Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #42
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

Thanks.

I did an oc session last night with Shimmering Sword and Rayvon.

SS is top left, Rayvon is bottom left (and the smiley?), and I did the right side.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #43
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Since this is a sketchbook thread, I figured I might as well post some actual sketches:

Some skulls and Milla Jovovich.

Random faces and a referenced muscley back.

Referenced muscle lady and scribbles.

More random stuff.

Raziel from Soul Reaver, and some other assorted things.

Bleep.

Bloop.

Referenced drawing of some random picture I found.

Referenced drawing of some lady and Bruce Campbell!

Comments are cool, or so I've heard.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #44
VTS_v2.0
Meow?

Send a message via AIM to VTS_v2.0

The cross hatching on the very first skull(top left) is awesome! I really like all of the random sketches on each page, even the referenced ones. The variety in them keeps each page fresh, and your poses are pretty good.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #45
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Thanks. I've been trying to do a mix of referenced and non referenced stuff. I've been slacking off a bit lately, though.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #46
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

wow, great work here. Really love your crosshatching shading. I... pretty much like everything here :\ Keep it up man!

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 AM   #47
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

More stuff, whatever:

These two were the last assignment for my layout class. We had to do some type of scifi fashion accesories or something. They were supposed to be like trading cards, so they had to fit in a template.

This was for the same assignment with the old lady and the mutant cat. We did these first. We had to draw a kid and a kitten at several different angles amongst destruction.

This was all for the same assignment, I just separated the images since they don't really have anything to do with one another. We had to draw different types of clothings, in different time periods, and different weather conditions.

This was a basic drawing assignment. We just had to draw one clothed woman and one clothed man. I included a background.

This was my first basic drawing assignment. We could draw whatever we wanted, we just had to include a male, female, animal, vehicle, furniture, weapon, vegetation, and architecture.

This was a layout assignment. We had to design a self promotional tshirt.

This was a narrative assignment for Adam Kubert. He gave us a two page Hulk script, and we had to draw it entirely in silhouette.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #48
McGarnacle
coins in a wishing well.

that silhouette sequential is awesome. you should do more of those :o
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #49
Krasterk
...Long Live The Code

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '06 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Krasterk

I agree, great job with the silhouette thing. Interesting asignments. I'm really enjoying the backgrounds to, especially that clothed man and woman one, simple and works great with the composition.

Krasterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #50
embrio
Last of the Mohicans

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 

great work! all around nice stuff.... good composition... all your endeavors turn out well.
I really like your comic pages the most... even though your paintings kick ass as well... you need to make the freak parade as a comic.... it looks so kool... I would totally read it.... your hulk pages are good too... but it always reminds me of Frank Miller... when I see silhouette pages

embrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #51
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 
Total Awards: 2

Awesome stuff! You have a great sense of composition and shape. You also do very well with integrating characters and backgrounds.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #52
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

McGarnacle- Thanks. I enjoyed it, and it helped me learn to think about arranging shapes a little better, too. Though seeing it so long after I did it, I can see how people thought the last two panels were unclear.

Krasterk- Thanks. I like the effect I had going on in the background of that image, but now I wish I had put in perspective instead of doing it straight on. It just seems phony that way.

embrio- Yeah, I like doing comic page and single illustrations. Illustrations are definitely a hell of a lot easier most of the time. The Freak Parade thing was just me coming up with some random name for some of the stuff I do. My layout teacher wanted us to do a promotional tshirt, and if you were doing something for yourself, it needed some type of title. Since I like drawing weird things, I thought it fit. I did kind of consider doing something with it, as kind of a side project, but I don't really have any ideas. It's more of a random collection of weird ideas than anything to do with a story.

jigokuen- Thanks. That means a lot coming from someone as good as you. I'm glad that I pushed myself a bit with backgrounds at the school. Now I just have to do some a little more complicated. And speed... I really need to get faster.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #53
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

So I would be correct in assuming your going to the Joe Kubert drawing school? Wow your so lucky. I wish I could go there. Your stuff is amazing man.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #54
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So I would be correct in assuming your going to the Joe Kubert drawing school? Wow your so lucky. I wish I could go there. Your stuff is amazing man.
Yeah, I enjoy it.

Unless it's a money or personal thing, there's really no reason you couldn't be able to attend. Honestly, I was surprised at how little some of the people going knew about drawing. You could click on a random thread in the critique section here and find someone on the level, or above, some of the people that make it in to that school. And that's not me putting the school down (or PK :P), because the teachers are great, and the work load is so intense, that you can't help but improve. I like the shcool, but it's not nearly as hard to get in as you might think.

Even money isn't that big of a problem if you don't mind going into debt. I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but I was able to take out student loans to cover most of the expenses. For an art school, it's pretty reasonable. It's around 16k a year right now, and it's only a 3 year program. Most schools are more than twice that, and usually take longer.

I'd recommend anyone interested in going pro check it out. They will kick your ass with work, and force you to get better. There's ten different classes a week, and almost always homework in each. And when I say homework, I mean some serious homework, not like a couple hours worth of assignments. Depending on how much effort you put into something, it'll probably be at least 5 to 6 hours for each class, though some assignments here and there are pretty quick and easy. Don't get me wrong, it's tough, but I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it, and I know it helped me improve a lot and I've still got 2 years to go.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 08-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #55
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

i dont think it has much to do with money just the fact of leaving home again. i left for virginia for a year and that was tough enough. i dunno what my future career in art will be but i want it based in wisconsin.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #56
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Eh, it's just school. You can always live somewhere else afterwards. You really don't have to live anywhere in particular to do this kind of work, althought it might give you an edge.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #57
obsceneONextasy
synophobia

oh.
wow.

..wow..your artwork is amazazing. [not misspelled]
but still they always know
obsceneONextasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #58
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Other than that silhouette sequential, I love your shaded pencil drawings the most. The girl + kitten + DOOM one is great. The shading and the perspective really captured the mood. How do you do your perspectives? Do you use a reference, or do you sort of free hand it with rulers and what not?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #59
Alex J.

I wonder y i can't c anything???
Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #60
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Sorry for the late replies, but I've started school again, and I'm incredibly busy. I've already got a ton more new stuff to upload, and I didn't even finish uploading stuff from the first year! Hopefully things will slow down a bit at some point so I can scan stuff.

obsceneONextasy- Thank you.

Xion Valkyrie- Thanks. About the perspective? It depends. If it's a simple shot, or I'm just feeling lazy, I'll rough in some perspective guidelines and just wing it. If I need to be more exact, but it's not too complicated, I'll usually just work with the horizon line and vanishing points on the image itself (attaching long ass sheets of paper usually to fit them on properly). If something's too crazy, though, I might scan in a thumbnail and work up the perspective in Photoshop. I usually do this if there's complicate shapes, or curved stuff which is difficult to figure out in perspective. Here's an image of something I was working on here. It was for one panel on a page we had to do for humor:

I'll do that, print it actual size, then lightbox it onto the paper. I try to keep the shapes simple, so I'm not just tracing when I work on the paper. I'll try to scan in the actual panel some time, to compare this to the finished. Also, I almost always use a ruler, french curves, etc. I've been lazy and not used them, but it usually looks pretty sloppy. Most people if they don't use a ruler for the finish, at least rule out everything and then go back over everything freehand so it doesn't look sterile, but still looks accurate.

I also posted a tutorial that kind of showed my method (but it's a very simple example). http://polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=19393
I would have done more, but judging by that thread, only one guy was interested. :P

Alex J.- Yeah, my webhost is pretty... inconsistent. It goes down from time to time, but it should be working now.

Anyway, I did scan ONE thing in. It was small enough that I only had to scan once, so... I did. We did this for our color illustration class, as taught by Rowena. Our first assignment was a portrait done in acrylic. I chose to do Lance Henriksen.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook