Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #661
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Time for more weekend work. having come back from my business trip in poland, the first i wanted to do in my mind was do another character sketch. But i resisted those urges and went back to doing landscapes as i still have a few on my desktop. i limited myself to only a couple of hours as opposed to the days i invest in drawing something.

This was Valbergsveien 866-868, 8370 Leknes, Norway

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #662
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

a bit of weekend work. Its incomplete. Wasn't feeling it (especially since i was working from 7.30am to 10pm on friday) and was itching to do more painting figures.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #663
Grieverjoe
Ever Skyward

Awards Showcase
Boss Battle - 3rd place:  - Issue reason: Popped a few potions and went on a rampage 
Total Awards: 1

You're making some awesome progress here, my dude.
One suggestion would be to make the shadows on the left have more of a blue tint to it, since they'd be reflecting light from the sky.
Grieverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #664
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

More weekend work. I was feeling excited to do another figure pic and i thought things were going ok with a low perspective approach. but after spending a day rendering it, i'm not entirely sure whether i want to continue with this.

i might just continue just to complete it and for sake of practice, but i don't feel anything for this pic and i haven;t sorted out the lighting/color/backgound yet.

i had thought to perhaps be a promotional poster for the imperial army in valkyria chronicles or perhaps an image of of a special forces unit in the game, but meh, guess i wasn't trying hard enough. Its probably why i don't make fan art at all. Its surprisingly difficult.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #665
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

more weekend work. I'm continuing with the picture from yesterday. to hell with canon, i'm doing my own thing now.

Its still incomplete, i haven't got all the details down for the armor (its going to be ornate and/or damaged with scratches and pock marked with bullet holes and such).

Lighting not done as i intend to do it all in one go using lasso/cell shading methods. Will probably stay black and white but its going to be a tough road ahead methinks.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #666
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

Weekend work and we finish the picture i was working on last week. Since i'm pressed for time (i need to pack my bags for my business trip to poland again) i didn't have time to change things extensively.

If i had more time, i would have expanded the canvas to get more of the battlefield/carnage/figures and such plus get composition to work out slightly better. This is probably where thumbnails come in handy but i just can't work small scale. In most cases my stuff is sort of spontaneous as opposed to planned.

i had hoped not go so comic book sketch like, i should have done more on the damage than leaving it basic scratches and pockmarked. But meh, it works and it conveys the idea well enough.