Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
kuro-mizu
>.>

Default UPDATE 6/16/08 KM's Sketches!

Like most sketchbooks this one goes from oldest to newest... to see my newest pieces I recommend you head to the end of this sketchbook!

here are some more SEMI realistic pieces (still practicing realism)-

I was trying to draw myself so yeah the dude in the photo is me.. Yep...

and here are my best Anime pieces-

Last edited by kuro-mizu : 06-16-2008 at 03:44 PM.
kuro-mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Moniker
Ouendaaaaan!

I like your digital art. It's way better than I can pull off, anyway...

the picture of the purple-haired girl is my favorite. It's FUNKY FRESH!

All in all, it's very good work.

Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
clavis
Karbonite

I like the first semi-realistic piece; it looks like the person in the photo without looking like a carbon copy. You managed to mix in your own style, which is great.

I'd suggest you try getting more contrast in your colored stuff, and shade with complementary colors instead of black.
clavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker
I like your digital art. It's way better than I can pull off, anyway...

the picture of the purple-haired girl is my favorite. It's FUNKY FRESH!

All in all, it's very good work.
thanks alot! You like the purple haired one the best eh? its funny cuz I actually just did it for fun without worrying about anatmoy or anything but alot of people seem to like it... Im glad you could tell it was a girl though... so many people mistake it for a guy T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavis
I like the first semi-realistic piece; it looks like the person in the photo without looking like a carbon copy. You managed to mix in your own style, which is great.

I'd suggest you try getting more contrast in your colored stuff, and shade with complementary colors instead of black.
Yes I suck at contrast in shading hehe.. Im always afraid of ruining the shading. I will definitely have to work on it.
I will have to try shading using complimentary colors. I think not only would that be fun but it would look really cool too (kinda like your avi)

thanks though ^_^
Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
KcManifesto
Avoiding hands since 1990

Send a message via AIM to KcManifesto Send a message via MSN to KcManifesto

Hey Vernhal, I like your style of lineart and all- but your giving me a '1-note' feel. like your playing the same card again and again. Don't take that the wrong way, your art is hunky-dory. A good site to the eyes to see so much completed work. Almost all the faces are turning the right way, same shading technique. Just mix it up a bit man, commingle all that style you got and do something out of character.
KcManifesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
kuro-mizu
>.>

UPDATE-
(6/02/07)

Just finished this one... Would like some comments on it plz *pouts*

Btw I drew this entirely with Bic pen... then colored with photoshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcManifesto
Hey Vernhal, I like your style of lineart and all- but your giving me a '1-note' feel. like your playing the same card again and again. Don't take that the wrong way, your art is hunky-dory. A good site to the eyes to see so much completed work. Almost all the faces are turning the right way, same shading technique. Just mix it up a bit man, commingle all that style you got and do something out of character.
Oh I definitely dont' take that the wrong way! Thats the one thing about my art that always bugs me... I always feel like I'm doing the same thing...

I am definitely gonna take your advice and try and do something completely different.

But for now here are three more...

Here is a woodelf I drew... the hair looks kinda weird.

Here is something I drew when I was feeling kinda down-

and an assignemnt I did for art class.... just random. Also I couldn't scan it so it is a photograph.

Last edited by kuro-mizu : 06-06-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

Your stuff looks really good! I like the wood elf - it looks like a real femme version of Link, lol.
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by srilyk
Your stuff looks really good! I like the wood elf - it looks like a real femme version of Link, lol.
it would be a VERY femme version since she is a girl hehe...

Im glad you like it ^_^But don't be afraid to critique!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
kuro-mizu
>.>

6/06/2007-
Just finished this one... Practicing a more painted feel...

Has a story too... if you want to read it!

"Beware the mountain trails... they be dangerous parts"

Tsumi ignored the warning as he ascended the mountain. He knew the mountains could be dangerous. Not because of the Storm he could see quickly approaching, but because he himself was traveling them.

Although he was only 16, he had already killed around 100 men and was wanted throughout the land of Zebelun. One of the worlds many serial killers.

But unlike most serial killers he did not kill because he got a high from killing others, from holding the life of another in the palm of his hand. Instead he killed to help the weak, the innocent. He fancied himself a sort of extra-violent robin hood.

He could hear voices up the path and he stiffened. He heard a whip crack. A man screamed and then moaned. These were slave drivers.

He showed no emotion as entered the path of the slave drivers. He slowly removed his neckalce and placed his hand palm down to start the elf magic that would enchant it and transform it into a brutal weapon. The blade Kuro-Mizu.

Sparkles shined more brightly then the night sky. Then blood ran... trickling down the mountain. All the slaves ran except for one... A young boy with fox ears....

Last edited by kuro-mizu : 06-07-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
crashMMVII
WORT WORT WORT

Awesome! You're a pretty good writer as well

You should do more stories like that, or even better, continue that one.
crashMMVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashMMVII
Awesome! You're a pretty good writer as well

You should do more stories like that, or even better, continue that one.

I actually plan on making a comic book with these characters! so yeah thats where the story is going!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
jeco
Industriously apathetic

there seems to be something odd about the way you draw lips. not sure exactly what it is. they seem kinda large and shapely but undefined in the third dimension.

Sketchbook
jeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeco
there seems to be something odd about the way you draw lips. not sure exactly what it is. they seem kinda large and shapely but undefined in the third dimension.
Yeah I have noticed too... any suggestionS?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Surpasser
Hmhm

You want crits? oki ^^

First off... the pose the character is in isn't very... "dynamic"... and the backround makes it seem even more so... there's no link between the dude and the setting. the backround also lacks detail... you should've explored the elements you created to give the picture a better overall look... like, for example... using the main light source... which is the moon behind the dude... to shade and detail the coulds and mountains... the light doesn't seem to be affecting the dude at all either... which would be understandable if the other light source in the picture, coming from the right hand... were affecting him... but that doesn't seem to be happening either... as for anatomy... the proportions do seem to be okay, maybe just the size of the hands needs to be sorted out... and that left hand doesn't look right... try closing your's into a fist... it just doesn't look like that. another thing... is the detail... mainly with the folds... I don't see any folds at all on the glove... not sure if that was intentional, cause of the material or whatever... but it looks dull... the outfit does have potencial, but you should detail it more...

and.. what's that stuff on his left side? oO
Surpasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surpasser
You want crits? oki ^^

First off... the pose the character is in isn't very... "dynamic"... and the backround makes it seem even more so... there's no link between the dude and the setting. the backround also lacks detail... you should've explored the elements you created to give the picture a better overall look... like, for example... using the main light source... which is the moon behind the dude... to shade and detail the coulds and mountains... the light doesn't seem to be affecting the dude at all either... which would be understandable if the other light source in the picture, coming from the right hand... were affecting him... but that doesn't seem to be happening either... as for anatomy... the proportions do seem to be okay, maybe just the size of the hands needs to be sorted out... and that left hand doesn't look right... try closing your's into a fist... it just doesn't look like that. another thing... is the detail... mainly with the folds... I don't see any folds at all on the glove... not sure if that was intentional, cause of the material or whatever... but it looks dull... the outfit does have potencial, but you should detail it more...

and.. what's that stuff on his left side? oO
well I was going for a highly detailed large pile of crap but you know I got sidetracked and it got turned into some boulders...

actually yes I kid

But it is supposed to be boulders...

I would Have really liked to make the BG better to... But like right when I was getting to blending the body (I Had the hair and head done) my tablet died and I had to do it all with my mouse T_T

But thanks for the crit. I can definitely see that stuff!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
AmourFonce
Karbonite

You know, i'm really digging the faces that you've done and the way that you've stylized them, but I get the feeling that you're becomming a little doo comfy with it. Personally, I'd like to see you draw from a picture and not stylize the results. I think it'll help you improve on observation and you might even find something about it that you like.
AmourFonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmourFonce
You know, i'm really digging the faces that you've done and the way that you've stylized them, but I get the feeling that you're becomming a little doo comfy with it. Personally, I'd like to see you draw from a picture and not stylize the results. I think it'll help you improve on observation and you might even find something about it that you like.
Isnt all art stylized...?? O_o

Nahh I know what you mean. and yeah I have done some stuff like that... I wasn't too fond of the results but it was good practice and I shall continue! I SHAlL CONQUER REALISM!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #18
*_*flashies*_*
Sex?

Send a message via MSN to *_*flashies*_*

:0
You look really young for 16. Either way, I think the main problem with the lips is the fact you are drawing them off centre in some drawings. In others, you are getting the angle wrong.
You dont seem to be thinking of them in terms of 3d shapes, rather as though your drawing them like they are a 2d object.

The lip contour's to the face, it doesn't sit there facing the viewer even when the head is turned.
Make sure you change its angle accordingly.

Still, you have some nice stuff - and I'm sure you will come along nicely. Keep it up.
*_*flashies*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
kuro-mizu
>.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by *_*flashies*_*
:0
You look really young for 16. Either way, I think the main problem with the lips is the fact you are drawing them off centre in some drawings. In others, you are getting the angle wrong.
You dont seem to be thinking of them in terms of 3d shapes, rather as though your drawing them like they are a 2d object.

The lip contour's to the face, it doesn't sit there facing the viewer even when the head is turned.
Make sure you change its angle accordingly.

Still, you have some nice stuff - and I'm sure you will come along nicely. Keep it up.
OH... I get what you're saying. Your right I have just been rendering them as lines without thinking about their 3-d shape.
Thanks that will help me ALOT on my next drawing! ^_^
Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
kuro-mizu
>.>

Just letting you know Im gonna be gone for about 5 days! Ill try to post more after I get back!