Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > 2011 When Hell Freezes Over
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 2

Default Voting

Hey everyone, voting time!

I thought we would use the same points method as the october contest. So choose your first, second, and third favorite illustrations. A first place receives 3 points, second 2, and third 1. Voting will be active for from Jan 11 - Jan 17th.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 

1st- Fiona
Yes, I'm voting for myself. I think I did a good job trying to come up with an image the matched the theme. Also, it was pretty obvious that I spent the longest time working on my picture, as it was the least sketchy.

2nd- Wigz
I really like the scene. With the lightning and all, I loved it. It had presence.

3rd- Darkreaver
Again, this image had a real story to it. As always, very cool.

Qweck- I really liked your pic, the only weakness was the colour palette you chose. If you add darker, more dynamic colours and shading, you would beef this image up a whole lot!

Astrapho- I really wanted to vote for you, because you did a better job at matching the theme, but the black bull blob was a little too sketchy! Great job, I'd love to see this pic a little tighter.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
akuma_patata
Krabnotie

1. astrapho - meets the theme best and made me laugh
2. darkreaver - it's a kind of magic
3. kweckduck - needed to read the title to understand it, but then it was fun
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
black300
hopefully talented xD

Astrapho - cool idea, and it matches the theme perfectly.
Fiona - Nice, you really puted a lot of time in your pic i can see that, really nice colors.
Wigz - Nice idea i like it, but it kind doesnt matches the theme as two pics for which i voted above.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
kweckduck
King of the pond

Send a message via MSN to kweckduck

I'll try to say a word about all the entries and try to come up with my favourites by the end of it.

Akuma-patata: I think you took a subject matter that was way outside of your comfort zone and you had no familiarity with at all. I think you succeeded in portraying what you wanted to portray, but you ought to have spent more time on the piece.
You seem to have used the same brush for all parts of the piece, which was set to 100% opacity at all times. You have a lot of hard edges and monotone colours where gradients should have been in place. This is all understandable since you were only able to spend 2 hours on it, but it also shows. Theme-wise I think you hit the bulls-eye, but it was also very plain with no (obvious) deeper meaning.

Meatloaf: I think this image is a great result for the first time trying a new medium. You have very nice textures and gradients. That said, if you hadn't told me it was a snow tornado I wouldn't have known what it was. I might have thought it would have been a gletsjer, icewall or mountain or something. Theme-wise I can't say you were off the mark, since the subject matter is something of a contradiction, but somehow I find it doesn't completely fit.

Fiona: I think you did a very nice job with the torn sky, the planets and the tree. The color-play is dynamic and gives it an instant good first impression. Once your eye drops down the the rocks however I find the quality of the sky and the rocks clash. In a harsh environment I would expect more point, hard edged rocks in many different layers. Your rocks are a bit too rounded and "soft". A good example would be Wigz's rocky enviro. You also only have only layer / "wall" of rocks which doesn't give it any depth. I do think you managed to capture the theme quite well.

Astropho: This one is quite sketchy. I think you were the right track with the colours and working in some textures and such, but then you seemed to have stopped in the middle of the whole thing. You didn't really define your shapes and I had to read the banner to know what the subject matter really was. I would say that at this point it is technically quite weak, but had a lot of potential. Also theme-wise I think you were on the right track.

Wigz: An incredible image, no way around it. Technically very strong. But I have to agree with what R@ndom-lamb said in his post that you chose the easy route. You either took one unfamiliar element and gave it your all, or you took a familiar one and did a good job. It has a sort of concept-art kind of feel to it, which also means that it still looks a bit unfinished. I would have expected your study of one element to be a finished piece. When it comes to the theme, I think you missed the mark completely. I see nothing peaceful to contradict the chaos going on.

Darkreaver: I find this piece difficult to "grade". I can just say I like it and that you capture something magical. I actually think it's good you did a speedpaint since it puts you on a level where other people's finished pieces can compete with yours. The reason I like this piece best is because of the subject matter. You manage to capture something magical. You created a creature that is new to me, but still has familiar elements. Technically I like the colours, but I can see some issues with the boy, whose legs seem very flat. Theme-wise I'm torn, because I don't really see the contradiction, but I can't deny the feeling there might be something.

So it has come to the vote:
I've kind of "disqualified" Wigz's since I don't see the theme, and astra's because it's so sketchy.
1st: Darkreaver - Because of the feeling it radiates, which is what a piece should really be about: radiating feelings.
2nd: Fiona - Because of the good balance of technical skill and theme portrayed
3rd: Meatloaf - For a job well done with the new medium
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Kweck, I totally agree. That's the part I struggled with the most, and it really needs more work. I want to change the whole rock thing to an alien city with more people
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Hey guys, we need more people to vote! Get off your arses and vote!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

Ugh, fine :P

1- Astrapho: Really simple style, but well done. Your concept was clear and effective, fitting the theme well.

2- Fiona: Technically great, and does fit the theme well. However, I thought the idea was a little predictable (flourishing nature in a harsh climate)

3-Akuma: Not as technically well done, but good effort and good use of the theme. Again, the nature in winter idea was a little predictable yet you made it interesting.

darkreaver, I thought yours was beautiful as always, yet I couldn't see the theme as clearly. Was it the native looking girl in the winter? Or was it the healing/death juxtapox? The winter representing death, old one representing life.

Kweck, I didn't get it :P A blonde with brains, I get that, but why is she naked, and eating the brains, and in a snowy background?

Wigz, yours was neat but as you said, incomplete so there isn't really the theme incorporated.

And I might as well critique my own entry I originally planned to have a small shed and person in the foreground, watching the tornado. Considering my newness to the medium, I just trashed that idea. Because of that it really lacks depth and more importantly, scale. Looking briefly at it, it seems the whole picture is on the same plane basically. On a more positive note, the clouds are rendered pretty decently and the snow drops were fun to flick onto the painting haha. I enjoyed doing it, a nice primer for oil paints.