Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox
Default Speedpaint Walkthrough | Unearthed Dormant Creature II

Some of you were suggesting that I make a tutorial about coloring/painting in photoshop. I have already explained to some extent how I navigate in ps7/cs via shortcuts here , if you have not read that.

Every time I color something, I find that I do it slightly different. There is never really one way to do one thing or some magical formula that will solve your problems. You kind of have to just dive in and find out slowly (often painfully so), what works for you.

With that said, here's a walkthrough of a speedpaint I did a couple weeks ago. It was short enough and simple enough that I thought it illustrated my general process quite nicely.

One last thing before I begin: I know the water sucks. I hate it too. And also like to apologise in advance for my long-winded explainations. I talk too much. :S

Oh yeah, and anothe thing. This was done with a MOUSE. My tabby pen got stolen by Delimetrius, so I've gone back to basics.

Step 1: Concept
First Attempt

The concept I had for this was inspired by CA.org's DSG awhile back called "Unearthed Dormant Creature." I did a concept for it and submitted, but have ever since been intrigued by it. I liked the colors, idea, and the environment, but felt that the actual picture was lacking something. Perhaps it was static, there was nothing really in the foreground to catch the viewer's eye...it was just all background with no interesting foreground (something I'm notorious for).

So, one day, I decided to give the same concept another shot. The same idea, but presented in such a way that the viewer could further sense the enigmatic and huge nature of the "Unearthed Dormant Creature."

Step 2: Laying down blobs

I am a person who thinks in terms of blobs. My lines suck, especially if I don't have a reference. It's just the way I operate. So, I began by just laying down opaque blobs of black on a white background. I went through several drafts, all done very very quickly, just to get some kind of design going that I liked.

Step 3: Defining the blobs
After I got a series of blobs that i liked, I started refining them a little bit and adding some foreground blobs. I didn't know what these blobs were going to be, I just kind of layed them down and then saw something in them.

Step 4: Creating a focus/primitive lighting

After generally working the blobs out, I decided to work on some primitive lighting. I knew I wanted the light source to be shining from the mid left, so I focussed my fuzzy shading to the right. I unfocussed my eyes (made them all blurry) so that details wouldnt distract and just painted with a very large soft brush on low opacity and flow. After I was satisfied, I just left it alone.

Step 5: Background and layering

Looking at the picture, I noticed there was a kind of bald spot off to the left, so I thought some mountains would look nice. They took very little time. Then, I decided that I needed to start to add depth to my foreground blob in front of the Creature.

To do this, I made my brush smaller with the color totally black. I turned the opacity of the brush to...uh...i dont know, probably about 30% and then drew a bumpyish line of blobs. After doing the first line, keeping the same opacity, I drew a 2nd line. I did this with several blobish lines, each one getting darker and darker because each new line/stroke overlapped the last.

It looked a little choppy in some areas, so I turned the opacity then to about 60% and used the eye dropper tool to smooth out some areas so that it wasn't riddled with hard lines. If you want an example of where I did NOT do this, check out the taller figure to the left. I was going rather quickly and forgot him.

Step 6: BS Texture Overlay
The picture was missing texture, so I went to my library of texture brushes, picked one I liked, and painted at 100% opacity over the entire picture. This looked rather silly/ugly, so, I just adjusted some layer properties like opacity, then scrolled through the blending modes until I found the best looking one.

Step 7: Color Overlay
At this point, I deemed my quick little picture sufficient in the realm of black and white. Sure, there were obvious flaws, but this is a quickie, remember. Don't want to sweat the small stuff.

I referenced the color used in my original picture, and on top of ALL the other layers, filled the entire screen leaving nothing viewable but a giant sea of green. Then, I messed with the layer's opacity and changed the blending mode to color (color and hue work nicely)

This approach is kind of different to the tutorials that I have read. They always said to color underneath the lineart, but with painting I found that kind of bothersome, so I prefer to color on top.

Step 8: Adding color to the monochrome overlay
Again, referencing some colors used in the original picture, I took a very large, soft brush and set the brush to color dodge, or something like that. Then, I pretended that I was light and just started hitting all the major surfaces that I thought that light would hit coming from the left. I added some hue to the shadows (a dull purple) and just a slight hint of blue for the mountains.

Step 9: Foreground Color
Nothing special. Just added some color to the guy praying to the right and the shizzy water nearest the viewer.

If you color over black and white, the layer must have its properties changed. Which setting you want depends entirely on the circumstance. What I did to color the dude to the right was, get a bold red color, scribble over his coat a little, then clicked on the layer blending dropdown. From there, I just scrolled through the options with my arrow keys until I found one that worked. Then, I pressed ctrl + U to scroll through some alternate colors to make sure that was the red I wanted.

Step 10: Going crazy with color dodge

I have a basic picture. I have a black and white that doesn't look too aweful, colors on top to make it pop...but there was something else missing. So, I thought about it for about 3.141 seconds and decided to add small spheres of energy above the worshipping masses of blobular people. Why? Because it's cool.

::::Summing up::::
1. Create black and white picture that could pass on it's own. If you don't have your black and white up to par, you might just end up with a bloody mess.

2. Fill a layer with color and change it's properties to whatever looks best.

3. Continue coloring like a madman.

4. When you think it looks good, STOP! Do not touch it again for a couple hours, or however long it takes for your perspective to refresh itself. Overworking pictures is tempting and easy to do.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter

Last edited by Jeanox : 11-14-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
d00d
chasing dreams

Send a message via MSN to d00d

awesome tutorial i must say =D will use them at my next project, hope u won't be angry about that ^^

d00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 

argghh! *starts to flail on d00d with a rubber chicken*

No, by all means, try this out if you want to. But more than anything, remember to just find what works for you.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
CaptainSNAFU
Awesomologist

Awards Showcase
3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Halloween Contest '06 
Total Awards: 1

Default re

Bitchin'.

I've been looking for different ways of doing this.
CaptainSNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
sludger
Resident Sloo

Send a message via AIM to sludger Send a message via MSN to sludger

I do it almost the same way, I paint in black and white then overlay colors. I think it's best in some ways because you worry about values and bases instead of colors. Then you can worry about them later. Makes it faster also.

Good tutorial wiggle. ^_^
sludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Quote:
you worry about values and bases instead of colors
Exactly. If it looks good in black and white then the chances it will look good in color drastically increase.

thx. :B

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 11-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #7
jt4470
Karbonite

hmm..none of the images are showing up for me
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Sparrow
Thanks for all the fish

Send a message via MSN to Sparrow

Can't see em either :(
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Yeah, sorry. I'm redoing my website and moved the files without thinking. It should be working now. :b

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
jt4470
Karbonite

cool, thanks!
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #11
Steasaurus
rawr

Awesome... and I think I find myself owning a tabby and miss wiggle doesn't :P unless you managed to steal it back from Delimetrius. Anyway awesome mouse work *applause* I'll be having me a go with this method.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #12
Makkon
BRAINS

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 1

Perhaps I should try your baclground techniques. I myself am getting tired of my own art as it lacks real atmosphere.
Later today, after I do my mountain of homework and study the ACT for 2 hours, I'll read through your tut more carefully, see if I don't!!!
Makkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Thanks guys.

5te: Yeah, I got my pen back about 3 weeks ago. Drawing with a mouse and a tabby both have their own advantages and drawbacks. I find myself using both now. :b

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Steasaurus
rawr

\o/ woo that means my skills with mouse drawing are not going to be wasted
Suprisingly I'm more comfortable drawing with a mouse now than i am using a pencil. Though I must admit a mouse forces me to take my time and I hope a tablet can increase my speed
I guess I just gotta practice now...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase

Actually, a mouse helped me move faster. At first it was a little annoying without the pressure sensativity, but it really taught me to make my strokes worth it, if you know what I mean. It's easy to make half a million strokes with a tablet, but it takes longer with a mouse. So, you make each stroke count more and you save a lot of time. I actually did exercieses where I limited myself to x amount of strokes. It's not bad.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter