Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > Epic Summer Contest
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
Kwiix
The Horror

Default Judges' Voting Thread

** This thread is for the four judges only. All other posts will be deleted. **
Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

Took me 6.5 hours to analyze all these. -_- I'll remember this when you need volunteers next time. :P I get a bit tired towards the end, so the crits get shorter. Sorry.

Here goes (results in the end)

IAC - Space Battle

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 7

All the Space Battle scene elements seem to be in, the only thing that I'm doubting a bit is the "aliens attack the other fighters" part. I'm assuming the light crafts are those fighters, but without knowing the description I would never guess they're on the same side with the hero, as the crafts don't seem to resemble each other. The other reasons I didn't give full points for epicness are because there are lots of enemy crafts, but (without counting) I probably wouldn't use the word "hundreds." There could've been much more in the distance.. And finally, the picture doesn't have much depth, which eats up the epic effect in my eyes.

Skill: 6

I really like the composition, explosions and the black swarms of alien attackers. Those beams everywhere add to the atmosphere, too, it's a shame they appear quite 2D. Like I said, the big technical problem I'm having with the picture concerns the depth. The space on the background is almost an even mass of equal size stars. Some larger stars, nebulas, motherships or distant swarms of enemy ships between the foreground would've been really nice. I would've liked more dramatic lighting on the hero's ship and the mothership: in space contrasts are typically huge. I'm having some trouble figuring out where the main light source is, and I'm a bit sad you haven't used the thrusters, beams and explosions as obvious secondary light sources. :)

Finally, the mothership (especially the top of it) and the hero's ship look unfinished. Adding some shapes to the top of the mothership and just a hint of the shape of the insides of the triangular tunnels would've made it look more done.. And the hero's ship is just so big and eye catching part in the picture that I really would've liked to see more polishing.

All in all, when I squint my eyes everything looks ok, but seeing the picture as it is, I'm sure you could have spent a couple more hours on it to define everything some more and made a huge improvement.

Total: 6.5

Meatloaf - Demon Battle

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 5

The person getting shot in front doesn't look very demonic to me. Because he's presented so strongly in the picture, I find it a big issue. :| I'm not seeing the other hero, and if the red dim lights in the back are supposed to be the pulsating emergency lights, I would've liked the effect emphasized more. Although there are obviously demons in the background, there aren't masses of them, and they don't seem to be so fast moving that the hero would be in immediate danger. I don't feel the "total pandemonium". :(

Skill: 7

My favorite part in this are actually the blurry humanoid shapes in the background, they look really creepy to me. Not being sure of what I'm supposed to see in them makes my imagination run wild. The texture on the ground looks great. I like the gun and the hand holding it. Other parts of anatomy look a bit more vague, and the folds on the sleeve seem off: the blast probably shouldn't light the underside of the sleeve? The blast effect is very nice, and the lighting looks rather good. I think however, that the picture might have been stronger if you would've used the gun blast as a secondary light source, and used the red lights as primary. The white light just can't provide the same atmosphere that red lights could.

Compositionally I find this one a bit odd, as the hero is so close to the edge of the picture he doesn't feel like the main point of focus. Instead, the demon getting blasted seems like the main thing.. But the content doesn't really support this as he doesn't really look like the head of all evil or something.

All in all well painted, but some more planning of the composition (and well, more demons and stuff that was described in the text) could've added a lot more.

Total: 6.0

Vajura - Battle Aftermath

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 8

I like this a lot. The theme is handled very well, the atmosphere is just right. Some distant fires and perhaps some silhouettes of those lone survivors mentioned in the text could have made the battlefield appear even more massive.

Skill: 9

The burning piles of skulls/corpses look awesome. The color choices and lighting is good. My initial reaction was that the keep in the distance looks too undefined, but the blurriness probably adds to the pretty good depth you have going on here.

The smokes, especially on the left side could've definitely been more defined. I would've perhaps considered making the smoke darker and thicker when it gets higher; some good contrasts there might've made it less apparent that the bottom is much more detailed and interesting than the top, and enhanced how warm and bright the fires are. Great job nonetheless.

Total: 8.5

Jigokuen - Battle Aftermath

The reason for this low score is simply because this just doesn't feel epic at all to me. The character in front overpowers everything, and the battlefield itself is practically nonexistant: it's there if you start looking for it, but if you don't, you'll probably never even notice it. :( The landscape on the left looks suitable for the epic theme, and the sky looks good too, without those I would've gone for a even lower score here. The impression I'm left of this is more of a character piece than an epic scene. Thinking about the rule of thirds, the composition looks weird.. His head is so far on the right I get a feeling that there should be more space. If you would've added about 50% more space (more battlefield) on that side (and defined that battlefield more), this would've gone with the theme a lot better.

The composition really feels like you actually originally did the pic wider and cropped it for some reason. :x

Really well done. His chest is massive, and I think the position of the shoulder is a bit off, but human anatomy apparently doesn't apply to him anyway. :) Like I said, the composition feels very awkward to me, but you've used colors and contrast excellently.

Total: 7.0

zen - Space Battle

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 2

Sorry, but this doesn't look epic at all to me, and seems to skip most of the text description of the scene.

Skill: 2

It's pretty hard to tell what's in it because of the incredibly low contrasts, but for what I can see, the design for the hero's space ship looks ok. :)

Total: 2.0

starvingartist - Space Battle

OK, I have to admit it: I can't figure out what's going on in this. :( The feeling is quite epic however, with good depths and those beams all over the place. The colors give me a near psychedelic feel. :) The crafts on the foreground don't seem to be saving the day, they seem to be running away from the heat of the battle? :/ This just doesn't feel like the situation the text described. I'm giving this a five, because I think the epic part is with this even if it goes off the description.

Skill: 7

The ships on front look awesome. the effects look great, the depth is good and if that's the mothership on the right, it looks massive like it should. As a whole however, this isn't very coherent, like I said, I still don't get half of it. :(

If that's a star in the bottom middle, shouldn't about 75% of that planet in bottom left be in shadow?

IAC - Battle Aftermath

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 6

You got the setting right in this one, but this just doesn't look like the battle has just ended. Just adding some flames to the ground would've been enough, that flames on the sides look like lone campfires to me. This does feel epic in it's own way, but it feels more like the fireball guy is commencing a surprise attack against the shadowy figure in the bottom left, or something.

Skill: 6

This has lots of good stuff in it, but feels very rushed. The contrast of the main character against the light looks good, but that doesn't do justice to the fireballs. The skulls in the bottom look copypasted and don't blend well to the scenery above them. :/

Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

Cruiser18 - Military Battle

This is in my opinion one of the most creative entries. I really like the concept and design of the ships and the city, and the whole scene, and setting the villain and the hero inside the airship is a great idea. The fleet just doesn't seem unstoppable.. Taking out those 2 bigger ships would leave only some small cannon fodder. Adding one or two huge ships really close to the viewer like somewhere on the left would've made it feel more like the air is full of these things; now there's pretty much room and the situation doesn't look as desperate as it could be.

Skill: 8

I really love how you've rendered the ships, explosions and the towering city. The perspective just doesn't look right in my eyes. :( The middleground, the green part looks most off to me.. Is that a road or a river? -_- Anyway, near the city it doesn't get narrower, which makes it look like there's a steep downhill there or something. The waterfall on the left looks very sticked on, and comparing it to the vehicles in front, and taking into consideration how much further away it is, the vegetation surrounding the falls is humongous. The right side of the BG looks a lot better, despite the again awesome silhouette of the city on the very left. Adding a few more big ships would've made their course more clear, too.. Now it looks like some of them aren't going exactly in the same direction.

Total: 8.0

KurryChick - Underwater Environment

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 2

This is underwater, yes, but it's missing the epic part. And most of the stuff mentioned in the description. The view just doesn't take my breath away. :(

Skill: 3

The diver's ok, despite anatomy problems. The scene just doesn't have any depth in it, feels very flat.

Total: 2.5

Miss Wiggle - Battle Aftermath

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 9

If I would've ordered this, I'd be happy. The scale in this is just numbing. However, I would've liked to see at least another corpse (partially visible perhaps) somewhere in the foreground.. The field of skulls and general feel of numerous casualties are missing in this. The destruction in the distance is very apparent, but the fact that there has been a massive battle, not just a one person fireball mayhem could've been more clear.

Skill: 10

No doubt here, this is one of the best pieces I've seen from you. Looks awesome, it's subtle and detailed in the right places. The depth feels very real, and the composition is perfect. Great textures, the fireballs look very convincing and the burning hands effect is one of the best I've ever seen. And I love your color choices.

Total: 9.5

muzzoid - Space Battle

You skipped some details in the description, and I don't think there are hundreds of enemy ships, but you compensated that with your concepts and the environment making this feel quite epic. I think this works really well as a whole. I love how the mothership is obviously of the same design branch that the small spacecraft are. :)

This is a really good looking battle scene. I really like the lighting, contrasts and composition. The only thing lowering the score from perfect is in my opinion the effects: especially the explosions, they just look too solid to me.

erq - Battle Aftermath

I like the atmosphere in this. It feels epic, but again in a different way than it's supposed to. This gives me a feeling that the hero has just entered the arena and the keep in the BG is where the battle is awaiting. The fires just don't register to me as results of great destruction: where are the corpses? Or anything that'd show that there's been a huge battle? They look like fires on the hill, and I couldn't guess that the hero in front is responsible of them.

Skill: 8

This feels a bit unfinished to me. The hero and the helmet on the stick look very good. I also like the closest fire. The person sitting seems to be too small, the guy further away seems to be the same size in the picture? Generally, some more detailing and objects on the ground might've been enough to spice this one up a lot.

Total: 7.5

ssjmvegita - Battle Aftermath

Relation to theme, epicness, creativity: 4

This just isn't epic. It's obvious that the scene itself is not very important in this. :|

Skill: 4

The face is pretty, but the rest of the proportions look off. I'm guessing speed drawing? ;)

Total: 4.0

DefaultJ!! - Military Battle

Well, it does stay true to the description, and it's an approach I haven't seen before in these contests. :)

Skill: 4

It's not bad at all for a storyboard, in fact it's pretty cool. It's a genuinely entertaining entry in my opinion, but strictly artwise, I just can't give high scores. :|

Total: 5.5

darkreaver - Great Hall

I like this a lot. The scene itself is presented very well, it's proportions are definitely epic. I'm not feeling the hero's awe however, and there's nothing really implying that the evil guys are there for the treasure, and not just scouting. Also, the setting doesn't feel like an epic battle would ensue. Looks like the hero will rather wait until they split up and sneak up on them 1 by 1.

Skill: 10

Very impressive use of color and contrast. Composition is effective and I really enjoy the rough, yet defined brushwork. There's nothing technical whatsoever I see could whine about, so this deserves a 10.

falmith - Great Hall

I can't make out what the little things in the picture are. :( The statue looks cool and I like the rays of light.

Skill: 5

This just feels unfinished. :/

Total: 5.0

My top 3:

1. Miss Wiggle
2. muzzoid
3. darkreaver

I had terrible trouble putting Vajura's, muzzoid's and darkreaver's works in order, and I just had to drop one. :( Ultimately I decided to arrange them by the level they felt finished.

Great entries and a good contest, everyone.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
ShimmeringSword
KarbideRanger

First I would like to say that all who submitted did a great job, but there must be winners.

So here I have my top three and why they have made it this far.

Vajura:
The hero definitely fits the description I would think of, he looks tough but not invincible, making the feat he just completed epic in scale. You can tell there are masses of bodies out there, most of them burned. The perspective of the castle really makes the battle zone look huge, one more point to the epic ness. The heroes position and facing gives me the feeling that there is even more bodies to the right.The smoke could have been thicker but I wouldn't want that castle obscured, and the red sky shows there is a thick atmosphere regardless of the levels of black smoke.

-Very epic
-Spot on with description
-Great look

Miss Wiggle:
Very nice take on the idea, I'm not sure if the description you posted is supposed to be used to help you, but I've read it and I cant take that away.The scene looks epic in scale and what a young kid has just done is surely epic too. The summoning of a rain of fire is much cooler than the old days of the firey hand bleh thing (seriously said - creativity points to you). This piece is definanty the best looking in terms of detail so there are shallow minded points there.The only problem in this is that it looks more like this kid just destroyed the castle more than a horde of monsters but just because we cant see them doesn't mean they're not there or could have been completely ashed.

-Very epic
-High creativity
-Best Visuals

muzzoid:
In my opinion the best try at the space battle. I really wanted to see a lot of missiles exploding in a gundam Esq style, in yours that is just about to happen. The hero is definitely doing better than his team, without that he would just be another fighter out there, good job on that point. There is a lack of those hundreds of alien fighters but they do continue to spill out of the mother ship so once again who's to say they are not there inside. Very good job on the dust clouds, creativity points there.

-Great effort
-Epic
-Creative

And the placings go...

1st - Miss Wiggle
2nd - Vajura
3rd - muzzoid

Last edited by ShimmeringSword : 09-04-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

Wow...traum4 was pretty thorough in his analysis of each entry. Ill just state my top 3 and an honorable mention.

1st Place: Miss Wiggle
This entry is overall beautiful. I agree with traum4, this one of the best pics I've seen from you, the colors give a nice chaotic mood without making the painting messy. The composition is nice and kept me interested for a good while, finding subtle details here and there. It also has that loose feel to it which is very characteristic of your style.
On the down side, the scene is missing a few parts of the description, this looks more like a personal, one on one battle was going on and not the clash of massive armies. That would be my one nitpick.

2nd Place: Darkreaver
This was a first place worthy entry too. Superb use of colors and light, the hall feels huge and there is a certain tension in in the scene. However, the pic could've done with a little more detail to emphasize the action going on. Also, and although i did mension the scene had tension, I dont feel the bad guys are all that bad, they look more like they're minding their own business and the hero is simply being cautious. Just minor things i noticed could've been improved, but the pic is nothing short of epic.

3rd Place: Vajura
I actually like this pic's scene the best. I felt it portrayed the description almost exactly as it should. The predominant reds make the whole thing look eerie, the rising smoke and burning fires, the scattered skulls and corpses, everything just screams out Battle Aftermath.The figure in the foreground is very well done and it fits the scene nicely. Everything just goes together really well.
The down side I saw in this was the lack of polishing. The background particularly looks a bit rushed and would look so much better with a lil more brushwork. Same goes for some of the corpses and swords and stuff thown around the on the ground, just a tad more brushwork to make it look more polished.

Honorable Mention: Muzzoid
I had a hard time bumping this entry out of the top 3. It was very epic, there's a lot of action and emotion in it. The way the space station is not horizontal makes it look like it floats in space, and the 'ground' its built on also looks very outer-space-ish. The ship designs are nice and the the perspective issues are small enough as to not detract from the pic.
I basically left this one out because of 3 things:
-Focal Point and Details: there are some details in it, but I felt my eye wandering around because they are too disperse and I ran out of stuff to keep me interested in one spot. I guess you could call this composition.
-Completion: some parts look a little rushed, I dont know if this is a cause or a consequence of what I mentioned before, but it did take the "awesomeness" factor down a notch in my opinion.
-Texture: the whole environment i which this takes place allows for more variety in the textures, rock, metal, fire, dust, etc and I just dont see much of it. This is just a nitpick to keep in mind for future works, it could've really helped this pop.

Amazing jobs all four of you. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Sev
ಠ_ರೃ

Okay, traum nailed each one on the head I like what he said about all of them. As the previous two did I'll mention my top three. In no order at first.

Vajura-
I like this one, it shows there was a huge battle moments ago. You did make it seem like its the end of the world for those guys. I do have a few nitpick's if you will. The guy's left arm (the one with the fireball) (its our left as well) seems a bit out of proportion. To me it just seems like its not part of his body to me. Also the small piles of "skulls" on the lower right hand corner of the drawing, I can't make out if thats a hand or a piece of wood sticking out of the skulls. It's hard for me to really tell.

Miss Wiggle-

First off I really enjoy your work, and in this piece your skills really shine. Before I begin I have a question, not sure how youd answer it tho. But what is the big hand in the background suppose to be? I like how the "hero" isnt one of those big muscular badass looking person. This hero, people can relate to more. He's facial expression gives me the impression as tho he's done something he thought he wasnt going to be able to do. I would of liked to of seen what the "king" looks like. Theres not really much I can say that hasnt already been said. You missed a few things from the description. The hands to me, from what i can see is a bit off. Thats about it from me.

And finally

DarkReaver-
I chose this because to me, the hero seems like he just realized what he just got himself into. like an "oh crap" deal. You probably should of thrown some shade work onto the heros sword. It really sticks out from the rest. If there was light in the area, the hero should have SOME light as well. The whole drawing to me says that prince of persia was an influence. Which I could be wrong tho. Thats just the impression i get at first glance. As mentioned by traum, theres no indication that the orges are scouring for treasure. and that theres really no show of an epic battle coming up. Now that I think about it, you can look at this picture two ways. one being as its being seen now, before the hero jumps in and attacks. Or you can look at it as an aftermath of the "battle" and the hero is just trying to get away. I mean the description can be misleading now that I re-read it.
it says the hall lies in ruin maybe from the battle the hero escaped? holes from the roof from the said battle? and the soldiers scouring the area as a POSSIBLE area for future raids. those are other things to consider.

all things said. Here are my choices.

1st. Miss. Wiggle
2nd. Vajura
3rd. DarkReaver

also congrads to the other participants. you all did a good job! I hope to be able to an oc with all of you if i can get a wacom.

Last edited by Sev : 09-05-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

I would like to thank all the judges for doing an awesome job.

Now we just have to wait for the public poll to finish so we can crown the winners.