Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Art Critique
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Send a message via AIM to MusicalWonder Send a message via MSN to MusicalWonder Send a message via Yahoo to MusicalWonder
Lineart Picture of 1 of my main characters

Hello how is everyone doing? Well, I guess posting stuff I am new on here. But looking and everybody's awesome drawings, I have been here a while. But I guess I decided to put my lil chicken stratch up here. This is kindof a rough pic of one of my main characters in my story. This is her in one of her transformed states. I just did the pencil work then inked it without filling in any shades or anything. I want to print out a few copies and toy with it to get a feel of what I want to do. But ya'll check it out, and help me out, give me all ya input.

MusicalWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Hiltz
The #1 Headband

Hi MusicalWonder.

Your drawings aren't showing. You'll have to find a place to host them first.
You can try creating a free account at something like www.photobucket.com and upload your drawings from your computer.Then you'll be able to post your picture here by simply copying the url or image link underneath the drawings you choose to upload.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Send a message via AIM to MusicalWonder Send a message via MSN to MusicalWonder Send a message via Yahoo to MusicalWonder
Lineart Sorry bout that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltz
Hi MusicalWonder.

Your drawings aren't showing. You'll have to find a place to host them first.
You can try creating a free account at something like www.photobucket.com and uploading your drawings from your computer and then you'll be able to post your drawings here by simply copying and pasting the link.

Let me try it again, did it work this time

Last edited by MusicalWonder : 05-27-2006 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Pic change
Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
starvingartist
rubber ducky

yes, it worked quite well this time.

first i'd say, very cool lookin wings. i know its just an outline, but there are some areas that are perhaps too outlined, namely the abs. as a rule of thumb i usually never out line muscles, unless its a vary muscularly developed male. if you shade it correctly you can get a more realistic rendering while still achieving some awesomely ripped abs. um... other crits would be, that the wings are good, but they would be better if you had some bird references around you while you drew them. references never her hurt and always help.
cool concept though . keep posting
starvingartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #5
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Ok, thats cool, yea, I didn't have any references around at the time, just kind of spur at the moment thing, but thanks man, I'm probably going to put up more soon too.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
DarkWater
In Karbonite Freeze

tiz good tiz good indeed. boot there is one thing that looks wrong, and that be the feathers. feathers are stiff for the most part especially the wing feathers, they can bend a little bit but not much.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b

Good stuff, a few issues come to mind, but nothing more practice and study won't correct (but everyone always needs these things anyway).

My biggest beef, and suggested area for you to work on is the inking. Your lines are squiggles and all the same width. Spend some more time on this one, go over the lines a few times, and vary the widths as well as try to make the lines as flowing as possible. When I ink, I always start much like this one looks, just a thin ink line, and some squiggles and ugliness is to be expected. After getting the lines down and erasing the pencil, I then go over the whole thing again, weighting lines, evening them out, making sure they are continuous, flowing lines, etc. Inking should really take you a long time, you need to pay a lot of attention to the lines, but it really comes out in the finished product if that time and attention is taken.

Here is an example of the difference I am talking about:

See how much of a difference varying the line widths makes? It makes the picture pop, and it looks a lot more compelling.

Anyway, you can try this out on your drawing, you will probably notice a vast improvement in it if you do.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Dark Water: yea, I didn't have a reference so I just did what came to mind, thanks for the input and compliment

blzz0b: Dude, I have read and looked at your strips you put up, they are awesome, I should have took a lil more time inking but I didn't have much time, but I will try that on this one and see how it comes out. Thanks for the help
Old 05-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b

Thanks.

You should update this when you've weighted it, I'd like to see it.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
MusicalWonder
White Aura

I will
Old 05-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
shadowstarre
Karbonite

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 1

You're on the right track. At this point I'd start flipping your pictures horizontally after scanning to catch things like facial asymmetry, and studying the finer points of anatomical proportion to get the best out of your concepts.

Welcome to PK, by the way.
shadowstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Yea I am going to work on and put a few chibis up
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
vcat2k
Egyptian Prince

Send a message via AIM to vcat2k

I agree with the above. I think for a masculine girl, her hands and feet should be a little bigger too. http://www.supermantv.net/images/car...nder-woman.jpg
I think she would be a somewhat decent reference for hands relative to the rest of her body.
The wings just need some more detailing and variation in feather size. Just showing little breaks in the feather will make it look more natural imo. I also don't think her waist should be smaller in width than the head, because then it looks unnatural.
Dedicated to Lufia 2 SNES AKA Estpolis in DS
vcat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

Welcome to PK. I see you have interest in drawing angelic wings and such, so I suggest you check out these tutorials:
http://neondragonart.com/dp/tutorials/
Theres a section there for feathered wings and other types, really good for learning and for reference, I think it could help a lot since it is a pretty simple and effective way of drawing them.
Also if you are going to take the time to ink, take the time put in some varying line width (like b1zz0b said). And try to make women's shoulder narrower, it makes for a sleeker, sexier look.
Nice job overall.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
MusicalWonder
White Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaf
Welcome to PK. I see you have interest in drawing angelic wings and such, so I suggest you check out these tutorials:
http://neondragonart.com/dp/tutorials/
Theres a section there for feathered wings and other types, really good for learning and for reference, I think it could help a lot since it is a pretty simple and effective way of drawing them.
Also if you are going to take the time to ink, take the time put in some varying line width (like b1zz0b said). And try to make women's shoulder narrower, it makes for a sleeker, sexier look.
Nice job overall.

Apreciate the help man
Old 05-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

Hey man my drawing might be abit on the crappy side, but i got some mean links .
And to make this post a bit more useful, the rings on her right ankle are defying gravity...try making them look like they are resting on her leg.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
Volken00
Karbonite

YOu might want to try the pentel brush pens as well. I bought myself one last month and boy does it kick ass. THe FIRST brush pen I am actually satisfied with(I hate the micron and fabercastell ones).

So years later I come back and I think its incredibly stupid when people go on this forum and tell everyone not to draw anime.
Volken00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #18
MusicalWonder
White Aura

volken00: really, do most art stores carry pentel brush pens...I'll try it out and see what it's like

Alphaf: come on man, ya stuff ain't on the crappy side, thanks for the input