Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Tara
Karbonite

Default Pages from the rainy city

This sketchbook consists mostly of my work outside of class, the almost non-existent moments where i just get to draw what ever i want for myself. Mostly pages from my most recent sketchbook (fabriano artists journal...all tinted paper! truly fantastic) so heres whats new:

Bus stop business man, sketchin people waitin for the bus, brush pen, colored pencil, tech pencil

Childish robot with fireflies
letraset marker, white paint marker and colored pencil

Blue bird woman,
colored pencils

Wake up donnie,
sketched while watching the movie, pen and ink

robot time, doodle during a lecture in class, tech pencil, photoshop highlights

and i'll save some for next post
until then, thanks for checkin it out
-Tara
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Toffeeliz
coffee monster

Send a message via MSN to Toffeeliz

wow. I love your colours and composition. Welcome to Polykarbon and please make yourself at home! My faves are robot time and blue bird woman.
Toffeeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
OniCloud
Nomad

Send a message via AIM to OniCloud

really nice sketches, I like the donnie darko sketch and the blue bird one as well nice use of colors

OniCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
rc_r6
Pencilhead

I can see great skill developing...keep it up.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Tara
Karbonite

Default update

some more stuff: a t-shirt concept for class, came fourth so it didnt get chosen

a sea-witch, i kinda felt like doing somthing comic-style again

robot, tweaked in photoshop for pop

thanks for the comments
-t
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
IAC
Blinky Blink

Send a message via AIM to IAC Send a message via MSN to IAC Send a message via Yahoo to IAC

Allow me roll my tongue back in and close my jaw. you have some awesome stuff here! I'd love to see some of your finished works, have you got any? I can't wait to see more, oh yeah and welcome to poly!
IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Tara
Karbonite

I do have a lot actually, mostly schoolwork though, and on canvas or large format so its hard to get online
we go digital at school next year, so anticipate some more finished digital work then. i mostly do traditional rendering now.
also when i get my GDC portfolio up and running i'll have a bunch of my traditional stuff pro-scanned
so..to answer your question, yeah soon. also thanks for the welcome, i was here in the early days when PK was just starting up but i was about 14 and my style has evolved a lot
cheers,
t
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Meatloaf
Brett

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 1 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Movie Poster Contest '08 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: LEGO Illustration Contest '11 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 3rd Place:  - Issue reason: Video Game Sequential Contest '07 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via MSN to Meatloaf

Very nice. Everything seems like it came out smoothly as you were drawing. I don't know if that makes sense, but its very loose and smooth.The toned paper is also interesting. Excuse me if I'm rambling Its just refreshing to see stuff like this.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Tara
Karbonite

thanks, it does make sense actually.. the toned paper is a really great sketchbook i got called: fabriano artist's journal, every 20 or so pages it changes color.

bored at school so i thought i might post some more sketches,

this is a digital wip for a playing card project last term at school, i ended up coloring it by hand but i still like the digital version, plus i havent got my originals back yet

random doodles, highlighted in photoshop for pop

a girly reaper, more akin to Neil Gaimans Death.

and thats it
Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Kilnreve
If only I was a fairy...

It all looks great

Kilnreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
Jigo
Karbonite
Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Song Illustration Contest '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Pimp This Sketch Contest '10 
Total Awards: 2

I amabsolutely loving the right hand page of your first sketchbook page.I love the loose ink more than anything, and I also like the random doodles page. there are some really elegant and beautiful things in there.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Tara
Karbonite

thanks im really loving the life drawing right now, its changed the way i draw people and environments, so some of my best recent stuff its just straight from life...

some old sketchbook pages

Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Kwiix
The Horror

Default R

Whoa...another person with awesome pen sketching skills! Don't stop know, keep posting. I'll wait right here.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Jeanox
Hapless Ninny

Awards Showcase
1st Place:  - Issue reason: Epic Summer Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: New Year '07 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Time Lapse Contest '09 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Valentines Contest '06 2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Team Battle '06 
Total Awards: 6

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeanox

Quote:
we go digital at school next year
Where the heck are you going to school at?! At my uni, the professors dont even know what digital painting is.

if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.

Tumblr
Youtube
ArtStation
Twitter
Jeanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
Tara
Karbonite

hey thanks,
yeah, my program is both design and illustration based so we learn everything from packaging to pre-renaissance painting..i love it..

Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
DaiKamonohashi
藍の色は愛の色だ!

Awards Showcase
2nd Place:  - Issue reason: Horror Fest '08 Phase 2 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via AIM to DaiKamonohashi

Whoa... I think Jigokuen said it best when she used the word "elegant." Great stuff you've got here!

Last edited by DaiKamonohashi : 04-13-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Jin, what?
DaiKamonohashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
hanzozuken
ZUKKKEEENNNEEDDD!!!!

wow awesome sketch work man, im stunned at the beauty in some of your sketches and poses. keep up the great work.

hanzozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
Tara
Karbonite

Default stuff from today

thanks guys,

I had to do gallery duty at the 3rd yrs grad show today, 4hrs of sitting in a convention center downtown by myself...needless to say i got some sketching done...
first up, lately iv been
writing "Cadence", as far as graphs go just trying to figure out my style, i'll probably do a trace over to get the lines right before i finish

some character concepts for my graphic novel Hidden City for the main character Sia.

random sketch, central figure is Sia, other than that, all sketches on location of the conference center, outside trees ect...

so all n all a pretty productive day... last sketch took 2.5 hr. prev two about 1/2 hr each.
messed around a bit in photoshop with the first two though, so that took longer..
thanks
-t
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
clone
reformed trunxx

Send a message via AIM to clone

Ugh that last sketchbook page is so well used it sickens me (in a good way). Your style is also very slick and it's really tough to fault you anywhere cause it all just looks so damn good together.

A question: How long does it take you to do a full page of stuff like you did for the most recent posting, and do you have a layout made up in your head beforehand?

Lastly, I love the way you manipulate your pen sketches in Photoshop at the end. It gives them such a groovy flow to it. Would you mind if I tried the same technique? I'd feel a bit lame stealing someone else's idea without asking about it first. I think our styles are so drastically different the effect would be completely different.

Anyways, awesome stuff. The atmosphere of the concepts on your comic ideas are great. I'd love to see more.

--::The place I hang my Hat::--
Newly Updated 11/29
clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #20
Tara
Karbonite

hey what a comment thanks!
to answer your question, that last page i posted took 2.5 hrs, and if im doing somthing serious or trying to render a difficult pose i'll do thumbnails and lay it out, but for somthing like this, no it kinda just evolves.. the central figure, Sia was first and then the ivy.. Everything else sorta just radiated out from the center.

secondly.. to me there is a difference between style and technique: Style is a specific artists way of drawing. Its intuitive, personal and impossible to replicate perfectly.
Technique on the other hand is a certain way of rendering, a trick of the trade or method (hatching, glow highlights, specific color palettes) these things belong to no one and should be shared.
Every artist today has at one point used another artists techniques, its how we learn!
Even when two artists apply the same technique, because the styles are different the effect is different.

so that was the long winded way of me saying of-course and by all means.
i'd like to see how it turns out.
cheers -t