Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #61
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
Second what Djinn said, though I will admit I'm sort of guilty of not doing that myself.
I did a figure drawing course a couple years back, and one time we had to do a figure study for 5 hours, so give that a shot, maybe? Set a timer, and if you can't complete it in one sitting, record your time, but spend at least 5 hours on it.

Your portrait study with the block brush looks very nice.
Thank you. I'm going to do longer studies next time instead of my usual one or two hour sessions.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #62
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Sorry for the lack of content on this thread. I'm feeling down in the dumps as of late, job wise. Just depression. Have a digital painting art process video that I did for my RP blog.

Last edited by Ninja-J : 12-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Ninja-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #63
djizomdjinn
night painter

How to say this delicately...

I feel your studies and your paintings are two different worlds. Like you've sat down, gone "this is a study to improve!" or "this is a painting for fun". And there doesn't feel to be all that much overlap between the two, which to me is a bit baffling. So you've done all these grayscale studies and still life and portrait studies and paint instead of lineart. What's the point of studies if, when you get "serious", you throw that out the window and fall back to the same way you do things before?

Like that highlight line on top of the lip and the eyes. It doesn't make too much sense for the eyes, and none at all for the lips, but I see it all the time in your paintings... when it doesn't show up in your studies. Which says to me you've picked up a bunch of bad shortcut habits that you need to break first.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #64
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
How to say this delicately...

I feel your studies and your paintings are two different worlds. Like you've sat down, gone "this is a study to improve!" or "this is a painting for fun". And there doesn't feel to be all that much overlap between the two, which to me is a bit baffling. So you've done all these grayscale studies and still life and portrait studies and paint instead of lineart. What's the point of studies if, when you get "serious", you throw that out the window and fall back to the same way you do things before?

Like that highlight line on top of the lip and the eyes. It doesn't make too much sense for the eyes, and none at all for the lips, but I see it all the time in your paintings... when it doesn't show up in your studies. Which says to me you've picked up a bunch of bad shortcut habits that you need to break first.

I understand. Thank you for your honestly. I'll make more time to put in more studies after work and won't slipped up again.

Last edited by Ninja-J : 01-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #65
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Current extensive study in progress. (WIP)

Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #66
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Update: Part 2 WIP

I didn't use any blending/blur brushes. This is strictly done with a block brush and playing around with opacity.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #67
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

When doing values studies, I've found that it helps to squint to really help group your values.
As it stands, the study is very good, but only slightly off to the point that it doesn't read as the model. For example, the shadow on the side of her nose is very subtle in your reference, but very strong in your study. This gives the appearance of a stronger nose, and breaks the likeness. Same with the shadow on the side of her face. In the reference, it's darkest by the cheekbone, and then subtly tapers off at the cheek, yet you've extended it all the way to her jaw. Go ahead and squint at the picture and you'll see what I mean.
Overall, though, don't get discouraged. Constant practice is how we all improve!
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #68
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieverjoe
When doing values studies, I've found that it helps to squint to really help group your values.
As it stands, the study is very good, but only slightly off to the point that it doesn't read as the model. For example, the shadow on the side of her nose is very subtle in your reference, but very strong in your study. This gives the appearance of a stronger nose, and breaks the likeness. Same with the shadow on the side of her face. In the reference, it's darkest by the cheekbone, and then subtly tapers off at the cheek, yet you've extended it all the way to her jaw. Go ahead and squint at the picture and you'll see what I mean.
Overall, though, don't get discouraged. Constant practice is how we all improve!
Thank you, Joe. :-)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #69
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Background studies from greyscale to color. I meant to ask, but do you put in every single detail in the picture or work large to small?

No blending or blur brush used. The only brush that I have used is the block brush and playing around with opacity.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #70
Ninja-J
Karbonite

A pile of gestures/expressions/anatomy/faces studies from January 2017.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #71
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Last edited by Ninja-J : 04-01-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #72
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Tonight's warm-up studies. Sorry for the lack of updates, but I'm just busy nowadays.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #73
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

Nice gesture drawings and studies
Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #74
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwee dee(3d)
Nice gesture drawings and studies
Thank you!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #75
Ninja-J
Karbonite

WIP on a study I'm currently doing. I spend an hour and a half on this before getting ready for bed due to my work shift tomorrow. For this, I used a crayon brush and then a low opacity block paint brush for blending in the shading. I'll post the next progress tomorrow.

Last edited by Ninja-J : 04-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #76
djizomdjinn
night painter

Pretty good, but I think you're still reliant on thinking in line and then coloring it in. For example, one buttock is lit from the viewer's perspective, the other is lit from both sides and is shadowed from the viewer. And a few areas like the upper back are more line than value.

Consider whether every line you see in your painting is a line that actually exists (and is thus a very area of value), or is a line drawn because you need help differentiating your values.

(from this very excellent painting tut)
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #77
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
Pretty good, but I think you're still reliant on thinking in line and then coloring it in. For example, one buttock is lit from the viewer's perspective, the other is lit from both sides and is shadowed from the viewer. And a few areas like the upper back are more line than value.

Consider whether every line you see in your painting is a line that actually exists (and is thus a very area of value), or is a line drawn because you need help differentiating your values.

(from this very excellent painting tut)
Very helpful advice! Thank you for the critique!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #78
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Next WIP study and it involves with backgrounds this time. I'll update it tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Also, I wish those spam bots will go away. It's annoying as hell. :-/

Last edited by Ninja-J : 05-10-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #79
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Back to the Basics (1/10)

Old Today, 07:30 PM   #80
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Hand Studies!