Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Art & Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #21
Shou
licensed to ill

the Volito should just be the international version of the Graphire. They have the same specs. You can also get it in asia.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #22
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shou
the Volito should just be the international version of the Graphire. They have the same specs. You can also get it in asia.
Actually, they sell both at least in Europe. Graphire 4 has resolution of 2000 dpi while Volito 2 has 1016 dpi. Volito also doesn't have the eraser end on the pen. And Volito is only available at 4x5.. The Volito costs only like 30e less than a Graphire, I'd personally suggest saving up and getting the Graphire.

traum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #23
sketchJC
Karbonite

Out of curiosity, does anybody have a Tablet PC, or have they used on in the past?

I've used drawing tablets (crappy ones), but when I draw I am very close to the paper so they don't work very well for me having to look at the monitor far away, even with zoom.

I've been considering purchasing a Tablet PC for a couple months now, but I'd be interested to hear about anybody's experiences if they've used one.
sketchJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #24
Cruiser18
The Sharpest Pencil

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Sprite Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Tablet PC's are good on the go, but they can't really compete with a regular tablet if that's all you're looking at. Usually the tablet pc has a somewhat lower and slower sensitivity, and often you don't have access to the keyboard while using it's tablet abilities, making it somewhat tedious to switch tools and getting around your work space.

However, they are quite nice to have with you if you are set in complete boredom or like to take handdrawn notes with a computer "paper", but most likely you would be better off with a regular laptop and transporting your regular tablet along with you.
Cruiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
sketchJC
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser18
Usually the tablet pc has a somewhat lower and slower sensitivity
Eww... that's the problem I had with an old tablet of mine, I ended up not using it because of that.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll get the Intuos3 6x8 instead. Plus that will leave me with enough cash to upgrade my Photoshop to CS2 Hehe.
sketchJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #26
Flux
meow

Send a message via AIM to Flux

Excuse me if this has been mentioned already:

Interesting tidbit -- most people don't know how "Wacom" is pronounced. To this day, I still pronounce it "Way -- Calm", which is the most logical.

However I found out recently that, from people who have called Wacom tech support, it is actually pronounced "Whack'em".

Heh :] Now you know. Feel free to call em up and ask, too.

Little did I know I own a whack'em tablet...
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #27
KuroNekoSama
Number One Kraut

Sketch, the Intuos3 is a teriffic tablet. And for the drawing difficulties, i always stick my nose right into the sketch pad too but it just takes a while to get used to your drawings appearing on the computer screen. Its always nicer for me too because i always skew my sketchbook which makes my drawings skewed and it was really hard for me do draw with the sketchbook infront of me, with the tablet i can skew it and my drawing still appears completly straight ^_^ if that makes any sense?

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
-In necessary things unity, in doubtful things liberty, in all things charity
KuroNekoSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #28
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

It ameks a lot of sense. I wish I'd read this comment earlier Kuro. I got a table about 3 weeks ago. It took about 3 days to figure out why I couldn't draw, and it was all beacuse of the angle of the tablet, see normally peolpe tilt the paper to an angle, I had my tablet perfectly parallel to my chest (straight in other words), then I noticed I was instinctively rotating my body to adjust to that, then I figured it out and felt like smacking myself upside the head XD. So for all you tablet noobs, TILT THE TABLET AS YOU WOULD YOUR SKETCHPAD!!

Also, I got a Wacom Graphire 4 6x8, and its purdy frikkin amazing. My room is a radiowave heaven, as you can see in my picture thread, and the pointer still experiences no jitter. The precision is a lot better than a mouse, and the size is quite comfortable. I havent painted much with it, mostly drawing/sketching and I have no complaints to the moment. I bought mine for 170 US Dollars at tigerdirect.com if anyone needs to know. I felt it was a bit pricey (seeing as it is over 3000 bucks in my local currency) but let me tell you, it is worth every single penny.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
KuroNekoSama
Number One Kraut

that it is ^_^ i dont know how i've lived without a tablet for so long -_-

Another thing that might help is just navagating around your desktop with the tablet if your a beginner, this helps you get the motion and whatnot down and really helps with control later on, another exersize is to draw four or five straight lines down and across (4-5 down+ 4-5 across) to make a checker board pattern, then make a dot on every cross section, then make an x over ever dot, and then a circle around each x, it really helps with your motor skills ^_^

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
-In necessary things unity, in doubtful things liberty, in all things charity
KuroNekoSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #30
DawnFu
!?!

Send a message via MSN to DawnFu

Quite informative but one other thing please. I've been on wacom.com and I don't see where I could find differences between a Graphire 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Could anyone have the aimability to explain? Is it just new design?

-D.T.161ieme-
DawnFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #31
Moxie
Temporary mod

Wacom Cintiq!?!
can any one please explain the buffness of this to me? and why they have no info on the main site?
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #32
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Cross Board Contest 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '05 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Nonseasonal Unnamed Contest '07 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
Wacom Cintiq!?!
can any one please explain the buffness of this to me? and why they have no info on the main site?
Huh? >_> There's a link to Cintiqs on the front page of wacom.com.

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

The newer versions are redesigns. Slight improvement in accuracy for example is pretty predictable.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Moxie
Temporary mod

I am so buying one
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #34
Alphaf
Karbophile

Send a message via MSN to Alphaf

Are the plastic covers of the tablet replaceable? I mean, are they sold separately? Mine only has few scratches, but Im pretty sure with time it'll get all scratched and chiseled and stuff and maybe someday I'll want to replace min, even if it were purely aesthetic. Does anyone know if you can buy just the clear plastic cover thing?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #35
Shou
licensed to ill

you can get them at wacom.com along with nibs or whatever else can be replaced
Old 03-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #36
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

I bought a Cintiq pen for use on my tablet PC. It feels way better than the thin, light Toshiba pen. It's a nice upgrade for you other M4 users if you're willing to spend more money.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #37
shadowstarre
Karbonite

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 

Default Downsizing

Hey guys. My current tablet, a 9x12 Medion, is showing signs of crapping up and I'm saving up for a Wacom to replace it. However, getting another 9x12 would probably take two years at the rate that I'm getting commissioned artwork done. Thus, I'm considering replacing it with a much cheaper, smaller 6x8.

Is the process of switching to a smaller size from something larger significantly awkward?

I'm sure anything could be gotten used to with time, but I'm wondering if anyone's done it before and what their experience with the adjustment process was.
shadowstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #38
traum4
banana > apple

Awards Showcase

I have a 9x12 Intuos2 at home, but I found 6x8 so comfortable at school, I requested to get a 6x8 at work, too. I don't think you will have much trouble with the smaller one unless you draw with extremely large strokes.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #39
shadowstarre
Karbonite

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 

Hmm, makes sense. Since the extra working area probably isn't worth twice the money, I'll shoot for a smaller one, then. Thanks.

Oh, another question for anyone. How do you prefer to store your tablet(s)?
(I figure it doesn't make too much of a difference so long as you don't let anything smash it or severely scratch it?)
shadowstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #40
Shou
licensed to ill

it'll simply be like moving your mouse setting from slow to fast. It will feel weird at first since youll be zooming across the screen but youll get used to it in probably less than 20 minutes. And just like people who move their mouse setting to a faster speed, youll probably end up liking it more since you can accopmlish more with less effort.