Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > 2012 Hunters Contest
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 1st Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 13

Send a message via AIM to darkreaver Send a message via MSN to darkreaver
Default judge voting

sorry about the long wait...we'll do a quick and dirty mod judge panel to pick the winner.

Like before, each judge will rank 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place choices, which will be 1, 2, and 3 points respectively. the highest sum points will be the winner. only the 1st place will be awarded a trophy this time around.

judges:
--darkreaver
--Alucard1515

results:
Grieverjoe: 3 points
Fiona: 3 points
r@nd0m-lamb: 6 points

the winner is: r@nd0m-lamb

congrats! the prize is in the mail.

Last edited by darkreaver : 07-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.
darkreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515

Congratulations all that were even able to enter. :P It looks like you all put a lot of effort into your entries, and I think you would have placed highly even more people had entered.

Anyway, I'll just quick little critiques on all the entries and why I feel they placed the way they did.

3rd-Grieverjoe
It's a nice colorful entry, with interesting characters. I think as far as the character design portion of the contest, you did an excellent job. It also seems to fit the theme perfectly. For me, this entry didn't rank quite as high because of technical issues.

Overall, I think the issue of depth is what bugs me the most. You have selectively colored some of the lines and not others. Coloring the lineart is fine, but you have objects in the foreground with colored lines, but the cliffs still have a dark outline, which is counter intuitive to indicating depth. Also, maybe fading them out or adding some blue to them as they recede would help push them ack more. The guy gets a little lost in front of the cliff as he is mostly browns and neutrals in front of a similarly toned background element.

The characters also seem at odds to the depth you're trying to convey. The guy seems somehwat off and is maybe missing a shadow. If he's kind of up in the air and his shadow would fall in the same space as the creature's, then the dust cloud is misplaced. The main problem, though, is the girl. There is no way she should be in front of the creature. The creature is literally standing on the ground line, which means that this is at an extremely low angle, so these elements int he background should be much farther away than they seem here.

As a nitpick, the signature seems very distracting to me. Usually, it would be placed in a less prominent position and not right in the middle of the action.

2nd-Fiona
I feel bad giving you second place here, because I feel your entry is the strongest in terms of technique. It's beautifully and meticulously rendered in great detail, and I checked out your WIP thread, so I know you put a lot of thought into this as well.

I feel like you've done a better job of eliminating that plastic look by adding some texture to the piece overall, but it does still seem a little stiff, the hands in particular. I understand that all the elements have meaning, but I agree with Darkreaver in your WIP thread about the hummingbird. The other elements are subdued in the background, but the hummingbird is jammed in between them in a very distracting way, in my opinion. It seems odd to have them staring directly at each other, then having something break that up. Also, everything else, aside from the constellation, is perfectly symmetrical, which makes this element stand out way more than it should. I'm not super familiar with the myth (never heard of the hummingbird), but my understanding was the wolf was what was most associated with Romulus and Remus.

However, the main reason I placed this second was the theme and rules of the contest. I understand that you were doing something unique and different from a standard fantasy piece, and something like a character sheet doesn't make as much sense in this case, but it was part of the criteria. I realize you have sketches and a WIP thread, but they were just initial drawings of the final piece without any real deviation or exploration. Also, the relation to the theme, while I get what you were going for, is not as strong as the other entries.

1st-r@nd0m-lamb
Your entry I felt was the most on point to the parameters of the contest and the final entry. You did a great job not only designing the ships and the creature, but the composition studies are nice as well. I also like the rendering and color of the final piece.

I actually like the compositions from your studies more than the one used in the final piece. Even the final sketch, which is essentially the same, shows a little more of the creature. You did some interesting design work on the whale, yet in the final, it is missing a lot of these features, making it appear more bland. I also think the sense of scale is weaker than in the studies. In the first and second, the ships overlap the creature, which makes it clear that they are much smaller. I really like the second one, because the emerging from the clouds also evokes the feeling of an actual whale rising from the sea. Even with no direct overlap of the ships, the third one captures the feeling of depth as well. The foreshortening and atmospheric fading of elements helps a lot here. It still looks big in the final, just not as massive as it does in the others.

Also, this has nothing to do with scale, but it seems odd that such small ships would be harpooning such a large creature. Doesn't seem entirely plausible that they would be able to do anything besides being dragged through the sky once they hooked it.

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 1st Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 13

Send a message via AIM to darkreaver Send a message via MSN to darkreaver

congratulations to everyone who finished...if nothing, i think all of the entries show a lot of effort and skillful execution.

as reward i will rip your entries up ;D

3rd: Fiona

Comments: as usual, I think the art is very well executed, there is a great sense of design depite the realistic rendering. Unfortunately it is really difficult to identify the theme and story unless explained, which is compounded by the fact that Romulus/Remus are ambiguously identified as both hunter and hunted...it's possible to depict this, but it's doubly difficult to bring that across with just the image. Also, the character/concept sketch component is missing from the submission, but I'll let that slide =p

Critique: like i said, the designiness combined with the realistic rendering, works really well in this peice. I like the glitter/opalescent effect that you have on Romulus' and Remus' skin, gives it a surreal feel to it. my main gripe imagewise is how everything is so cramped together. there definitely is opportunity to have more space, to provide a bit of rhythm to the composition.

2nd: Grieverjoe

Comments: a really humerous take on the theme, and the story involved is clearly identified. The main things that keep it back are technical...i think some more time spent on polish would have helped this entry.

Critique: I thought that the character designs were good, and befitting of the silly story that you were going for, the composition and perspective ended up quite nice (I had some misgivings early in the process, which I never posted). my main issue of the final image is your treatment of outline. the lines are colored in the chicken monster, but are left black in other places...the cliff lines in particular stick out like a sore thumb. Small stuff like the lack of shading in the whites, lack of color change with distance, cast shadow consistency could have been addressed, and would have made it that much better.

1st: r@nd0m-lamb

Comments: clear theme and story, and I love the original designs of the sky whale and airships. The concepting was well done, it shows a broad consideration of composition before arriving at the final product. My pick for first place, because it most closely embodies the contest criteria, and well exectuted to boot.

Critique: the final image has a lot of good things going for it...i like how there's a contrast of texture, from the smooth metal of the ships, to the textured clouds, to the rubbery texture of the whale. And like i said, the designs are quite unique. however, i feel like some things were better in the concept images compared to the final image. the 4th panel in the concept for example I thought was better. for one thing, in the final whale design, everything is too rounded and large. in the concept, there were some areas where there were denser details in some places, and a different texture, the heterogeneity made for a much more interesting monster design. I also continue to think that a profile view of the whale would have made for a better composition choice. the perspective here feels forced, for lack of a better explanation.