Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Noadi
Shamaness

Send a message via AIM to Noadi Send a message via MSN to Noadi
Default Drawing materials

I wrote this blog as the first part of a set of tutorials on drawing, you can find it here http://noadi.blogspot.com/2005/01/dr...materials.html

Please let me know if you find it helpful, I'm not really a tutorial writer.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
tokenblackguy
Hurp Durp

Send a message via Yahoo to tokenblackguy

tx for the tut/blog Noadi...it was helpful, cuz I have a bunch of stuff I need, and pretty much everything I've been looking for yu have listed, and a place to buy it.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Noadi
Shamaness

Thanks for the feedback Token.

If you have any questions about anything in there, please ask. This is really a rough draft of what I hope will be a more extensive tutorial.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Naota
Karbonite

I have some drawing tools, different shades of pencils (4H - 8B) and a circle template (which I lost). I'd like to buy some more drawing equipment, but it can be so expensive. *hint* *hint*
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Noadi
Shamaness

http://dickblick.com has excellent prices on the stuff you can't find anywhere but an art store like blending stumps, erasing shields, charcoal pencils and the nicer papers.

A lot of things you can find at stores like Walmart. The office supply section has printer paper, rulers, pencils, geometry sets (though you're more likely to find those when they have the school supplies out in the fall), pencil sharpeners, and lead refills for mechanical pencils. Tissues, cotton swabs, and paper towels can be found almost anywhere. Felt, cheap paint brushes, stencils, colored scrapbooking papers (acid free) and sometimes lightboxes can be found in the craft section, if you're lucky it will also have some drawing supplies so you can pick up a few things like kneaded erasers and cheap sketch pads (again acid free). Hardware will have masking tape and sandpaper. Plastic storage bins can usually be found in the household section.

By the way you can improvise templates by using household objects, cds, drinking glasses, jar lids, bottle caps, etc can be used for circles, anything with a hard straight edge like a hardcover book can stand in for a ruler as long as all you need it the straight line (when I was in highschool I used to use my textbooks). I'm always just grabbing the nearest object the right shape when I'm drawing.

Now that I'm an adult with a checking account I can order supplies from art stores but when I was younger I had to find all my art supplies where ever I could because there was no art supply store nearby so I've learned to improvise a lot. I swear if you can improvise something for drawing purposes I've tried it.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Noadi
Shamaness

http://noadi.blogspot.com/2005/04/to...ng-in-ink.html
Wrote up a quick overview of inking materials. Nothing much but I'm going to be writing some tutorials on drawing so I need to cover everything I use.