Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Default It's Been a While! (Tsu's Sketchbook)

I'll just kick things off with some digital pieces I've done this year so far!

With this one, I just could not get the angle of her foot right!

Okay with this one, I know the hair could really use some work. I spent so much time on the body, skin, and face that I just wanted to be done haha ^^
I do have a video of the progress of making this one if you would like to see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407Ne1ytkZM

Last edited by Lamb : 06-13-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Tsuhara_Kinozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

A quick one I did today, I know the right eye is wonky I'm just...ugh it took so much time, don't want to redo that eye.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Nmn
yo sup?

Perhaps you know it already, but I'll give it a shot. Do you often flip/mirror your image while drawing/painting symmetrical things? This imideatly reveals anything wonky.

I like this work! Especially #3 in the third post, seems elegant, stylish and what my friend calls "vectorish" (as if made in Illustrator).

May I reccomend an exercise? Have you tried drawing from casts or sculptures of a human head? A mannequin's head is also good, or you can find some simple 3d app and draw from a 3d model.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmn
Perhaps you know it already, but I'll give it a shot. Do you often flip/mirror your image while drawing/painting symmetrical things? This imideatly reveals anything wonky.

I like this work! Especially #3 in the third post, seems elegant, stylish and what my friend calls "vectorish" (as if made in Illustrator).

May I reccomend an exercise? Have you tried drawing from casts or sculptures of a human head? A mannequin's head is also good, or you can find some simple 3d app and draw from a 3d model.

Yes, I frequent the method of flipping the image and finding things wrong all the time lol. The only problem is that once I find those problems I have already done so much work that I do not want to start from scratch.

Thank you very much for the compliment! I do like that one a lot myself.

I have drawn from mannequins in still lifes I had to do for art projects. And that is a good point to make, I haven't done reference drawing for a tiny bit and it might show in my art.

I've taken some of your advice and tried to study faces a bit more. This is a piece I started and finished in about an hour or maybe less.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

You fixed a lot of the issues with this one compared with your quick sketch from earlier. Are you sticking specifically with hard tone transitions as part of your style? Because I think mixing some of that soft transition rendering from girl piece from earlier could work really well too.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat
You fixed a lot of the issues with this one compared with your quick sketch from earlier. Are you sticking specifically with hard tone transitions as part of your style? Because I think mixing some of that soft transition rendering from girl piece from earlier could work really well too.
Thank you!

I'm really still experimenting with my coloring style. I like the idea of mixing the two variations. The only thing is, the technique I used for the blonde piece you're talking about takes up a lot of time. That piece took...maybe three hours? The thing with this style of coloring it only takes about an hour or less.

So I guess depending on crunch time I could go back and forth between the two techniques. Thank you for the advice!

EDIT

Okay! So I messed around with my painting style a bit today and this piece came out of trying to mix the two coloring techniques you mentioned before.

Last edited by Tsuhara_Kinozuk : 06-14-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
RobotCat
Best combination ever

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 2

I don't think you should blend everything. Keep most of your hard transitions but just soften up a few of the more pronounced areas like the cheeks and what not.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:23 AM   #8
Lamb
christmas squid

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Hunters Contest '12 Boss Battle Contest - 2nd place:  - Issue reason: Had that cute crit glyph 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 
Total Awards: 4

Send a message via ICQ to Lamb

Maybe you may benefit from a software better suited for painting.

https://krita.org/ for example?

http://chronoray.tumblr.com/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

RobotCat: Well I'm not sure how that would look... Wouldn't it look a bit strange? To have parts of the face that are blended and other parts that are blocked off in a way? I'll try it out but I'm not sure I can rock that style of coloring ^^"

Lamb: Thank you for showing me this software! I really appreciate it ^^ I'm sure using this will help better my digital art!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

hmm.... krita eh? might have a look at it. i use photoshop myself but i'm all for a different program to see what its like.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

I'm just gonna drop some of my traditional pieces as well

Reference photo:

Reference photo:
Old 06-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
Nmn
yo sup?

These are good academic studies, but there appear to be symmetry issues. I can see you're incorporating construction, and we know that's mandatory, but try to often step/move away from your drawings to see them as a whole, this shows how elements appear in relation to one another.

If you do "zoom out" then I say you need to do it more often, and rarely if ever get close to working on details. I judge that by seing the beatifully rendered details, but elements in relation one to another disrupt the depht of the form a tad.

Maybe drawing horizontal lines across the face during construction will benefit your constructing. Look here to see what I mean:

I took liberty and done some changes to your drawing. I hope you don't mind.

Except now the guy has too much shadow on his right eye looks like a bruise XD Again, hope you don't mind but I want to help you become better.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Thank you, that is great advice! I usually never draw guidelines for portraits, I just go in and I notice so many mistakes because of this but it is hard to nip laziness in the butt!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Nmn
yo sup?

Don't give me any excuses here! You can be better so work them mistakes and laziness outta yourself
Old 06-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Dropping some digital work. I've just been sort of lost on what sort of coloring I want to do.

I did like the direction of this style? I'm sure I'll probably go back and use this style again. This is just something quick so it's pretty messy haha

This next one was made on that program Lamb mentioned. Ah...it's going to take me a while to get used to the tools and all of the different options in that program. ^^"
I managed to get from her neck and down to blend properly and well...you see how the rest went haha

This last one was just some drawing on an online board so it isn't the best quality
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

Your studies are looking a lot better. I say keep pushing.
Your latest pieces, however, come off looking a bit flat and dull. Try to be more adventurous with your colors. Use cooler colors for the shadows, and warmer for the light areas.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Thank you ^^ I'll keep working!

Oh yeah I see what you mean. It always felt like something was missing.

Thanks so much! That sounds really interesting to try out!! I'll give it a shot!

Grieverjoe: So I've never done coloring like this before but I gave it a shot? I think this is what you mean?

Last edited by Tsuhara_Kinozuk : 07-03-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

Just getting some more practice in

Working more on the coloring and such

This painting was for someone who requested it but I liked it so much, I thought I should share it

Last edited by Tsuhara_Kinozuk : 07-14-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #19
Tsuhara_Kinozuk
Bunneh!

I noticed lately that all I post is bust shots because I've been working pretty hard on facial structures but I figure I should change it up and start giving full/half bodies hahaa

I know I've been sort of lacking in symmetry so I did a quick painting of a face to try and get back into lining everything up properly

Last edited by Tsuhara_Kinozuk : 08-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
djizomdjinn
night painter

Well, asymmetry is fine... try grabbing some celebrity frontal photos, mirroring one half, and seeing how their face changes. It's really quite dramatic sometimes.

On the other hand, yes, being able to draw symmetrically on demand is also a good skill to practice.

Your noses seem to all be very tall and narrow, and often lack definition in the nostrils. Try looking at different peoples' noses? Whether upturned, more triangular, hooked, etc.
djizomdjinn is offline   Reply With Quote