they've been done to death.
I just saw Flash Gordon again last night, and this thread immediately came to mind. All the moons of Mongo were floating rocks and cities. I think I'll watch Empire Strikes Back next, for another floating city.

Done to death doesn't mean you can't find a new perspective for the same subject. It just means you need to crank up the effort a bit, is all. I think you're doing that very well.

Carry on.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
djizomdjinn
(JI-zom JIN)

Hmm, your landscapes seem to come out on the blurry side-- I think you're shifting into blending colors too soon.

Try working with a strictly defined color palette (one of each color from red to purple, black, and white) and hand-blending your colors together, and working with hard-edged brushes only.
*Warning: This poster may disappear for months at a time.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Thank you, fellas. Here is my third try at this exercise, and I think I'm done with landscapes for now.

I used Photoshop instead of Painter, this time. I'd forgotten how much different the tools feel. This is also why I can't settle for just one program; there are lots of things I like about one that the other one doesn't have.
I also think the reason the previous ones came out blurry is because of the difference in brush settings between Painter and PS... or it could just be that I suck.
Professor, see that last one with the floating island? I did that one just for you. <3

Now to go study some goddamn rocks.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #37
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Don't feel like working on this one anymore. Maybe some other time.
I need to be braver with my colors. I think I'm playing it safe too much.
What do you guys think?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
Grieverjoe
Dirty Slut

Today's serving comes to you courtesy of Kevin Chen and Pixelovely, respectively.

I spent more than I'm comfortable admitting on this one. I'm still trying to learn how to draw like him. One day, though...

In this one, you can tell I wasn't feeling very confident at first, judging by my light strokes. But, as I went on, I started making more bold, confident strokes. I love gesture drawing. 30 seconds each.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #39
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Yes definitely getting better dude, the kevin chen studies seems to have helped a lot.

For the landscape studies, I actually think it will help you more if you just copied it straight instead of morphing it because you don't have the necessary foundation to do so effectively yet.

Also films are a great tool for studying composition.

Keep my sketchbook alive.

30/90 pics! RARR
Active S.E.s -
jigo-afro-RO-Lamb
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
Professor Az
TK-85650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
Professor, see that last one with the floating island? I did that one just for you. <3
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Now get back to work! Rawr! Rawr! Rawr!