Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > Epic Summer Contest
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: Who do think is the winner?
IAC 0 0%
Meatloaf 0 0%
Vajura 14 22.58%
jigokuen 9 14.52%
zen 0 0%
starvingartist 2 3.23%
IAC #2 0 0%
Cruiser18 3 4.84%
KurryChick 0 0%
Miss Wiggle 18 29.03%
muzzoid 5 8.06%
erq 1 1.61%
ssjmvegita 0 0%
DefaultJ!! 0 0%
darkreaver 9 14.52%
falmith 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
Kwiix
The Horror

Default Miss Wiggle Wins!!

[edit]

After adding up the judges votes and the public vote, here are the results:

1st place: Miss Wiggle
2nd place: Vajura
3rd place: darkreaver

I want to thank everyone that entered the contest. You've gained experience points which brings you that much closer to leveling up. Enter the next contest and you're sure to do even better.

I want to thank the four judges. You guys did a great job. Thanks again for the help.

And last but not least, I want to thank everyone that took time to vote for their favorite. It must be hard to just pick one.

Don't wander too far. Everyone should have a slight hint at the rest of this year's contest schedule. Be ready for some fun.

[/edit]

Judging:

There will be 4 judges that will vote for their top submissions. Like in the past, points will be awarded depending on how the judges rank them.

We will also let the public vote their one (1) top favorite submission. The public vote will count as one (1) judge. This will make the total judge count to 5.

Note: Judges cannot vote in the public poll. We reserve the right to change things if we need to.

Vote carefully because you can only vote for ONE submission. Remember to vote based on theme, skill, and creativity. Voting ends next Sunday, September 10th.

Tip: Clicking on the teams will take you to their submissions.

Feel free to critque the submission here in this thread.

Last edited by Kwiix : 09-11-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Kwiix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
muzz
karbogasm

i would prefer this if you "werent" allowed to vote for your own.

it seems stupid that you can vote for your own when somone honest may loose becasue they voted for somone else.
would that be possible before anyone votes.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

Do you really think one vote makes a big difference? When you total up everything here it still only counts as one "judge" vote.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
muzz
karbogasm

not really it was just a thought.

I guess ill do my critiques on all of em.
Spoiler:

iac #1
Well with this one i personly dont believe this is yor best work, your angle that you havw chosen doesnt show that much action, and the enemy fighters are just duplicated. the stars are all the same size and tone, its not that hard to make convincing stars, i find it best to do a small patch by hand, duplicate the layer, and then combine that layer, i repeat till i cover all my space, then going over with an eraser lightly you can make most stars dimmer.

also your not using line art so you have to show form properly, there should be no flat colours on the fighter, it should all be blended to a certain extent, also the concepts used arent that original and arent that exiting.

Meatloaf

my first thoughts were of how cool an angle you have on the zombies head, and you can see exactly whats happening, but then you look to the bg, and it doesnt really show a huge church building like i imagined, i just suggest choosing an angle for the bg that shows the size of the building.

his pose looks nice, but it just doesnt look "epic" to me, but goo job anyway.

my other crit is how you put highlights on the edges of the heros clothes, its not necessary, and doesnt add to the pic at all.

its a solid entry, well done

vajura

very nice, i like it and it is epic. but the thing is that you didnt clean it up, it looks very much like a speed paint, witch isnt bad but for a contest i imagine its best to have a refined image to the best of your ability. im just saying to try to spend a bit more time cleanig her up, even though its the most boring and tedious part its necessary.

i like this one a lot, but i would have prefered it more finished.

jigokuen

my first thoughts when seeing this was wow. in my mind this is the one i like best, it is the moodiest and is really easy to understand what is going on, you have acheived epic without overcrowding the pic with action, somthing i cannot do well. though i dont know why he is naked XD.

the only thing that i can see for you to work on is your rendering of rocks, somthing i cant do either.

very well done.

zen

im really not to sure you tried on this, but ill just say that you should just practice more, thats my only advice currently

starving artist

your skills are good, but i dont like the composition, you have the ships coming at us, there not attaking an enemy mother ship as described and the about of lasers just ruins the pic, its too busy and the viewer cannot tell waht is going on in the back gorund,

ill just have to say spend more time in the costruction stage, and maybey study composition of other epic pics.

you have the skills its just the rest that let you down.

iac #2

man why did you submit a speed poaint, this is even less refined than the first, my crits for this one are similar to the first.

spend more time on em.

cruiser

like i said in the thread for this, it is very good, im going to have to push the focal point thing again, you say that you want to show the whole battle, but if you look at almost all good images that show massive carnage ussually have one point that the eye is drawn to, yours how ever pulls the eyes to your boring ass walls.

you said in the thread that you arent painting the cruiser like ships because of how expensive they would be to paint, all i can say is what does it matter, that just sounds like an excuse to not colour em properly, having them properly done would improve this pic alot,
i really dont know what else to say becasue im not sure but good luck on future pics.

kurrychick

i havent seen any of your previous work so im not too sure on how to go about this one. all the colours that you have used are very saturated, this would be fine if you were trying to do a scene with happy bunnys and cute teddy bears, but your trying to do an epic underwater scene, everything would be dark, the lighting very eather all, and have all sorts of unseen creatures. any real shading is almost non existent and there isnt any disernable light source. my main thing i can suggest to you is to have a look at the speed painting thread and do some of those, get references on what your trying to do as well it will help immensly.

good luck.

miss wiggle

this is an amazing pic, but personly i dont think its your best, infact i like your latest speed paint a hell of a lot more.

i wont crit on technique becasue you pwn me at that, im just going to say somthing about the girl, she is an interesting character and all , but there is not much that links the glowing hands with the fire balls, unless i read the description i would not have a clue at what was going on, i would just think that she killed the man in front of her with the glowing hands without knowing her on power, nothing related to the fire balls in the bg.

muzzoid

i ain't critting my own XD

erq

looking at this i quite honestly just thought that it isnt anything special, it doesnt look epic, and it just looks like a warrior is coming home to a campfire on a foggy night. i know you have the skills, put em to good use and give us some eyegasms that i know you can do

ssjm vegita

very bold of you posting a pencil draing in a comp dominated by digipaintings. but even so i cant see anything in this pic that screams epic, the perspective is wrong and the bg just looks like somthing quick thrown together to give the girl a bg, the girl herself is holding a fire ball, but why isnt it obvious, she should be at least hold it in out direct line of sight.

im sorry man but set up uor perspective first then add the figures, this comp was about making an epic "scene" not a character that stands around idly holding a fire ball.

default j

why a comic when it was a scene competition?

well anyway. why does it look like a story board, and not a proper comic. i dont think i can crit this properly becasue i dont understand your motives.

darkreaver
now you of all people i was expecting some awsome perspective, but i guess i just didnt get that, there isnt much that is wrong with this pic, i especially like the shine on the floor, but this like a few other submissions doesnt seem epic to me. it just looks like a young egiptian boy escaping from some guards.

well any way im always look for your submissions becasue they are ussually awe inspireing, guess i was a bit dissapointed this time.

yay last one

falmith

another one that i would have to say has an awsome idea, but it just hsant been cleaned up, this looks like a speed paint, and from your comment it probobly is,

just spend more time on em is my only advice.

well there my crits hope the help somone, and if you dont like what i said, go suck on a lemon and look at the judges crits instead :P.

Last edited by muzz : 09-04-2006 at 04:14 AM.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
zen
Hello moto

Default me vote

i voted muzzoid, i think its the most epic space battle there.. i liked wiggles alot 2 :p
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

have the fill in judges been informed yet?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Noir Proxy
My jinx is occupied!

Send a message via MSN to Noir Proxy Send a message via Skype™ to Noir Proxy

Wiggles has my vote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Scortator
Karbonite

I'm going for Wiggles too. I think it was the most original drawing there, but I also really liked Darkreaver's Great Hall. It was a close call:p
Scortator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
jt4470
Karbonite

This was why I didn't enter. I'd have no chance in hell. Great job people.
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Darkferret
still procrastinator

Send a message via AIM to Darkferret

there were some great submissions but this battle scene got me goin so i picked it...

old ones ^
Darkferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
Abe
0x6c 0x6f 0x6c

I had a hard time deciding, but then I decided on the one that IMO best pictured the scene and added its own feel, great submissions by everyone
Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #12
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

Oh man, i was right on the line between jigokuen and vajura but....

the intense red and sketchy look together forced my hand to vote for vajura....

jigokuen, your background was breathtaking, but the piece didnt have the epic feel... if you understand what i mean..
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #13
*_*flashies*_*
Sex?

Send a message via MSN to *_*flashies*_*

I was just about to vote for muzzoid... he put so much effort into it I feel bad.. Its really good too . But I couldnt resist voting for Wiggle, I love the story behind it, and the colours. It truly feels epic.
*_*flashies*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

Great work guys, well, everyone gets to know what I thought. If anyone has a bone to pick, send me a PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Krasterk
...Long Live The Code

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '06 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Krasterk

I voted for Vajura. Awesome colors. The blood red sky, the flames, the bodies, the castle, it all has that apocalyptic mood that the description had. A lot of depth to. And simple but cool character design for that main guy.
Miss Wiggle's awesome to, i mean all your art is usually like the definition of epic =) But i just wasn't really sure of what was hapenning in this pic until i read the description in the Finished Art section. I really thought the ash on the ground was actually water and that the character was floating on some debris or something so i was kinda confused. Yes, i guess i am pretty stupid, heh. But now that i understand it, well it looks just amazing, the glowing arms, the fireball, the sky, everything.

Krasterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #16
swords
aka Legend

vajura has my vote and i would have voted for u 2 muzzoid but im only allowed 1 vote but alot of good entries guys awesome work all of u.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
malignant
adj; Harmful, malevolent

I think that regardless of following the criteria to fine point or not, Wiggles piece truly made me feel as if I was looking at the aftermath of an epic, and decissive battle. The artwork was fantastic, and the emotion, IMO was unrivaled in all of the others. Some of them were outstanding, and between them I would have a hard time deciding, but Wiggle, I'm damn impressed.
~Malignant

~Malignant
malignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
Zabur
Prince of Treachery

Send a message via ICQ to Zabur Send a message via AIM to Zabur Send a message via MSN to Zabur Send a message via Yahoo to Zabur

Go wiggles!

My Space Page.
Zabur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #19
Shadow Dweller
On the rocks

hmm i haven't been very active lately... but i just couldn't resist voting! i agree with malignant; you can really feel the emotions in miss wiggle's piece.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Makkon
BRAINS

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 1

Wigglus-Pontificous=ownage
Makkon is offline   Reply With Quote