Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #401
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default


Random mostly-humanoid demon heads, because why not.
Pigma Sensei pens on printer paper
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #402
Nmn
yo sup?
 
Nmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Poland - Radom
Posts: 171
Default

Has a nice Doom vibe to it, like like
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #403
astrapho
One of 'em crazies
 
astrapho's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My room
Posts: 2,717
Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho
Default

Loving the intro for the comic so far Did you write that all by yourself? Its a really cool creation myth. Nice demon heads too. Some of them look like itd work in your comic if you ever need them haha
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #404
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmn
Has a nice Doom vibe to it, like like
Are we talking about the new Doom? I haven't played it, but I did play the original Doom, haha. I have a thing for humanoid-looking creatures with some slight body horror. The eyeless thing works wonder. I'm also a fan of bared teeth, if ya couldn't tell, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrapho
Loving the intro for the comic so far Did you write that all by yourself? Its a really cool creation myth. Nice demon heads too. Some of them look like itd work in your comic if you ever need them haha
Ast, I am really glad you like what I have so far. It makes me very happy.
I did write all that by myself, and I have you and Lamb in particular to thank for it. Remember when we did the hunters contest and you told me I needed to work on my storytelling? Then last year, I 'started' my comic, and it got torn to pieces by Lamb. I've since been working on storytelling and where I want to go with it, and I think it's finally starting to come together. It feels like I have a stronger sense of direction. It's a mish-mash of all the different things I like. I still don't consider myself a writer, so we'll see what happens. I love world-building, though, so I have a lot of that thought up.
Now I just gotta work on the art aspect of it and maybe I can make it more appealing! I expect some harsh critiquing when I get the proper pages done.
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 AM   #405
Nmn
yo sup?
 
Nmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Poland - Radom
Posts: 171
Default

Yeah the new Doom, haven't played it either just watched at YT. I think I've seen concepts for it that kinda looked like your stuff there.

Quote:
I have a thing for humanoid-looking creatures with some slight body horror.
Carpenter's The Thing perhaps might suit you? But then again, there's more horror than humanoid in there o.O
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #406
Lamb
christmas squid
 
Lamb's Avatar
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: in the <3 of Europe
Posts: 2,226
Send a message via ICQ to Lamb
Default

Holy hell. That story is good! The story and the visual representation make it feel like an old myth. Wow.
__________________

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #407
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmn
Carpenter's The Thing perhaps might suit you? But then again, there's more horror than humanoid in there o.O
Oh yeah, for sure. Carpenter and Lovecraft are two big sources of inspiration when it comes to horror design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb
Holy hell. That story is good! The story and the visual representation make it feel like an old myth. Wow.
Thanks, dude. See above for what I told Ast. This is, in part, your doing!
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #408
Nmn
yo sup?
 
Nmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Poland - Radom
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Lovecraft
"This is not dead that can eternal lie."
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #409
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmn
"This is not dead that can eternal lie."
Most of us are heathens in the innermost recesses of our hearts.


Quick, fun sketch for Dia de Muertos, of three of my family members.
Process video youtu.be/V_ks0ycIvWM
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #410
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default


Working on page 2 of the comic. Had to take a break from drawing obnoxiously attractive Middle-Eastern men to draw a cute chibi for the wife
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #411
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Page 2!
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #412
astrapho
One of 'em crazies
 
astrapho's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 
Total Awards: 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My room
Posts: 2,717
Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho
Default

Really nice progress Action reads clearly. Now the main problem is that there is so much empty space in the action scene, but the empty spaces make it look really calm and tranquil when it shouldn't be. horizontals and vertical lines also impart a really calm feeling. You could experiment with some more dramatic angles, upshots and downshots with a vertical vanishing point to avoid these calm horizontals and verticals, even tilt the horizon a little You are improving nicely though. looking forward to more.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #413
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Awesome, I'm glad the action reads well. And you know what, I just remembered what you said about the verticals and horizontals. D'oh! I'm gonna work on that on the next page.
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #414
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Thumbnails for future reference! Probably won't end up using 3; it doesn't have what I wanted.
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #415
Campside
Karbonite
 
Campside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Nice thumbnails man! The leap in particular reads well. I like how clearly you set up the perspective grids. I think these all make for dynamic compositions, but I think when you finalize them you could try pushing the foreground more to increase the sense of depth.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #416
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Thanks for that. When you say push the foreground more, do you mean push it farther back, or closer to the camera?
Page 3 is done! Sorry for the delay

Also, do you guys think I should start a separate thread for the comic, or just keep updates on this one?
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #417
djizomdjinn
night painter
 
djizomdjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,526
Default

Hmm... I wonder if you're not trying to squeeze too many panels into one page. Some of Frank Miller's stuff had this many panels, but a lot of them were super-stylized and/or essentially repeated panels, cutting down on work. Most books I see have around 5-7 bigger panels these days. I admit I haven't read comics in a looong time though.

Also, I'd suggest adding some padding around the edge of the page, if only so you can bleed to the edge for dramatic effect when necessary.

Re: separate thread: Up to you really. I kicked all of my sculpting / miniatures stuff to a separate (neglected) thread, because I felt it didn't even have the illusion of being competent work. But it might get even less commenting than the trickle we get these days.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #418
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djizomdjinn
Hmm... I wonder if you're not trying to squeeze too many panels into one page. Some of Frank Miller's stuff had this many panels, but a lot of them were super-stylized and/or essentially repeated panels, cutting down on work. Most books I see have around 5-7 bigger panels these days. I admit I haven't read comics in a looong time though.

Also, I'd suggest adding some padding around the edge of the page, if only so you can bleed to the edge for dramatic effect when necessary.
Hmm, that's a good point. I haven't read any comics lately, either, so I think I need to do some research, then, haha.

I originally decided against padding because I thought it would give me even less space to work on the panels, but if I switch to fewer panels, then it might not be a problem after all.

Thanks, brother!
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #419
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default


Dream No More

With all the comic work I've been doing lately, I wanted to do something a bit more painterly for a change.
Inspired by Metallica's song, "Dream No More", and by Alex Konstad's "Hell of a Story"
It came out a lot darker when I saved it, not sure why. Sorry!
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #420
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward
 
Grieverjoe's Avatar
Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,176
Default


Monster Hunter Felyne done as a birthday gift for a friend.
Photoshop CS6, about 3 hours.
Process video!
https://youtu.be/8hUE5eAwGsU
__________________
Artblog
Tumblr
DeviantART
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.