Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > ACTIVITIES > Contests > Past Contests > 2004 Christmas Contest
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Alucard1515
BANNED? You tell me?

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to Alucard1515
Default Results

Judges will post their top three picks in this thread, and a brief description of why they made that particular choice.

*edit*
official judges:

-oolong
-shaolin-style
-professor Aztech (mod judge)

*edit*

100 sketches in 100 days
Sketchbook

Last edited by darkreaver : 12-30-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Alucard1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
oolong
Agador Spartacus

Send a message via AIM to oolong Send a message via MSN to oolong

I'm posting my own impressions, C&C and rating about each of the pictures as well. The first three listed are my top 3, and the others are listed in order of submission.

A lot of good entries this year! It was tough narrowing it down to 3. About 5 or 6 in particular were very close. I'm ranking them based on artistic merit (compared more to other work of yours that i've seen rather than compared to everyone else's) and relevance to the topic (christmas). Originality was used as a tie breaker.

#1 - ChrisHerself
Wow! When I first saw this piece I knew it was going to be close to the top. the composition is very nice (reminds me of the kind of paintings some nuclear family in suburbia would put up for christmas) and there are nice, well colored details in the piece such as the spotted Appaloosa pattern on the horse and the fog coming from their noses give it a nice ambience. The only thing that could have made it beter was to spend a little more time on the background - as it is, it seems rushed and bloppy, particularly the forest of trees behind the cottage. Keep up the good work Chris.
Artistic Merit: 8
Relevance: 10

#2 - falmith
Finally someone with daring lighting! I absolutely love the composition and the atmosphere of this piece. It's heartwrenching. Only thing i can crit is you should add more detail to the background, even if it's a bit hazy, it just looks very plain right now. More experimental colors would be nice too.

#3 - toetread
The first entry and a goodie. It made me smirk when I read it which is more than I can say for a lot of cartoons. The style is simple, but it's all very well done. And of course nothing is more Christmas related than Santa and his reindeer (**** baby jesus.) There's nothing really WRONG with it per se, but i think you could have been a little more daring art wise. Challenge yourself a little bit more.

lazyslaker -
Yours is cute! The subject matter is certainly christmas oriented as well, but i think it could have used a little more polishing. Your character coloring is very simple, and that's ok, but there needs to be a balance, meaning more detailed lineart and background. Your lineart is a bit plain and the background just looks like it was scribbled on as an after thought. Also her expression is a bit too "help someone just shoved a snowman up my butt", which is thematic but odd.
Artistic Merit: 7
Relevance: 9

mofo09 -
While most people are inside in the warm, eating cookies and enjoying their slut skanky babes that santa brought them for Christmas, this boy tells a different story. This is a good way of showing a Christmas that most people might not think of. The atmosphere of it is really good, it's gritty and cold and truly shows the hardship of spending the holidays alone on the street. Also, it's the first picture I've seen of yours with a background, good job on working at making your pictures more complete. There are some perspective issues, but nothing horrifying. Nice work and almost made it to the top 3.

Snowfox -
The lineart is adorable, and it's obvious you spent time thinking about how to connect it to christmas (reindeer anthro - cute!). Unfortunately, the coloring and background aren't up to par with your previous work (you mentioned in irc that you have a tough time coloring, but i've seen pieces of yours in the past that have been done effectively.) The background is also fairly simplistic and doesn't show much depth at all. A good effort but it could have been executed better.

Jats -
A pretty good effort, but there are flaws. The light source doesn't seem to be very defined, it seems like the moon would be giving off a lot of light but instead your girls are just kind of shaded haphazardly. The coloring all over is fairly ineffective. It conveys depth, but very little texture and form. The girl's faces are all sort of blank and boring, and could have been done better as well. Frankly, I think the best part of it is the view outside from the window.
Relevance: 8

Chastain -
Not so hot. The lineart's fine, albeit very simple anime generic girl, and the coloring's simple. But as was discussed in the "EEK BOOBS" thread, I fail to see how this connects with Christmas. I think you should be more experimental not just in your subject matter choice but in your lines and your coloring. Cel shading isn't the only technique out there.
Relevance: 6

emmapeel (mother and child) -
It looks like you were trying to go for some kind of combination of Rennaissance and Art Deco, and it ended up stylish but entirely lacking substance. In fact, i'm not really sure whether it's stylish or just kind of ugly. I commend you for your efforts, but it's too minimal and confusing.
Artistic Merit: ?

pigeonkill -
I would have liked to seen you draw 1 really good picture, instead of 10 mediocre pictures and a crappy poem. It's not even that they're badly done, they're just exceedingly simple and the style changes drastically (several of the pages have cartoony, dark black lines and the others are digitally painted in a more realistic way - not consistent). It tells a story, sure, but the story doesn't even make sense, so you're out of luck that way too.
Artistic Merit: 6

emmapeel (beefcake) -
The best part of this picture is 'North Pole.' That made me giggle like a schoolgirl. That said, the rest of it is about as minimal as your other picture, with less style. There's no shading whatsoever except the stuff on his chest and stomach, which looks to be either blurry chest hair or some kind of fungus. I know you didn't spend too much time on this and it was mostly just to counteract all the estrogen titty pool this contest is becoming, so hopefully this rating won't offend you.
Artistic Merit: 5
Relevance: 6

PhisH -
Not up to the caliber of what I know you can do. The children are amorphous and their faces are, how do I put this lightly, nightmare inducing. It looks like you didn't even finish decorating the background, let alone start coloring it. You can't win these kind of contests on talent alone. Spend more time on your pieces. I do like the little victorian style framing things. Snazzy.

afroXcore - A cute start, but doesn't look very finished. The lines are very messy, you didn't do much shading and the background looks slapped on. Take a little more time to make your pieces look clean.
Artistic Merit: 6

darkreaver - The biggest problem I see with this is the composition. It doesn't seem balanced. The coloring is very nice, but like I've said to others the lineart is simple and doesn't showcase what you can do. I do like the concept, though.

fatalM4 -

Artistic Merit: one million billion
Relevance: cheese

BrianLucey -
Very unique twist on the christmas theme, but he seems a bit too much like any jazzed up comic book character. This was very close to being chosen for one of the top 3. The coloring on it is fantastic, BUT i think you could have done more as far as light sources and hue variations go. One of the great things about colored pencils is how well they blend. Also, get a host that's not angelfire. Having to copy and paste links is just annoying.

ally -
It's very cute. The coloring is fantastic and the concept is very unique (not the kind of elf you see every day.) The biggest thing that brought this down for me, and probably what brought it out of the top 3, is that y ou didn't do any sort of a background. I was hoping you'd get the background finished in time. Still, it's a nice job.

oringe -
Haha. They look like they're watching home alone because they can't find anything better on TV.
Artistic Merit: dreidel
Relevance: latkes

Nice job everyone who entered~ Thanks for bringing your unique talents to the Polykarbon Community!

Last edited by oolong : 12-28-2004 at 06:07 PM.
oolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:05 AM   #3
Shaolin-style
be attitude for gains

Send a message via AIM to Shaolin-style

Holy moly, was this hard to decide.. the first 4 were so close I wanted to rip my hair out. I've mulled over this for a painfully long time, but I think I've finally come to conclusion that I'm comfortable with. First off, all seemingly aesthetic issues aside, I'd like to thank everyone for spending so much time and effort on their pieces. I've always thought of these contests as a kind of reflection upon the kind of artist you are because they test both artistic drive (with deadlines and competition) as well as conceptual thought (with relation to a theme.) I don't want it to seem like there are discrepancies in my judging, either; I judge based on what is most prominent about the work and what the artist accentuates the most. If it's mostly figures, I will judge anatomy, if it's mostly color, I will judge application and use of color, etc.

With all that boring stuff that you most likely skipped over said, let's get down to brass mothraflicking tacks...!
(p.s. exclamation points rule)
(p.p.s. I will go about this much in the way that oolong did)

TOP 3

#1: toetread
Critique: I loled. That was the greatest part about it. Well, actually it wasn't, there were many other things as well. I like the cartoony feel, because it fits very well with the whole theme of humor: the uniform lines, the linear, selective coloring, the extreme values... gives it all a very comic feel and that's just what it needs. This is also pretty creative, with all the different reindeer (and bear) in the background. The relevance to theme is pretty much dead-on, and the use of space is fantastic, especially for how the joke works (Randolph catches your attention first and then the reindeer follow, so it's like a joke afterwards.) Reminds me a lot of those single-word inspirational posters that say stuff like "PERSEVERANCE" or "DETERMINATION." Honestly, I can't see a thing wrong with this composition, but the work and thought put into it is what gets me the most. Excellent work, toetread.

#2: ChrisHerself
Critique: Impressive says so little about this work, it's insane. I remember seeing the unfinished one and already thinking of how good it was, but I could never have imagined this. Foremost, I love these lines: they are clean, well-defined, fit the contours nicely and are exactly where they should be. The color is just the icing on the cake. The texture of the horse and its hair is just.. so damn near perfect. The choice is also great, I like how the velvet red coat just fits right in this picture. You stick to a lot of low saturation colors, providing for a nice smooth after-a-snowy-day environment, and it does much for a composition as a whole (i'm very anal about the "big picture.") So what kept this wonderful thing from #1? I do have problems with the background. I think it does feel a little bit rushed and that you used the big brushes just to fill it in faster.. not a huge problem, but noticeable when the coloring on the horse, the girl, and the house is so precise.. it kind of takes away from the feeling, for me. The picture also reminds me of christmas so much my head explodes (couldn't think of anything else.) I love this, and the amount of time you put in it really shines through.
Artistic Merit: 9

*Oh, how I have thought so long and so hard about 3rd place. I think my brain has leaped from my skull and jumped off a four story building.*

#3: pigeonkill
Critique: Brother, I commend you on spending what seems like such a long time on such an ambitious idea. That won you points right there, the idea of making a short story about Christmas with multiple pictures, and actually going through with it. The soft colors, nice lighting and overall "gentle" type of feel that these kind of things should have, won you more points. Honestly, why I think this should be in the top 3 as opposed to the other two that I was considering is that the sum is greater than the parts; that is how it should be judged ideally. I can't really expect you to crank out 9 masterpieces, but at least 9 reasonably thoughtful, ambitious, artistic parts that will leave some sort of lasting impression, especially if you're going to do a storybook. That is what you have here, albeit with a few problems, such as changing styles (page 4 is so disruptive, the reindeer on page 6 need more attention, page 8 has lines as well but can be considered a detailed close-up i guess) and a few hints of, well, less artistic drive than others. When I see things like the shadows and footprints on page 7, I think of all the detail you went into, but then something comes along and changes it. While that may be, again, I judge compositions on the whole, and this is one of the most impressive entries I've seen that takes full advantage of the range of creativity that was allowed. Very good work, and may I just say that sweetjesusalmighty that was a tough rank to decide.
Artistic merit: 7

And now for something completely different:

lazyslaker
Critique: Very nice lines, although a bit uniform, and the color added to them is a nice touch. Character feels a bit "flash-y" and two dimensional; there's not much in the way of shading here, but too much dependence on line-weight carrying the idea over. The background definitely could have used a bit more effort, and the compositional space feels a bit disregarded with the subject's legs truncated and this weird feeling of her being sucked to the right side of the page. Overall, a nice job with room for improvement.. I think of how great this actually could have been with a few more things considered and a few more hours spent. I won't comment much about the relevance to Christmas; it's barely there, but enough to give it some credibility. I mean, she is an elf, after all.
Relevance: 4

mofo09
Critique: Kid, I like this work a whole damn lot and I don't want you to stop entering contests because you are going to rule everyone's ass one day. Conceptually, this is the greatest out of all the entries, and that alone was almost enough to carry it into my top 3. This has effort, it has heart, it has a lot of consideration into theme and just because it isn't flashy and colorful doesn't mean it doesn't work. In fact, the whole gritty, smudgy graphite feel contributes a lot to the theme of the piece, and that means a lot, whether you intended it or not. The figure is placed so arbitrary, like a lost boy or something *not a bad thing* , in an environment that could have been a little bit darker and more definted (line wise) to add to the whole thing. Perspective is a bit of an issue as well, and the shading just needed a bit more attention and you could have nailed it. This was a very close call into the top 3, and you should be pretty proud of this. Great work.

Snowfox
Critique: Haha, I actually like this one (to an extent, don't pm me boobthread people) and like a lot of things about it. The characters are pretty cute, the color selection and shadowing is well done, even your use of space is efficient (considering you had to fit text bubbles in.) That said, I see anatomical issues that irk me a bit.. especially with knuckles, kneecaps, scapula, and abdomen. Not anything to get upset over, but it is quite noticeable in a piece that pays so much attention to figure in more ways that one. The lines are uniform in most parts, though it doesn't affect much, and the coloring on the box makes it way too flat. Relevance to theme? Slight, but it's there. You have the environment going, but I feel a little creativity could have gone a long way. Nice work.
Relevance: 5

Jats
Critique: Your colors gave me a seizure. No, really, they are great, but the values are very extreme and can be toned down a bit... the first things you notice are the ribbons on the gifts and that shouldn't be the case, unless they are the subject of the composition. That said, they're well done, along with the frames of the window and the picture. The chroma is vivid enough to hide the lines, and I'm not exactly sure if it's a good or bad thing. For one, it hides everything, and makes it take longer to find things in the piece. On the other hand, it gives them substance when you finally do find them. The anatomy is generally good, a bit too small in some parts but it seems well enough. I just wish you had picked colors that go along a lot better and weren't so... in my face. Remember, colors change when they're placed beside a constrasting one. I'm not really gonna go into the relevance issue here... again, it's there, but hardly.
Artistic merit: 6

(continued in next post)
Shaolin-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
Shaolin-style
be attitude for gains

Send a message via AIM to Shaolin-style

Chastain
Critique: My unbiased, official opinion on this: Good effort. Great anatomy. Boring subject. Eye-gouging color. Little relevance. She's not even an elf for crying out loud. The colored lines are nice because they give her a soft quality, but the shadowing is so incredibly solid that they give her no dimension whatsoever, she just lays flat on the page/screen. This goes for the candy cane too, but moreso. I like the boots and that little hint of light you give on them. Honestly, the colors are just too far from traditional red and green to work at all.. it's like easter in winter. the white outline kills the figure because she does not have any dark lines or shadows, and those that she does have are extremely thin and do not vary. The hair needs those lines/shadows the most. The compositional space is used well. It might not do much for a static image, but it works to some extent. Again, as with the previous pieces, little relevance to theme, and just because she is topless does not make it more irrelevant; it just seems in bad taste because in this case it is gratuitous, not artistic. Good work and good effort, though.
Artistic merit: 7

emmapeel
Critique: I like the idea of a simplistic vector piece with flat colors, but it just seems too static to me to actually be anything more than what I'm seeing. The drawn parts are nice, the faces and hands are realistic and believable. I think there are so many other places you could have taken this if you had put a little more thought into it. Minimalistic is nice, but what I think is nice about it is how it makes you think of what you aren't seeing; the negative space, the notes you aren't playing, etc. Frankly, I can't even make out how one of the arms connects to the shoulder.. Mary is just a formless mass. Nice idea, needed more thought and effort.
Artistic Merit: 4

emmapeel #2
Critique: Haha, I'm not even sure if I should critique this... I'm pretty sure it was a gift for oolong or a response to the boobthread. Um, if I were to do it seriously? More line variation, colors are too flat, hardly any background, not enough gratutious nudity.
... and what a lame joke too, I mean, come awn
Artistic Merit: 3
Relevance: 4

PhisH
Critique: I'll start off with the problem: it doesn't use space well enough. You've got this gigantic white space on the top, and even if this had been colored (which I feel would have helped a bit), it would not have made much of a difference. The lineart is excellent, very exact with shading and all, and I think you're like the only person so far to consider the effectiveness of line variation. The border is quite good too, I love that decoration you've got going there. The tree is good too, and there are a lot of things on it (and in this drawing) that are very small and precise. Again, what kills it for me is the use of compositional space... I could cut off the top half and it would still get the point across, perhaps a bit better because there's no empty space at the top. Your line work is great, as I've seen your stuff before, but you could've knocked this contest flat on it's ass if you put in that extra 10 percent.

afroXcore
Critique: Good effort, it's cute and all that good stuff. I know what you were going for with the background, but it didn't have to be that blurry, and could've used a bit more work, what with all that whitespace and all. The style is sketchy; I think it works well, but some shading could have made it more effective, as it really feels thrown together and a bit unfinished. A nice entry, I think of the potential this had if you put a bit more work into it.
Artistic merit: 6

darkreaver
Critique: Such a nice thing to look at, and funny at that, but there were a few things about it that made the difference between the top 3 and not the top 3. Your perspective and line use is so good, the houses are that cartoony "one window and one door and one garage door" thing but still look believable enough to be real. The figures correspond well with the angle and you carried the idea off perfectly. My beef was the coloring, which is nice at some points but really disappoints in others, mainly the ones that bring the most attention. The eye is immediately drawn to the center of the piece, where the lawn's coloring looks so rushed in comparison to that excellent lighting you have going on with the chimney on the right and the house on the left. The deciding factor for this was simply that I can kind of pinpoint where the amount of effort applied declined slightly, which takes away from everything. Use of compositional space is good and symmetrical, lines are clean and straight, and the theme is relevant and humorous. Overall great work, nearly in the top 3.
Artistic merit: 8
Relevance: 7

fatalM4
Critique: YOUR LINES ARE TERRIBLE AND YOUR COLORING IS FLAT, ALSO THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS BECAUSE SHE HAS CLEAVAGE SO YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED AS OF 18 YEARS AGO
Artistic Merit::tireM citsitrA
Relevance: i came

BrianLucey
Critique: Haha, I like this one a lot. The figure seems a bit squished in there, but a slight anatomical problem. This absolutely neeeeeeds a background, I can't have this guy flying around in purgatory like he owns the place. Even a small little something would have been nice, because the colors on this are pretty good (especially the legs) and the lines are comic book-y but not too heavy.. they vary in the right places and it looks like you put a lot of thought into that. The design of the character is pretty good too. I like this pose, it's quite dynamic, which I have seen very little of in the contest. More shading! Be daring, take a chance and exaggerate color in the direction of truth (that's a quote by some guy, I don't remember who), because it won't hurt you at all. Great entry.
Relevance: 7

falmith
Critique: Whew, this is nice. Firstly, the lineart itself, from what I can make out, is very good, although kind of simplistic. Not that that matters or makes it bad, just a thought. The coloring is dark and that carries out well through the whole thing.. the effect of that one spotlight above her is effectively shown in how it hits her jacket, the toy, the snow, etc. This.. however, feels unfinished to me, or that you could have done more with it. The coloring on the snow looks a bit fast.. the background is pretty much empty.. I like the snow falling and how it pops out of the page more than anything, but there is more I'd like to see happening on the page first. This is very good, though, and I'm loving the coloring on the figures. Nice work.

oringe
Critique: I hated it. Until I noticed that he has an ORANGE ON HIS SHIRT *dies* that is comic genius! Also: why is The Fonz passed out on his couch
Artistic Merit: this is actually pretty good
Relevance: haha nothing! or 10

ally
Critique: Oh, how I wish I wish I wish you could've finished this, ally. I love the design of the figure, the eccentric twists and thinness of the limbs, the coloring of the skin, the tones... it's all very good and you spent a lot of time on this, I bet. Actually, I know you did. A background would have really taken this to like, the North Pole of this contest, killing everyone along the way. It's just so.. visually appealing, the softness of the colors and the design aspect of the character and.. the hat, the hat is awesome. Just.. a background, next time :(

Holycrapthattooklike2hourstotypeoutandnowit's5:02a ndIhavetosleepthankyoubye
:o

thanks to everyone who entered! congrats :3
Shaolin-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Professor Az
TK-85650

First off, I'd like to apologize for being late. This was a tough bunch of pics to choose only three from. I know you've all been waiting to hear the last judge's choices, so here they are, in order:

#1. ChrisHerself - Very nice, I like the overall feel of this pic. I was ondering what the finished product would look like, and I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed. Excellent job of coloring, I'm especially liking the horse, you bet.
Aristic Merit: 10

#2. toetread - One word (and an extra point)... funny. Keeping it simple works for this pic. The guys in the office thought I was nuts from laughing so loud. I like the layout too, very effective use of negative space. The polar bear is just icing on the cake.
Artistic Merit: 8 (plus one point for just being plain old funny) = 9

3. pigeonkill - I have one weakness when it comes to these art contests, and it's always sequential art (even though it wasn't superhero comics). This one must have taken a lot of work, and it shows. The amount of effort is what helped me make the decision for this piece. Great job.
Artistic Merit: 8 (plus one point for maximum effort) = 9

I thought long and hard about this, and I'm not going to comment on any others as my fellow judges have. If you are interested in an individual critique, please drop me a PM, I'll be happy to give you a taste of the Razor's Edge.

Thank you for your patience, I've been out of it with that nasty bug that's been going around (I still feel like crap), and just got back online today. A big Thank You to everyone who entered, it's your participation that makes the art contests around here... interesting.

Last edited by Professor Az : 01-03-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Professor Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:42 AM   #6
ally
Treasurer of Beatdowntown

Send a message via AIM to ally Send a message via MSN to ally

that was highly dissapointing.

edit: congradulations to everyone :3

Last edited by ally : 01-04-2005 at 03:17 AM.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
RansomAvenue
Karbohydrate

Send a message via MSN to RansomAvenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin-style
fatalM4
Critique: YOUR LINES ARE TERRIBLE AND YOUR COLORING IS FLAT, ALSO THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRISTMAS BECAUSE SHE HAS CLEAVAGE SO YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED AS OF 18 YEARS AGO
Artistic Merit::tireM citsitrA
Relevance: i came
ROFLMAO

aw shame i wasnt around for this contest, i mighta come 19th or maybe even 18th if i tried hard enough, lots of great entries, especially chrisherself very good effort...

"bravo"

TommO (THe RooKie)
RansomAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
DN
I'm standing behind you.

We decided to go with the 5,4,3 scoring system like we usually did when we're picking 5 people, so that makes:

1. ChrisHerself
2. toetread
3. pigeonkill

Thanks to everyone that entered and I'll be contacting the winners to get their preferences for prizes and addresses to send to. Basically, Chris gets first choice, then toetread, and pigeon gets the leftovers. :p

You can email me or the rest of the mods if anyone has questions.
DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
CaptainSNAFU
Awesomologist

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '06 

Default re

Good job Chris.
CaptainSNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #10
toetread
Made in Japan

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Christmas Contest '04 

Darn you Chris! You wanted the same prize that I did. Ah, I guess I'll just have to do better next time.
toetread is offline   Reply With Quote