Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #121
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreaver
depict what kind of internal organs might be in it, or skeletal structure/muscular system.
This is kind a hobby of mine. I usually don't draw them just invent new kinds of metabolism and try to fit it onto a creature. I'm in.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #122
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 13

Send a message via AIM to darkreaver Send a message via MSN to darkreaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Chris
Started reading this thread at page one and all of these suggestions seemed great. Some other ideas:...
you think a lot like me =D also I had totally forgotten about those old ideas. also welcome back to the forum!

thinking about some animation ideas:

--effect animations: explosions, splashes, smoke, in context (say, a wax statue melting, a building exploding)
--storyboard animation: instead of worrying about frame count, animate scene to scene over ~1-2 minutes. maybe set this to background music, but maybe it's already too involving.

winter holidays are coming up...ideas:

--holiday special remake: something for the writers: take a common holiday special (e.g. how the grinch stole christmas, rudolph the red nosed reindeer), and re-write the story but still make your inspiration recognizable. the goal would be to create a summary of about 1 page in length. maybe as a collab, also include an illustration or a comic of a scene from your remade story.

--the weather outside is frightful: environment study, depict some extreme weather conditions(blizzard, torrential rains, sandstorm). maybe even extend this to fictional conditions.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #123
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

Epic Boss Battle

Your employer wants you to design the final level of their newly developed game, all with the setting and boss and genre, everything is up to you.

What you may win: A badge (as usual) +everything lamb has in his left trouser pocket right now (to be revealed together with the results).

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #124
djizomdjinn
night painter

That one actually sounds pretty neat. I'd totally do that.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #125
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Come on. It has been forever since we had a contest. Me and djizomdjinn want that epic boss battle. I bet we could muster up some decent turnout.

Spoiler: There is currently € 1.05 in my left pocket right now.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #126
djizomdjinn
night painter

If you guys want a Christmas-themed contest idea...

The New Help

The reindeer are too sick (or drunk) to pull the sleigh this year, so Santa has to look for a form of alternate transportation.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #127
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Where Aren't They Now

Task: re-imagine an old cartoon/literary/mythological character.

Points will be awarded according to:

- originality of the subject matter
- originality of the final product
- execution

Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #128
wolfnoom
Karbonite

oh will this challenges go on or just ideas for now?
wolfnoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #129
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

There is nothing right now which I would like more than holding a new PK contest, but there is not enough activity on the board to get a solid turnout. The mods probably know that, so hence, no contests for now. And possibly not ever.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #130
Maat22
Karbonite

Thats really sad about the contests. I loved to see how those played out and that boss battle idea is pretty freaking awesome.... I wanna do it!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #131
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Well, there's nothing that says we can't hold our own contest, without mod intervention. It'd be sorta like a challenge thread or a sketchbook exchange, except with multiple people working off one idea, and other people rating the work.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #132
X Chris
Untitled Document

Send a message via ICQ to X Chris Send a message via AIM to X Chris

I wouldn't mind regular official contests again, even if the turnout was low-frequency. pK isn't the same without them, and there are some great ideas in this thread. They provide a decent challenge to draw outside your comfort zone (and to a deadline).

mods: even if participation was low, would holding contests again be such a bad thing?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #133
Espresso
best served delicious

Just let the contest run until X number of submissions exist and Y number of votes have been entered. Life often gets in the way, and a forum is asynchronous communication anyway.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #134
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Victorian Sci-Fi Contest '08 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 1st Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 

x chris: nothing wrong with it at all. unfortunately, I haven't been on the forum enough to really handle it anymore. looks like like r.lamb has taken it into his own hands, which i'm fine with.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #135
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase

rejected princesses:

http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/

women from history, fiction or mythology given the "disney princess" treatment.

or maybe the opposite: taking existing disney princesses and depicting them in a more historically accurate/story accurate manner.

Last edited by darkreaver : 09-07-2014 at 05:04 AM.
darkreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #136
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Ooooh. This is amazing. I like the first idea.

I am thinking of spicing the future contest up a bit. Would you guys be ok with people from outside this board participating?

The upside is the turnout.

The downside is the fact that we are all friends here and stuff and this is our board and things and yes.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #137
djizomdjinn
night painter

Absolute worst thing that could happen? A bunch of annoying rude people come onto the forum and you mods get extra work chastising/banning them all.

I'm cool with it. Seeing more people's art is always nice.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #138
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase

lamb: well, they could always..join our forum =p where are these people that you have in mind coming from?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #139
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase

Haven't got anything particular in mind, but even advertising it on my facebook page may lure someone.