Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > 2011 When Hell Freezes Over
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 
Total Awards: 2

Default Results!

So the results are in.

First Place:
astrapho= 9 points
fiona= 9 points

Second Place:
Darkreaver= 6 points

Third Place:
Wigz= 3 points

Thanks for participating!
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Billov
Digimonk

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Billov Send a message via Skype™ to Billov

Congratz, i think both astra and fiona have improved immensely in the last year or so, probably 2 of the most deserving members to get the gold

Really sorry I've been neglecting all my art duties here lately. Copped out on the 100 sketches thing too, got to about 30 days and my college work just avalanched.

I'll show you what I've been so busy with soon though, just got my stuff assessed
~MyDevART don't expect frequent updates
~my weird music Latest track: Crayonbreath
Billov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 

There's no need to feel guilty, there I times when you loose focus or inspiration and don't have the drive (or time) to do the things you aren't pushed as hard to do.

Sometimes life happens.

And thanks! I have need working pretty hard on my projects this last year, so yor comment really made my day!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

Congrats astrapho and fiona, well deserved. I guess darkreaver deserved it too, but you already have so many medals :P

However, and I'm not trying to disrespect or insult, I feel that Wigz shouldn't have placed. It looked pretty but it was incomplete, so there was no use of the theme. It's based on skill, creativity, and relation to theme right? I really don't see why the votes went to Wigz. I mean it is just a contest for a pixel trophy, but it's discouraging for others not as technically skilled (again, no disrespect to anyone) that put forth a well rounded effort to be beat by what seems to be a showing of technical skill or seniority. Excluding myself from all this, kweck and akuma both did technically solid work, not as polished as Wigz, but solid. They also came up with interesting solutions for the theme. I'm just saying that in the future we should be more thoughtful in our voting and make sure that all criteria of the entry is critiqued in an unbiased way.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
akuma_patata
Krabnotie

Congratulation to the winners.

Unrelated to the outcome of this contest I agree with Meatloaf that the voting should be given some thought. While public voting is kind of fun, I'd prefer a jury.
That would end up in a judgement more focused on the main criteria (I hope) and would also avoid awkward situations like contestants voting for themselves (no offence, Fiona, I really don't mind your choice, but in a less mature community than this one that would easily escalated in a flame war la shewononlybecauseshevotedforherselfhissblahurgswhi ne).
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Quote:
However, and I'm not trying to disrespect or insult, I feel that Wigz shouldn't have placed. It looked pretty but it was incomplete, so there was no use of the theme. It's based on skill, creativity, and relation to theme right? I really don't see why the votes went to Wigz.
Hey, no disrespect taken. I knew all of this going in; like I said I just wanted to participate, even if the theme really sucked in execution compared to everyone else. I was very close to disqualifying myself when I posted it, but then I thought it over and decided it'd be clearly disqualified on its own (plus the voting details were a little hazy to me at the time and I figured I could disqualify myself behind the scenes; as it turns out, the vote was a public one).

If the next in line wants my trophy, take it. I had fun participating and loved the entries, and that's enough reward for me.

Quote:
technical skill or seniority
This. This has been a concern of mine for awhile. Contests seem to have the same run of the mill winners. This could be because of sheer technical skill either beating out everyone else, or intimidating less experienced people into not participating. There could also be some sort of seniority thing going on (we ancient users on this site have had more visibility than newcomers). Seniority should be cause for scrutiny, not praise, in my opinion. Just because we've been around for a long time doesn't mean that we should get any sort of voting bonus. The more medals one has, the harsher the crit should be, imo.

Having the same people win over and over due to either of these factors causes a kind of stratification I don't like at all. I know what it's like to win a medal for the first time on a site full of people who have a lot of skill and you look up to. It's a good feeling and helps to propel your efforts. I want to do what I can to help other people progress artistically; that's basically why I stick around here. Proper recognition for a thematically relevant piece does more to help that goal of mine than say...hoarding another medal in that funny box thing (if I want to hoard stuff, I'll play minecraft some more and keep hoarding diamonds).

Whoever's next up in the voting gets 3rd place.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to astrapho

Understand how you feel, Billov... was also pretty strapped for time these few days. Looking forward to seeing those new works though. Always liked your sculptures.

Thanks guyz. Mine, like Wigz, was an entry just for participation's sake, wasn't as polished as I'd have liked. Not about to complain, though. xD I liketh your attitude, Wigz. You're an awesome forumate.

Quote:
This. This has been a concern of mine for awhile. Contests seem to have the same run of the mill winners.
Yeah. Gotta get the rest to participate. :S I'll try taking the initiative to post WIP threads come next contest... hopefully it'll prove to be infectious. xD
astrapho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Marklin
Genious

Send a message via Skype™ to Marklin

I hereby promise that i will do whatever i can to participate in the next contest.

If i spend enough time i might be able to compete with you old timers' speedpaints. ^^
Honestly thought the theme was a bit hard to work with, wanted to participate but i couldn't come up with a concept for a submission and then i just got so caught up in practice and personal works that i just forgot about it.

We should get the next official contest poll up and running as soon as possible imo.
Also, props to kweckduck for the unofficial contest initiative.

Give a monkey enough time and resources and it'll eventually paint another Mona Lisa.
Marklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

I think there was a big problem with voting! I'm sure things would have turned out differently if more people had actually voted. Honestly, we had as many participants as I expected. But so few people voted at all, I feel like if more people had, we would have gotten more representative results.

That being said, I want to encourage both participants and voters!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Makkon
BRAINS

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 1

I'd love to participate in the next contest. But I think I'd prefer a jury-voting system with critique more than the public vote.
Makkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

I'd love to NOT participate in the next contest and be able to critique as a judge. If you do that kind of system for the next contest, hit me up fo reel
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
kweckduck
King of the pond

Send a message via MSN to kweckduck

Remove the banner now?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
Marklin
Genious

Send a message via Skype™ to Marklin

Agreed, it's kinda annoying now that there's no contest anymore. ^^

Give a monkey enough time and resources and it'll eventually paint another Mona Lisa.
Marklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Sorry, I don't know how to do it, we'll have be patient and wait for a mod who works with the codes.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Noir Proxy
My jinx is occupied!

Send a message via MSN to Noir Proxy Send a message via Skype™ to Noir Proxy

I think it has to do with the incredible drop in forum population numbers. Maybe make contests that are style focused just to mix things up instead of just theme like e.g. The Vietnam war in a cartoon style, or Disney done in surrealism.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
Professor Az
TK-85650

Tie-breaker, same subject, new pieces. Who's with me?!?!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: When Hell Freezes Over Contest '11 1st Place:  - Issue reason: Over Dramatic Contest '10 Boss Battle Contest - Winner: 1st place - Issue reason: Beat the scariest boss into a pulp 

Haha, I don't mind a tie-breaker. Not proud of that crap I posted. xD
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #18
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Oh, you're so on!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
astrapho
One of 'em crazies

Awards Showcase

Wait, this is srsbsns right? Deadline and where-to-post?

Just thought I'd ask, since I haven't seen any updates.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Fiona
Taken By Trees

Awards Showcase

Srsbsns??? We can always make a thread when we're ready. As for time, there's only two of us, so why not just give it two weeks or so?