Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #21
djizomdjinn
night painter

As long as you give it about a day, or at the very least a few hours, it's fine, but minute-by-minute updates and bump posts with no new updates are frowned upon. If you bump because you've updated your art and want to keep it in the first post, sure, but don't bump just to get more attention.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #22
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

It's difficult to maintain the same "character" when cleaning up digital sketches. I kinda liked both of them though ^^

Little tooth fairy sketch I did for SketchDailies :P

Sometimes I like using my webcam for reference. xD Mostly doing these really rough sketches of different angles and expressions. I try not to focus much on trying to capture any likeness, since that's not really the point, but it often ends up looking like me anyway haha

Maybe one day I'll learn how to be neat xD I was quite happy with the arm/hand on this one

Still trying to get the hang of Harry James ^v^ Maybe I'm just picky about it but I always feel like the design isn't quite what I mean for it. But recently I have been happier with it ;D

Study Probably a little crooked, I know. I finally got a toned sketchbook and I really love it but currently I don't have any white pencils. Only chalk. And paint. Hm. I don't much like using chalk for this, it's difficult.
And I got fixative! So I can do more stuff with my softer graphite and charcoal.

Anyway! There are probably others I should dig around and post here, but I'll leave it at that for now. Part of me is tempted to start saying things like "I'll be drawing more!" or "I need to post more often~" but honestly I don't want to be repetitive. Besides, it's probably best I don't make any promises. xD
Things have been unpredictable, but I feel like I'm more productive than ever.
Tell me what you think! Any and all critique welcome
Hexdust2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Campside
Karbonite

You have such an appealing style! The way you draw hair and eyes really stands out to me. Also how you angle the head relative to the camera is always interesting.

I'd like to see how you approach designing rougher characters like Hagrid. I think you should expand the variety of character types you draw.
Campside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Aw, thanks!!
And yeah, I should! I think I've attempted hagrid in the past... Didn't work out well xD
But rougher characters in general, yes! It's something I've been wanting to get more into for a while now. I did a sketch of Ganondorf the other day, I think I want play around with that some more, and maybe I'll post some later ^^

I was playing around with thumbnails a bit. Used the color dropper mostly on those. It's hard getting into environments when you're so unfamiliar with it o.o
Stuck some misc sketches and experiments in there, as well. Also that wip on the right was uh.. intended to be a birthday present for a fellow artist, but... Never finished it. And it's been a few months... o.o;;;
Maybe I'll be able to finish it in time for next year hahaha

Oh, almost forgot! When it comes to digital art, I'm most familiar with Paint Tool Sai, but I quite like Photoshop as well. But there's one little problem with that. The lines are always jagged. It's almost as if I'm working on a small canvas size, but I'm not. And it's not the brushes. I posted about it on dA, and attached a picture as well. If anyone has any idea how to fix it or what it might be, please let me know, it's so annoying (TnT)

Last edited by Hexdust2970 : 07-16-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Here is the ref I used for this next one: http://leadbirdie.deviantart.com/art...nvas-172027932

I decided to approach it slightly differently from how I do photo studies most of the time (Which is usually just winging it :P)
I started by grayscaling the image and adjusting the contrast and gamma, and then adding some reference lines in red.
Like so~

Then copied most of those guides down on paper:

Fleshing out basic shapes while referencing the original image:

Blotting in some basic values:

Cleaning up and refining:

And finally...

So yeah :P Hopefully there'll be more coming soon~ x)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #26
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

WIP

Not sure how this one will turn out. The pose/angle is a bit difficult and I'm not sure exactly how I'll do the clothing in this one. I'm not doing it like the reference because I've no idea what's happening there... haha
Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

One of those times I feel like I've forgotten how to paint digitally at all haha
Not sure how exactly I'm going to do this. I was messing around with a few different brushes to see how each one would work.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:20 AM   #28
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Some quick profile sketches
Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #29
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Cleaning stuff up a bit so I know what's what
Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #30
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Thought I'd posted this one a long time ago ._.
I was messing around with the image hosts and editing the post and such so I guess something got messed up at some point.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #31
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Messy sketch
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #32
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Just realized the pose on this one might be a bit confusing. She's leaning in a doorway. I wasn't able to finish her other arm because it fell off the page lol (Also forgive the lazy hand over there k thanks)

I decided to try out scanning them again, as oppose to taking a picture. The only reason I didn't do that with the others is because it can be very annoying and difficult to scan a page that's still in your sketchbook ._.
I like not having to worry about lighting conditions and it getting distorted because the camera wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the page, though.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #33
**smile**
Karbonite

Potter fan spotted you have a very nice line; love the little deer a couple of posts back. I rarely use any guidelines (try to eyeball stuff ). Try creating bigger contrast between dark and light. it pumps up drawings, especially on paper.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #34
littleyuri
Karbonite

Solid style man. *bookmark*

Deviantart

Instagremzz
littleyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #35
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by **smile**
Potter fan spotted you have a very nice line; love the little deer a couple of posts back. I rarely use any guidelines (try to eyeball stuff ). Try creating bigger contrast between dark and light. it pumps up drawings, especially on paper.
Haha Heyy xD

Really? I've always thought it was rather scratchy xP Thanks!
Sometimes I prefer soft shading, but I guess that doesn't translate as well on a scan :P I'll keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleyuri
Solid style man. *bookmark*
Thank you~

So recently I've been sick, and in the first couple of days when I wasn't sleeping, I was watching The Musketeers xD
My sleep has been so inconsistent, too. O.O
I'm not 100% better yet, but I'm close. Doesn't help that my mother and sister just got it xD

Not really art, but I did a couple of fun exercises

I love finding rhythms and shapes, especially in poses. (The third one was focused on simplifying the shapes of the negative space)

Triangles are my favourite xD
Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #36
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Playing around with different ways of.. doing things. I've clearly no idea what I"m doing here hahaha

(Agh this one already looks so awkward to me hahaha))
Sorry for the low res btw. I don't really know what went wrong there T_T Imma blame Imgur

Also a couple of sky paintings I did a while back! My second and third try messing with some fancy brushes ^^

Last edited by Hexdust2970 : 08-24-2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #37
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

There are a couple of other things I ought to gather up and post but for now here's a photostudy I did today

I was trying to get my sister to start doing photostudies (she's kinda intimidated) and I started a bit of a demonstration. Didn't get very far, got distracted, she ended up taking a nap, and I ended up finishing it xD
Hair is really annoying to paint. I could have spent a lot more time on this one, but I got bored and decided enough was enough haha
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #38
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Found these old things rolling around.
Several months old, I think. I was doing it from imagination and never finished. I think my values//contrast is lacking. It's one thing I always notice. But I've heard it's best to work up to contrast, so idk. :P

For this one I used reference but if I recall correctly, I didn't actually look at said reference that much. So it's half and half I suppose :P
Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #39
Hexdust2970
Karbonite

Sketches and studies