Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
BL1NK
Karbonite

Default Drawing Tablet

I am currently seeking to purchase a tablet for my computer. I can't afford right now to buy a really nice one, I think a used one will do fine. I really want one so I can draw in photoshop more accurately than with my mouse.
BL1NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Naota
Karbonite

K
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
BL1NK
Karbonite

Short and sweet.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
HunterKiller_
BANNED

You don't need to tell us what you're going to buy... Or do you want help on which one to buy? If that's the case then say so please.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
BL1NK
Karbonite

O, I am sorry. I am looking to buy one and I don't know where I can find one that doesn't cost an insane amount.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
HunterKiller_
BANNED

You could always buy a Wacom Graphire 2 4x5" which wouldn't cost that much.
Otherwise, look on ebay or another more localized online auction.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
BL1NK
Karbonite

How much would one of those cost me? I just bought a new and expensice computer and don't have alot left for other things.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
gmpilot
Go Rice, TUCK FEXAS!

If you buy it used, a few hundred dollars. At most.

-Check out my OUTDATED lineart. Seriously, I have drawn way more stuff since then.
gmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
tzuge
Permanent Idler

Send a message via MSN to tzuge

Graphire3 4x5 is ~$100

so a used Graphire2 4x5 should be less than that.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Quote:
Wacom Graphire 2 4x5
I have that. Mines all scratched from pointy nibs.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
BL1NK
Karbonite

Hmm... Wacom is a really nice brand it seems. Are there anyother brands that can get the job done, but at an even lower price used?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
arcane
Karbonite

I recently got a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 and though it cost me a pretty penny and I know I have a way to go with it, I have little to no regrets over my purchase..in fact, I'm glad I bought what is arguably the best tablet on the market right now and didn't buy something that is not the best because if I didn't like that then I'd likely what to try buying what I have now (which in the end, costs a WHOLE lot more)

From what I've gathered, if you're completely comfortable with using a pencil on paper to the point that you'd shade and sketch all day when inspired and in some ways prefer it to using the mouse on digital art programs then you might be ready for a tablet. I've always liked using pencil & paper and it was only after I started thinking of my tablet to emulate such that I was quickly getting used to it. Remember that the tablet isn't magic, all it does is provide a lot more control than a mouse should (if you can control a pencil in your hand) and with the pressure sensitivity, it also makes shading much easier which means you don't have to use blending brushes as much.

So, I'd say buy the best tablet that you can afford and if it so turns out that you don't like it, sell it on ebay or something because it's sure to be wanted by someone else. If you buy something cheap, you may end up wasting money eitherways.
arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

Other brands are typically noticeably worse than Wacoms, by the general feel (accuracy) and reliability. Wacoms work without batteries and don't have detachable parts that might break easily. Acecad tablets for instance are highly inaccurate and the pens break in regular use.

I'd say buying anything cheaper than the cheapest Wacom you can find is a waste of your money. The cheapest, used Wacom shouldn't cost more than a decent mouse, and if you can't afford that, either save up or don't buy one at all.

And well, a word of warning. I used to own a Wacom Graphire2 and I didn't find it comfortable at all for drawing. It beats mouse in coloring and such, but it doesn't compete even nearly with drawing on paper. Intuoses have a much better feel to them, but they cost a lot. And I still rather sketch on paper.

If you're serious about art, maybe plan a career in art and you're absolutely sure you'll be spending lots of time with a tablet, you might as well save for a (used?) Wacom Intuos right away..

If you're not sure tablets are your thing in the first place, or draw just occasionally for fun, for a hobby, get a Wacom Volito or Graphire. They're more toyish than Intuoses, but they get the job done.

If you just want to be able to say that you have a tablet, but don't really need it for art use, just buy the cheapest thing you can find. ;)

traum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
BL1NK
Karbonite

It's not that I don't want to spend alot on one, it's that I don't have much money that I can spend on one. I am in high school and without a job so money can be a problem for me.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #15
tzuge
Permanent Idler

Send a message via MSN to tzuge

if you don't have enough money for a Wacom Graphire, I suggest either waiting and saving up or asking for it for christmas or birthday or something. Wacom really is the only way to go. You could always just ask for the Intuos. The resale value on Wacome tablets seems to be quite good... so you could always just sell it if find it's not for you.

also... be aware that using a tablet isn't the same as pencil/pen on paper. For one, the lines appear on screen instead off right at the pencil/pen tip. It can take a while to get used to a table even if you are very proficient w/ pencil/pen.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
DawnFu
!?!

Send a message via MSN to DawnFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuge
Graphire3 4x5 is ~$100

so a used Graphire2 4x5 should be less than that.
Really!? I can find a tablet 4x5 near of $100 ?

-D.T.75ieme-

Last edited by DawnFu : 08-12-2005 at 07:22 PM.
DawnFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
BL1NK
Karbonite

I found some on ebay, tell me what you think.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tablet-and-Stylu...cmd ZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacom-Graphire2-...c mdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/WACOM-intuos2-Pl...cm dZViewItem
Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #18
MorFiuM
Is NOT a name of a drug

Send a message via MSN to MorFiuM

but the screen ther is so tine ....
and i dont get the idae of this thing...
you mean you axtualy drae somtink with the pan on this bord....and it shows on the computer ? am i right ?

Pk-Pub:Get Drunk and wasted
i know the day will come ...

and ill become famous....i just know it !!!
hhhhh...yea right ...LOL !!!
so dont say "What The ****", just **** the " what" and say "The **** ?" !!!
MorFiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
Tanalius
There can be only none!

Send a message via AIM to Tanalius Send a message via MSN to Tanalius

Uhhh what the hell did you just say?

Tanalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #20
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

The ones you found on ebay look good. I don't know about that second one though, there's something attached to the back of the pen, can't make it out of that small pic. Maybe the eraser end is broken or something? :x

Intuos2 is the best of these. I'm guessing it's selling price goes to at least 200-300$. If it goes for less than that, it's monstrously cheap.

traum4 is offline   Reply With Quote