Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > COMMUNITY > Member Created Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

Default hanzozuken's school of style

well i'm here again to help those aspiring artists out there.this is my second tutorial and hopefully people will find this helpful. i'm not good by any means because other people pwn the hell out of me but i'll try and enlighten people who just need that extra kick in their art. these are the steps i take in my art and some of it might be wrong or right. you can judge for yourselfs. like in the title this is for drawing men. i dont think i will do one for woman because other people draw women way sexier than me so i'll let them make their own tutorial.just so you know i might skip steps that other might need but hopefully you can fill in the blanks and i will try and be as descriptive as possible.i did most of these with a pen but whatever. main things needed are pencils, paper and a possible marker........ let's begin.

TORSO
i draw the basic shape of the torso thats in my style. i make the top half bigger as the appearance of bigger pectorals on a man have the illusion of strength.i try and make the waist skinny but not too skinny.

second step i take is to draw the muscles very loosely and just make sure proportions are good. i dont go into too much detail here because erasing sucks.

third once i'm happen witht the proportions i go in and add detail such as muscle placement and a little bit of other body parts just to get the feel of weight and roundness. i try not to make the poses seem boring or static because its not fun to look at.

now this next step is purely for people like me who like contrast in their pictures. i try and see my art in the black and white sense, to see whether or not it looks good without the addition of color. i draw the main light source point to make sure that the shadows go on the opposite part of the body. but i also add a second light point since thats my style. it also give the illusion of solidity. it seems to pop out more.so i go in and make shapes for the blacks to go in. i rarely make shadows the way they would appear in real life because again thats my way of drawing.i personally think it looks cool.

then i go and fill the blacks. easy enough.

now this is another step many might skip but i'll put it here since again this is my school of drawing. so sit down and shut up. haha anyways i go and add crosshatching to the black areas as a blending tool between the black and white areas. i draw small parallel lines everywhere where needed. you can put them where you want depending on your thinking and style.

ARMS
the arms are easy enough at least to me but again i'll try and be as indepth as possible. i start with a circle and i go down a bit farther and draw a cone without the pointy end. again its about making certain parts bigger than other for the appearance of strength. i draw the bulge of the bicep and the muscle of the tricep. next i go down and draw the elbow in relation to the fat end of the cone and muscles added. i draw a hand roughly in proportion to the drawing.

next i go in and add the deatils again of the arm muscles.

wash rinse and repeat for light sources. again i use shapes for the blacks instead of the way they might normally look.

fill in blacks

again with the crosshatching.

i wont describe how to draw hands and feet because other people have those tutorials. next is...................

LEGS
more shapes needed. i see the human body just primarily composed or spheres, cones, and cubes.

i go in and draw the muscles but i dont make them too big because to me at least it seems weird for a man to have i big upper body, slender waist and then thunder thighs.

fun shapes and light sources. i really never go into too much details with the kneecap as personally i think it looks disgusting. but to each there own.

fill in areas.........

and go crazy with lines.

HEADS

i draw the shape that i use for heads. this time i'll do a side view and a 3/4ths view. i draw the symmetrical line in the middle of the head and the eyeline. the eyeline is supposed to be half of the head

next i go in and add the eyebrows and nose lines. the nose line is again half the distance between the eyeline and chin. the mouth line is a third of the way down from the nose and the chin. i draw the upper lip slightly protruding and make the chin come out and look sturdy.

next i go in and add more details such as eyeballs, cheekbones, the cartilage in the ear as well as lips and eyebrows.i also define the jawline because men are supposed to have strong jaws for eating all that meat.

i go in and add the hairline and a neck. i like to draw skinny necks but i dont think these look too skinny.

next step is i inked the head so you can see what lines i went with for a semifinished product.

well thats it for body parts but one last thing i want to mention. i use line variation a lot in my artwork. it just seems to pop out more and gives a drawing weight as well as depth. there are rules to linework but i dont really follow them to well as i'm still learning. linework is important in inking and well as rendering which i am still a student of. the last image is just to show you how important line variation is.

the one on the left is blend and boring while the one on the right is screaming action. go ahead and experiment with line variation. i say it cant really hurt your drawing only help it.

well thats it for now. hopefully not too many people say i suck and make me cry. i just wanna help and show you a little part in the process of my thinking and style.

Last edited by hanzozuken : 09-03-2007 at 11:53 AM.
hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
IAC
Blinky Blink

Send a message via AIM to IAC Send a message via MSN to IAC Send a message via Yahoo to IAC

Nice tut dude, why aren't you on AIM?!
IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
b1zz0b
Put your pants down.

Send a message via AIM to b1zz0b

It's always interesting to see progress shots from another artist. I picked up something I'm going to try with the secondary lightsources. It makes sense to figure them in the lineart instead of waiting until the colors.
b1zz0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
mofo09
oo

Send a message via MSN to mofo09

dayum, you rule
mofo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Gaara
騎士

Send a message via AIM to Gaara

your style is so excellent. I wish I had seen tuts like this when I first started drawing, I burned out on a lot of art because I couldn't seem to break away from an obnoxiously smooth-pointy anime style, this solid and squared style is amazing.

Last edited by Gaara : 09-22-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
jt4470
Karbonite

wow, sweet. Could you maybe put it all together? like..how you do a full body figure
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
McGarnacle
coins in a wishing well.

You've inspired me to draw! Great tutorial.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

as soon as i get a chance i'll show everyone a step by step process for a finished drawing in my style.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
londonman
Karbonite

ummmmmmm can u make a tutriol on how to center eyes
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 10-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

sorry it took me so long londonman but heres a very quick rough cut of how to center eyes. as you can prolly guess in the picture the middle line running up and down is supposed to represent the middle of the head if it was cut in two.i sometimes just add the hashmarks to roughly represent how big the eyes are supposed to be because the guideline for eyeballs is that they are spaced out far enough to have a third eye fit in between. its as simple as that. i also added guidelines for the basic structure of the face as far as where a nose is supposed to go and lips and such. i did this very quick because i am going to try and show a step by step process for a rough idea to finished drawing and rendering added to this tut.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #11
johnway
Master of rubbish art.

some fine work there. My only concern now is getting the muscles right and the surface detail correct. Surely there must be an easy way to learn this stuff and i don't need to learn every strand of muscle goes where. I'm sure there are key muscles somewhere that can be easily blocked out for shape.

Edit: tutorial on drawing lips? Mine end up looking a bit too fat or female like.

"Life is one great journey. Shame about the destination"
johnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

Default from start to finish in pencil

ok here is what i was working on for you guys this afternoon. took me about 3 hours with bathrooms breaks and smoke breaks included. for todays example i chose superman since he's iconic and some people say they like the way i draw him, i dunno. anyways i used my dig camera instead of scanning the image because i used 11 by 17 paper and i draw very lightly to begin with so the scanner sometimes has a hard time picking up my linework anyways. so here we go.

1. i roughly pencil in the body. i had to darken the picture so you can eveen try and see my lines.

2.i go over and roughly shape out the body.

3.again going over and roughly drawing more but more attention is given to the face because if the face doesnt look right sometimes everything goes wrong.

4. next i try and figure out the cape movement. just nice solid strokes but very loose not too hard on the paper.

5.i go over and slighten darken up my lines but not hard on the paper for erasing sake. again just tightening things up.

6.just trying to putz with the hair. personally i think superman's hair is boring and yet still a challenge

7.next i sharpen my pencil and start making my final lines which means having a sharp pencil is key.

8. started finding a flow i was happy with the cape, drawing folds on clothing is hard.

9. i was experimenting with a different style that people told me to try on my inking tutorial by not adding blacks and making the shapes suggestive. i didnt go crazy with crosshatching on here because i prefer to crasshatch with more blacks in the picture but i did add some.

10. this is the finished drawing in pencil.

hopefully this helps you out or inspires you. im gonna try and ink this bad boy and post it in my sketchbook. any questions feel free to pm me

Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
jt4470
Karbonite

wow, amazing.
Do you have any tips on drawing dynamic or forshortened figures?
jt4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

haha wow looks like this tutorial is gonna get bigger than i thought it would. i will try and accomidate your questions for lips and foreshortening as best as i can when i get a chance. but stay tuned for more.maybe looking at my skecthbook might help out as i have a lot of loose stuff in there too. but i will update here.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
AnimeAce
Karbonite

Not that I want to be a bother, but could you please do a hand tutorial? I never can really get them right

Last edited by AnimeAce : 11-01-2006 at 03:32 AM.
AnimeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #16
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

sure why not, ill add it to the things you'll see in the future. that said, i'm going to show lips, hands, and folds in clothes. anything else some people would like help with??

Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
DutchDevil
Karbonite

Wooow great this reallly is going to help me out , and its defniatly better then the book i have its very usefull! at this moment im drawing the superman, * dont worry after i'm finished , the creds go to you!''

thanks alot for this tut!!!

EDIT:

this is what in have so far:

ill continieu tomorrow ,, there is somethin bout his right (our left) chest/shoulder but im kinda relieved:P

Last edited by DutchDevil : 10-11-2006 at 11:28 AM.
DutchDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #18
TKN
Machine Head

Send a message via MSN to TKN

you. rule. hanzo. o_O

xtremely inspiring as with all ur other stuff, this must be one of the best tutorials in existence EVER.

THANK YOU!!!

* Check out my Sketchbook - Latest Update September 26th * (LOL kinda dead xD)

Deviant Artist? Click here!
TKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #19
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

@tkn thanks a lot tkn, i will try and make it better trust me.
@dutchdevil try bringing in the bicep and making it closer to the body. also try and beef up the other shoulder, come on this is superman!!haha looks great cant wait to see it done

Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
DutchDevil
Karbonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzozuken
@tkn thanks a lot tkn, i will try and make it better trust me.
@dutchdevil try bringing in the bicep and making it closer to the body. also try and beef up the other shoulder, come on this is superman!!haha looks great cant wait to see it done
okey, i was about to continieu today but imnot feeling so well so ill show you prolly saturday what i have anyways very muuch thanks!

DutchDevil is offline   Reply With Quote