Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Keep plugging at it, you're getting better

Imo the pic suffers from the same problem- the point of interest is outside the window, but there is nothing of interest. If you can't fix that I suggest to just shift the focus back to the sniper.

You're more daring with your lighting though, that's good. Don't forget those delicious rim lights you can put on your sniper to imply detail and form.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
djizomdjinn
night painter

Thanks for the advice. Not sure how quickly i can act on it (last week of the quarter + finals week)

Superlight update due to the above. I promise I'll post my final project! (Due Thursday, so... expect it then)

A quick, possibly disturbing "self-portrait". (I am a guy).

If I posted this on a weapons forum or something, I think I'd get flamed into oblivion. Mk. 47 EBR.

EDIT: As promised, final project! Now to do more essays and crap....

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 11-10-2011 at 02:51 PM.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
djizomdjinn
night painter

Sketches when I should really be working on finals. Ah well.

...I have a habit of redesigning and redoing designs I really like. How many times can you count variants on this in this sketchbook thread alone?

EDIT: Tinypic lost this image, reuploaded.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 12-14-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #24
djizomdjinn
night painter

I had a weird dream where this guy in 9 ft. tall power armor somehow managed to noiselessly sneak up on me and knife me with something about the size of a machete.

Yay for suppressed belt-fed LMG. It's "stealthy", right?

Also I got so pumped up by the thought that a Fight Club I was participating in might start up again that I went ahead and redid my character.

As you can tell, I have found a new love for painting camo. The top is supposed to be custom tiger stripe with an ABU ammo carrier, and Captain Deuce is supposed to be wearing Multicam. Though I think it's too dark for Multicam...

Gah! I promise I'll go back to working on "Overwatch" and "Can I Keep Him REDUX" sooon!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Lonely Operator
call me D Wood

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Operator Send a message via Yahoo to Lonely Operator

Awesome job on the last two sketches! MK-46?

Keep up the creative flow, I like it. (Don't forget to render form before/after you do up the camo!)
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

The camo stuff is cool, but the guy on the bottom seems to have really scrawny legs.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #27
djizomdjinn
night painter

Lonely Op: Haha, thanks. Yeah, it's a Mk. 46, gathered from what reference I can find off the interwebs. I find this gallery very helpful. As for rendering form.... see the below picture. :P

Xion: I tried doing a sort of downward perspective, but I guess I exaggerated too much? Something for next time I guess.

An actual composition of that armor, and some testing of rendering the camo under different lighting conditions... didn't go so well. Thankfully they're on separate layers so I can try again later.

Something I dropped in the speedpaint thread.

EDIT: Tinypic lost this image, reuploaded.

Heraldry for Deuce's Crusader unit.

And another Overwatch composition test. Not so much overwatch now as random sniper in a building, but whatever. Shifted focus back to the sniper by rimlighting pretty much everything i could get away with.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 12-14-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

keep plugging at it, I can see some improvement already. Reffed studies at this point would help, I feel. It looks like you want to express so much but you lack the vocabulary and knowledge.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
djizomdjinn
night painter

The three new Angels vs. Demons prologue pages. Spoilered for space.
Spoiler:

Oddly enough, I DIDN'T spend much time designing equipment and stuff beforehand for these pages, unlike my previous habit of drawing up model sheets and whatever.

Time to fix that.

Shadow as she appears as an cameo/guest appearance in Angels vs. Demons. Tried to make her a lot more non-standard/special forces-like with the shemagh (though that's been part of her design for a while) and tomahawk, not to mention the Big Freaking Gun. Yay for the XM109 25mm "payload rifle", the recoil of which is described to be "beyond human limits".

Good thing Crusaders aren't completely human anymore.

Not quite done yet, though this was first intended to be a sketch. I liked it enough to flesh it out some more...

Also trying out value + silhouette first digipaints. So far, seems to result in less squiggly lines all over the place.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #30
djizomdjinn
night painter

@astrapho: Reffed studies, huh...

~1 hour reffed speedpaint.

Yay! Overwatch with actual overwatch involved. I noticed of late that my habit of starting on a 50% gray canvas is making all my compositions rather dark.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #31
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

I really like the angle and feel on that last one, with the Overwatching overwatching (lol) the buildings.
Also, as it stands now, it looks like a skeleton holding a rifle, which is always funny.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #32
djizomdjinn
night painter

Non-reffed piece trying to apply what I learned.

Quick environment study thing.

An idea.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #33
Lonely Operator
call me D Wood

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Operator Send a message via Yahoo to Lonely Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
Do more of these. This is exactly the direction you need to be heading, if you're as interested in technical "realistic" sci-fi type things. Studies, studies, and more studies! I like this last post a lot, man. Keep it up.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #34
djizomdjinn
night painter

@Lonely Op: Thanks, I'll try and do a few more of those soon.

Inspired by a photo of the waxing Earth from the Moon.

A much looser style throwing value into the mix much earlier than "after the lines are done". Also less rigid adherence to the stick figure skeleton, because i notice it throws me off sometimes.

Also land carrier. Just because.

Last edited by djizomdjinn : 12-23-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: okay. since tinypic seems to be deleting my images in violation of their own TOS, i'm moving to imgur
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #35
RetiredOldie
Biggu Bosu

Considering progress so far i give you 6 months till you're totaly awesome and ironed out the bigger flaws that plague your designs now. Talking about chicks here.

Defenetly good progress on faces. Things that i did notice is that your characters are eather extremely tall or skinny. Don't be afraid to widen the form and accentuate the hips a bit on the ladies.

Land Carrier is shit though.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

The land carrier kind of reminds me of a SC2 battlecruiser mounted onto a tank.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #37
djizomdjinn
night painter

Ouch. Harsh on the landcarrier. Don't know jack about warship design though so yeah.

Some armor.

Angels vs. Demons stuff.

Techmarine Terminator (Warhammer 40k). Because Techmarines and Terminators are awesome.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
djizomdjinn
night painter

Haven't had pencil sketches upped here in a while so... Two in-class boredom sketches. Which means proportions are probably off since I drew skeletons after finishing heads.

Something inspired by Redjuice's stuff. Particularly the dress (and how short it is).

Hourai. From Touhou.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #39
charmwitch
Karbonite

Send a message via AIM to charmwitch

Your mechas are really gorgeous, I love your body armor and machinery! You're very detailed oriented.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
djizomdjinn
night painter

charmwitch: Wish my faces were as nice, though, haha...

Hmm. Not really much to put in here lately other than AvD pages.

Speedpaints:

More overwatch.

Not really worth making a separate post for, AvD rifle concept. 'S not much more than a mashup of the SCAR, XM8, and a bit from the FAMAS.