Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 
Total Awards: 2

Default Perspective Tutorial

Some people have been asking me for perspective tutorials... Well, this is what I've come up with so far.

I'll outline the basics plus some tricks and tips on Isometric, 1 Point perspective, 2 point, 2 point vertical, 3 point, and MAYBE 4 and 5 point.

Here's the first part of 1 point perspective.

Tell me what you think! Any additions/changes?

The next part of 1 point I'll cover is the building of basic shades, plus adding details, thicknesses and such.

MAYBE if you gyus want more indepth, cast shadows in perspective too.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I would like to see high and low angle perspective, especially on people. Maybe do some 2 point perspective too.

Another thing. Say if you have a long winding highway going down to the horizon, how would you do that? Curved objects in linear perspective, I guess I would label it.

Chop Chop! Get to making me more tuts >:]
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
jt4470
Karbonite

Nice!
I'd like a tutorial on drawing figures in dynamic forshortening and stuff...but I don't think that relates to this tutorial.
More like a figure drawing tutorial with forced perspective and forshortening...
I dunno.
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

great tut, im gonna be using this one in the future. i need to work on drawing buildings and such in perspective but i hate how monotonous it is. cant wait for the update

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Toffeeliz
coffee monster

Send a message via MSN to Toffeeliz

great tuorial - can see that there is a heck of a lot of work going on in here. Def. on my reference list that's for sure!!!

*ninjas run up from behind you and steal your artistic talent* hobbits no longer has my prrreeccciiious!!!!
Toffeeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
DutchDevil
Karbonite

this is relly nice! it makes very mutch things clear to me, and i am certainly going to make use of this tutorial! thanks!!

DutchDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b

I had been thinking about doing one of these for a while, but I was way too busy/lazy.

There are a lot of people who struggle with perspective, and for a long time I have just been telling them to study perspective without actually guiding them anywhere. Now, thanks to you and this fantastic tutorial I can just refer them to this thread.

I think this is one of the better tutorials I've seen on this board, the presentation is really neat. If you cover the 2 and 3 point sections as well as you have with 1 point perspective, then this will be a tutorial worthy of worship.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Lancer.Evox.2k
Suicidal Teacher ~♪

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Lancer.Evox.2k Send a message via MSN to Lancer.Evox.2k Send a message via Yahoo to Lancer.Evox.2k Send a message via Skype™ to Lancer.Evox.2k

Awesome tut far... :O
I was thinking of making a perspective tutorial for the longest time, but I think you will do a better job than I will. Now I don't have to worry about it :P
BTW, I bow to your traditional inking skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo09
You should stay away from drawing PK stuff...It is not healthy

Deviant Art PK Sketchbook Lancer vs. Ixion MH Videos TailWhip

Join the DA Chat biznitches!

Lancer.Evox.2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
*_*flashies*_*
Sex?

Send a message via MSN to *_*flashies*_*

This thread really deserves more views - really useful tutorial. It helped me out quite a bit and was easy to read through (plus neatly set out ). Very nice indeed .
*_*flashies*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
erq

Send a message via AIM to erq Send a message via Yahoo to erq

Oh yeah, that curved road is easy, but once you throw in hills, it gets a bit harder. Also try explaining the lighting on two point interiors, thats kinda difficult. If you need help with 4, 5 and 6 point I got ya back =]. Awesome explaination btw. Keep going!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Threes
umop episdn

Send a message via AIM to Threes Send a message via MSN to Threes Send a message via Yahoo to Threes

how did you know i needed this today??

(part 2 is my idol now, thanks) i was totally going to ask about perspective of people who arent in a straight line and now i dont need to!!

thanks again
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Krasnoznamonec

PM me your adress and i shall send traditional finnish candy to you when i get around to the post office.

But considering how lazy i have become getting myself to the post office may take a while. As i already have promised to deliver similar payload(candy and self made card) to another member of this board and haven't been able to find appropriate time to get myself to the post office.

About Tutorial: Very clean and informative.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
McGarnacle
coins in a wishing well.

I only knew the basics of perspective! One and two point perspectives are easy, yet 3 and above are a hassle! Now, with perspective tutorial by jigokuen, I have full confidence, my cancer was healed, I'm a millionaire, and all the ladies love me! Thank-you, perspective tutorial!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b

I'll have to make a note to help Kras out, those candies look...interesting, lol.

"Aquired taste?" I think I can handle that.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #15
Krasnoznamonec

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1zz0b
I'll have to make a note to help Kras out, those candies look...interesting, lol.

"Aquired taste?" I think I can handle that.
Especialy if you look at the fact that one of the main ingridients isn't something you would eat in it's normal form. I'm speaking of Ammonium Chloride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Ingestion: Induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.

Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move victim to fresh air. Seek medical help

Skin: Wash off with plenty of soap and water

Eyes: Flush eyes with plenty of clean water. Seek medical help.
About the taste of the candy. The closest i can tell about it is that for me it tastes like when dentist has it's metal tools in your mouth, lickerish and cough medicine. All of witch combined in one small package.

http://www.finnishfood.net/store/pro...eviews_id =39 you can buy finnish candy from here.

Also i'm not shure how the postal service works with sending food abroad so if it'll be to much of a hastle i'll just send a card with my apologies. :P

Last edited by Krasnoznamonec : 11-16-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 

Assuming you're NOT joking, I'm not sure I even want those candies within a 10 foot radius of me...
1) I hate licorice with a PASSION, 2) ammonium chloride, 3) I'm a wuss.

I got two more pages just dealing with people, and extreme foreshortening (faces) and i'm gonna do a third paged of a full process, from thumbnail to finished linework (and maybe into grayscale if I have time...).
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
Youandme
Windowlicker

Send a message via MSN to Youandme

thank you so much! i was wresteling with perspective today and i really have to get craking on buildings.

i dislike salmiak, it has the weirdest taste EVER, it's salt and sweet at the same time.My mom is rather fond of it though.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase

Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #19
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 

lovely ^^
Old 11-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #20
Krasnoznamonec

Quote:
Assuming you're NOT joking
I am not joking. I am being dead serious!.

Quote:
I'm not sure I even want those candies within a 10 foot radius of me...
I'm pretty shure you would accuire the taste.

Also your not the only one hating licorice around here. I hate that bitter taste with a passion. But add some ammonium chloride and it tastes like heaven. Well actualy it doesn't but it has special weird taste to it(totaly different from licorice). I've eaten enough of those candies to kill a bear. So there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

Also again a great update on tutorial. I was exactly stuck in figuring out how in the hell does one make a perspective drawing right from under the characters.