Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515
Color Art Pretty Butterflies

Haven't posted in here for a while...

Anyway, this was part of my sketch exchange with Jeco, so it's his design. I liked the guy so much, I decided to do a finished piece instead of just a sketch. Spent a couple days, maybe a total of 8-10 hours.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

I don't see any pretty butterflies

Anyways, looks great. Love the use of warm colors despite the grotesque nature of the piece. One thing that bothers me is that the perspective on the ceiling is completely off. It might be better to not have a ceiling at all. Also, the back walls seems to bend (if you look at where it meets the floor on the fat dude's left side, and then look at where the door is positioned on the right side).
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Yeah, the highlight on the door behind him is all out of whack. It was already a bit off, and that made it look totally screwed up.

I am terrible at drawing straight lines freehand, so the ceiling is all wobbly, but the perspective is correct. In the sketch stage, I established the horizon and set up paths for each vp, and then periodically straighten it up. I don't want it to look too mechanical, so I try to freehand a bit. Again, I suck at this, so the lines are kind of wavy, but they're generally correct:

Thanks for the c&c.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
jeco
Industriously apathetic

The main thing that stood out to me was the perspective of the saw blades. We seem to be seeing them too much from the side rather than the 3/4 view they should be seen at.

...or maybe I just didn't illustrate the design of them well enough? The idea was that they were sticking straight out from his chest. The bottom one is spinning upward and the top one spinning downward so that they would essentially pull and feed things into the hole.

*EDIT*
Wait a minute, Alucard is posting something in the gallery?

I guess I don't have room to talk huh?

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Those I had a problem with. I have a hard enough time drawing a straight line free hand, but circles in perspective with equally spaced teeth? Forget it. What I ended up doing was making two circles, and adding teeth to them (although I made them more like cogs, because I though you had machinery inside him also). I then copied them, and distorted them in perspective according to the vp on the left side, which I think is pretty consistent with the angle he's standing at. I used them as a template to communicate the shape, and then roughed them up a bit to make them slightly less perfect looking.

Looking at it now, the bottom one seems to be sticking out a bit further than the top. But then, his gut is going to be further out at the bottom as well. Do you mean they were supposed to be angled inwards some or that they're turned away from us horizontally more than he is? While I did distort them in perspective along the same lines he's standing in, I might have squeezed them in too much, making them more distorted than they should have been. To me, this doesn't really make it look more turned away, but it makes the shapes more like ovals in perspective than circles, which is still wrong.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

The problem is more with the depth.

Here's a close approximation of the 2 vanishing points you used for this image:

These are supposed to represent squares, but on the right side, they're basically slivers of rectangles because of the extreme angle. The 2 hooks that's hanging from the ceiling are placed in such a way that they feel at odds at how extreme the ceiling angles are. They seem like they're equal distance apart visually, when there should be some indication of the extreme depth. I think if you drop the first hook a bit lower, and change the orientation a bit, it'll help break the weird illusion effect.

Also, the beam that the hooks are hanging from, should increase in width by quite a bit as its coming towards the viewer, but right now it seems to have non-changing width.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
jeco
Industriously apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard1515
Those I had a problem with. I have a hard enough time drawing a straight line free hand, but circles in perspective with equally spaced teeth? Forget it.
I know exactly what you mean. I must have tried sketching those blades out freehand half a dozen times before I came to my senses and got a reference. :P

I always tell people for technical stuff like that google sketchup + google 3D warehouse = an invaluable tool.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Do you mean they were supposed to be angled inwards some or that they're turned away from us horizontally more than he is?
They appear to be turned more. This should hopefully show what I mean:

Quote:
I made them more like cogs, because I though you had machinery inside him also
The machinery was the motors and stuff for the circular saws. SE's are all about how one person interprets the other person's art though; so if you want them to be cogs then they are cogs

*EDIT*
I just noticed the sketch you posted in the SE and it looks like you may have just positioned them perpendicular to the way I did. As I said how ever you want to interpret it is up to you, but just for the sake of clarity here is a profile view of how I intended them to be positioned:
Spoiler:

Sketchbook

Last edited by jeco : 04-18-2010 at 03:39 AM.
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Xion, I don't know. I'm going to go back and try to tighten up some of the lines, because I think my wobbly lines in some spots are making things look off. The beam on the ceiling is following the vp I have set up, but the top, darker part veers inward off the line, and the light is almost obliterating the distinction between the ceiling and beam. Both these things are probably contributing to it looking thinner than I intended, so I'll go back and fix those things.

As far as the hooks, I don't get it. The bottom of both line up with the horizon, and the tops of the hooks are in line with the line from the vp. I guess because there is only two of them, there's not really much information to infer how far apart they are. If I had added a third, equally spaced chain and hook, then I could have shown how the distances appear to close up because of the more extreme perspective. I do agree that they're a bit straight in line right now, and could probably twist one around.

Jeco, that's exactly what happened. I thought they were flat against his body, not protruding like that. And yeah, I need to get sketchup again. I used it a bit before, but I got too carried away with it. I think it can be useful for setting up a scene and for some complex objects that are hard to freehand, but I have to find a good balance. When I used it before, I spent way too much time just setting things up and the result looked worse than if I just figured it out on my own. It was exact, but boring.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll try to update it this evening.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Okay, I went through and straightened up a lot of the lines. Biggest changes are the beam on the ceiling, and it's cast shadow, and the bottom of the door, but I tweaked most of the straight lines.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
raptor
roar i say...roar...

Send a message via AIM to raptor

this is incredibly miniscule and i know you expressed your freehanding of straight line skills, but the bottom molding and the door don't seem to line up. its almost like it dents back. but other than that i think its very pretty and butterfly-er-e?
oh yes don't you think he is a bit to clean? lol
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

Very nice, I really like your style ;D
Also, your use of colour is wonderful, and the muted shadows are awesome.

I knew there wouldn't be any butterflies as I clicked the link :p

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Manamaraya
A candy van!!?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 

I love me some butterflies and what is this?

Haha the edited image looks boss : > I think your color choices could have accommodated the subject matter a little more. Everything's so bright, warm and happy in terms of colors, I think this could have been a lot stronger with nixing that bright yellow front lighting, making it a dim, cool blue (or purple?), and using and intensifying the red back lighting coming from the door as the brighter, sharper light source--making the image overall much darker, and dramatic. But man, when it comes to color and mood, things are so subjective, so what I have to say on it probably doesn't matter anyways haha!

This looks fab B]
Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase

Raptor: Are you referring to the original, or after I changed it?

Fshoo: Thanks.

Manamaraya: Thanks. Yeah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, this didn't occur to me, because the lighting from the door was one of the last things I added to the image. I didn't originally plan for it, but I wanted some sort of reflected light, and didn't have anything going on with the door, so I think that worked out to make him stand out from the background a bit better. The lighting set up you described sounds interesting.

I had a bit of problem with the lighting, because at first I had it as a sickly green color... but wasn't working the way I wanted. Also, it made a lot of the colors too similar, since I made his skin tinted green. Once I altered the background colors a bit, it started to look more like conventional lighting.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
IshidaLyons
Karbonite

Location: I live in Idaho and I'll soon be moving to another state. ^^

I feels the lighting need to be more composed inside the stomach where the light reflect off the gears. I believe you have done a good job in the external skin light reflection and the idea in this image. I think you have a good skill for blood traces and the way blood splattered including the drain on the floor. Very well done on this artwork. I'd like to see more of your works.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
Fossil Fox
Starving artist

Well the image was a surprise and unexpected.

I don't have anything to offer as far as advice.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
KaenLogos
Kinky

Send a message via AIM to KaenLogos Send a message via MSN to KaenLogos

The thread title and picture result is nothing short of priceless.

Cool stuff Al, creepy atmosphere
KaenLogos is offline   Reply With Quote