Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #441
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

hmm i think it might depend on whether you're in a threatening situation... I had a finger broken while I was swordfighting once, my opponent's sword landed square on my finger full force and broke it, but i literally didnt feel anything and kept going, and even fought one more person before it started to hurt. you'll also find many stories of people horribly maimed but they could keep going especially out of sheer panic until the danger is over, the instinct of self preservation is very powerful.

But i think you can still pull this one off, but you have to exaggerate his pose and maybe have the camera more closeup with some horrible images of the injury to really convey to the audience that it's a horrifying injury to the character, and that he is seriously in shock, because right now he looks only like in mild pain and the injury doesn't look that bad on the screen.
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #442
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Ast, once again, you are very insightful (I did not know you did sword fighting, that's pretty badass)

So I came up with this

Now I gotta figure out how to put it in the page.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #443
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

Head studies from Erik Gist.
Hand studies from Steve Huston.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #444
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 

Sweet progress on the studies Yeah I think the new sketches you made with the wrist convey the horror much more. For the one with his half body I think you could try a few other different camera angles because this one is a really calm angle to be seeing him at. Could play with perspective a bit to make his hand look bigger, or tilt the horizon for a more unstable unsettling feeling, there are lots of possibilities
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #445
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Old 04-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #446
djizomdjinn
night painter

Watch your perspective... Google Sketchup is free and easy to learn to make quick perspective mockups, and quick lighting reference as well. Plus, for those areas you use a lot (like say, one place for a whole bunch of panels, like a fight scene), you can make it once and use it repeatedly.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #447
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

I used to have SketchUp, but then I had to reimage and forgot to redownload. Thanks for the reminder.
Are there any points in particular that stand out as bad?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #448
Dwee dee(3d)
x, y, z

You'd add a lot of suspense if you removed the second image, or just reordered it like:
pannel 2 -> pannel 1 -> pannel 3 (and add speed lines on this pannel or tunnel-vision blur.

I don't post, but I drew comics like crazy once. You'd be surprised how much people forgive if the action is arranged just right. Just like the best stories can have a ton of mis-spelled words and bad tense and still leave you wondering what happens next
Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #449
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Thanks, Dee. I plan on going back and reworking some of the older pages at some point, so I'm compiling all the advice I've been getting everywhere for when that happens.

So, guess who's been reading Berserk again?

Last edited by Grieverjoe : 04-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #450
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

My wife asked me to draw a cover to one of her upcoming books, but she asked me to do it as lineart-only.
If you're interested in fantasy, romance, or paranormal, then go check her out at http://ithilear.com/
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #451
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

yay
Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #452
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Eschewing comic work in favor of revisiting my other passion, character design, by taking an old, OLD sketch I did for a friend back in the good old days of my anime phase.
Wasn’t even that good, to be honest.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #453
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Ding dong the demon is dead! Can't wait to see more pages. It was a great action sequence, you improved a lot too while doing it too

So even you had an anime phase x'D
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #454
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapho
So even you had an anime phase x'D
I think everybody had an anime phase

Quote:
Ding dong the demon is dead!
you sure bout that?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #455
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Page 12 is up
Old 06-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #456
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

acidic blood? D:

Panels are looking varied and good Only thing I would say to watch out for is your perspective, when the demon is lying on the ground I can see some tiles around the sides not tending to the same vanishing point. It's not super noticeable in that case but take care to lay a grid or place a vanishing point in more important scenes!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #457
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Quote:
acidic blood? D:
Nah. They just melt and dissolve when they die, muscles, bone, and everything. The blood evaporates after a bit. It burns a little bit as it evaporates, but not quite acidic. The smell remains after a while, though. D:
Quote:
Panels are looking varied and good Only thing I would say to watch out for is your perspective, when the demon is lying on the ground I can see some tiles around the sides not tending to the same vanishing point. It's not super noticeable in that case but take care to lay a grid or place a vanishing point in more important scenes!
I did have a grid. I guess I must've moved it and didn't notice, d'oh! D:
Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #458
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Quote:
I think everybody had an anime phase
you know now that you mention it, i think i'm coming down with an anime phase. All my tuts and training coming from digital artists who in some way or other are influenced by anime.

Either this is a good thing or i'm heading down a dark, weird and horrible path.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #459
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

There is nothing wrong with anime and the style in and of themselves, and as an example, I will use our very own RobotCat as an example. He has a very established style that is very much anime-inspired, but is also very nicely executed and thought-out.
Most young artists will start with anime because it's easy to do, as opposed to say, realism, but then they will stay in that phase and not move past it. They will heed no criticism because, hey, it's just anime, they're not trying to draw realistically and are not trying to be a pro. I can tell you this with confidence, because that's where I was.
Some people want to draw Yu Gi Oh for the rest of their life, and that's fine, but because of the style, everything and everyone kinda ends up looking the same as everything and everyone else. You can't learn to draw anything other than "anime", because most anime just kinda blends into each other. Does that make sense?
I can tell you that you suffer no such problems, because you at least try and push to better yourself, you ask for advice and criticism, and you take that well.
But if you want to go down the anime path, please don't let anyone else discourage you. As long as you continue to push yourself and grow, then you do whatever you want!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #460
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

Page 13

Question: is the gore too much?