Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #201
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I never really noticed the subtle transparency on the dress, that looks really neat. The hands look really nice, too.
There's something about the eyes that kinda bother me. They look a little too sharp in contrast to the rest of the picture.
Really liking the rainbow effect on the cape.
I also love your WW2 character doodles.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #202
djizomdjinn
night painter

Probably use of black on the edges around the eyes when a dark or even medium brown will do. I've been trying to cut down on the use of pure black in my paintings since it's so powerful; often too powerful.

Expanding little tiny thumbnail face into face study. I could paint faces all day. Faces are fun.

...I really ought to work on everything else I suck at. Like backgrounds. And painting mechanical stuff instead of drawing it. And dramatic lighting. And composition in general.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #203
djizomdjinn
night painter

Color exploration study. I think I need to do more of these.

Also repainted that lobster mermaid painting I'd done a while back, after Wacom's Level Up contest inspired me to look back at stuff I could polish.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #204
djizomdjinn
night painter

Haven't done any mechanical stuff in ages.

Gun design itself is nothing special, but the approach is somewhat Feng Zhu-inspired.

Thumbs because I don't do enough of them.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #205
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

That's a pretty kick-ass sci-fi version of a centaur.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #206
Campside
Karbonite

Yeah, the centaur design is awesome! I like how its design is modeled after boston dynamic's BigDog. Do you have any Feng Zhu video's you'd recommend? I was thinking of studying his lectures again.

Last edited by Campside : 01-10-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #207
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

BigDog, yeah!
I like that gun, too
Old 01-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #208
djizomdjinn
night painter

Campside: Any of his environment tutorials, the tutorial on his digital "marker"... any of them really though. About the only ones I can't really recommend are his humanoid characters; I feel there are a lot of people who do them far better and have better processes for designing outfits, stance, etc.

These design iterations are pretty meh... but at least they're something instead of the utter crap I've been churning out on my weekends.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #209
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

If its any consolation. the rendering is nice. The first one is nice and full of character. Seems like a reasonably complete design to me.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #210
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Agree with John. I like the left one better.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #211
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

The more i think about designs, i think the little details are the best. its probably why i liked the grey scale one as it was full of minor details and felt complete. Hell, sometimes to flesh out a character i would add items or patterns on clothes. Its what i recently had planed to do with my current piece. if i ever get round to actually bloody starting.

the grey scale one needs a cowboy hat and she could be a sassy bandit or a cowgirl heroine in some anime. If she smiled maybe. I dunno.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #212
djizomdjinn
night painter

More water and sheer because I love painting water and sheer. Just a rough speedpaint though. Colors don't feel right.

Game dev... did not happen at all. I swear work is sapping all my will to stare at a screen after work; only art and games keep me at it because both of those are fun. And I don't find nearly enough time to do even semi-fleshed out things like this, most of what i draw are crappy doodles.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #213
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Drawing crappy doodles is better than not drawing at all.
I think the colors look a little too saturated for the setting, so maybe try dulling them with some grayish blue, or green to fit the scene?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #214
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

I do like the last pic. Looking at the image none of the colors on the pic it doesn't look bad at all to me. I mean, they're not like several degrees too away tonal range wise.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #215
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

I like the mood you have there. I think the colors look strange because we can see the local colors of the girl very clearly but everything else is tending more to the color of the light source/atmosphere even though it doesn't look like the girl is receiving more light than the trees behind judging from the water (it looks like an overcast lighting setup). Barring a very conscious design choice, the local color/light source color balance is something that you have to keep very consistent through out the image or it will start to look like they're not in the same environment. like joe pointed out I think you can make the bright local colors more muted and shifted slightly towards the color of the atmosphere, which in this case is blue. as a sketch though i'm really digging it. Keep up the drawing you're doing good
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #216
djizomdjinn
night painter

Thanks guys for the color crits, color is something I've been trying to get a handle on.

@ast: When doing a straight to color painting, do you do local colors first and then tint for atmosphere / light, or do you sort of mix it in your head and apply it then?

...wait a second. Didn't I buy a tool... muzz's tool in fact... to do this sort of thing?

Whoops. Anyways.

So, I found an art livestream with live crits... Trying to get something ready in time for stream to be crit is actually quite the motivator it seems. Hoping it stays that way.

It certainly didn't hurt that I essentially had two days off this week.

Also more sheer because more sheer.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 03-06-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #217
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Quote:
@ast: When doing a straight to color painting, do you do local colors first and then tint for atmosphere / light, or do you sort of mix it in your head and apply it then?
You can do either, really. If you need to finish something fast and you're confident of doing it in your head right away then you can skip the step, if you want to be really precise then you should sort out the local colors first.

And yes, I still find Muzz's tool really useful for getting the initial block in down really fast.

For the boy in the town at night, I think you need a clearer separation of your light and shadow values. lit areas should be lighter in value and more saturated than the unlit areas for it to read as being in the light, but in yours the highlight value and the shadow value of the boy's shirt is almost the same. The moonlit areas are also almost as bright as the lantern lit areas, when I think the lantern lit areas should be brighter because of its proximity and the relative weakness of the moonlight. Otherwise it has a nice palette and composition. Loving the variety of materials and the design of the character too.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #218
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

I see what Ast is saying about the values. I get that it's supposed to be night, but everything seems really really bright.
The second character makes me think of Jareth, The Goblin King, haha.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #219
djizomdjinn
night painter

Made myself a very simple new brush, and I'm loving it.

I think I'm getting a better handle on lighting and material identities... at least to some extent.

Also these are done straight from colored silhouettes with a bare minimum of sketching. I mean, not that there's anything wrong with sketching, but I like to think it's a sign that I'm confident enough now to just push raw forms back and forth.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #220
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

I'd love to fan-art some of these :o