Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 1st Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 13

Send a message via AIM to darkreaver Send a message via MSN to darkreaver
Default ideas for future contests

post your ideas for future contests here. you never know what might get picked =D
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 1st Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 

aw, don't be shy. here's some ideas that I had posted (relatively) recently in the mod's lounge:

Quote:
another idea...if any of you have read Calvino's "Invisible Cities," the contest would be to depict a fantastic city from the viewpoint of a traveler. that is, expanding or exaggerating a characterizing a property that you might find in reality into an idealized, dream city...maybe a bit too involving =p

or maybe just a 'stranger in a strange land,' depicting a traveler in a sweeping, unfamiliar world.

another environment contest idea: instead of a landscape or cityscape, maybe a contest about cloudscapes? focus on depicting expansive space and a sense of the gargantuan.
something I just thought of: design an alien character or creature, and depict what kind of internal organs might be in it, or skeletal structure/muscular system.

think about things that might be fun, or things that you want practice with. contests are a great impetus to try things that you wouldn't otherwise try.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Billov Send a message via Skype™ to Billov

Those are all really nice ideas. I think the alien creature one would get people thinking

But I'd probably do something for any of those. I'll try come up with some ideas tomorrow or something... rightnow its so late I thought that your avatar blinked darkreaver >_> You sure its not a GIF....

night.
~MyDevART don't expect frequent updates
~my weird music Latest track: Crayonbreath
Billov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
rag rappi
chirp....?

I didn't even realize this thread :p Here are a couple I just thought of.

1. Oxy moron: Make a picture were things aren't suppose to go together. EX: A scene of vampires sunbathing, or mechs going for a swim.

2. Dream match. Make a poster of 2 characters in different stories in an epic pic. Ex samus aron and master chief in a pic like http://www.sloneart.com/portal/image...ield_tyson.jpg or something.

I'll say more, but I gotta leave work now

Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy delicious!
rag rappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

I emailed Kwiix (btw where is Kwiix?) about a contest idea some time ago, we kinda tossed it back and forth and never really got anywhere with it but it might be worth some thought.

I thought a sort of speedpaint marathon contest might be cool. I thought of 2 possible formats:
A) Everyone has a few hours (around 6 I think would be plenty) to check the subject matter and produce a painting of the subject. This could be a cool activity to repeat... like maybe a month where this happens every sunday or it could be a one time thing too.

B) It could be a similar activity but instead of shortening up time it could a series of paintings over a time period of a couple of days.

The different paintings would be judged as a sets, and under normal judging criteria so as not to make an ordeal out of that.

The problem Kwiix found with it was the potential for cheating... using something you already had and what not, but posting the theme up until the very last minute might mitigate this in the A format. Haven't really thought of a 'fix' for that in the B format.

I also thought it could be interesting to have a 'make-over' contest, I noticed a lot of people like doing those in Sketch Exchanges and other such threads. Mods could post a picture of a character, an object, a scene, even a short sequential and entrants would have to redo it to their own version. This last one just occurred to me, I havent thought it through,
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
afroXcore
Not here, not now.

Send a message via AIM to afroXcore Send a message via Skype™ to afroXcore

i'm going to suggest an old art assignment i got in high school:

Conveying motion in a single image. Image can be about anything, but must provide the feel of movement.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 2

I like guns.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaf
A) Everyone has a few hours (around 6 I think would be plenty) to check the subject matter and produce a painting of the subject. This could be a cool activity to repeat... like maybe a month where this happens every sunday or it could be a one time thing too.
Remember. Some of us sleep during the time others are drawing. With only 6 hours it seems very likely to be missed by possible participants. However a set time a good while before the theme is announced, for everyone interested to be available, could solve that problem.

I also liked the "make-over" idea, could be interesting.

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

how about take an existing property and giving it a "makeover". such as superman, if you could redesign his costume, how would you change it.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
FlyingChild
Pre-used plaster

Meh, I thought of something but I dont know if it would be good :P take an image of a wide empty room (like that one here) and you have to furnish it with whatever you want (it might be any wide space, not necessarly a room). Though I don't know if people would like to all have the same basic image :\
Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
Izanaki_Reload

This may be a crazy thought, but perhaps the theme could be playing with food or making the weirdest meal ever kind of deal for a contest. Mama told ya not to play with your food, but she didn't say you couldn't illustrate that. Some examples could include an illustration of a little circus made out of mash potatoes or a cartoonish squid on a plate staring you square in the eye.

Yeah . . . I'm a bit hungry at the moment. =P~~~
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
effin
POOP POOP POOP

Do a re-imagining of a classic children's story.
EDIT: but goddam thats so cliché
effin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
falmith
not a kiwi

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via MSN to falmith Send a message via Skype™ to falmith

You could make a the title a theme...It could be an object, or an emotion or whatever, but every piece the participants make would have the exact same title. Ex: "Rock" could be a pic that focuses on mountains, or pebbles, someone could be throwing the rock, someone could depict a rock concert, ....y'know.

As for things-people-don't-normally-do....how about a contest where we'd draw in the style of someone else? For some reason, I'm thinking of a secret santa-esque format where people who sign up get assigned someone else's style to do within the contest. But that doesn't work very well if people drop out and stuff....also not much of a theme, but maybe you can combine this idea with something else. =/
falmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

I think a fun idea would be to have an image that's 5-10 px high and some amount wide (or vice versa) that every entrant has to keep (relatively) unspoiled in their art. After all submissions are in, each piece is combined with the original piece that the 5-10 px high/wide image was taken off. Perhaps there could be some theme/word to describe what's going on in the original (i.e. "Water" or "Robot" or "Hot Chick") or something. I think it could produce some interesting results

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Krasnoznamonec

Srilyk i made a thread in good old 2006 that showed of Runet livejournal/art communities combined effort.

Result of their efforts was this thing:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060217120415/bkmk.ru/x/
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
darkreaver
LOL Y U MAD THO

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Result of their efforts was this thing:
ah, I am reminded of this: http://www.zoomquilt.org/

would require sequential effort though.

some good ideas so far! This'll be a good reference in the future.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Both of those are similar to what I had in mind... and pretty epic. I really love the zoom quilt though.

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
Jats
Special Needs

How about a colab competition? Colours and lines or something like that.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

i really like falmith's idea of trying to draw someone else's style. would be very challenging and yet you would hope nobody would cheat like trace it or something of that nature.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
ssjmvegita
Majin Style

Send a message via AIM to ssjmvegita Send a message via Yahoo to ssjmvegita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jats
How about a colab competition? Colours and lines or something like that.

We already did one of those.

How about a man vs. wild theme?