Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Sev
ಠ_ರೃ

Default Apple Ipad is out

any of you got your hands on one yet? If so, what are your impressions of it so far?

I'm debating on if I should get one now or what until the price drop and all the little kinks are fixed.

The only thing I've been able to gather that is wrong right now is that wifi will either not detect any networks at all or it will be very very strict. (downloads worse then dial up.) On rev3's coop show, they demonstrated mirrors edge being played on it, and it look like a lot of fun.

So, any impressions?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
meerkat
ffff.. phusion

Send a message via MSN to meerkat

If you are going to get this either way, I'd say wait for the 3G model to come out. That's what alot of people are doing.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Send a message via MSN to hezzart

Wait for the 2nd generation version. I want it badly, the Brushes app makes it worth it alone...
hezzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Krasnoznamonec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
moof
:D

Send a message via AIM to moof

2nd gen awaiting. I've heard apple and adobe have a pretty bad relationship, which makes me worry that the ipad will not become the tablet pc/sketch machine it could be :(

No pen too. BLEH.

We'll have to see.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by moof
2nd gen awaiting. I've heard apple and adobe have a pretty bad relationship, which makes me worry that the ipad will not become the tablet pc/sketch machine it could be :(

No pen too. BLEH.

We'll have to see.
On some fronts, they do seem to have worsened their relationship (flash). Though as far as Adobe the creative software entity and typeface company go, they're still pretty tight. Don't expect any Photoshop for iPad soon though.. maybe just some basic photo-editing software through their AIR platform.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Sev
ಠ_ರೃ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusion
If you are going to get this either way, I'd say wait for the 3G model to come out. That's what alot of people are doing.
not sure about the 3g version, i really don't want any extra bills a month.

moof: there will be pens for it from 3rd parties later down the road.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Shou
licensed to ill

The really smooth framerate makes it look cool but I dont see a point to it, it may do a lot of things but it doesnt do them well, and thats what matters.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
DN
I'm standing behind you.

Long story short: I don't need it.

Longer story longer: I will probably end up with one since my business revolves around software development, including the iPhone and others, so you can call me a hypocrite when I eventually have one for work anyway.

So, as long as you don't try to look at it as a replacement for a real laptop, it's fine. It's a media device like the iPod, and while it may be a good replacement for netbooks, it's not really that useful (yet) for more advanced tasks. It's good for surfing the net, watching movies, and sending emails.

I will say I hate Apple marketing though, but that's a whole other topic in itself.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
IARKK
XBLive: Blasianman89

i would wait for 2nd generation and beyond, as these things tend to suck on their first go round

unless you want to to wait for Google's tablet. and i think IGN mentioned of Sony creating one too

*edit- If WACOM were to make one, id totally wait for that xD
IARKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
hezzart
Blue Katamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivik1
not sure about the 3g version, i really don't want any extra bills a month.

moof: there will be pens for it from 3rd parties later down the road.
If you already have a 3G connection or lots of wi-fi coverage, I wouldn't bother for the 3G version. Whenever the 2nd generation models hit Europe, I'll be going for the wifi version and just figure out how to tether my phone's 3G connection (I think they call it mifi). They're crazy to think I'll buy a 2nd 3G plan for one device.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I don't see why people are excited for this. Well I should say SO excited for it. I've read articles about how it is going to revolutionize computers. Laptops aren't portable enough, according to one of them. Sure it's a neat device, but not really anything that changes our lives. Maybe it's just me, but this whole mobile, do everything on one device thing annoys me. It's the mobility that really kills me. Do you really need to tote around your $600 piece of aluminum so you can access your facebook at a whim? Maybe if you're a business person or something...I think it's kinda neat, has some potential, but its just merely another gadget that complicates our lives.

Also, that article said something about Apple's mindset in regards to software. They were saying that dedicated programs will be outdated, and will eventually get replaced with more advanced webpages and downloadable apps. That's another thing, this assumes everybody has internet. I know its become super cheap and many places have wifi, but not all do. What if I don't have the internet at home? Half my crap is useless. Anyway...that's my rant for the morning.

P.S. Wacom ipad that could run Photoshop would be cool though.
Meatloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 2

Well, we had this conversation a while back, but for the price this thing sucks! Don't get me wrong, I do like apple, but it's this product is market over-saturation. For what I would use if for, it's certainly not worth $600+. I have a computer and I have a phone/ipod. Personally, I don't like the idea of always being connected.

In fact, lately I've been thinking about ways to use less technology. I feel like my life is being taken over. It's starting to get to the point that don't even want to use my ipod. I like cell-phones; being able to stay in touch is great. Computers are fun and make life easy, but I'm getting really bored with all of this! When I get a chance to sit down and read a book on my porch I feel ecstatic. I feel like I've been undervaluing my senses, and just doing things that do not involve technology make me feel good. I'm not happy if I'm not learning or exploring something, and I feel like I've thrown the baby out with the bath water; when did I start undervaluing the physical world and start over valuing the digital? Where is the line between technology that helps our lives, and technology that takes over our lives?

Wow! Am I ever off topic, but it's actually because of the ipad. I'm at a crossroads here, and the ipad is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. As funny as it sounds, it made me re-evaluate my priorities. I'm going back to the real world.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

It's a bigger iPhone. Do you need a bigger iPhone that doesn't make phone calls?

The iPad is a media consumption device. If you just want to browse the internet, read comics, listen to music, or play simple games, then go ahead and spend the $600.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

Here's where it misses the mark with me:

1: I can't run my programs on it. It runs apple stuff only: oh let me guess; the software world should revolve on apple? Whenever I go buying a machine, compatibility always comes first. -you should be able to run whatever os you want on your machine.

2: It's not necessarily a stronger machine. I remember when new technology used to brag about how fast it was. IBM and ads about number crunching, ect.

3: It used to be cool to be able to add whatever interface devices came out. -yeah it's nice that it's small and lets you connect with the world, but the fact that hardware compatibility's Apple's cryptonite doesn't sit well with me. I expect immitators to run over apple's proprietary model in a very short time.

And someone mentioned cloud computing (using programs that are already online and machines becoming nothing more than access ports?) -that hopefully shouldn't be the future cause when the internet was invented, wasn't it invented to make sure information can survive ELSEWHERE if a data infrastructure gets destroyed? Having everything CONNECTED's one thing, but having personal computers as nothing more than access ports is sorta dumb.

Cable-less usb devices: now that's going to be revolutionary.

My .obj format 3d models for learning blender3d.
Dwee dee(3d) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
moof
:D

Send a message via AIM to moof

Quote:
1: I can't run my programs on it. It runs apple stuff only: oh let me guess; the software world should revolve on apple? Whenever I go buying a machine, compatibility always comes first. -you should be able to run whatever os you want on your machine.
This is by design. Apple's future ambitions seem to be to dominate the future of what is/was the desktop computer market.
People for the most part don't need a computer that has the power it does. They just want email, the internet, and other simple shit. The ipad represents that to its fullest potential (as of right now).
So why not just buy the ipad, instead of a fancy new 'computer' when all you want to do is cruise the internet?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

i don't need it, i'd much rather have my macbook pro.

If they came out with a REAL tablet macbook, that'll be something else.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Hiltz
The #1 Headband

Meh.

- I'm one of those people who get annoyed by other people who constantly play around with their cell phones,iphones, black berries,droids or whatever the hell else is out there.

... Now there's an iPad. Arghh! There's just too many gizmos available.

- If it doesn't fit in my pocket then forget it.

Quite frankly, I hate carrying stuff around with me. Heck, I hate carrying around my cell phone and car keys and there's no way I'm going to be carrying around a lap top let alone an iPad.

- Aside from the iPod craze (and I only have an iPod nano), I am compeletely out of touch and not the least bit interested in all of these fancy features that cell phones and iphones have. I don't care about surfing the internet, playing games, touch screens, taking pictures with a built-in camera or text messaging.

- Apps, apps, apps!

How many freaking apps are there now ?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #19
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I agree with Fiona on this leveling off of technology usage. I love my computer I wont lie, I'm going to go play TF2 after this post. Shit, I'm using the internet and PK right now obviously. I could have responded earlier, but my computer is at home. I'm at school. If I'm going to school, do I need to be able to access PK or Facebook to distract me? It's really turning into a loss of focus, patience, and privacy. With all this mobile connectivity, people are always multitasking. Texting while talking to somebody for example. Everybody is available at all times. If they don't reply instantly, then they are mad at you or didn't get the text. Everything is instant, and if it's not then its a problem or a fault. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, texting on the shitter, or when I'm at a friends house.

Do I really need to have a device that is always connected to the internet and runs thousands of apps and plays music and plays videos and I can read an ebook while I'm at it. Jesus, it's like a constant media clusterfuck in a handy dandy little tablet. Maybe I'm making the iPad a scapegoat for my frustrations with technology and such. But still, I feel that it represents a direction in which I don't think people need to go down. The one thing that really kills me is direct deposit and online banking. 80% of my income isn't tangible. It goes from one screen to another, paying bills, going into savings, all just numbers on a screen.

*continuing rant* And another thing! I'm taking this "Bible as Literature" class. like 6 out of 20-something people are using their laptops or iPhones as bibles. Just buy the god damn book! Steal one from a motel! FLIP through the pages, don't strain your eyes by staring at a screen 24/7. Jesus, even enjoy the things like the smell of an old book or the yellowing of pages.

One final thought. What happens when your battery dies? Your amazing little device becomes a coaster! HA!
Meatloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

I feel more or less the same way as Fiona. It's exceedingly weird for me since I'm a computer science major.

As far as the Ipad... apparently all you folks with an Ipod touch have the new Ipad nano

Also, closed tech == suck.

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote