Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
djizomdjinn
night painter

She seems to read as a slightly different character in every drawing (I have that problem, too...)

The top two on the left read as much more boyish, to the point where it's actually really hard for the viewer to distinguish gender. Bottom middle is my favorite of the the whole bunch.

I think you need to really lock down a few things, like her facial proportions, face shape, eye shape, hair, etc. I notice the bottom middle does a few things different from the others, like:

- Much smaller facial features relative to head size.
- More defined head shape compared to the others which are all more or less ovals.
- Hair seems thinner and more breezy.

As for outfit designs, how important is she? You may or may not want to give her more patterned clothing or brighter colors, or a distinctive accessory.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
Campside
Karbonite

Thanks for the input man. I definitely have to work on maintaining a consistent design from all angles. I tried to follow your advice and lock down the facial proportions by creating a head-turnaround model sheet. This is what I came up with:

She's supposed to be around eleven to twelve years old. I have a tough time drawing her the right age. She's from a nomadic tribe that roams across a desert landscape. Her story is basically about her going against the will of her tribe so that she can become a skilled hunter like her brother. I guess her story's a bit like Mulan or Arya Stark. She's very much a tom boy who naturally has the drive to fight and seek adventure.

I've been trying to get better at digital painting. Here are two studies I did recently:

and some horse studies cuz why not
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #23
Campside
Karbonite

Photo studies from the past few days. Any advice or critique would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #24
muzz
karbogasm

Hey man nice studies.

I'd really like you pay more attention to the really subtle values though. To properly turn form you really need to pay very close attention to very small value shifts through the lit areas.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #25
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Ahh I really like your referenced digital paintings!
The only thing I could really give you advice on since you're already so great...would be to take some artistic freedom and maybe make the values more drastic er...pop more? Right now the paintings look like referenced paintings and not really creative if that makes sense? Study wise, sticking to the reference is great-really great to hone skills on faces and the like, but what I guess I'm trying to say is that you have to take it a step further if you want your own artistic flair to really show in the piece ^^
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #26
Campside
Karbonite

Thank you for the input guys. I've been trying to work on what you two pointed out. Not getting enough contrast and not capturing subtle form changes are definitely recurring problems in my work. I think it stems from being too conservative in how far I push my pieces. I'm gonna try to do more photo studies and original work.

Here are studies from yesterday of krenz kushart:

I've been working on penciling my comic project I'm working on with my brother. So far I have 12 pages penciled: http://imgur.com/a/l86vr

It's probably gonna take another 20 or so to tell the rest of the first chapter's story. My goal is to finish it by the end of this month.

Last edited by Campside : 11-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #27
Ninja-J
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campside
Photo studies from the past few days. Any advice or critique would be appreciated.

Your portraits looks wonderful. Keep up the good work! :-)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #28
Campside
Karbonite

Thanks man!

Portrait study from today of Jake Gyllenhaal:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
Campside
Karbonite

digital painting studies from the past few weeks:

work from life drawing class:

Some doodles:

Last edited by Campside : 10-21-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #30
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Really digging those gesture drawings.
The skeleton studies are particularly spoopy.
Also, I went and read through your comic. I'm liking it so far. Do you have more?
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #31
Campside
Karbonite

Thanks man! I'm glad you like the comic. I just read the prologue of Ever Skyward. I like how you started by establishing the history of the world like in Lord of the Rings. You definitely captured the look of medieval illustrations in the prologue. I look forward to reading more!

I have another eight pages penciled, but now I'm working on completing some inked pages. It's pretty daunting to try finalizing everything.

Fanart of an art buddy's story. Information on their story and characters here:http://sta.sh/2261xwk2hojs

A portrait study from today. Trying to get better at conveying texture by using a variety of brushes.

Last edited by Campside : 10-21-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #32
Nmn
yo sup?

This stuff is amazing, I love how you actually focux on planes o faces on these portraits. Diggin' 70's Emma Stone and young Roy Scheider meets dr. Freud there.

Keep postin' so I can enjoy them
Nmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #33
Campside
Karbonite

Thanks man! I'm glad you like the focus on the planes of the face - it's what I really enjoy drawing/painting.

Two studies from today:

Old 11-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #34
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 

For me, I think what I find the most appealing about your pieces is how you simplify and group your values. Very easy on the eyes, and very easy to read.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #35
Campside
Karbonite

I really appreciate the kind words Joe. It's always been a priority of mine to try to make the overall image legible and clear.

Two portrait studies:

fanart of a friend's upcoming webcomic called Roadworks and fanart of the comic Tomboy:

Old 11-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #36
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

Your studies are great.

I love your stylized stuff more though ^ ^

Very nice use of cell shading on the lizard guy and girl. The only part that feels a little off is the gradient on the shirt flap, it doesn't read well with the way the lines are drawn. Also, for the grass u might want to go in with a larger size grass brush to break up the pattern of small grass leaflets. Just a few manual alterations here and there, give a bit of grouping to some parts, would make the whole thing feel way more organic.

Demon hair girl is awesome, but the legs seem a bit short compared to the length of her torso?
Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #37
Campside
Karbonite

Thanks so much for the kind words man! I definitely need to improve on making environments look more organic. I think a lot of it comes down to what you suggested on breaking up areas with detailed patterns. I'll try to work on that in future pieces!

two recent portrait studies:

Old 12-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #38
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase

These last studies look pretty spot on. Values and colors are looking nice, especially on the second one. It straight up looks like a photograph