Go Back   Polykarbon Art Forum > GALLERY > Sketchbooks
Register FAQ Members List Arcade IRC Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

Default BlackenedEyes first sketches

hey i am completely new to this but here are some basic sketches of anime heads. please comment on them. i think i need a better pencil though.

with realism in mind 2008-05-18

and some more this time with shade 2008-05-19

your right i need to look more at anatomy, and i could just not get the foot right. 2008-05-20

in middle of exams but i try to draw everday, i had maths today :(

2008-05-21

2008-05-25

2008-05-26

Last edited by BlackenedEyes : 05-26-2008 at 03:41 PM.
BlackenedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

Thanks. starting down the realism path, i drew these today. I think there of a better quality. one is from my imagination(the one with the small head/weird jaw) and the other from a school picture of me, it did not look like me at all hehe.

the tool thing is what i am using to sharpen my pencil :O.. i need a sharpener

Last edited by BlackenedEyes : 05-18-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: updated
BlackenedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
mercenary
Psych Ward

Welcome to Polykarbon.
What you need to do is put the anime on hold and focus on realism. One reason being is that anime is a style. Starting out with stylized art isn't the greatest move on the board. Because you'll become molded and stuck to one way of drawing and it will be difficult to learn other styles and approaches.
So start with the basics. Which are shapes, which are the basic building blocks for whatever you draw. Then anatomy, learn and study how the body works, moves, and maintains balance. Study your surroundings, color, lighting, prespective, people, things, etc. Use references, like magazines. Study other artist. It is preferable to study the artist who have a realistic style.
Learn and apply these things, as you continue to post here. Pay attention to how these things come together and as you improve you will develop your own style. Use the tutorials on the site to help you out. Keep your sketchbook alive so we can see your progress.
Yes it would be better if you down sized them.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
mercenary
Psych Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackenedEyes
ok i have done sized them and added some i did a while back.

i will start drawing more realistic sketches thanks i had one i liked but cant find it. Most of my drawing are from my imagination, is that a bad idea? should i try to sketch things i can see first.
It is not bad a idea to draw from imagination, just use references when in doubt or to gather ideas. When practicing, use references, even copy them if you must. This will help you to understand what you're drawing. Especially when you read about it, such as anatomy, color and lighting. But when it comes down to the final, such as for a contest or completed art. It should be original, don't use someone elses work as your own. But to use a reference to help you understand what you are drawing in order to complete it that is fine.

Yes you should sketch things that you can see, such as people, building, rooms, things in the room, etc. Practice everyday if you can, two minutes atleast.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

ok i have put some more i kicked about with some shadeing.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
fshoo`
For sure.

Send a message via MSN to fshoo`

Like mercenary pointed out already, reference should be used when you doubt if it's well drawn. BUT, you need reference a lot from now on. You need to learn the shapes of eyes, noses, ears, cheeks and everything else a head is made of. The same applies for the body. You need to study it thoroughly, because how else can you put a convincing character on paper? Gain knowledge, and then apply it. Good luck, young grasshopper ;D

fshoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

well i have done some work on feet. which i was finding hard. i used a foot tutorial whch was on someones signature which was really helpful.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

i have done some work on hands, there quite tough any tips or good tutorials
Old 05-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
BlackenedEyes
Karbonite

ok i just added the man with the hoody thing and no feet. i quite like it
Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
srilyk

Send a message via ICQ to srilyk Send a message via AIM to srilyk Send a message via MSN to srilyk Send a message via Yahoo to srilyk

I see a lot of improvement, however, I also see a lack of confidence with your lines. It's one thing to be "sketchy" because you want the effect, and you have confidence in your lines, it's another thing to just "feather" your lines.

It's not a hard rule, just a guideline. Try to use one line where you can. Keep learning anatomy. If you can spare $50, riven phoenix has some great anatomical tutorials from the ground up. If not, still check out his youtube channel and go find the ~10 minute vids on the head, they will be super helpful.

Keep up the progression.

Sketch Exchanges:
Now with more <InnerShadow>
Over 9000! - with <ssjmvegita>

You want eyes? Get them here!
srilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Semaju
Semaju

hey hehe u remind me of me wen i started, i think u should chek up on anatamy for drawing, u can find tutorials for it, alsoprobs just do a hell of alota tutorials and ud be drawing in no time
Semaju is offline   Reply With Quote